604 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5V 1M6Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buca.ca/
- Phone: (416) 865-1600
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m.
Sunday - Wednesday 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m.
Thursday - Saturday 5:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Rob Gentile
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Chris Loizou (416) 865-1600x
A word from Buca
Buca Osteria & Enoteca brings Italy to Toronto’s dining hotbed on King Street. Executive Chef Rob Gentile has been internationally celebrated for his locally sourced, constantly changing menu. Guests are drawn to return time and again for the warm hospitality and artisanal fare, including famed house-cured meats, pizza, and pasta, inspired by the classic traditions of Italy with a contemporary culinary touch. An open curing room is on view, and beyond the Enoteca, a smaller wine bar, offers the perfect space for intimate gatherings. Tucked at the end of a private brick walkway, guests can choose to dine under the soaring ceilings of the restaurant’s industrial chic dining room or al fresco on the sleek outdoor patio. Consistently rated one of Canada’s best restaurants by critics since its opening, Buca is a modern classic built on the perfect balance of old world and new.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
Buca reviews from OpenTable diners
184 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (133)special occasion (97)notable wine list (90)hot spot (74)romantic (63)neighborhood gem (54)good for groups (41)great for outdoor dining (27)great for lunch (24)late-night find (20)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Really exceptional food.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/17/2014i first went to Buca not long after it opened and found it packed and noisy, It was also rather meat opriented. But on returning for lunch this week, it was quieter and the food was outstanding. A pizza with wild mushrooms and gorgonzola made a toothsome app and what followed was equally good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!GuitouDined on 11/16/2014The food was absolutely amazing! the best restaurant we went with my wife for years! We will return to Toronto, just to come eat in your restaurant! Thank you for the excellent service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- PoppyDined on 11/15/2014We had a wonderful Saturday night dinner at Buca. For three of our party of four, this was the first Buca experience. We all had a terrific evening. The food highlight was the shared charcuterie appetizer. We all had a little taste of everything, which was so very tasty! The beet appetizer was okay, but surprisingly, the beets themselves were the downfall. They were just not very flavourful. There were so many interesting mains to choose from. We played it safe - by that I mean we avoided anything with offal. Three of us enjoyed our mains - two pastas and a fish. The fourth dish, the veal, was not very well described by our server, so what arrived at the table was not what was expected. The veal was VERY RARE. Our two shared desserts - a zuccotto and a pear dish - were okay, somewhat ho hum. We all loved, loved, loved the nodini, so much so that we were eying the table next to us, wondering if we could grab a couple of the nodini left untouched by our neighbours. I would definitely return to Buca. The tasting menu would be fun to try. And we almost left our seats to follow the suckling pig heading to another table ( saw this after we had ordered, otherwise we might have chosen differently). And you can't beat the space. So beautiful! Enjoy your meal at Buca. But reserve well in advance. This is a popular spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharlieDined on 11/15/2014Wonderful! The food was imaginative. And the server was most attentive without being intrusiveSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor service.DM17Dined on 11/15/2014Management were very welcoming when we walked in and both the atmosphere and food were great. We were very disapointed in our server who was not attentive as the evening proceeded and we had to fill our own wine glasses. Not impressive for a restaurant of that caliber.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- VERY GOOD ITALIAN FOODcusinehunterDined on 11/14/2014VERY WELL PREPARED AND GOOD MENU SERVICE GOOD VERY NOISYSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gem...KkeatsDined on 11/12/2014We're from Philadelphia, but every time we're in Toronto we are sure to make reservations at Buca! The food is outstanding! We love that the menu is filled with unique flavors that we've never had before. Also, the wine list is extensive and the cocktails are amazing. Service is excellent- the waiters are great at helping you navigate the menus if you don't speak Italian. All around, a very fun, unique place to dine! Would definitely recommend giving it a try!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2014The food was very tasty, portions were quite small but it's that kind of restaurant, the focus is flavour and unusual combinations etc. service was excellent, I would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Incredible MealAristotleDined on 11/9/2014Our server was very helpful in making selections. And what a selection we had! My husband, son and I consider ourselves serious cooks, and we were overwhelmed by the quality and unusual selection. This is not your average Italian eatery. We had shared our meal of two salads, ravioli, suckling pig and green beans. Be prepared for the unexpected. There was nothing left on any of of the platesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dining experience for food loversOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/8/2014Buca was a great dining experience. The emphasis was definitely on the taste and presentation of the food. Everything was delicious. Service was great. Staff was very helpful with decoding the menu. Definitely looking forward to a repeat. performance.Special Features:
- Can't see anything.RetiredChefDined on 11/7/2014Yes, that's right, Buca will deprive you of one of your five senses, that's 20% of your sensorial enjoyment of its otherwise good food. I thought it was me, getting old perhaps, but then I looked around and everyone was pulling out their cell phone flash lights to read the menu and to see what was being served. Seems it's not a unique complaint, as I spoke to many people who have gone and who agree that the little things like this can easily ruin your dining experience. The service staff had no candles to offer, they laugh it off in fact. Management needs to take note that this is a major irritant and quite contrary to my understanding of what hospitality is. It wish I could remember the food, not this incident.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome LunchPjrichardsoVIPDined on 11/7/2014An amazing venue! Unique items with great tastes. Loved everything I ordered. Very different ideas on classic items. Would suggest to anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Contemporary ItalianFEtzandfriendDined on 11/6/2014The walk down the cobbles tone path, down the stairs amidst brick, wood, - perfect Italian ambiance., Except - very vibrant - hip scene. Service was impeccable - I love it when the wait staff is willing to recommend their favorites, be it wine or food. and that perfect combination of attentive but not so attentive that you feel like they've mistaken you for someone so rich you feel like a poser. food was delicious of course. We did the 6 course - 'you bring it - we eat it' which felt so adventurous and 'easy' - we didn't even have to decide on what to choose. thank youSpecial Features:
- Great ServicegimmesomedimsumDined on 10/31/2014We booked a table last minute (4:45 I called for 5:30) head over after work, great staff, friendly and very knowledgeable about their menu. we got a three type Cheese plae with their daily compotes...pear, cranberry and fig...followed but lamb and pasta....great food all around. enjoyed every last bit of it! Thanks Buca!Special Features:
- Too much pork and noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/29/2014The food is well prepared and imaginative. There is so much pork and offal that in the end for those of us who prefer lower fat and/or vegetarian options, there is little to choose from. The acoustics in the dining room are terrible.
- wine listyyatbucaDined on 10/28/2014the wine list should have a wider choice of affordable and superior wine. Also suggest to have non-alcoholic drink for non-wine drinker.Special Features:
- JeanieMontrealjeaniemontrealDined on 10/26/2014Buca is a go to for me when I am in Toronto. The food is carefully prepared with quality ingredients. Service comes with fantastic narratives.Special Features:
- Never dissapointsNix77Dined on 10/24/2014This in my 3rd time at Buca, and it exceeds my expectations every single time. I am in love with the pizza. Cannot wait for another special occasion so I have an excuse to go back.Special Features:
- UnevenAlexDined on 10/24/2014This was my first time at Buca. The service was very friendly and accommodating, but the quality of food was uneven. The menu is eclectic and has many ethnic dishes not found in most restaurants in Toronto. I didn't like pig's ears even though I like chewing cartilage. The ears had very little flavor. Brains wrapped in cheese would have been divine if there was more brains, less cheese, and if the cheese were not so salty. The beet salad was excellent, but lacked any salt. Yet when it came to the ravioli, they were the best I've ever had. I don't drink or eat desserts, so I can't comment on those. The cost was quite moderate -- about $140 for a dinner for 2 with 2 glasses of wine.Special Features:
- OverratedMaisyDined on 10/23/2014The tasting menu just wasn't sublime. The wine pairings didn't really go with the food in any way. Can't really point to anything wrong, it just wasn't great in any way.Special Features:
- FantasticJamesDined on 10/20/2014There was a notable Food Network celebrity chef dining next to us. It's that kind of place.Special Features:
- Business LunchingSalesRepDined on 10/17/2014Great spot for a business lunch. Plates are shareable, but not messy. We always go for the pigs' ears, bread knots, and the dumplings as appies. The only complaint is that the pizzas are so good that I keep forgetting to branch out to other items on the menu.Special Features:
- Buca Dtwn&Buca YorkvilleGoodeatzDined on 10/16/2014Tried both locations preferred buca on king much more relaxed. To much fabulousness at buca Yorkville ( to much staff standing around yet food arrived before wine annoying at that level of restaurant )Special Features:
- Great lunch at Buca yet againSeanSDined on 10/14/2014I have enjoyed lunch at Buca a number of times over the past few years and I have never been disappointed. Great food, great service, I am hard pressed to say what I would improve upon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night indeedYammerDined on 10/11/2014Celebrated a birthday dinner. Food, drinks, service & ambiance were all exceptional. Definitely will recommend and return to try the tasters menu soon. 👍👍Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pasta was just okcraigarVIPDined on 10/9/2014The pizzas looked fantastic, but I didn’t order that. Service was great.
- Spectacular Dinner at BucaFoodDivaLiciousDined on 10/4/2014Foodies and lovers of good food and wine, this is the place! We enjoyed a spectacular dinner recently at Buca on King St. W. Our server was an excellent guide as we considered the menu, with both exotic (ie: crisp pigs ears) to traditional dishes you'd expect to see on an Italian menu. We weren't adventuresome to try anything exotic, but our dinner was truly exceptional. We shared a delicious salad, enjoyed a pasta dish that was inventive and incredible, and savored a phenomenal veal dish. The wine recommended by the server was delicious and perfect across all courses. The service was unhurried. We had arrived with high expectations, given Buca's reputation. We weren't disappointed. We loved the entire experience. Really, really good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian at its bestOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 10/2/2014Amazingly delicious. Great service and beautiful interior. We’ll be back without a doubt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- qualityseekerVIPDined on 10/2/2014food is very inventive and well prepared. Our server helped us through the menu and provided excellent suggestions. However, it all adds up to a pretty pricey night out.Special Features:
- The best in TODonSVIPDined on 10/1/2014What a fantastic restaurant, my son had the Prix Fix more meat menu and I had the Vegetarian. A server came to our table to tell us about it. The food was wonderful. Can't wait to go to the new Buca.Special Features:
- Spectacular dining experience.tastetreatsDined on 9/28/2014From the greeting at the door to the send off everything was perfect. The staff were kind, knowledgeable and engaged in conversation without getting in the way of our dining experience. We had the tasting menu with wine pairings and what a memorable experience that was! Every course and the extras treats were just right. They also accommodated a food allergy very graciously making substitutions in that they even called ahead of our reservation to discuss the allergy and let us know how they would approach this. I would absolutely recommend to friends. A night to remember. One of the best dinners I have every had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buca or Grotto?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We ate in the 'wine cave' and it was suited to cave living - it was freezing cold!! Had I known we would have been seated in that area, I would have brought my sabre tooth fur to keep me warm. Despite a cold experience, the food was delicious and the service impeccable. I would return but would request to be seated in the front of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014meaty pizza was not the greateast - tirimasu was amazing - small dishes for what you are paying. pizza is the way to go to get bank for your buck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated bucaGiselleDined on 9/24/2014Expensive wine!$38 for a 5 oz Brunello dI montalcuno. Pasta nothing special, service and decor great , too much rock salt on everything, stuffed olives were deep fried and deep fry was not mentioned on the menu. Disappointed given that joanne Kates rated it first of the 100 best
- Always spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014My only complaint is that I always eat too much! Menu is always fresh, with the favourites always represented. Best Nodini ever!Special Features:
- Buca is for Italian Foodieskitchenterror60Dined on 9/21/2014Very interesting and unusual menu i.e. nose to tail items. I really liked the home made cured meats. A bit overpriced for what you get but the quality of the food was very good. They could do a better job on their Puttanesca. I would definitely go back for more sampling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, Great foodJane0690Dined on 9/17/2014Service here was absolutely amazing. Staff was really friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were having a great experience. Really reasonable prices here as well and the food was amazing especially the almond flourless cake we got for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ServiceDickDined on 9/17/2014Friendly, attentive service. Interesting room with dishes that have a fascinating twist on flavors.Special Features:
- Amazing...but expensive winejcanuckDined on 9/16/2014Buca continues to produce fantastic food with great service and atmosphere. The cured meats and bread knots are must-have staples there, and my wife's Branzino was cooked to perfection. Portion size is nice and small, which I like...lots of flavour, but you don't have to roll out of the restaurant after dinner. My only complaint is the wine list. Not the wines (I love Italian wine), not the sommelier (he picked out a gem for us), but the pricing. There are not nearly enough bottles under $100, and very few in the $60 to $80 sweet spot (for non-expense account diners). The markup is just too high. From the wines I recognized, it seemed to be ~300%, even for wines retailing for $80. That kind of markup is just too much IMO.Special Features:
- A little Tuscany in TOOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Nicely done. Only issue the portions are small for the prices charged - wouldn't fly in ItalySpecial Features: