1056 Ashford Avenue
Condado, PR 00907Neighborhood:
AsianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.budatai.com/
- Phone: (787) 725-6919
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Wednesday: 11:30am - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 11:30am - 12:00am, Sunday: 11:30am - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American, Asian
- Executive Chef: Roberto Treviño
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch
A word from Budatai
As soon as you enter Budatai you are enthralled by the charm of its exotic, lavish atmosphere. A collection of Buddha statues and oriental colors help create the special atmosphere that go well beyond your expectations to ensure a relaxing yet exciting experience. An incredible energy and unique ambiance – 3-in-1 (restaurant, bar, terrace) venue is an exceptional restaurant concept. The bar mezzanine, looks out over the dining area where the most beautiful view of San Juan"s "La Ventana al Mar" frames swinging palm trees and ocean waves. Chef Roberto Treviño has successfully merged in his menu oriental inspired delicacies with traditional elements of Puerto Rican cookery. Your taste buds travel to far away lands and inventiveness nests in your plate. Chef Treviño calls upon his charms and endless creativity to create a culinary art score that skillfully combines exotic delicacies with high-class cuisine.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Budatai - Best Restaurants in Condado ›
Budatai reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since July 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (18)romantic (18)fit for foodies (16)good for groups (14)hot spot (14)neighborhood gem (12)scenic view (11)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (4)notable wine list (3)great for lunch (2)great for outdoor dining (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 10/10/2014Have been going to buddha thai since they opened. every trip to Puerto Rico has us going back. Consistantly the best Asain Fushion food, anywhere. Attentive professional service, nice attmosphere, and great food. the dumplings are a must. The filet minon is prepared in a great asain style sauce. Any of the noodle dishes will have you coming backfor more.Special Features:
- PatriciamiaDined on 9/25/2014My favorite dishes were the Halibut sashimi and the Tuna plate. Do not order the grilled octopus if you don't like salty food. The service was below average in my opinion. I will go back exclusively for the food. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placeFWtravelsDined on 9/20/2014Took my wife here for her birthday dinner. 1st time in PR so wasn't sure what to expect. Came highly recommended by hotel staff. Very nice ambience, nice view, played lounge music. Definitely get the Cuba Libre (spelling) their speciality mojito! Food was good as was the staff. Excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but overpricedJacquelineSDined on 9/12/2014Good Asian-fusion food and drinks. I felt the menu was slightly limited and a bit overpriced when compared to other restaurants in San Juan with much better food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Highly recommended!geminiDined on 9/5/2014Outstanding as always! We like to sit and eat a the bar. last night the bar wasn't crowded so we spent a nice and relaxed time at the bar while drinking several creative and delicious cocktails. we ordered several appetizers, including the Dumplings and the Calamari and everithing was amazing! Service was superb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Who knew?LuisVIPDined on 8/30/2014Live in NYC, but originally from Puerto Rico. Thanks to a good friend, decided to join them at Budatai. Wow! Loved the creative Asian-latin cuisine, the service and the ambiance. Greeted with a smile. Great drinks. Server made some great suggestions. The whole evening was a great experience! Will definitely be back...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great food great flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/26/2014The building entry is a bit sketchy but once you take the lift to the second floor you find great setting/ambiance. Awesome dumplings and tuna . Scallops prepared perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/22/2014Very poor ambience , noisy. Service was excellent and food was incredibly outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it herewinefoodie1Dined on 8/17/2014Great food! Felt rushed towards the end and sever did not mention that she was out of the dessert we ordered. Overall always a solid and consistent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely awesome!AllyDined on 8/15/2014First time here but can't wait to go back next time in Puerto Rico. I loved everything about this place. Food was delicious. Restaurant was clean. Friendly staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Puerto RicoTexasGleekDined on 8/9/2014This restaurant was by far, the best I ate at in Puerto Rico. I ordered a ribeye and it melted in my mouth. Best steak ever. The appetizers and drinks were out of this world. Wish I had eaten there early during my trip instead of the last night because I would have gone back several times. Service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome fusion food restaurantRickZamoraDined on 8/1/2014Second timehere, a must in Puerto Rico. Be sure to try the Roca sushi and the pulled pork.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 147 reviews are from the Budatai reviews archive.
- It wasn't memorableLesliedcVIPDined on 7/27/2014The sushi wasn't bad, the selection was poor. This restaurant always comes up as a sushi restaurant online but they only have a few rolls. Take the longer cab ride to old San Juan and go to dragonfly. The atmosphere is better and the sushi selection is much better.Special Features:
- My fav Latin-Asian restaurantRickysunbeachDined on 7/15/2014Budatai is just exceptional! The food is great; the service is awesome. Food has a unique mix of flavors. Have to try the Cubano Viejo, a mojito like drink but with champagne!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good, But . . .visitors2013VIPDined on 7/14/2014The food is very good, and it feels like you are going to a secret club when you enter. Appetizers were all interesting, and everyone's entrees were tasty. The only hitch is that two of the chicken dishes (both appetizers -- the one with the endive cups, and the dumplings) contained bones. Not sure if this was due to negligence on the part of the kitchen, or if it's a Puerto Rico thing. Other than that, a lovely meal and a recommend.Special Features:
- Puerto Rico gemLuv2BrunchDined on 7/6/2014My experience at Budatai was amazing. The food was fantastic, the service was impeccable and the ambience was amazing. My only suggestion would be to open later and to clean up that dingy staircase leading to the restaurant upstairs. Everything else was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always DelightfuleirprDined on 6/14/2014Just excellent... from start to finish ! Always a delightful experience that will be remembered for a long time... until next time !!Special Features:
- Great Fusion Great FoodLittyDined on 6/4/2014Definite winner if you are looking for unique menu with local flare. Staff was excellent an good was really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Impressednycfoodie321VIPDined on 5/17/2014Our server brought us the wrong drinks and insisted that they were what was ordered. Was argumentative and blatantly wrong. The brisket in the noodle dish was incredibly unappetizing. I couldn't cut through it, it was so tough and fatty. Drinks were okay. Ambiance was dark, and mellow but nice. Wouldn't recommend it.Special Features:
- Could have been perfect...AngieMGDined on 5/17/2014My husbands noodles tasted as if they'd been lying around for hours, my foi gras was over-cooked and my stake was really REALLY cold. Other than that, the food did taste great, drinks were awesome & the dessert was incredible!! Hopefully, next time (if my husband decides to go back) they'll get the cooking part right.Special Features:
- excellentromanDined on 5/15/2014outstanding is the only way to talk about budatai's! excellent service and food and not overwhelming. this is a gem in conadado and a must place to visit you will not be dissappointed at all. will be going back again, and againSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent and OriginalHameDined on 5/11/2014My second time at the restaurant and I was not disappointed. We split delicious duck croquettes to start. My dinner companion found the duck confit excellent. I had a lamb loin special - beautifully cooked to medium rare were three generous thick slices. Accompanying was a surprising and scrumptious sweet potato ravioli with an intriguing grilled flavor, smothered in a delicious dark sauce with crumbled peanuts. Neither of us had room for dessert, regretfully. Buddatai is a little jewel in San Juan worth a pilgrimage each time I visit the city. I'll go again before I leave for home.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A gem of fusion cuisine in San Juangenemd48VIPDined on 5/5/2014I have been at Budatai many times and always have been surprised with the great and diverse menu. This is the place to go for great fusion of Asian and Caribbean cuisine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014Excellent atmosphere, Excellent food, Excellent ServiceSpecial Features:
- Don't waste your timeAFoodEDined on 5/2/2014Our waitress came over and greeted us and brought our drinks. My husband ordered a rum and coke, very watery and I ordered some speciality drink that was not good. We ordered edamame and calamari for an appetizer.For dinner I ordered a Geisha roll which was mediocre. I could get the same thing at the grocery store stand. My husband ordered the tuna steak which was cut up and was obviously previously frozen and was cooked too much. We never saw our waitress after she took our order. When we left I stopped and told the hostess about our experience and asked her to let the manager know since we never saw one, and she stared at me like I just cussed her out and was the rudest person ever. Horrible experience with bad food, very disappointed!
- Excellent food and serviceFriendfromAtlantaDined on 5/2/2014I eat every visit to PR. Amazing!!! My favorite restaurant for sushi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Asian and Caribbean paradiseThephbDined on 5/1/2014Right when you walk in, the restaurant feels intimate and special. The menu is also comprehensive, and everything you order blows you away! The service is also friendly and not intimidating. I could seriously eat the pork dumplings and duck fried rice every day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip it.Honest2ruthVIPDined on 5/1/2014The meet was fatty and everything tasted greasy.Special Features:
- Thai done rightWbernzVIPDined on 4/18/2014This place was good. The decor was sexy. The service was prompt and focused. Food presentation was awesome. Definitely a nice place for a posh dinner while vacationing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service & FoodJimTozDined on 4/13/2014Visited Budatai with some friends after finishing the San Juan Puerto Rico half Ironman. The food was delicious and the service was very good. The Herame and Geisha were excellent appetizers. Our main dishes were equally well prepared and delicious. We had a great time and would recommend this restaurant if visiting San Juan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spicy with a twistMikeVIPDined on 4/4/2014You know you're in for a treat from the ambiance, the menu and the attentiveness of the staff. Innovative food, exotic ingredients and unexpected luxury, that's what our fifth evening at Budatai felt like.,Special Features:
- Great use of many exciting flavorsbnmystrDined on 3/24/2014Wonderful use of Asian spices infused into tropical island dishes. The ambiance is nice but is also place you can laugh and enjoy friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ok but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/21/2014The restaurant was very nice but I admit I am a bit of a foodie but other than the filet mignon I was a little disappointed.Special Features:
- Long walk up the stairs, butThomasDined on 3/20/2014Long walk up the stairs, but worth it. Dumplings to due for.Special Features:
- FantasticHeatherVIPDined on 3/18/2014Very creative with outstanding presentation and quality.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solidsmky81387Dined on 3/18/2014Everything was solid or better. Worth checking out while in San Juan.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Service and FoodTnRvrKingDined on 3/11/2014If you enjoy a blend of Puerto Rican and Asian food, this is the restaurant for you. A nice change from traditional preparation techniques. Flavors abound in the dishes. Excellent wine! Customer Service was outstanding!! Will definitely eat here again on our next trip to San Juan!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous top to bottomBravoDined on 3/10/2014My husband & I made a reservation based on reviews I read here on Open Table. The restaurant has warm tones but still feels upscale. The food was dynamite, not to mention the specialty cocktails! I wish we had one at home! Highly recommend egg rolls w/sausage & cheese filling, duck fried rice and geisha roll. Our server Gloria was superb. Just really loved the unique fusion of flavors.Special Features:
- Big girls do cryWafflerDined on 3/10/2014This kind of dining experience is out of the norm for both my daughter and I, although I would like to dine like this always. We were very comfortable here and the menu was exciting yet not frightening. We ordered a few appetizers, dim sum, but our favorite was definitely the pork profiteroles(pork belly with caramel sauce-yummy). My daughter had a geisha roll as an entree and she remarked" this is the best sushi roll I've ever had. It's so good I want to cry". Enough saidSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Major DisappointmentnsciacVIPDined on 3/9/2014What a disappointment! For starters, their "signature cocktail" (can't recall name) tasted like a lemon soda. I was expecting an Asian inspired mojito but the tiniest specks of mint that added no flavor. My wife and I each ordered an appetizer, salad and entree. We were so surprised when three of the above arrived very quickly (did we need to ask that the courses be separated?), however my wife's sushi order arrived much later. Compounding matters were the pork dumplings that were absolutely dreadful, so heavy and saucy I was barely able to finish. Both entrees were also very disappointing, and in a rare event left unfinished. The scallops on my Budatai noodles tasted like they had been overheated in a microwave. I won't be back