Buck's Fishing & Camping
5031 Connecticut Ave NW
Washington, DC 20008-2024Neighborhood:
Chevy Chase, DC
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Buck's Fishing & Camping
- Dining Style: Home Style
- Website: http://www.bucksfishingandcamping.com/
- Phone: (202) 364-0777
- Hours of Operation:
Kitchen hours, currently dinner only. Monday - Thursday: 5:00 pm - 9:30 pm
Friday & Saturday: 5:00 pm - 10:00 pm
Sunday: 5:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Cross Street: Conn. Ave and Nebraska Ave - next to Comet Ping Pong
- Public Transit: Walking distance but not very close to both Van Ness UDC and Tenleytown Metros.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is a free lot located directly behind the buildings. Please feel free to come through our other restaurant Comet Ping Pong to enter through our front door.
A word from Buck's Fishing & Camping
Join us at our small, neighborhood independently owned Fish Camp of a restaurant, where a woody, fire lit atmosphere is a great place to enjoy the best local produce, meats and fish.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Buck's Fishing & Camping - Best Restaurants in Chevy Chase, DC ›
Buck's Fishing & Camping reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (70)fit for foodies (46)great for outdoor dining (23)special occasion (19)romantic (19)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (9)hot spot (7)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (1)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Surprised and pleasedTenrecDined on 11/18/2014Haven't been here for many years as the previous menu had so few choices that appealed and then just hadn't bothered to come back. Pleased to return, plenty of choices that appealed to me. Nice special cocktails ...at typical big DC prices. Enjoyed the scallops quite a bit, the portion size wasn't huge which I like as I was able to eat it all, I especially enjoyed the accompaniments to the dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as Great as I would have thought.TryinitallDined on 11/18/2014Have always wanted to go to Bucks. It has a great reputation and friends recommended it. We went for a birthday and felt rushed to order and treated like we were out-of-towners. Our steaks arrived lukewarm and weren't even our first choice on the menu. That was sold out, at 7 pm? All in all a mediocre experience.
- Very enjoyable!SohoGirl67Dined on 11/9/2014Charming, warm, decor, friendly, attentive service, very good food. Had a vegetarian entree that was great. Totally enjoyable. Sorry I waited so long to try it. will be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Uneven ServiceDCVisitorDined on 11/7/2014We go here occasionally and the good is good, well prepared and as good as most of the restaurants on 14th Street (which are generally overrated0, but this was not an exciting meal. I had a caesar salad which was excellent and the scallops with cauliflower puree. The scallops were tasty (just three big ones) but not as browned as I hope hoped. The cauliflower puree with other root vegetables was excellent--better than the typical roasted cauliflower you often get. My husband had the green salad--he said fine but not as good as the greens we grow ourselves. Oysters were good. Good waitress but we were not greeted warmly. I would appreciate a little more experimentation and a friendlier greeter.Special Features:
- Enjoyable and funkyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/6/2014We had a really good evening with good food, attentive service, an individualistic environment, and we could hear ourselves talk. Warm, friendly, good food, comfortable but edgy ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Warm interior, poor service &flavorFullflavorDined on 11/6/2014Go here for the inviting interior, but skip the food and ignore the frown on the hostess's face. The server knew nothing about the food (couldn't describe the rockfish) and the busboy would splash water outside of our glasses and bump us as we say in our chairs. We had the butternut squash/quinoa/swiss chard. It was greasy and tasteless. We had to add cracked pepper and salt to make up for the chef. The scallops were forgettable. The wedge salad was drowned in heavy dressing. I guess that is why people like it.
- Delicious food comfortable ambianceVah9001Dined on 11/1/2014I wanted to go someplace where I could eat well, but also carry on a conversation. Someplace with good food with inventive touches, but nothing too precious. Buck's really fit the bill. My friend had delicious pork chops, and I had scallops. Both of us were also looking forward to the sides that came with the entree. For me, the scallops were lovely but did not get served with enough of the vegetable accompaniments. Both of us had desserts-- the bread pudding was delicious but I would have preferred no caramel sauce and half as much whipped cream. I liked the way the dining area looked and felt. The service was friendly and solicitous though a bit scattered. Overall, I enjoyed myself and plan to return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightful:Now Taking Reservations!toodogsusDined on 10/19/2014We've always enjoyed Buck's in the past, but avoided going there because they didn't take reservations. Now that they are on OpenTable, we decided to try them again and are delighted to find they are better than ever. We started with the wonderful duck biscuits and the crispy fried oysters--which was very generous serving, by the way! At our server's recommendation, I had the pork chop, which was succulent; husband had the fish and chips and loved them; our guest had the shrimp and grits, delicious. Service was excellent. We'll be back soon!Special Features:
- Salt!salt!salt!SnowbirdDined on 10/18/2014Way, way, way, too much salt. Had shrimp and grits entree, and had to send it back for steak order. It wS like the salt box was dumped onto my dish. French fries were the same.
- everything was too salty!nola2vaDined on 10/18/2014Only good thing about the meal was the roasted almonds, they were delicious. Ate there a year or so ago and loved the place, this was so disappointing.
- Go-To-PlacetdubbsDined on 10/17/2014Dining at Buck's feels like putting on my most comfortable slippers. The food is sophisticated in a simple way, well thought out, but not heavy handed. Great for meat eaters (I prefer the wood grilled NY strip to most of the big name steak houses) dining with vegetarians (the roasted butternut squash, wood fired chard, and quinoa with a poached egg is a favorite.) The atmosphere is warm, fun, relaxed, and professional. The staff are knowledgeable, efficient, and casual but not intrusive. Buck's is not pretentious. People come to eat and socialize, not to be seen and impress. After dinner at Buck's, you will feel well fed, well taken care of, and that you actually were able to focus on the people at your table!!Special Features:
- great food and excellent serviceFrankieDCDined on 10/15/2014my second time visiting Bucks and I loved it. The snacks and starters were delicious and the entree ( fish and chips ) was fantastic. I appreciate the friendly service and the welcoming atmosphere. The best part is that the food arrives at the table HOT from the kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great bday partySlvasfDined on 10/14/2014I reserved for a small birthday party for my husband. They put us in a semi-private area that was very nice. The service was impeccable and we got great attention from all the staff. The food, especially my husband's steak, was really good. I brought a birthday cake and they supplied candles without my asking and presnented and cut it for us. All in all a great experience and all the guests enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Bucks.Bette55Dined on 10/10/2014Bucks is fun, easy and the food is good. The service is always excellent and for a neighborhood restaurant, the food is delicious. The issue I had -- and it happened only once, was that in the main dining area, it was way to loud.Special Features:
- Hit or MissOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/6/2014This was the third time that I have eaten at Buck's Fishing & Camping. Each of the first two times (albeit, several years ago), I experienced very good food as well as service. This time, the food was hit or miss. I ordered the fried oyster appetizer and the beef burger with grilled broccoli. The oysters were perfectly battered with a cornmeal crust and perfectly fried; however, the oysters were laid directly on the appetizer plate and immediately became soggy, not crisp. The beef burger was perfectly cooked but the sesame bun was cold and hard; should have been toasted in a skillet to warm it up. On the positive side. the grilled broccoli was delicious and the ambiance is always perfect. The server was not great, but efficient.Special Features:
- SwitzerlandDined on 10/4/2014Our server Gen was outstanding, and very patient as some in our party took time to make their selections. The onion rings and duck biscuits got the meal off to a fabulous start. The steak and the pork chop were particularly fabulous entrees, and i would go back for the apple bread pudding desert all on its own!Special Features:
- Very OrdinaryYUMMYTUMMYDined on 9/27/2014I had not been to Buck's in quite a while and was looking forward to my visit in light of many positive reviews. Unfortunately there was much to be disappointed about. Hostess greeting was less than warm but service overall was OK. Starter salads had practically no dressing and were at best ordinary. My first two bites of the shrimp and grits were intensely salty, but the third bite was fine. Problem was that the capers had not been rinsed so after moving them to the side the dish was good although quite small. Steak frites was OK but nothing to get excited about. For dessert, the chocolate cake was very good but the gelato from Dolcezza was wan and rather tasteless. I wouldn't be in a hurry to return.Special Features:
- Loved Buck's Fishing and CampingAllinDined on 9/24/2014It has always been in the back of my mind to go here, but we just never made it. So glad we finally did. The ambiance was so warm and welcoming, I loved everything, from the farm tables, to the potted rosemary on the tables and the Fresh potted mums. My cocktail was excellent, and all 4 of us loved our food. The service was excellent and the free parking was a bonus too! We will be back soon!Special Features:
- Great date spotPariaDined on 9/20/2014The ambience here is so adorable and it has perfect dim lighting, but it's also lively and fun. The food is delicious too!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buck's Is the BestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Servers are so considerate and friendly. Food is beyond awesome. Fun, tasteful decor in a great neighborhood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Saturday Night BummernancyDined on 9/13/2014After many great recommendations, hopes were high. Burgers ordered medium rare - served well done - were like hockey pucks. Fried soft shells were mushy. Lima beans in corn succotash were hard as rocks - dish was inedible. I hope they get it together!!
- PBSlikesPBSlikesDined on 8/30/2014Have been a patron only about four or five times and enjoyed each visit. As a fish eater I would very much like to see fish dishes other than salmon or shrimp on the menu. I do enjoy the ambiance, but must say the noise level does become too loud at times. Last visit an Italian Barbara wine was chosen and it was found to be excellent. Not a usual wine to be found on must lists, so this is much appreciated. a return visit is sure, thank you so much.Special Features:
- what was all the hype?hatetocookDined on 8/23/2014We have been wanting to try Buck's for several years since it usually gets really good reviews. We were there on a Saturday night with another couple.The restaurant was very crowded and we were seated at a table which literally backed into another table. this was the only table available. The noise level was very loud and especially bad given how close we were to the other table. The food was nothing special -it was good, but certainly not great. I had the vegetarian dish which consisted mostly of greens. I shared a salad with my friend - it was not at all memorable. WE ordered a bottle of wine and asked for a chiller which was put directly on our small table leaving little room for our food. All in all, a big disappointment!
- Don't Let the Name Fool YoudcdineDined on 8/22/2014Buck's Fishing & Camping is a great neighborhood or destination place. We always find something to celebrate just so we have a reason to go! You can sit at the family table, ask for a more private table or dine outside. Either way you can't lose at Buck's Fishing & Camping!Special Features:
- Great neighborhood bar!ChefAlDined on 8/8/2014The food and service are great. But the friendly and lively bar scene is a real find.Special Features:
- mjp3Dined on 8/5/2014Lovely outdoor seating. Very good food. Nice choice of wines by the glass.Special Features:
- Poor ServiceowensemDined on 8/1/2014We made reservations for 9pm and had the pleasure of sitting outside on a perfect night, under the cute colored lights and romantic candlelight. They were "understaffed" and our waitress had the entire outside section with some very needy patrons. My bf and I are not drinking and there were no non-alc bevs listed- a little strange. There was an issue with their soda machine and my bf didn't have his drink for 45 minutes! Service was poor at best- our waitress was overwhelmed and forgetful. The runner failed to bring us ketchup and S&P. Food was good- but totally overpriced. Manager gave us free dessert- although they attempted to charge for the sodas we barely received! Wouldn't go back… which is a bummer because we were rooting for you!Special Features:
- Get the steakAEC71Dined on 8/1/2014I rarely gush, but I am on the fence with some of these 4-star categories. I could have given 5. I ordered the shrimp and grits and it was very good, but everything paled next to the bite I had of the signature steak at the restaurant. It was wonderful. Brother in Law reports his pork chop was also excellent. The star was the server, who helped us navigate the drink and desert menu as well as appetizers that were stand outs. There are limited tables outside, but facing a main street so we sat at a cozy table surrounded by red walls and eye-popping art. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- The following 82 reviews are from the Buck's Fishing & Camping reviews archive.
- Texan44Dined on 7/24/2014This is a relaxed and friendly restaurant with excellent food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing GreatDaniDinesDined on 7/24/2014I have heard so many great things about this place, and maybe that is why I was disappointed. There was much lacking in the meal. The Fish Tacos were a little too basic for the price tag. The bread was nice, and the side dish of squash was also good....but nothing was fantastic or left me wanting more. I was a little upset to see the bill and think of the dinner that we had....which could have easily been made at home. If you are fine with paying high prices for only slightly above average food, then this is the place for you.
- Outside dining in DC -- in July!beekDined on 7/17/2014Our group of four was lucky enough to dine at Buck's on a beautiful July night with no humidity -- a rarity in DC. We had a nice corner space and didn't notice at all the busy Connecticut Avenue traffic. Food was great, from the wedge and tomato and mozzarella salads to the steak frites, tuna tacos and salmon. The biggest hit was the corn dog appetizer! Only complaint is that the food came too quickly -- we hadn't finished our salads when our entrees arrived, and aside from feeling rushed there was no space for all of the plates (and the entrees were hot). Good service should ensure that doesn't happen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You're in luck with BuckLinndaDined on 7/12/2014If you are looking for a delicious, foodie meal with tasty beer or wine in a welcoming setting, Buck's Fishing and Camping is for you. Located in between Van Ness and Chevy Chase Circle, Buck's offers no-fuss fine dining.Special Features:
- Good neighborhood restaurantMorrDined on 7/11/2014Iceberg lettuce wedge was fine, not quite as crunchy as I like, however. Steak-Frites ws good.Carrot cake was fine; not too heavy. Serivce was satisfactory, but friendly. We had to ask for several items that should have been brought to the table.Special Features:
- excellentfromwiscons1nDined on 7/8/2014The food here was outstanding! The service was excellent and I would love to go back in a heart beat. I tried the draft beer called two hearted ale... excellent. I tried their bone in pork chop and ity was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be coming back soon!minnowDined on 7/5/2014All in my group were extremely pleased with their meal. The whole experience from start to finish was wonderful. Great food, great wine, great service.Special Features:
- Relaxing & DeliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/29/2014This was my second time dining at Buck's. Both times the food was delicious. I also really enjoy the ambiance...very creative...for some reason reminds me of a Wes Anderson set...also relaxing...nice use of colors and lighting. The pork chop is probably one of the best I have ever had. The fried oysters are also very tasty. I highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not worth the effortDjangoDined on 6/25/2014We found Buck's disappointing having read positive reviews. The two seat table is too small to accomdate the plates; the server brought the entre and tried to place it on the table while we only half finished with the appetizers; the salad wedge dressing was waterey; the steak frites had mediocre fries (left uneaten) and sparse unappetizing greens. The wait staff was indifferent. This might be a convenient neighborhood diner,but it is not worth a 10 minute drive.
- Buck's disappointsVU4UDined on 6/25/2014The good thing about Buck's is that it is very close to Politics and Prose. Other than that, I would skip this place. Overly priced, and not worth the visit.
- Food was down a notchLuluDined on 6/24/2014Buck's was not up to its usual standard at our last visit. One of us had soft shells that, while large, were not cooked the way they should have been. They were lukewarm on arrival and neither crisp nor juicy. The rest was fine though not particularly notable. The server did take that item off the bill when we mentioned it, which was appreciated.Special Features:
- ajh425Dined on 6/21/2014Food was delicious - we ordered the scallops for an appetizer and the prime beef burger and fish tacos for our meals. The cocktails were a little overpriced, but the food was worth every penny.Special Features: