2 Main St.
Winters, CA 95694Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buckhornsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: (530) 795-4503
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 9:30 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Sunday: 2:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Fred Reyes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Buckhorn Steakhouse
Famous for its 42 day aged, hand cut on premise, Certified Angus Beef steaks. Signature steaks include the Taylor-cut Sirloin wrapped in Wisconsin apple wood-smoked bacon, 24oz bone in Rib Eye, Char Roasted Sirloin and Prime Rib. Other specialties include succulent local Rack of Lamb & Hearty Soups. Inclusive side dishes include salads, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Roadhouse Onions, and warm sourdough bread with mounds of real whipped butter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Buckhorn Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Winters ›
Buckhorn Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
204 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (149)neighborhood gem (109)good for groups (98)fit for foodies (77)kid-friendly (43)romantic (40)great for outdoor dining (39)vibrant bar scene (28)notable wine list (28)hot spot (20)great for lunch (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- Not my first time here!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Great food as always; we had the Yolo Sunday Feast. We brought friends for their first time. They loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Putting it on the Return Visit ListOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Only complaint was that the baked potato was undercooked. Everything else was outstanding. Our server was friendly and attentive. Steak was perfectly prepared and delicious. If you're looking for a white table cloth and candle light dinner this is not the place. But if you want a great steak, relaxed busy atmosphere and good service then take the drive to Winters (good idea to make a reservation) and enjoy this dining experience. Keep in mind that it takes time to prepare a steak to order; this is not a fast food restaurant. Enjoy a glass of wine with the wonderful sourdough french bread while your're waiting for your steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BelindaM69Dined on 11/22/2014have been dining at the Buckhorn in Winters since I was a little kid, best prime rib in townSpecial Features:
- Delicious, but a little rowdyVacavilleResidentDined on 11/21/2014We have been wanting to try Buckhorn Steakhouse for years and finally decided to go. The servings were large, prices were reasonable, and service was friendly, but the ambience was a little rowdy. There was an inebriated and disruptive birthday party adjacent to us and we probably should have asked to be moved. The servers were not well versed on the wine list so thankfully there was an option to sample the wines we were considering prior to choosing. The military discount was very much appreciated. Buckhorn is great for groups and a slightly more than casual meal. There are also enjoyable options for wine tasting at the downtown Winters tasting rooms before or after the meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Good ExperienceSd007Dined on 11/19/2014Have been a fan of the Buckhorn for over 20 years. Took Mother there; also a fan, for her 84th Birthday. Had left some requests about our arrival on the online reservation form; such as having a cocktail ready when we were seated... All requests went smoothly and without reminder... Was a great evening. I am contacting the Buckhorn directly to compliment....Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steak House in my Immediate AreaJoey1068Dined on 11/17/2014The Buckhorn is one of the greatest steakhouses I've ever dined at. The pace of meal, service, and staff are second to none in my immediate area. They have their own dry house for steaks and bakery and the quality of food directly reflects it. My wife and I had the bone in Rib-eye which was cooked to perfection. I ordered Rare, my wife Mid-Rare, and the temps and texture were right on point. We also had the Spinach Artichoke dip as an appetizer which set a new standard for us, it was rich and full of flavor. If you have the pleasure of Cathy serving you, your in for a great dining experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 29th Wedding AniversaryRondbender58Dined on 11/16/2014I was a little disapointed to be honest. I had been 10 years since my wife and I had dined there. We had decided to go there for our 29th Wedding Aniverwary, we typically go to a steakhouse in Dixon on I-80. The service was a little slow for me. I had the Rib Eye and wife had the Filet Mion. To be honest, I can grill a better Rib Eye at home on my BBQ, and my wifes FM was under cooked. The yams and soup were good. We did take some desert home and it was good. I won't be back, I would rather go to my other favorite Steak House.Special Features:
- Outstanding!!OutstandingDined on 11/15/2014i have eaten here before and my husband and i love their food so I planed a big birthday dinner for my husband( we had a total of about 19 people including kids ranging 11months - 11years old. the staff was outstanding from the hostess to our waitress we were seated in a private room. our waitress was wonderful. very attentive and prompt. My guest and I were extremely pleased on the overall service and the food none the less was outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/14/2014Service was very poor. Our waiter was rushed and did not seem to listen to what he was told. I ordered my steak medium rare and when it came it was well done. I was unable to attract our waite'rs attention so flagged down another waiter. He asked what was wrong and I told him and he took the steak away. About 5 min later, our waiter came back with the same steak and asked what was wrong. I told him I had order the steak medium rare. He said he thought I said med well and took the steak away again. After everyone else was done with their meals and were boxing up leftovers, my waiter brought me another steak. This was totally unacceptable. He should have at least checked back with the table several times to see that all was well. The food, however, is always great and would I go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Gem in A Remote TownOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/14/2014After a beautiful ride through the back roads of Napa to Winters (don't do it in the dark), we happened on downtown Winters. We hadn't been there for 7 years since our daughter attend UC Davis. We remembered the sleepy town having a great steak restaurant so we thought we would try it again for my husband's birthday as we were on our way to Sacramento. Boy were we surprised! The town was jumping with wine tasting venues, bars, restaurants, outdoor pizza ovens, cute stores and a jammed downtown. This little gem draws people from all over. Our waiter shared that people come to the Buckhorn year after year to celebrate special occasions. He has repeat customers that he enjoys seeing every year. The tri-tip was the best my husband and I every ate (we have eaten the cut of meat in the birthplace of the cut in Santa Maria). The portion was huge. We weren't even able to finish it though we shared the dish. The value was amazing! In the Bay Area (where we reside) the cost of the dish would have been at least 30% more. We ordered a top shelf margarita (only $.75 more than the house tequila) and it was amazing as well. The service was perfect with a very friendly staff. The waiter engaged in discussion with us at the same time brought our hot food to us in a timely fashion. He topped the evening off with a special birthday gift, the Buckhorn special dessert, a mud pie which was again the best (better then Chart House) we had ever tasted. We will definitely return to the Buckhorn and even drive up there from the bay area to enjoy this gem of a restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014We have been going to the Buckhorn for several years to celebrate special occasions. This time we went on a Wed night with 7:00 reservations. I had told them that we had a 92 year old to consider. When we arrived they said that they just had to prepare the table. We waited 30 minutes and then when we were finally seated the service was extremely slow. (no one came for drink orders, not even water for 15 minutes) The steaks and soup were good. Everything else was mediocre.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fit to Enjoy!HolidayCelebratorDined on 11/9/2014Steaks and lamb were cooked to perfection! Loved the seasonal squash as a side dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to eat.ElOGrandeDined on 11/9/2014I found the restaurant welcoming. The food was tasty with flavor and cooked just right. I would highly recommend the place to my family and friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not satisfied with the foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014New York steak tasted like it had been sitting around for a long time, fish was overcooked and worst of all garlic mashed tasted fishy.
- great steakhouseFooDeeDined on 11/2/2014We dont' go to the Buckhorn very often as it is a bit pricey for us on a regular basis. Special occasion, celebrating the retirement of a co-worker. I think this is the best steakhouse in the region. Ambiance is pleasant, service is great, and the food is simply wonderful Steaks cooked to order, salad fresh, crisp with just the right amount of dressing. Dessert list offered but way too full to sample. Our server was very attentive without hovering, very relaxed demeanor, very helpful in her suggestions regarding the menu. Love this dining experience!Special Features:
- visitingwintersDined on 11/2/2014Great selection of food and beverages. Great for family outing. My only complaint is, I prefer the temperature of my food to be "Just of the grill or out of the pan." Meal I received - just after Buckhorn Steakhouse opened - was cool, as if just out of the warmer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service-Poor foodfamus1Dined on 11/1/2014My wife and I celebrated our 11th anniversary on Nov. 1st. We decided to dine at Buckhorn Steakhouse. I made a 8:15 pm reservation and we were not seated until 9:20pm. Normally we would have left but we drove an hour and a half to our destination. Mw wife ordered the ribeye and I ordered the sirloin medallions. The medallions were over cooked and the sauce was greasy and runny.II took 2 bites and did not finish my dish.The side dishes to choose from were sparce. My wifes steak was under cooked but she did eenjoy the mushroom soup..Overall I would give it 3 stars at best and we will not be going back
- Reservations don't mean muchLtcasDined on 11/1/2014Just FYI-the last two times we have been to this place we weren't seated at the time of our reservation. The first time it was about 15 minutes past our reservation time and this time it was 35 minutes. We showed up on time, but they don't seem to care much about reservations. Seems like they need to re-evaluate how they schedule their reservations because it's not working. Both times there were large crowds waiting for their tables and it seemed that everyone had reservations. I felt like I was overbooked on an airline.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SteakhouseProteinloverDined on 10/31/2014The Buckhorn is one of our favorites. The baseball sirloin is out of this world, very tender and flavorful. The staff is very friendly and helpful. Prices are reasonable and they have specials Monday through Thursday. Good local beers on draft and a nice wine list. Can't wait to go back.Special Features:
- smallness278Dined on 10/25/2014We were celebrating a birthday and most of us in our party of seven had the char-roasted sirloin, which was excellent. Melt-in-your-mouth tender and cooked as each of us ordered. Portions are generous and not surprisingly, we were all toting take-away containers. Dessert was their signature mud pie, served with a lit candle for the birthday boy. The two six-year-olds in our party were fully occupied with the coloring materials. My three stars for ambience is because of the noise level. It was difficult to hear the waiter and each other. But this seems to be the norm these days at restaurants. Overall a great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- partsbob67Dined on 10/25/2014they did an awesome job! highly recommend! food and service was great!Special Features:
- Known for their SteaksWSFoodieDined on 10/24/2014This was my 5th visit. It's about 45min from my house. I had the baseball sirloin and it was perfect. The sides, baked potato and butternut squash, were only slightly warm. I gave 4 stars because the steak was delicious. I would have given the sides a 2. I also had the clam chowder and it was also delicious...Special Features:
- Usually betterdavisbikerDined on 10/24/2014We have been to the Buckhorn many times and the last time was not up to their usual excellent experience. The salads arrived before the cocktails, one main course dinner was completely wrong and had to be brought out after the others were served, and my tri tip was medium and not medium rare as I ordered it. Those were the negatives of the night. The positives were the cocktails were well made, the one steak, two tri tips, and the prime rib that was served to our party of four were all delicious. Sad about mine being over cooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Skip itWinemanVIPDined on 10/21/2014Made a 90 minute drive to try this restaurant but was very disappointed. I don't mind paying the very high price ($37.00) for a good steak but mine was so bad that after two bites I put the rest in a take out container and gave it to my dog. My wife's prime rib was average at best. The wine list is also not noteworthy. Parenthetically, they did offer a partial refund on my bill after I expressed my disappointment.
- jjwintersDined on 10/20/2014The Buckhorn is a classic! Went there with my parents for their 41st wedding anniversary! It was a Monday adn there aren't many options in Winters on Monday night. We sat at the same table that I used to sit at with my grandfather when he would take me for lunch when I was much younger, aww the nostaglia. The only complaint is I have is the drink wait. We ordered glasses of wine and a bottle and they arrived when we were already finished with our dinner salads and moments before dinner. I had the prime rib it was good, my mom had the beer battered shrimp (can't go worng) and my dad had the baseball cut steak. The waitress was attentive and even remembered the anniversary note and brought us a piece of mud pie for dessert!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Service was great, waiter "Chris Weber"food was great.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014One of our favorite restaurants - excellent food and great service!Special Features:
- Awesome Anniversary DinnerSasyvicDined on 10/17/2014We had a great anniversary dinner and they even gave us a free dessert!!! The service was great and so was the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Small Town GemMatureDiner1Dined on 10/15/2014Located about one hour Northeast of Walnut Creek, the Buckhorn offers the best steaks, prime rib and chops available in the Bay Area. Having eaten there six times (with friends and family) and having had the opportunity to try almost everything on their menu, I can state without reservation, that the food will satisfy even the most jaded appetite. The atmosphere is charming, the booths and tables classical, the table settings are elegant and the service impeccable. All in all, the Buckhorn offers one of the most enjoyable dining experiences in the San Francisco Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!NewSpotsDined on 10/14/2014We came here for our anniversary and had made a reservation through Open Table. As soon as we walked in and told the staff that we had a reservation, it only took them about ten seconds to take us to our table. We had a great view of main street. We just happened to be there on the second Tuesday of the month, which is the classic car cruise night. There are all kinds of activities going on, and there's a great energy in the air. Our waitress Amy was fantastic. If you can get her, do it, she was great, and made it a point to recognize that we were there for our anniversary, even comping us a dessert. The food was incredible. Great steaks, great sides. Fun environment. The small town really turned into a new favorite spot for usSpecial Features:
- Great food, fun atmosphere!LynnieDined on 10/11/2014Great food! Fun waiters! But a bit expensive $145 for 3 people and 1 bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationBrennanBirthdaysDined on 10/11/2014Food & second to none! Great place to celebrate for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMaximus1Dined on 10/6/2014Food was amazing! A pretty good variety to choose from. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Came out to the Buckhorn for my wife's birthday. Food and service were excellent. Free dessert too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buckhorn is greatfood4dukeDined on 10/4/2014Wonderful restaurant, great food, great service. Need to go more often, took my husband for his birthday. Fire-roasted artichokes very flavorful, salads fresh, rack of ribs delicious. I had the prime rib and it melted in my mouth, everything was exceptional from the bread to the dessert. Also had the Giants game on in the bar so we could check the score. Waiter was knowledgeable and service was prompt. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for great food and atmosphere. We thought about the Napa-Sonoma area, but this was better and same distance from Fairfield. For all we ate, the price was very reasonable and we enjoyed ourselves. Love that you have not changed the décor.Special Features:
- Meal for a Kingcoffee1Dined on 10/4/2014Exceeded even my high expectations...............food was tasty, mushrooms were exquisite, my Margarita was delicious, Tomahawk steak...outstanding.....................................Special Features:
- Old time charmbillyi3Dined on 10/3/2014Have been here several times. Especially love the shrimp cocktail, as the sauce is quite spicy. Never have had a bad meal, and the service is always top notch!Special Features:
- Good ServicenoneDined on 10/3/2014Tried to charge for Calamari which was not ordered. Unfortunately, did not notice till after check was paid. Again, goofed up credit card!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My thanks to the staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014My husband just turned 70 -- our group consisted of 12 people, but your staff was both friendly and efficient. We've always received great service at your restaurant. It's become a family favorite! Thanks very much!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rib Eye StakelocaldinnersDined on 9/28/2014My husband ordered the Rib Eye Stake for his 76 birthday meal. He's a great cook himself and was very disappointed with the cut. The meat had a great deal of gristle that made the overall stake seem tough. My halibut was outstanding.