604 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5V 1M6Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buca.ca/
- Phone: 4168651600x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Sunday - Wednesday 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Thursday - Saturday 5:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Rob Gentile
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Chris Loizou (416) 865-1600x
A word from Buca
Buca Osteria & Enoteca brings Italy to Toronto’s dining hotbed on King Street. Executive Chef Rob Gentile has been internationally celebrated for his locally sourced, constantly changing menu. Guests are drawn to return time and again for the warm hospitality and artisanal fare, including famed house-cured meats, pizza, and pasta, inspired by the classic traditions of Italy with a contemporary culinary touch. An open curing room is on view, and beyond the Enoteca, a smaller wine bar, offers the perfect space for intimate gatherings. Tucked at the end of a private brick walkway, guests can choose to dine under the soaring ceilings of the restaurant’s industrial chic dining room or al fresco on the sleek outdoor patio. Consistently rated one of Canada’s best restaurants by critics since its opening, Buca is a modern classic built on the perfect balance of old world and new.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Buca reviews from OpenTable diners
179 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (124)special occasion (98)notable wine list (88)hot spot (69)romantic (60)neighborhood gem (53)great for outdoor dining (42)good for groups (40)great for lunch (26)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (9)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- JeanieMontrealjeaniemontrealDined on 10/26/2014Buca is a go to for me when I am in Toronto. The food is carefully prepared with quality ingredients. Service comes with fantastic narratives.Special Features:
- Never dissapointsNix77Dined on 10/24/2014This in my 3rd time at Buca, and it exceeds my expectations every single time. I am in love with the pizza. Cannot wait for another special occasion so I have an excuse to go back.Special Features:
- UnevenAlexDined on 10/24/2014This was my first time at Buca. The service was very friendly and accommodating, but the quality of food was uneven. The menu is eclectic and has many ethnic dishes not found in most restaurants in Toronto. I didn't like pig's ears even though I like chewing cartilage. The ears had very little flavor. Brains wrapped in cheese would have been divine if there was more brains, less cheese, and if the cheese were not so salty. The beet salad was excellent, but lacked any salt. Yet when it came to the ravioli, they were the best I've ever had. I don't drink or eat desserts, so I can't comment on those. The cost was quite moderate -- about $140 for a dinner for 2 with 2 glasses of wine.Special Features:
- OverratedMaisyDined on 10/23/2014The tasting menu just wasn't sublime. The wine pairings didn't really go with the food in any way. Can't really point to anything wrong, it just wasn't great in any way.Special Features:
- FantasticJamesDined on 10/20/2014There was a notable Food Network celebrity chef dining next to us. It's that kind of place.Special Features:
- Business LunchingSalesRepDined on 10/17/2014Great spot for a business lunch. Plates are shareable, but not messy. We always go for the pigs' ears, bread knots, and the dumplings as appies. The only complaint is that the pizzas are so good that I keep forgetting to branch out to other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Buca Dtwn&Buca YorkvilleGoodeatzDined on 10/16/2014Tried both locations preferred buca on king much more relaxed. To much fabulousness at buca Yorkville ( to much staff standing around yet food arrived before wine annoying at that level of restaurant )Special Features:
- Great lunch at Buca yet againSeanSDined on 10/14/2014I have enjoyed lunch at Buca a number of times over the past few years and I have never been disappointed. Great food, great service, I am hard pressed to say what I would improve upon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night indeedYammerDined on 10/11/2014Celebrated a birthday dinner. Food, drinks, service & ambiance were all exceptional. Definitely will recommend and return to try the tasters menu soon. 👍👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pasta was just okcraigarVIPDined on 10/9/2014The pizzas looked fantastic, but I didn’t order that. Service was great.
- Spectacular Dinner at BucaFoodDivaLiciousDined on 10/4/2014Foodies and lovers of good food and wine, this is the place! We enjoyed a spectacular dinner recently at Buca on King St. W. Our server was an excellent guide as we considered the menu, with both exotic (ie: crisp pigs ears) to traditional dishes you'd expect to see on an Italian menu. We weren't adventuresome to try anything exotic, but our dinner was truly exceptional. We shared a delicious salad, enjoyed a pasta dish that was inventive and incredible, and savored a phenomenal veal dish. The wine recommended by the server was delicious and perfect across all courses. The service was unhurried. We had arrived with high expectations, given Buca's reputation. We weren't disappointed. We loved the entire experience. Really, really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/2/2014Amazingly delicious. Great service and beautiful interior. We’ll be back without a doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 10/2/2014food is very inventive and well prepared. Our server helped us through the menu and provided excellent suggestions. However, it all adds up to a pretty pricey night out.Special Features:
- The best in TODonSVIPDined on 10/1/2014What a fantastic restaurant, my son had the Prix Fix more meat menu and I had the Vegetarian. A server came to our table to tell us about it. The food was wonderful. Can't wait to go to the new Buca.Special Features:
- Spectacular dining experience.tastetreatsDined on 9/28/2014From the greeting at the door to the send off everything was perfect. The staff were kind, knowledgeable and engaged in conversation without getting in the way of our dining experience. We had the tasting menu with wine pairings and what a memorable experience that was! Every course and the extras treats were just right. They also accommodated a food allergy very graciously making substitutions in that they even called ahead of our reservation to discuss the allergy and let us know how they would approach this. I would absolutely recommend to friends. A night to remember. One of the best dinners I have every had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buca or Grotto?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We ate in the 'wine cave' and it was suited to cave living - it was freezing cold!! Had I known we would have been seated in that area, I would have brought my sabre tooth fur to keep me warm. Despite a cold experience, the food was delicious and the service impeccable. I would return but would request to be seated in the front of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014meaty pizza was not the greateast - tirimasu was amazing - small dishes for what you are paying. pizza is the way to go to get bank for your buck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated bucaGiselleDined on 9/24/2014Expensive wine!$38 for a 5 oz Brunello dI montalcuno. Pasta nothing special, service and decor great , too much rock salt on everything, stuffed olives were deep fried and deep fry was not mentioned on the menu. Disappointed given that joanne Kates rated it first of the 100 best
- Always spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014My only complaint is that I always eat too much! Menu is always fresh, with the favourites always represented. Best Nodini ever!Special Features:
- Buca is for Italian Foodieskitchenterror60Dined on 9/21/2014Very interesting and unusual menu i.e. nose to tail items. I really liked the home made cured meats. A bit overpriced for what you get but the quality of the food was very good. They could do a better job on their Puttanesca. I would definitely go back for more sampling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, Great foodJane0690Dined on 9/17/2014Service here was absolutely amazing. Staff was really friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were having a great experience. Really reasonable prices here as well and the food was amazing especially the almond flourless cake we got for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ServiceDickDined on 9/17/2014Friendly, attentive service. Interesting room with dishes that have a fascinating twist on flavors.Special Features:
- Amazing...but expensive winejcanuckDined on 9/16/2014Buca continues to produce fantastic food with great service and atmosphere. The cured meats and bread knots are must-have staples there, and my wife's Branzino was cooked to perfection. Portion size is nice and small, which I like...lots of flavour, but you don't have to roll out of the restaurant after dinner. My only complaint is the wine list. Not the wines (I love Italian wine), not the sommelier (he picked out a gem for us), but the pricing. There are not nearly enough bottles under $100, and very few in the $60 to $80 sweet spot (for non-expense account diners). The markup is just too high. From the wines I recognized, it seemed to be ~300%, even for wines retailing for $80. That kind of markup is just too much IMO.Special Features:
- A little Tuscany in TOOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Nicely done. Only issue the portions are small for the prices charged - wouldn't fly in ItalySpecial Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Very unique presentation and the server was very knowledgeable. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- AmazingWonderfulDined on 9/12/2014We went to Buca for a Friday afternoon lunch. Food was terrific, service was superb and the atmosphere was very quaint. We will be back!!!Special Features:
- qualifiedtocommentDined on 9/8/2014I found the food excellent the menu too restrictive and suggest any patrons see the menu before you book as it changes every 2 days. Ours had too much pork as well. For $32 for 4oz fish there were no sides added and few were offered as options. I left hungry. Best regards, Stephen J. Renard President RENARD INTERNATIONAL HOSPITALITY SEARCH CONSULTANTS 121 Richmond Street West, Suite 500 Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5H 2K1 Tel: (1) 416 364 8325, ext. 228 Fax: (1) 416 364 4924 Email: Steve@renardinternational.com Web site: www.renardinternational.com www.renardglobalmanagement.comSpecial Features:
- arielrellDined on 9/7/2014Food was delicious but I have to say not a very good value. It was extremely expensive for very small portions. $26 for about 1/2 cup of pasta. As well, many high-end restaurants will take into account the number of people at your table when arranging bread and even some appetizers. We ordered charceuterie and cheese for the 5 of us, and most of the meats had about 3 or 4 pieces. And again they brought us 4 very small slices of bread.Special Features:
- OutstandingMaxCVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great good, great ambience. Amazing. Service was fantastic, great traditional dishes prepared in a very modern way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denzel ate here!!!FoodieGirlVIPDined on 9/6/2014I had a fantastic dinner here, everything except for one thing we ordered was amazing. My friend and I shared the nodini (definite must), beef Carpaccio, gnocco fritto, duck egg pasta, ravioli and tiramisu. The only disappointment was the gnocco fritto. I thought it was going to be fried gnocchi but it was a puffed up bready thing. Not that it was bad but not as delicious as everything else we ate. The duck egg pasta lived up to all the hype I heard and the tiramisu was one of the best I've had. The service was top notch! Last thing I need to mention, my dining experience was heightened to another level when I saw DENZEL WASHINGTON also eating at the restaurant!! I read Buca was a popular spot for celebs during TIFF and they were right!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/3/2014A lovely lunch on their shaded patio. Ethereal funghi pizza, great salad, and salumi tray. Expensive, but on a summer day, quite wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clearly in a special classxmtlerDined on 8/31/2014Having tried its little off shoot across the street, I had been looking forward to trying the restaurant proper. While most of the super hyped restaurants in this city too often disappoint, I was so pleasantly surprised. The ambiance and decor is a great setting. The service was friendly, professional and gracious. The wine list is excellent - if perhaps a little over priced. The dishes were simply excellent. While the fried ravioli was a little too precious, the six other dishes (3 apps, 2 mains, and a dessert) we shared were most memorable. The evening was everything we hoped it would be. I look forward to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedredmeanstopDined on 8/30/2014We had a couple of delicious cocktails with the deep friend stuffed olives and beef carpaccio to begin. Followed by a perfectly cooked blood sausage spaghetti and a classic pizza. All were delicious - while the cake concoction at the end was perfectly sweet and light for dessert. Our server was attentive and sweet - knowledgable about the menu and have great suggestions and pairing ideas. Will definitely recap mind and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Problem with portion sizeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014I'm usually too lazy to write reviews and don't really care. I really want to come back to Buca in the future, hence the following review: The servers were friendly and very knowledgeable with the dishes and Buca has extensive menu options. HOWEVER, the portion sizes of the pasta dishes were too small to match the price. This really deters me from coming back in the future for "dining." I would have to tell my friends to either eat BEFORE going or eat AFTER going. Real disappointment there.Special Features:
- Italian gem on King StreetLeChatDined on 8/30/2014Had a fabulous dinner here. Very inventive cuisine- top quality, as was the presentation. This is NOT your typical Italian restaurant. Pricey for probably a lot of folks, but this is a true foodie place. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee.Special Features:
- Somehow dissapointedlovegoodfoodDined on 8/29/2014Good food but they don't put much of it on the plate...I ordered a ravioli main course, and got 6 of them in the plate...for around $30??? Overpriced...and left hungry...
- Has potential but needs improvementLovetryingnewplacesDined on 8/28/2014Host was unfriendly and certainly not inviting.Did not even crack a smile when we walked in. Otherwise has nice ambiance and waiters were very pleasant. Fabulous spot and nice patio. The appetizers were very skimpy and I felt insulted by the 2 slices of cappicchollo(however u spell it) and the quarter of a pickle and half a grape they served as a condiment to the meats. Veal was delicious bit pasta 1st item on the menu I did not like with cinommon -was not my thing and by the way I love all pasta. If I go back I would order pizza and some cheeses as everything is extremely overpriced and not worth it They charge you for bread as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014The service and the host was amazing, very comfortable environment.Special Features:
- Great lunch as usualCrowDined on 8/27/2014Our server was very attentive and each food was plated beautifully. The only down side was the duck egg pasta. It was such a small portion for a main dish. But I will definitely dine again.Special Features:
- Living up to its reputationthekid307Dined on 8/26/2014Came here on my birthday after Joanne Kates rated it #1 in Toronto. It didn't disappoint. Lovely ambience with a patio in an alleyway and classical music. You can't tell hear any car traffic from King or Adelaide. Appetizers were creative, the mains held up, and the Franjelico cake was divine. Some notes. The inside can get a bit noisy but we were on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.