Buca di Beppo - San Francisco
855 Howard St.
San Francisco, CA 94103Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Buca di Beppo - San Francisco
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bucadibeppo.com/
- Phone: 4155437673x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Abel Cuevas
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our full menu is available for Buca To Go and Delivery. If you're hosting a special occasion or group event at your home, office or a local area reception hall, Buca To Go or Buca Delivery is the perfect choice. Our friendly & professional staff will assist you with your order, arrange a specific pick-up time for Buca To Go or deliver your order ($25 delivery fee applies to deliveries). Plates, napkins, eating & serving utensils and condiments are included. No minimum purchase required. Please allow 3 hours for same-day delivery and call for questions/details about our delivery service area.
- Special Events: Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion, planning a business dinner or having a night out with family and friends, Buca di Beppo is your answer to one fabulous group dining experience! Buca serves authentic Italian family-style meals in an eclectic, vintage setting. Our knowledgeable staff will help organize and plan your group event or meetings with diverse lunch or dinner banquet packages - ideal for groups of 20 or more. Private and semi-private rooms are available.
A word from Buca di Beppo - San Francisco
Buca di Beppo serves authentic Italian cuisine in an eclectic, vintage setting. Our dishes are served family-style, meant to be shared by everyone at the table. Two sizes are available: BUCA SMALL feeds two or more and BUCA LARGE feeds four or more. At Buca, guests delight in our lively atmosphere, enjoy the classic tunes of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin and admire our decor, including family photos and candid shots of Italian-American icons, such as Sophia Loren and Joe DiMaggio. Our energetic atmosphere, delicious food and friendly staff make Buca di Beppo the perfect place for great Italian food and fun.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Buca di Beppo - San Francisco - Best Restaurants in SOMA ›
Buca di Beppo - San Francisco reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (89)kid-friendly (54)special occasion (44)great for lunch (16)fit for foodies (13)neighborhood gem (9)vibrant bar scene (5)hot spot (4)romantic (3)great for brunch (3)notable wine list (2)scenic view (2)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Musty smell and dirty feelDine4funDined on 8/22/2014Waitress and waiters were sweating and wiping off their sweat in front customers. Didn't get the food ordered right and was charged for a drink that was ordered. The resturant was not comfortable from the seat to the feel of a cramped hole. The food took way to long to arrive 30-40mins. Waitress checked in only twice really quickly. Check took 20mins and another 10 to get food box. Took the food to feed the homeless. Food was not good at all and had a lot left over. I had invited my cousin who is busting from another country. First time in the US and thought thus would have been an impressing resturant. In the ended embarrassed and mortified. We all left hungry. My party would have been better off at pasta pomadoro. Highly don't recommend.Special Features:
- Great find for Italian foodkenmin5VIPDined on 8/21/2014Great food for the prices with the portions being very adequate as posted for two or four people. Although the room we were in was a bit noisy it was fine for a quick dinnerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & great for kids & groupsMBoogieDined on 8/19/2014Met up here with family member in town for work. We have been before and it's great with kids b/c it's typically a loud place, the food is good and everyone always seems to be having a good time (could be the big bottles of wine)Special Features:
- Great lunchwillBbackDined on 8/18/2014We had great lunch here. Foods are delicious, friendly service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Happy group of 9Granof6Dined on 8/16/2014We were glad we had a reservation because Buca was packed. Five of the nine had never been to a Buca before and they were impressed. The salads were very fresh and we enjoyed every dish except the stuffed shells--they weren't very "stuffed". Our favorites were the chicken marsala and the huge meatballs. Our servers did a nice job and we appreciated the group photo they took.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ideal for family foodies in SF.cyn88Dined on 8/16/2014Huge Portions.Served Family Style. Loud Room No Matter Where Your Table Is. Alot Of Staff On Hand...Poorly Trained.Food Is American Flavored.Special Features:
- FoodItalFoodieDined on 8/16/2014I haven't been to Buca di Beppo for a few years. The menu has changed and though most of the food was good the Penne Arrabiate were not very good though the manager offered us something else and we ordered raviolis which were wonderful. The canoli for dessert were not good at all. This was a favorite of ours and they had barely any filling and the filling tasted more like marscapone then ricotta. Over all though we enjoyed the food and the atmosphere is always very pleasant and service is great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible ExperienceLateNightDinerVIPDined on 8/8/2014The quality of service is terrible. Strongly recommend against visiting this restaurant.
- Not great at lunchtimeSFdinerVIPDined on 8/8/2014I remember this place being a lot of fun for groups, especially when drinks are flowing. But for just 3 of us at lunch, it was disappointing. There was no one at the front desk for several minutes when I arrived. I waited for 10 minutes my guests to arrive , only to find out that they had already checked in and been seated and were waiting for me. The food was very mediocre, the service was slow despite it being almost empty. I hope they find a way to re-energize this place because it could still be fun for a group, but I won't go back again for lunch.Special Features:
- Good food, really!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/2/2014I had several years not going to Buca, we went there on Saturday eve and we ordered four different plates, food was so good!!!Special Features:
- Excellent service and great foodfkwokDined on 7/26/2014My wife, daughter and I ate here on 7/26, the night before I as running the SF Marathon again, and the service was great and the food was very good. We had an early reservation and this helped with the quick service as they got busier as the night progressed with lots of hungry marathoners eating there. We would definitely go back if I decide to run SF again.Special Features:
- Lots of Food, Family StyleStampwifeDined on 7/25/2014My husband and I made a reservation after arriving quite hungry for a meeting at the Moscone Center. This restaurant is right across the street. It is a great place for large groups to share courses. There was more than enough food for the 2 of us ordering "small." Service was prompt and attentive. The apple walnut salad was very good. The spaghetti of the signature dish "spaghetti with meatballs" was overcooked. My husband sent it back - 2nd time still overcooked - but the meatballs were large and quite good. We were too full for dessert but I have a feeling if we just ate dessert the food rating above would be higher -the brownie sundae looked fantastic! Never order pasta in a large Italian restaurant and expect "al dente."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but can be priceyDotsgirlVIPDined on 7/14/2014When we arrived we thought oh no this isn't going to be good. There was no one in the place. Still we went with it because of good reviews and was led downstairs which revealed a vibrant scene. We had a great waiter and the food was good but $29 for 3 pieces of chicken parm and $10 for a bowl spaghetti seems a lot. Still a good find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Satisfying MealkgrayDined on 7/6/2014I recommend this place for families. This is not a place to eat alone. They serve hearty and tasty Italian foods. Order the cheesy garlic bread to accompany any entree. The desserts are also worth trying, but be ready to share because they are huge. The service is attentive and friendly. The location is downtown San Francisco, so central to lots of shopping. Parking is limited, so be prepared to pay to park in a lot. The noise level is quiet early in the day, but later in the evening it gets very loud. Almost too loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- local favoritelou1234Dined on 7/4/2014good food, good location, great service, highly recommendedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good size portion of foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/3/2014Food was good; we ordered the chicken marsala and frutti de mare and there was no left. I wish that they have angel hair pasta but it's not a deal breaker. Good for large group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Funfun2eatDined on 6/28/2014Had a great time as usual, food terrific as always and the service was pretty good. The one downfall was the noise in the small room when a large party came in. Couldn't hear our own conversation. But we'll be back, just the chance you take.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ServiceAwesomeDined on 6/22/2014We went to celebrate my daughter's birthday. The servers were very personable which made our dining experience so much more enjoyable. She took the time to make sure all of our needs were met and we had a great time. He food was good also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Server4pickdinersDined on 6/20/2014Been here before and was greatly disappointed by the food and crappy service. Had to be here due to another event at restaurant and was no looking forward to it. However, Jennifer changed most of it. The food is not special but her great patience, knowledge of products and enthusiasm made the experience much more bearable. Food still needs some work in terms of differentiating it from other similar type establishments.
- jimnicfurDined on 6/20/2014Historically speaking the décor was filled with history. However, food nothing to brag about. The salmon dish I had for lunch was hard around the edges and dry. The vegetables were good though.Special Features:
- Consistency CountsJohnKVIPDined on 6/16/2014Buca is always a consistently good pick for high quality Italian food at reasonable prices. The family style is perfect for all groups with portions adequate for any hunger level. Don't forget to leave room for some Tiramisu.Special Features:
- $$$familyDined on 6/15/2014I have eaten there before, but prices have gone up way to high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and foodilike2ndsDined on 6/15/2014Since walking into the restaurant I had made reservations for 16 my party was seated right away. Our waiter was respectful punctual and great food was amazing each family order a large entrée which we were all able to share from each others entrée due to the sizeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun Place to eatGoodtimesDined on 6/13/2014The food was great and the service was the best. They have created a fun place to go with friends and family. I would definitely go back and enjoy the good food and service. Make sure to bring your wallet if you plan on drinking pretty priceySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time as usualNomad627Dined on 6/7/2014This was the second time I took a friends from my martial arts school and was not disappointed. Reservations were a breeze and they called to verify the reservation.Food was good as usual and we tried a few new one's. Gratuity system has been changed. They now, do not automatically add for large parties and you now tip accordingly to the service you receive. From the time we entered to the time we left, we felt appreciated that we came. Had a great time and will be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So fun! Great vibe & atmosphere!JLloDined on 6/7/2014I took my daughter and five of her friends (all 7th graders) here after spending a fun day in the city at Pier 39, riding RocketBoats, walking on Golden Gate bridge, etc..... Perfect way to end the day with a fun dinner since everyone was so hungry. We had large margherita pizza, large caesar salad, small spaghetti w/ meat balls and small fettuccine Alfredo w/ chicken. Everything was delicious! We even had some spaghetti and fettuccine left over. The atmosphere was really lively and fun! Would highly recommend for groups for birthdays, end of year celebrations, anniversaries, etc. Our waiter was great too. The manager came by also to make sure all was good. And it was!Special Features:
- Loved it!shessDined on 6/6/2014My daughter took 15 of her friends here for her 18th birthday. They had a blast! Ordered 2 large Caesar Salads, large Baked Rigatone, large Baked Ziti, large Spaghetti with Marinara Sauce and large Shrimp Florentine. All were excellent, and for dessert they had 2 Colossal Brownie Sundaes. Perfect amount of food for 16 with a little left over. Service was great, fun time for all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was mediocre & expensivetooexpensiveDined on 6/1/2014Way too pricey for the quality. If I want to pay 30 bucks a person I would much rather have quality Italian Fare from one of San Francisco's many great Italian restaurants in North Beach.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/30/2014I had the spagetti and meatball. The meatball didn't have much taste. I had to keep adding a bit of salt and pepper. The meatballs were a tad soft. My wife didn't care for the Lagana for as it had to much recotta cheese.Special Features:
- Graduation DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/29/2014The food was good although I expected something more spectacular. We were early for our reservation so we checked in at the front desk, then waited at the bar and had drinks. It was past our reservation time and no one had come to get us so I went to get in again at the front desk. The girl at the front desk didn't seem all that friendly and a tad rude. All and all we had a good time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gia is awesomeAsyaDined on 5/25/2014We loved the food and service. Gia was our server and she did great. Had fun. Thank you, Gia, for being such an amazing server!!!👍👍👍💋Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Celebrate!bigintalianfamilyDined on 5/24/2014Buca Di Beppo has become one of my family's favorite places to celebrate a special occasion! The staff, food and atmosphere make your time there fun and memorable. Chantel helped me set up my daughter's graduation night dinner and Cole was an outstanding waiter! We will be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Graduation CelebrationElsyDined on 5/24/2014We had a great time this past Saturday. My son graduated from SF State and we took our family and friends there to celebrate. The waitress was excellent, very attentive and all our food came out on time and as expected. The family style worked out perfectly and everyone was thrilled with their meal. Being an Italian family, it suited our group perfectly. Parking was close by and it worked out great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FREEZING!FreezingDined on 5/24/2014We had a group of 8 that we made a online reservation for. We were seated promptly, in the basement! We had just come from an outdoor college commencement, and were chilled to the bone, and then we get to the restaurant, and they seat us in a room that was as cold as it was outside! We asked repeatedly to move, or have the heat turned on, as the A/C was blowing when we got there. No one did anything to accommodate our request to be moved. It was 4pm, and the restaurant was not full. We ate still freezing, and all the waiter could say was "Once more people get here it'll warm up" and then had the nerve to say "I'm not cold!". Very disappointing and I doubt we will be back, which is a shame as it was our "go to" place in the city.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/23/2014Great dinner!! Waiters were excellent. Food was excellent!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bucca Di Beppo Great Food/EnergyBingtasticDined on 5/22/2014Parking? Wow! If you find parking you've won the lottery. The best bet is go to Mission Lot between 4th and 5th. Want Italian food with a huge gathering atmosphere? Great authentic Italian food?!?! Large Portions?!?! 3 Stories of Restaurant to sit down in?! Everyone enjoying themselves and forgetting the rest of the world?! This place is a perfect place for a gathering of large groups and expect it to be lively! No band but the place is jumping!Special Features:
- slow service, bad attitudeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/21/2014Went there for lunch at noon on Wed, got seated immediately, restaurant was not full at all. Ordered appetizer and then ordered entrees off the lunch menu when the waitress came back. Appetizers came out, but there was a long gap to get our meals. Asked several times about the entrees, told it was on its way, once waitress said it was "being plated", but still waited awhile. Probably took almost an hour to get our entrees. Ate quickly and asked for the check. Took the check to the waitress because by then we'd been there 90 minutes, I mentioned the slow service and she said I should've told in the beginning we were in a rush and that was their normal serving pace. I was surprised by her attitude, she acted like it was my fault!
- good environment but average foodleatherneckDined on 5/19/2014We ordered salmon and broccoli. The salmon was so-so. The broccoli was not fully cooked and tasted blant. I could have done a better job using my I-cook pan and olive oil. The waiter has to be reminded to bring bread and butter, which they charge on my bill as well. I would not go back to this place.Special Features:
- awesome birthday!bizlunchDined on 5/18/2014Great food, friendly waiter, fun celebratory atmosphere. All the food was very flavorful and the giant dessert topped it off. Highly recommend for groups of friends and families!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My first time and lastnotthatgoodDined on 5/18/2014My first time and last. I had better Italian food and the food is quite pricey. $24 for large Caesar salad which only has iceberg lettuce and 10-15 pieces croutons some cheese and can't really taste the dressing. I am not sure if that's how Caesar salad is supposed to be. Quite disappointing for the price. The spaghetti meatball is not too tasty either. The waitress is very friendly.