2 Main St.
Winters, CA 95694Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buckhornsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 5307954503
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 9:30 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Sunday: 2:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Fred Reyes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Buckhorn Steakhouse
Famous for its 42 day aged, hand cut on premise, Certified Angus Beef steaks. Signature steaks include the Taylor-cut Sirloin wrapped in Wisconsin apple wood-smoked bacon, 24oz bone in Rib Eye, Char Roasted Sirloin and Prime Rib. Other specialties include succulent local Rack of Lamb & Hearty Soups. Inclusive side dishes include salads, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Roadhouse Onions, and warm sourdough bread with mounds of real whipped butter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
Buckhorn Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Winters ›
Buckhorn Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since May 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (137)neighborhood gem (102)good for groups (76)fit for foodies (63)great for outdoor dining (32)romantic (31)kid-friendly (29)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (24)hot spot (20)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)scenic view (2)Show More
- Our favorite anniversary spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We travel from Placerville every September 20 for our anniversary dinner. The Buckhorn never disappoints us. The steaks are outstanding. Jim's favorite is the ribeye, while Elsie favors the filet mignon.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Great tasting food with everything we ordered. Portions were generous. My daughter was impressed with the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meat! But...OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Excellent cuts of meat cooked wonderfully, but the rest of the meal consists of pretty standard side dishes you can find at any typical chain steakhouse, and were on the disappointing side. Rice, mashed potatoes, fries, etc. Veggies - check. All of these were just okay, in my opinion. They did have a few intriguing choices on the appetizer menu, but because the meal portions are so big we did not order any apps. I guess I felt it was lacking some sort of "wow" factor for the price. Excellent selection of wine and drinks. Fantastic staff. Like I said, great meat, but…Special Features:
- Salads no longer a problem.bearrasDined on 9/16/2014We have driven from the Bay Area many times and a I have always been disappointed by the salads. They seemed to be made up of greens from Coscto and dressed with bottled dressing. This time I asked for an old-fashion wedge of iceberg lettuce with a dressing of mayo, ketchup and relish. The waiter wrote it all down and a few minutes later served me exactly what I wanted. Cold and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeHappydinerDined on 9/14/2014We go to The Buckhorn for birthdays, and they have never disappointed us. The beef is outstanding and the servers are top-notch. Always a wonderful experience. We always try to bring in new friends.Special Features:
- Perfect eveningDragondiner1Dined on 9/13/2014I love The Buckhorn! It is my go-to restaurant anytime I am headed to The Palms for an evening of music. The food is great and the wait staff is superior!!Special Features:
- Best Steak in the RegionMooMooDined on 9/13/2014If you are looking for steak, the Buckhorn is the best place in the region. Don't miss the Tomahawk. They advertise for "2" but for modest eaters there is enough for 4+. The"+" being the most awesome looking rib for the dog. You may order a complete set of extra sides for your additional guests. Service is sharp and not necessarily conducive to a leisurely meal. We are happy that they revamped their menu. Calamari that doesn't need "mayo" was a hit and we were pleasantly surprised to see chicken and pasta on the menu. What needs to be improved? With a great farm-to-fork culture in the region, the selection of veggies could be updated; the salad was drowned; and the wine list could use some shoring up. BUT we love the steak.Special Features:
- No loud children, please.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014As usual the food and service were excellent. Although, the patrons behind us had two small children, each who screamed in alternated or in synchronized screams and yells. The reason we went to the Buckhorn Steakhouse on 9/11/2014 was in celebration of my mother's birthday and were expecting a mature dining experience with a calm atmosphere . We didn't really engage much in conversation for the intermittent yet almost constant screaming by at least one of the two children. The parents responsible for this behavior did not seem to care that other patrons did not pay to hear how how their household runs at home. I did not bring this up to management at the time, but I'd appreciate it if this message were forwarded to the intended party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steakhouse within 100 milesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My wife and I visit here once every 2-3 months and are never disappointed. The wait staff always know every detail about the meal you are ordering, and are extremely attentive and helpful. The sourdough bread is top notch. The filet is cooked to perfection, just the way my wife ordered it. The elk was lean and tender (a very difficult meat to cook properly). The desserts were very rick, we should've shared one, but couldn't resist getting our own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnivores rejoice!SelectiveDinerDined on 9/7/2014The steaks are always tasty and perfectly done. Even the Roadhouse salad (my favorite) is tasty and huge. Portobello shrooms is a meal in itself and do not disappoint. Yumm! Flexible when we had to move the reservation.Special Features:
- 50th Birthday DinnerTeriZDined on 9/6/2014The Buckhorn is always great! This was my husband's choice for his (private) 50th birthday dinner with just he, our daughter and myself. The food was great (grilled artichoke was amazing and prime ribs and filet were great!!) and the complimentary birthday chocolate dessert was to die for. Also, they have a nice wine list, but the corkage fee is very reasonable. I think this will be our destination for our daughter's 21st birthday dinner too!Special Features:
- Great Service Great FoodPreggoFoodieDined on 9/6/2014This was our first time at the Buckhorn Grill. The area the restaurant is located is very beautiful at night. We made a reservation online and had been seated within 10 min of our reservation time even though it was packed. The waitress was great. I never had to ask for anything she had it ready or brought to me. Service was great, and food was great as well!Special Features:
- Best dinnerJulieAnnDined on 9/6/2014The food was awesome!! The staff friendly and fast. Haven't enjoyed a meal like that in years. Planning to take my brother for his upcoming birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corner Gem!soccermomDined on 9/3/2014We've always had great food and service...would recommend it to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!FrankDined on 9/3/2014Service was Excellent (Angie T.) was our server. Food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014The food and service were great as always. The ambiance on this visit was destroyed by a 6-7 year old child at another table jumping around or lying in the aisle. I would expect this type of behavior at a fast food restaurant, not the Buckhorn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a family birthday celebrationspamilDined on 8/31/2014We went to our favorite place in Northern California and it was everything that we remembered and then some. Great Food Wonderful Service. A good time was had by all.Special Features:
- DisappointingenjoyfinediningDined on 8/30/2014We went to celebrate a special occasion. Appetizers were nothing special. calamari were tiny and tasted mostly like batter. We all ordered the baseball sirloin cut medium rare. 3 of the steaks were overdone and we sent 2 out of 4 back. The 2 steaks came back raw. 3rd time round the steaks were finally right but it took over an hour later. Steaks were good but not delicious, tasted a bit charcoally as if they were not cleaning the grill enough.. For the price at $32 per steak, this was a disappointing restaurant. Waiter was good. The outdoor area does not take reservations.. for an upscale place, a free for all , no matter who arrives first does not seem appropriate. In general the buckhorn is not as good as I remembered. Will not be back.Special Features:
- why reserve?tinkleberryDined on 8/30/2014Was extremely disappointed for the 2nd time with your reservation system and customer service. Why reserve if we still have to wait for 20-30 minutes? Also, not the best attitude from the front staff, very unfriendly. The steaks are great, but with the disappointing service I will think twice before coming here again.
- Very GoodbleemaDined on 8/30/2014Dined with my friend for her 65th birthday. Ordered the salmon and vegetables which was excellent. My friend ordered the peppered steak which I tasted and thought that was very good as well. I would describe the ambience as fun and happy and a place where the food is good and you feel comfortable while you are having a great conversation with friends and family. The vodka martini with two stuffed blue cheese olives wasn't bad either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You never leave hungry!Variant003Dined on 8/29/2014The steak is still best around. The setting in a 150 year old building is beautiful. And I like the added outdoor seating when the city redesigned the street. Definitely worth renting a car and driving from San Francisco for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return guestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014The prime rib is what I always order when we eat at the Buck Horn. It is the place we go to celebrate a special occasionSpecial Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/24/2014We celebrated my husband's birthday. There were 14 in our party. They family feast was great. There was something for everyone.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodBuffalo48Dined on 8/23/2014Great menu along with great service for a fine evening of diningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- absolutely deliciousdnr42Dined on 8/23/2014our dinner was exactly what we wanted. Delicious food with great service. my steak was cooked to perfection and my wife's lamb was "the best I've ever had...tender, juicy and flavorful". a note to Open Table...when making online reservations I had this feeling that I needed to double check with the restaurant. It's a good thing I did as they did not have the date I chose - it was a week later... i had printed the reservation receipt for my records just in case. So perhaps there's a glitch in the program... Aside from that our dinner was spectacular.Special Features:
- billyi3Dined on 8/22/2014Been there before - always good food and service. But, this time, didn't realize there was a street festival going on, and was hard to find parking, let alone getting to the restaurant, where was standing room only waiting for reservation.Special Features:
- The food is delicious.LeanneDined on 8/22/2014They have a couple interesting items on the menu like elk and bone in New York steak meant to feed two people. My husband, son and I couldn't finish it. The bone was about 15 inches long.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The ribs were good...poordougDined on 8/22/2014...but not great. The sauce was too sweet for my tastes. The sides were great!Special Features:
- good food with reasonable priceyummyDined on 8/22/2014Buckhorn steakhouse was more than accommodating. We started with a party of 5 that quickly grew to 9. Our server did whatever he could to accommodate our group as well meet our needs. We drove an hour to meet at Buckhorns, we will be making this drive a couple times a year.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Absolutely fantasticVacavilledatenightersDined on 8/22/2014While we have lived in the area greater than 20 years, this was our first time and it was great. The server was knowledgeable, presented well and the food was just as good as we had heard. We will be back on another married date night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steak eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We are on an audit and at the end of the audit we usually go out for a steak dinner. Buckhorn was recommended to us and we thoroughly enjoyed the evening. The steaks were exactly the way we ordered them. This is definitely someplace we would visit again when we are in the area.Special Features:
- Buckhorn SteakhouseGliathDined on 8/20/2014We drove for over an hour to arrive on time, (5.30pm reservation) and were seated promptly. Service was first class, food was first class, ambiance and decor excellent. Excellent pricing. Definitely recommended for a second visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buckhorn in Winters, CACOGmaDined on 8/18/2014Always good food and service! The tri tip is great as are all the meat cuts. I love seafood and have never been disappointed. The sourdough is hot and crunchy! Best.salad.ever! You can never go wrong dining at the Buckhorn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Party for my wifeXWintersresidentDined on 8/16/2014Pleasure receiving outstanding service from Kathy and her assistant.All our needs were met above expectations making our occasion enjoyable. sincerely Robert BeckerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Winters tripBillDined on 8/16/2014The food was good, with several options for side dishes, but considered the menu pricey. One of the specials was a $35 halibut dish, way overpriced. The menu is pretty much beef driven. The place is popular, as the people were constantly coming in during our dinner. It is in a good location, and across the street from The Palms, if you are attending a show. Ample parking nearby.
- TravfamDined on 8/15/2014Server was fantastic! Food was ok-vegetables lacked flavor and potato was small.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it for Special OccasionsFinkFlogDined on 8/15/2014They catered our wedding and we go back for our anniversary, birthdays, and Valentine's Day.Special Features:
- 1fatboyDined on 8/15/2014My wife and I have been going to the Buckhorn for over 30 years I have in joyed it each and every time We will be back for all our anniversary'sSpecial Features:
- al78Dined on 8/15/2014We love this restaurant. The food is fantastic and the waiters are very friendly and helpful. The prime rib is out of this world -tender and prepared the way you like it. The clam chowder was excellent - the best I've ever tasted. All in all there is nothing else to say - this restaurant is the best!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Food was great, service was very good. WE like the decore, and the home town feelSpecial Features: