15 Shoreline Highway
Mill Valley, CA 94941Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.buckeyeroadhouse.com/
- Phone: 4153312600
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday and Sunday 11:30/10:30am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday -
Friday 11:30am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday 3:00pm - 10:00pm, Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 10:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 3:00pm -10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Robert Price
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Parties of 16 or less may order from an a'la carte menu.
- Private Party Contact: Montana Luchsinger 4153312600
A word from Buckeye Roadhouse
Buckeye Roadhouse is a beautiful, cozy, Aspen lodge-like dining room, complete with fireplace.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerSpecial Occasion
Buckeye Roadhouse - Best Restaurants in Mill Valley ›
Buckeye Roadhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
313 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (174)fit for foodies (143)neighborhood gem (120)great for lunch (114)great for brunch (94)good for groups (88)vibrant bar scene (86)romantic (78)notable wine list (60)hot spot (46)kid-friendly (38)scenic view (22)great for outdoor dining (14)late-night find (11)Show More
- Past its Prime?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014Though the service was very attentive and the setting handsome, the food at the Buckeye Roadhouse did not live up to my expectations at all. The burrata, nectarine, and baby artichoke appetizer was a sad joke, with 3 thin, rock-hard bits of fruit and 2 tiny, cold, hard little artichokes. This is a real meat and potatoes place, with only one entree choice (tasty but uncreative pasta) for the vegetarian in your group--not up to Bay Area standards. My husband enjoyed his chicken dinner. The whole meal, though, felt old-fashioned and a bit tired. My favorite thing was the huge pile of thinly battered onion rings, but even it was hard to eat-- fingers, fork? I won"t be going back to the Buckeye, sadly.
- Could have been better foodOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/27/2014Great mixed drinks. Good sounding specials and standard menu items. Had special salad of grilled water melon, tomatoes, etc. This was good. Special Sea Bass over saffron rice tasted like old fish they were trying to get out of the fridge and off the books. Others had pork chops they were not interested in finishing. Great location, great bar, food needs work.Special Features:
- GREAT FOOD!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014Great historic facility with charm, great service, and above all GREAT FOOD!Special Features:
- Long history at the BuckeyeOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/24/2014First the negative but that will be short because the overall experience was quite nice. Free valet is available if there are open spots. It is difficult to get into the parking lot on the opposite side and dangerous to cross the highway to retrieve your vehicle. I expected it to be loud and packed but since we went on a Sunday at 12:30 the noise was not an issue. We were also seated upstairs which was much quieter. The waitress was very friendly, knowlegdeable and accomodating. I was eager to try the scallops but unfortunately they were not available on the brunch menu. She did ask the chef but we had a back up just in case. Our meals were delicious and we would defninitely go back, with the hope we could have the scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An update Marin County favoriteEricsReviewsDined on 8/21/2014We took old friends from southern California out to dinner and requested a good table in order to treat them like VIPs. We weren't disappointed. The restaurant provided us with the best table in the house. Service was excellent and the food fantastic. It was very busy and the noise level was a bit high, although not annoyingly. The ambiance is like a California modern Marin version of a roadhouse...which befits the Buckeye since it began as an authentic roadhouse many decades ago. Our friends thoroughly enjoyed themselves. Even the valet parking attendant was upbeat and friendly. The bill for the four of us came to over $200 with drinks...but we all felt it was worth it.Special Features:
- ConsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/18/2014Good food and service every time. We were sat next to a large tar that was loud, but that happensSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- consistent, cozy and lovableOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/18/2014Buckeye feels like an old friend, even if you've been there only once. I love a lodge-like atmosphere and this delivers that big time, replete with lots of wood and fireplace and soaring beam ceilings. the staff is truly, really nice all the time...lots of smiles and quick service to accommodate needs and requests -- they're pros. food is great, especially if you're going for meats, bbq and earthy apps like onion rings and the rich but delicious oysters bingo. it's more expensive than your neighborhood tavern would be, but it's the kind of place you would hit twice a week if you could.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- scoutDined on 8/16/2014This was our second time at the Roadhouse. We have eaten in the bar area before and everything is top notch. Our visit this time was for a retirement party of 7 people. No on raved about their meal but no one left anything on their plate. The servings are relatively small. We don't go out that much but the tab with drinks and tip was a little over $400. The staff works hard and we didn't have to wait long for the meal to be served. Everyone had dessert. So yummmy. I would recommend all of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Event VenueOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014I recently made reservations at the Buckeye after spending some time at Tennessee Valley with family. We came casually dressed on a Saturday afternoon and enjoyed a fabulous late lunch with excellent customer service. There was a 50th anniversary celebration going on upstairs which was fun to see as well. I'd go back for a special occasion- either as a couple or a group.Special Features:
- Great food, lousy servicePeepersDined on 8/16/2014This has been my go-to place for over 20 years but this last visit was a real disappointment. The food was still good but the service was absolutely terrible. We went at a really slow time with half the tables open. Other wait staff were just hanging around but our waitress kept disappearing for long stretches of time. We had to find other people to ask for water, to ask for our entrees and to ask for our check. Really different from what I've been used to all these years. I'd still recommend Buckeye but be warned about getting a sour grape server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; Loud; Service mediocreWKLCAMDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I go to the Roadhouse for special occasions. We like the food, the service is usually attentive, but the ambiance can be hit or miss. In particular, the noise level can be loud. This last time the service was less than what we had come to expect. We had made reservations for 8PM, yet we had to wait about 15-20 minutes before the table was ready. I think there may be too few tables for two people. Our waiter was slow in coming to our table and slow in returning to take our order, and worst of all, he was not attentive or had an air of not caring throughout the evening. I am rethinking about going to the Roadhouse for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Civilized Cocktails…Burgers "to go"outonthetownDined on 8/14/2014We enjoyed cocktails & apps in the bar…then took our burgers in a limo and everything was perfect! Delicious & decadent burgers…all bases were covered! Consistently good food & service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FoodLynwoodDined on 8/14/2014We have never had a bad meal. We have eaten here several times. We recommend this restaurant to everyone!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerknitterDined on 8/9/2014I was very happy with this restaurant. Beautiful inside and out. Staff was very friendly and very attentive. Enjoyed the food although I would have like to had more fish dishes to choose from. Overall this was a great pick and we enjoyed our dinner,Special Features:
- Great place for localsYummDined on 8/8/2014We came 10 min early for our reservation and watched as locals were seated before us. The table was freezing. I think the airconditioning for the whole place was directed towards us. The food was delicious and the service was great. We'll come back, but we will shoot for 10 min lateSpecial Features:
- Great food, Indifferent ServiceCharityDined on 8/8/2014For the price we paid, I'd have expected much more attentive service. Excellent food, though!Special Features:
- Somewhat confused...IndaknowVIPDined on 8/8/2014Can't figure it out exactly, but Buckeye has been getting better and better ::: Three visits in the past 6 weeks and this establishment is close to having the best food and the best service in all of Marin ::: Mazel Tov!...
- Never FailsOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/7/2014This place is always consistent. It's my favorite place in Marin and I highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite restaurant in MarinMelissa1Dined on 8/7/2014For years this has been our family favorite. The Buckeye can be either formal or informal because it has such a relaxed atmosphere. The presentation of the food is truly beautiful and every item I have had doesn't disappoint ... mouth watering. The dishes & cocktails are innovative, unique and delicious and healthy portions ... definitely worth the price. We love to go to the Buckeye for anniversaries, company dinners and anytime we want a special dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MVnativeDined on 8/6/2014The service was efficient. The food was excellent, much of it sourced locally. Try the gin and tonic. The gin is from Mill Valley, not like any you've had before.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent as alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/5/2014Just wish they had more vegetarian options so I could get my wife to dine here.
- Another wonderful mealtmfoodieDined on 8/4/2014Brought friends from out of town this time. Everyone enjoyed a wonderful meal. Perfect in all ways.Special Features:
- Training neededemerald55Dined on 8/4/2014The food was fantastic, our waiter was great, but our experience was significantly marred by aggressive busboys that removed our plates before we were finished, and at the end of our meal cleared everything including our water glasses. They might have well have said "GET OUT!" Also the bathroom had no toilet seat covers and was a mess. I think the management needs to pay attention to these details.Special Features:
- Awesome restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/4/2014Fantastic ribs from their own smokehouse. Kids still talking about s'more dessertSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EddieDined on 8/3/2014Had a wonderful dinner with family.....Food was great!.......Service was spot on and the place was packed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo Buckeye!BonnieDined on 8/3/2014Still great after all these years!! You never fail to delight!Special Features:
- Favorite restaurantfussydinerDined on 7/30/2014Consistent food. We always start with Oysters Bingo; they are the best. Calamari are good too. Onion appetizer are tasty. Good menu selection. Salads & sandwiches are great too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MiShuTaiMiShuTaiDined on 7/29/2014It appeared to be an unusually busy night and hence the food, service and ambience whole suffered severely. In the past of had very nice meals with better than average food.Special Features:
- Well Done and Done Well...IndaknowVIPDined on 7/29/2014Buckeye is an institution in Marin, it's predictable, reliable, quality food, service, good energy - what's not to like?...
- Lovely SurprisejonathonstoneVIPDined on 7/27/2014Not dining at Buckeye Roadhouse for 10 years, more or less, three of us had a delicious meal in the bar area. Brisket of beef, filet of petrale, & "flat iron" steak were all so good. Nothing complicated but just very tasty. Very packed but service was good.Special Features:
- Consistently Great Food & Service2xyrBoardMeetingGirlsDined on 7/26/2014I have been coming to the Buckeye twice a year with the same girl friends for our semi-annual "Board Meeting." The food is always fantastic and the servers are top notch. The Buckeye was the first restaurant my husband went to and he was an infant. It holds a special place in our hearts and I can't wait to go back in January 2015!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old school classjrlawDined on 7/26/2014you wouldn/t think that one big noisy room would be intimate but it isSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Oysters BingoNonicknameDined on 7/26/2014Ordering Oysters Bingo before all else is a must. Incredibly delicious! Wonderful food, always a dining pleasure.Special Features:
- Great as always..OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/25/2014Scallops with fresh corn in the polenta was aaahhhmazing! Our server was fantastic ...great time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A surprising disappointmentDebduendeVIPDined on 7/22/2014Been going to The Buckeye for years. Had been over a year since my last visit though. Decor is still lovely; service wonderful. The food was the big disappointment. We both ordered the baby back ribs. They were very overcooked which made them dry, somewhat tough and pretty tasteless. There was not enough BBQ sauce so they were very bland. Alas!!! Will not be going back for a bit now. Would have told the waitperson but my mother is 85 and would have been "embarrassed", (her generation never speaks up for themselves!) if I had said something, so I refrained. A lot of money wasted on a substandard lunch.
- SO LOUD WE HAD TO PLUG OUR EARSJTnChristieVIPDined on 7/20/2014Our table was next to the loudest most obnoxious people I have encountered in the Bay Area. "Sugar Thighs" was a bullhorn of off-color class-less conversation for an hour of our meal. YUK! Food: Fabulous, maybe the tastiest wings I have ever enjoyed. Beautiful presentation of all dishes, basil pasta in the squid dish was incredible. Solid defined flavors and good portions. Service: Perfect, but difficult to hear over the 5 top table next to us.Special Features:
- Food great.... Customers not so...BRB94941VIPDined on 7/20/2014We love this restaurant but our evening was almost ruined by a large group of Louis who were shouting and screaming so loudly we and other customers asked to be moved. The restaurant acted wonderfully but it's too bad they have to accommodate boors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- emceeDined on 7/20/2014Did not like the major attitude from both hostesses. Food was fantastic. Very loud place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jufyVIPDined on 7/20/2014We went for brunch at 11:15. We were seated right away. The food, for all but one of us, was delicious. The one unhappy person had ordered French toast and the bread was too thick and there were too many raisins, which detracted from the dish as a whole. Service was not very good, from the wait staff to the bus staff. The noise level wasn't too bad because we were fairly early, which made me wonder at the poor service. This is still a favorite Mill Valley restaurant and we will definitely go there again.Special Features:
- So Great!foodsamplerDined on 7/19/2014Thankfully we called for a reservation for our party, but the valet double checked before we even got out of the car! The place was packed with people really enjoying themselves. The atmosphere is lodge-like and rustic, but not campy. The waiter knew his "stuff." The wine list was fabulous (we enjoyed Parador, hard to find in wine shops!) The portions were just right. I had a pasta dish with calamari that simply couldn't be surpassed. Our friends from Spain had baby back ribs and raved! I cannot wait to go back!Special Features: