Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto
643 Emerson Street
Palo Alto, CA 94301Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bucadibeppo.com/
- Phone: 6503290665x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11:00am - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 11:00am - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Comfort Food
- Executive Chef: Eric Keyes
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Our full menu is available for Buca To Go and Delivery. If you're hosting a special occasion or group event at your home, office or a local area reception hall, Buca To Go or Buca Delivery is the perfect choice. Our friendly & professional staff will assist you with your order, arrange a specific pick-up time for Buca To Go or deliver your order ($25 delivery fee applies to deliveries). Plates, napkins, eating & serving utensils and condiments are included. No minimum purchase required. Please allow 3 hours for same-day delivery and call for questions/details about our delivery service area
- Special Events: Whether you’re celebrating a special occasion, planning a business dinner or having a night out with family and friends, Buca di Beppo is your answer to one fabulous group dining experience! Buca serves authentic Italian family-style meals in an eclectic, vintage setting. Our knowledgeable staff will help organize and plan your group event or meetings with diverse lunch or dinner banquet packages - ideal for groups of 20 or more. Private and semi-private rooms are available.
A word from Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto
Buca di Beppo serves authentic Italian cuisine in an eclectic, vintage setting. Our dishes are served family-style, meant to be shared by everyone at the table. Two sizes are available: BUCA SMALL feeds two or more and BUCA LARGE feeds four or more. At Buca, guests delight in our lively atmosphere, enjoy the classic tunes of Frank Sinatra and Dean Martin and admire our decor, including family photos and candid shots of Italian-American icons, such as Sophia Loren and Joe DiMaggio. Our energetic atmosphere, delicious food and friendly staff make Buca di Beppo the perfect place for great Italian food and fun.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto - Best Restaurants in Palo Alto ›
Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.5Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (51)kid-friendly (40)special occasion (24)great for lunch (19)fit for foodies (16)neighborhood gem (16)romantic (8)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)hot spot (5)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Tight Seating arrangementG6ReturnDined on 10/12/2014The booth was very tight for party of six and breads were cold, dried and hard. I am not sure I will go back to this place again.
- Another BAD experience @ PA StoreSpSsVIPDined on 10/12/2014Just don't understand why this store struggles with service. Went in for lunch time on sunday and everything took very long. They were not that busy, but 30+ minutes between salad and Main Course and 20 minutes to get 1 desert. They apparently overhauled the management team, but now the old managers are servers and service is worse than ever,. It's a shame as we like going to Buca, but with service like this, we will pass until they get things sorted out.
- Quality FoodItalianVIPDined on 10/11/2014This is a place for good Quality Italian Food. We like to get Rigatoni with Marinara with a nice salad. They also have very food lasagne, meat balls, soup and desserts.Special Features:
- Great placeetboat2bDined on 10/9/2014Loved the food, ambiance, service and general good vibe. We'll be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmadaVIPDined on 10/6/2014Great place for groups. Large portions! The chicken masala was delish! Wonderful service and nice wait staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- enjoyed Buca di BepporosajeanDined on 10/5/2014only two of us had dinner there, which was a mistake as even small plates will easily feed four. It was reather strange entering past the kitchen. however,t hankfully we got a table near the wall so the noise from adjacent room was not overwhelming. The food was good, but not outstanding. As my dining partner, was a college student, he took the exgtras home to eat the next day. Next time I would definitely take more than several.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For the hungry not for the epicurejohnandpopDined on 10/4/2014The menu is an original. Almost all of the dishes are prepared for either 2 diners or 4. My wife and I shared one salad and one chicken entrée and had more than enough food. Neither of the two dishes knocked our socks off, but they satisfied our hunger pangs. Based on the girth of many of the patrons, its clientele goes there to fill up and they are satisfied. The serving staff are very friendly and accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 10/3/2014Lunch at Buca di Beppo was enjoyable, as the food and service were both good. Once diners get past the unsightly entrance through the kitchen, the ambiance improves in festive dining rooms. My Mother enjoyed pasta and meat sauce while I had a tasty minestrone soup and house salad. Prices are reasonable and the food is dependable, making Buca a good choice for lunch or dinner when in downtown Palo Alto.Special Features:
- Very good food, but...MarkRVIPDined on 9/28/2014We experienced a number of deficiencies during our meal. First off, they tried to seat us at a table that was so small, we couldn't get into our seats without disturbing the people next to us. Then, we were seated next to a very loud party. During our meal, we never received any bread plates or butter. Finally, we asked for some oregano and were given such a tiny amount, we had to ask again. The food was very tasty though!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MeFoodieDined on 9/21/2014I went here for dinner and ordered fettuccini Alfredo with Italian sausages. While the sausages were fine, I can't say the same for the pasta. Although the portion was very large some of the noodles were undercooked and the cream sauce was pasty. However, the server was excellent, as she replaced the fettuccini with a different type of pasta called baked ziti that I thought was quite good.Special Features:
- my reviewxyz123Dined on 9/19/2014Restaurant was very loud and food was mediocre. Walking through the kitchen (greasy floor is an accident waiting to happen) to be seated was strange. They didn’t walk us far we sat right next to the kitchen in cramped corner.Special Features:
- Decent food, food service was so-soIggyDined on 9/14/2014It took a long time for the food to come. Other tables got served their food before we did even though we were seated earlier. One order also got missed so we cancelled that one. Salad was somewhat wilted already by the time the food came.Special Features:
- Very small and too loudunhappygrandmaDined on 9/13/2014This is not one of the better Buco di Beppo restaurants. You enter through the kitchen and wait in a small area to be seated while they try to move the food around you. Receptionist is rude, most tables upstairs where service is slow and noise level very loud. Great for kids as you can not hear them over the adults! Will not go back to this restaurant.Special Features:
- Luv this place!lewwDined on 9/12/2014There's always someone celebrating something - so the mood's good. The portions are generous and the food's tasty.Special Features:
- AlisaAvatar1Dined on 9/7/2014It was just OK,to noise ! Menu on web. Was not the same in restorant
- epitomy of middle of the roadLeeEatsHereDined on 9/4/2014Not bad, not great. Just your typical italian fare. Normally, I don't go to places where I could just as easily make it at home myself. But if you have a large group or from out of town or your kitchen is being remodeled, this is my go-to for Italian food just like we make at home. For that, I recommend Buca di Beppo highly. It's not exotic and it's not where you go to try something new. It's home style through and through.Special Features:
- DisapointedTeresaDined on 8/29/2014We went for an adult birthday celebration and they put us in a small claustrophobic room with 3 huge parties for children, there were 11 young children at the table next to ours and few adults. The other tables(4) were full too. My husband tipped the waiters so service was really good, prompt and polite. The noise level was truly horrible. The food was hot, and tasty but not exceptional. (meatballs,manacotti were good) Would be a great venue for folks that like a loud busy meal. On top of this they piped in awful music. If you are looking for romance, a pleasant place where you can chat to friends this is NOT your restaurant. Staff were welcoming and friendly. I won't be back.Special Features:
- Declining services and qualitymesashoppingDined on 8/23/2014We have been going to Buca for many years now, always for celebrating special occasion and large groups. For the past 2 times, they refused to sit us earlier than our reservation time even though the restaurant was empty and our table was empty. The waitress was very friendly but not much substance. For example, reservation for 10 got only 7 people's utensils. So we needed to ask 3-4 times while letting the food get cold. Same for getting new plates between appetizer and main course. I think we won't be coming back anymore. The baked ziti was dry. Fettuccini Alfredo was too rich. Garlic bread was dry. Salad was soaked in dressing. Well anyway won't be back.Special Features:
- AWESOME!!mizderiDined on 8/22/2014Despite the fact that we were an extremely large group, we're all college kids, and we're pretty obnoxiously loud, Buca di Beppo was able to seat us right on time, even though we were missing 4 out of our group (stuck in traffic). The food was AWESOME (as it always is), the portions were PERFECT, and we were able to surprise our birthday girl. Super awesome and would love to come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too long of a a waitJRGomezVIPDined on 8/16/2014Even having a reservation the wait time was more than 40 minutes... excuses like I have all the staff cleaning tables and people is just leaving when tables were available make no sense The food is good (portions are huge, a small pasta or salad is enough for 2 people with decent appetite) The waiter was very good, friendly and constantly checking if we needed something else I may buy food to go but doubt I'll be back to at there
- I like BucaOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/16/2014I reminds me of East Coast family style Italian restaurants. Go!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2014Food tastes great. Portions are huge: good thing if you like to share with your friends, not convenient when everyone likes different dishes. Service could be improved: we had to wait a long, really long, time for one of our dishes, the waitress came 3 times to apologize...Special Features:
- good food and good serviceleesellsDined on 8/9/2014Went with a group of 8 adults and 5 kids. Table was ready within 10 minutes of us arriving. Service was prompt but not rushed. Very accommodating to our needs and children's need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EDWARDVIPDined on 8/6/2014Lunch at Buca di Beppo was satisfying, as the food and service were good and the prices very reasonable. My party and I enjoyed the chicken pasta with Caesar salad combo as well as the house green salad. The entrance to this restaurant is a bit strange, as one must walk through the kitchen to get to the bar and dining room. Employees are friendly however, and we will return to Buca di Beppo in the future.Special Features:
- Great place to take a teamOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Took my daughters' water polo team to Buca di Beppo. The kids loved the environment and especially the food. Would have given this five stars except that we got told they were out of Lasagna after we ordered. Kinda weird for an Italian restaurant to run out of lasagna so early in the evening. Otherwise, everyone had a great time and the food is always great.Special Features:
- Always excellent service3queensDined on 8/1/2014Our server provided wonderful service. Very attentive even though he was busy, glass never was empty and food was wonderful as always.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Plentiful and tastyMarkRVIPDined on 7/28/2014We go to Buca di Beppo regularly, and it's particularly tempting to go when they offer a promotion. This time, their tasty lasagna was 50% off. On this occasion, the service wasn't so great, as our server "disappeared" after bringing our food and never returned to see if we needed anything else (which we did).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back to ItalyOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/28/2014Become part of the Buca family and enjoy. Great décor and music (a little loud) to visit Italy right here in Palo Alto. Delicious salad and lasagna to share.Special Features:
- Worst experience of anniversaryhaqueDined on 7/27/2014I dined in Buca Di Beppo 5-6 times before, every time I had great experience - as I found the food really awesome and tasty. That is one of the reasons I picked Buca Di Beppo for my anniversary dinner (July 27th). On that day we were fasting - it was a religious fasting. Our reservation was at 8 pm. We did not eat all day and we could only break my fast after sunset which was 8:25 pm. We ordered our food (2 buca small pasta orders) at 8:12 pm. We did not receive our food till 9:15 pm. We told our server several times to get our food fast as we were fasting and it was our anniversary dinner. We complained to the restaurant manager twice - they told us it was a very busy day. The food was also not of good quality and I got stomach upset.
- bad experiencefoodieDined on 7/27/2014Palo Alto's Bucca di Beppo has lost it's luster! We enjoyed the food, however we waited about an hour for it to arrive after ordering. We liked our prior Bucca di Beppo visit in San Francisco much better. I don't think we will be going to the Palo Alto location in the future. Bucca's menu used to be better. We really miss the spinach, tomato salad and the hot pepper oil for the pizza! We came for our daughter's birthday which they confirmed when we arrived but they unfortunately forgot to sing the birthday song. A very disappointing birthday dinner!Special Features:
- interestingooopsydaisyDined on 7/18/2014We been here in this particular spot but never experienced the delay. Yes it was friday and very busy. Our waitress was very pleasant although one our order broccoli with garlic never made it to the table and eventually we just cancelled it. Otherwise the food were good. Nose level was just a bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- doreenDined on 7/18/2014great time for a group, love the family style and our waitress was very helpful in choosing the right size dishes for our group.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good eats !AlohaGuyDined on 7/18/2014The food is always wonderful. Family style. The service was a bit slow and a dish was overlooked, very slow on our drinks. There was a big party going on in the same room, that may have something to do with the off service. One of the beers was served in a cracked glass, we were graciously comped with desserts. Which was very thoughtful. Overall, we had a great time and would return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buca di Beppo Palo AltoWalshGangDined on 7/17/2014I was disapointed that the waitress would not allow my wife to use her coupon fer a free appetizer since it said no other purchase necessary, I felt like they lie a bit with thier coupons that they so widely distribute to get you in the door; I used one discount coupon getting us $15 off our $100 bill. The folks at the table next to us asked the same question, and I could not help but hear them say clearly "it says right here, no other purchase necessary". The food is good but I left thinking they lie to you to get you in the door, which leaves a bad taste in my mouth. Perhaps I will go back someday; it is a bit busy so I recommend making reservations.Special Features:
- Good food, crowdedMistyBlueDined on 7/10/2014Good food, crowded, very busy wait staff. Family style servings.Special Features:
- The following 410 reviews are from the Buca di Beppo - Palo Alto reviews archive.
- Disappionting ServiceMunchieMamaDined on 6/16/2014The food, as always, is good. Not what I would call traditional, but definately good Americanized Itallian fare. Our waiter, who was also the bartender for some reason, was told several times about each table the hostess sat for him and kept being pulled away to the bar.We got pretty bad service, and for a while I considered getting up and wandering around the restaurant to find him as he wasn't at the bar OR any of his tables! At one point we asked for more water and could hear him complainging about us in the service area! I'll go back, because the family-style meal works really well for my family...but I just might go to a different location next time.Special Features:
- not goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014I have been to other Bucca restaurants and this place by far is the worst. The food was bland. Had to wait till we were almost done to get more sauce for our dry pasta. The server kept forgetting things and it was dirty both in the restaurant and the bathrooms. You would think because it is in downtown Palo alto it would be good but it is the opposite.
- Cramp. Forgetful. Uncomfortable.DisappointedDined on 6/15/2014We were seated between to large groups and had no space to walk to get out of out table. Our waiter brought out our food never came in to check I after. Drinks never refilled. Completely forgot to do anything for my sons birthday which I did mention from the very beginning. Too noisy. Brought out dessert and 5 minutes later brought out the utensils for the dessert. Hot coffee was passed over someone's should. Which was very unsafe. Overall experience was poor. And I would not dine there again.Special Features:
- Father's Day Experiencediners2Dined on 6/15/2014I made reservations for my husband and I for Father's Day Lunch. Worst experience I've had at this place. I have a feeling they were catering more to needs of large groups. We were only 2. First they tried to put us into a tiny space that hung out into a walkway. The hostess hurried away before I could ask for something else. They finally put us right up against the dishroom. Very noisy. Not exactly the Father's Day experience I was looking for. I sat next to the busy dishroom entrance so my husband didn't have to. The waitress was good, but somewhat forgetful. At least the food was good. I expect more when I dine out and drop $100 for a special occasion for the 2 of us. Disappointing.Special Features:
- Good service on a busy nightcraiseDined on 6/14/2014my friends and i picked our dinner night unaware that it was stanford graduation! but, even though it was very very crowded, buca still treated us well. we had a baby so they put us out of they way, and we were in 'catch up' mode, but even though we weren't always ready to order, our waitress was very patient and checked on us frequently. the only downside was that the garlic bread took forever to come out... i had wanted it at the same time as the salad but it came out with the entrees. very minor complaint for an otherwise great night! we ordered chicken parmagiana, penne san remo, di beppo salad, garlic bread, and tiramisu... all was delish and there were plenty of leftovers to take home (we had three people).Special Features: