2 Main St.
Winters, CA 95694Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buckhornsteakhouse.com/
- Phone: 5307954503
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00 PM - 9:30 PM, Friday - Saturday: 5:00 PM - 10:00 PM, Sunday: 2:00 PM - 9:00 PM.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Fred Reyes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Buckhorn Steakhouse
Famous for its 42 day aged, hand cut on premise, Certified Angus Beef steaks. Signature steaks include the Taylor-cut Sirloin wrapped in Wisconsin apple wood-smoked bacon, 24oz bone in Rib Eye, Char Roasted Sirloin and Prime Rib. Other specialties include succulent local Rack of Lamb & Hearty Soups. Inclusive side dishes include salads, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Roadhouse Onions, and warm sourdough bread with mounds of real whipped butter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerSteak
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Buckhorn Steakhouse - Best Restaurants in Winters ›
Buckhorn Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
183 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (136)neighborhood gem (106)good for groups (85)fit for foodies (60)romantic (38)great for outdoor dining (33)kid-friendly (32)notable wine list (25)vibrant bar scene (25)hot spot (19)great for lunch (12)late-night find (8)great for brunch (7)scenic view (4)Show More
- Skip itWinemanVIPDined on 10/21/2014Made a 90 minute drive to try this restaurant but was very disappointed. I don't mind paying the very high price ($37.00) for a good steak but mine was so bad that after two bites I put the rest in a take out container and gave it to my dog. My wife's prime rib was average at best. The wine list is also not noteworthy. Parenthetically, they did offer a partial refund on my bill after I expressed my disappointment.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/20/2014The Buckhorn is a classic! Went there with my parents for their 41st wedding anniversary! It was a Monday adn there aren't many options in Winters on Monday night. We sat at the same table that I used to sit at with my grandfather when he would take me for lunch when I was much younger, aww the nostaglia. The only complaint is I have is the drink wait. We ordered glasses of wine and a bottle and they arrived when we were already finished with our dinner salads and moments before dinner. I had the prime rib it was good, my mom had the beer battered shrimp (can't go worng) and my dad had the baseball cut steak. The waitress was attentive and even remembered the anniversary note and brought us a piece of mud pie for dessert!Special Features:
- GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/20/2014Service was great, waiter "Chris Weber"food was great.Special Features:
- ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 10/18/2014One of our favorite restaurants - excellent food and great service!Special Features:
- Small Town GemMatureDiner1Dined on 10/15/2014Located about one hour Northeast of Walnut Creek, the Buckhorn offers the best steaks, prime rib and chops available in the Bay Area. Having eaten there six times (with friends and family) and having had the opportunity to try almost everything on their menu, I can state without reservation, that the food will satisfy even the most jaded appetite. The atmosphere is charming, the booths and tables classical, the table settings are elegant and the service impeccable. All in all, the Buckhorn offers one of the most enjoyable dining experiences in the San Francisco Bay Area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!NewSpotsDined on 10/14/2014We came here for our anniversary and had made a reservation through Open Table. As soon as we walked in and told the staff that we had a reservation, it only took them about ten seconds to take us to our table. We had a great view of main street. We just happened to be there on the second Tuesday of the month, which is the classic car cruise night. There are all kinds of activities going on, and there's a great energy in the air. Our waitress Amy was fantastic. If you can get her, do it, she was great, and made it a point to recognize that we were there for our anniversary, even comping us a dessert. The food was incredible. Great steaks, great sides. Fun environment. The small town really turned into a new favorite spot for usSpecial Features:
- Great food, fun atmosphere!LynnieDined on 10/11/2014Great food! Fun waiters! But a bit expensive $145 for 3 people and 1 bottle of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday celebrationBrennanBirthdaysDined on 10/11/2014Food & second to none! Great place to celebrate for any occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodMaximus1Dined on 10/6/2014Food was amazing! A pretty good variety to choose from. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Came out to the Buckhorn for my wife's birthday. Food and service were excellent. Free dessert too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buckhorn is greatfood4dukeDined on 10/4/2014Wonderful restaurant, great food, great service. Need to go more often, took my husband for his birthday. Fire-roasted artichokes very flavorful, salads fresh, rack of ribs delicious. I had the prime rib and it melted in my mouth, everything was exceptional from the bread to the dessert. Also had the Giants game on in the bar so we could check the score. Waiter was knowledgeable and service was prompt. Would definitely recommend to anyone looking for great food and atmosphere. We thought about the Napa-Sonoma area, but this was better and same distance from Fairfield. For all we ate, the price was very reasonable and we enjoyed ourselves. Love that you have not changed the décor.Special Features:
- Meal for a Kingcoffee1Dined on 10/4/2014Exceeded even my high expectations...............food was tasty, mushrooms were exquisite, my Margarita was delicious, Tomahawk steak...outstanding.....................................Special Features:
- Old time charmbillyi3Dined on 10/3/2014Have been here several times. Especially love the shrimp cocktail, as the sauce is quite spicy. Never have had a bad meal, and the service is always top notch!Special Features:
- Good ServicenoneDined on 10/3/2014Tried to charge for Calamari which was not ordered. Unfortunately, did not notice till after check was paid. Again, goofed up credit card!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My thanks to the staff!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014My husband just turned 70 -- our group consisted of 12 people, but your staff was both friendly and efficient. We've always received great service at your restaurant. It's become a family favorite! Thanks very much!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rib Eye StakelocaldinnersDined on 9/28/2014My husband ordered the Rib Eye Stake for his 76 birthday meal. He's a great cook himself and was very disappointed with the cut. The meat had a great deal of gristle that made the overall stake seem tough. My halibut was outstanding.
- Best SteakhousejW168Dined on 9/27/2014Best Steakhouse ever! Enough Said. I now reside in the east coast but if I am ever in the Sacramento or SF I will make a point to have their Rib Eye steak.Special Features:
- Great0000Dined on 9/21/2014Love the Buckhorn, eat there all the time and have never been disappointed with anything.Special Features:
- Our favorite anniversary spotOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014We travel from Placerville every September 20 for our anniversary dinner. The Buckhorn never disappoints us. The steaks are outstanding. Jim's favorite is the ribeye, while Elsie favors the filet mignon.Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Great tasting food with everything we ordered. Portions were generous. My daughter was impressed with the whole experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meat! But...FlavorSeekerDined on 9/18/2014Excellent cuts of meat cooked wonderfully, but the rest of the meal consists of pretty standard side dishes you can find at any typical chain steakhouse, and were on the disappointing side. Rice, mashed potatoes, fries, etc. Veggies - check. All of these were just okay, in my opinion. They did have a few intriguing choices on the appetizer menu, but because the meal portions are so big we did not order any apps. I guess I felt it was lacking some sort of "wow" factor for the price. Excellent selection of wine and drinks. Fantastic staff. Like I said, great meat, but…Special Features:
- Salads no longer a problem.bearrasDined on 9/16/2014We have driven from the Bay Area many times and a I have always been disappointed by the salads. They seemed to be made up of greens from Coscto and dressed with bottled dressing. This time I asked for an old-fashion wedge of iceberg lettuce with a dressing of mayo, ketchup and relish. The waiter wrote it all down and a few minutes later served me exactly what I wanted. Cold and delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeHappydinerDined on 9/14/2014We go to The Buckhorn for birthdays, and they have never disappointed us. The beef is outstanding and the servers are top-notch. Always a wonderful experience. We always try to bring in new friends.Special Features:
- Perfect eveningDragondiner1Dined on 9/13/2014I love The Buckhorn! It is my go-to restaurant anytime I am headed to The Palms for an evening of music. The food is great and the wait staff is superior!!Special Features:
- Best Steak in the RegionMooMooDined on 9/13/2014If you are looking for steak, the Buckhorn is the best place in the region. Don't miss the Tomahawk. They advertise for "2" but for modest eaters there is enough for 4+. The"+" being the most awesome looking rib for the dog. You may order a complete set of extra sides for your additional guests. Service is sharp and not necessarily conducive to a leisurely meal. We are happy that they revamped their menu. Calamari that doesn't need "mayo" was a hit and we were pleasantly surprised to see chicken and pasta on the menu. What needs to be improved? With a great farm-to-fork culture in the region, the selection of veggies could be updated; the salad was drowned; and the wine list could use some shoring up. BUT we love the steak.Special Features:
- No loud children, please.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014As usual the food and service were excellent. Although, the patrons behind us had two small children, each who screamed in alternated or in synchronized screams and yells. The reason we went to the Buckhorn Steakhouse on 9/11/2014 was in celebration of my mother's birthday and were expecting a mature dining experience with a calm atmosphere . We didn't really engage much in conversation for the intermittent yet almost constant screaming by at least one of the two children. The parents responsible for this behavior did not seem to care that other patrons did not pay to hear how how their household runs at home. I did not bring this up to management at the time, but I'd appreciate it if this message were forwarded to the intended party.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Steakhouse within 100 milesOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/10/2014My wife and I visit here once every 2-3 months and are never disappointed. The wait staff always know every detail about the meal you are ordering, and are extremely attentive and helpful. The sourdough bread is top notch. The filet is cooked to perfection, just the way my wife ordered it. The elk was lean and tender (a very difficult meat to cook properly). The desserts were very rick, we should've shared one, but couldn't resist getting our own.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carnivores rejoice!SelectiveDinerDined on 9/7/2014The steaks are always tasty and perfectly done. Even the Roadhouse salad (my favorite) is tasty and huge. Portobello shrooms is a meal in itself and do not disappoint. Yumm! Flexible when we had to move the reservation.Special Features:
- 50th Birthday DinnerTeriZDined on 9/6/2014The Buckhorn is always great! This was my husband's choice for his (private) 50th birthday dinner with just he, our daughter and myself. The food was great (grilled artichoke was amazing and prime ribs and filet were great!!) and the complimentary birthday chocolate dessert was to die for. Also, they have a nice wine list, but the corkage fee is very reasonable. I think this will be our destination for our daughter's 21st birthday dinner too!Special Features:
- Great Service Great FoodPreggoFoodieDined on 9/6/2014This was our first time at the Buckhorn Grill. The area the restaurant is located is very beautiful at night. We made a reservation online and had been seated within 10 min of our reservation time even though it was packed. The waitress was great. I never had to ask for anything she had it ready or brought to me. Service was great, and food was great as well!Special Features:
- Best dinnerJulieAnnDined on 9/6/2014The food was awesome!! The staff friendly and fast. Haven't enjoyed a meal like that in years. Planning to take my brother for his upcoming birthday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Corner Gem!soccermomDined on 9/3/2014We've always had great food and service...would recommend it to everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Experience!FrankDined on 9/3/2014Service was Excellent (Angie T.) was our server. Food is excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/1/2014The food and service were great as always. The ambiance on this visit was destroyed by a 6-7 year old child at another table jumping around or lying in the aisle. I would expect this type of behavior at a fast food restaurant, not the Buckhorn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a family birthday celebrationspamilDined on 8/31/2014We went to our favorite place in Northern California and it was everything that we remembered and then some. Great Food Wonderful Service. A good time was had by all.Special Features:
- DisappointingenjoyfinediningDined on 8/30/2014We went to celebrate a special occasion. Appetizers were nothing special. calamari were tiny and tasted mostly like batter. We all ordered the baseball sirloin cut medium rare. 3 of the steaks were overdone and we sent 2 out of 4 back. The 2 steaks came back raw. 3rd time round the steaks were finally right but it took over an hour later. Steaks were good but not delicious, tasted a bit charcoally as if they were not cleaning the grill enough.. For the price at $32 per steak, this was a disappointing restaurant. Waiter was good. The outdoor area does not take reservations.. for an upscale place, a free for all , no matter who arrives first does not seem appropriate. In general the buckhorn is not as good as I remembered. Will not be back.Special Features:
- why reserve?tinkleberryDined on 8/30/2014Was extremely disappointed for the 2nd time with your reservation system and customer service. Why reserve if we still have to wait for 20-30 minutes? Also, not the best attitude from the front staff, very unfriendly. The steaks are great, but with the disappointing service I will think twice before coming here again.
- Very GoodbleemaDined on 8/30/2014Dined with my friend for her 65th birthday. Ordered the salmon and vegetables which was excellent. My friend ordered the peppered steak which I tasted and thought that was very good as well. I would describe the ambience as fun and happy and a place where the food is good and you feel comfortable while you are having a great conversation with friends and family. The vodka martini with two stuffed blue cheese olives wasn't bad either!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You never leave hungry!Variant003Dined on 8/29/2014The steak is still best around. The setting in a 150 year old building is beautiful. And I like the added outdoor seating when the city redesigned the street. Definitely worth renting a car and driving from San Francisco for dinner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return guestOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014The prime rib is what I always order when we eat at the Buck Horn. It is the place we go to celebrate a special occasionSpecial Features: