604 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5V 1M6Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buca.ca/
- Phone: 4168651600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Dinner Sunday - Wednesday 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Thursday - Saturday 5:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Rob Gentile
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Chris Loizou (416) 865-1600
A word from Buca
Buca Osteria Enoteca is an Italian restaurant from the King Street Food Company (Jacobs & Co. Steakhouse and The Saint Tavern). The menu aims to combine the ingredient specificity of rustic Italian cuisine with the culinary finesse of fine dining, building recipes around fresh and seasonal produce, but using a number of classical culinary techniques as well. The beautiful and understated main dining room has soaring high ceilings, exposed raw brick, and iron beams - using the natural elements of the heritage building. Towards the back, beyond the open curing room, a smaller wine bar, the Enoteca, is sleek and private.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Buca reviews from OpenTable diners
181 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (122)special occasion (107)notable wine list (80)romantic (73)hot spot (69)great for outdoor dining (57)neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (35)late-night find (26)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (10)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (3)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Very pleasedredmeanstopDined on 8/30/2014We had a couple of delicious cocktails with the deep friend stuffed olives and beef carpaccio to begin. Followed by a perfectly cooked blood sausage spaghetti and a classic pizza. All were delicious - while the cake concoction at the end was perfectly sweet and light for dessert. Our server was attentive and sweet - knowledgable about the menu and have great suggestions and pairing ideas. Will definitely recap mind and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Problem with portion sizeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014I'm usually too lazy to write reviews and don't really care. I really want to come back to Buca in the future, hence the following review: The servers were friendly and very knowledgeable with the dishes and Buca has extensive menu options. HOWEVER, the portion sizes of the pasta dishes were too small to match the price. This really deters me from coming back in the future for "dining." I would have to tell my friends to either eat BEFORE going or eat AFTER going. Real disappointment there.Special Features:
- Italian gem on King StreetLeChatDined on 8/30/2014Had a fabulous dinner here. Very inventive cuisine- top quality, as was the presentation. This is NOT your typical Italian restaurant. Pricey for probably a lot of folks, but this is a true foodie place. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee.Special Features:
- Somehow dissapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/29/2014Good food but they don't put much of it on the plate...I ordered a ravioli main course, and got 6 of them in the plate...for around $30??? Overpriced...and left hungry...
- Has potential but needs improvementLovetryingnewplacesDined on 8/28/2014Host was unfriendly and certainly not inviting.Did not even crack a smile when we walked in. Otherwise has nice ambiance and waiters were very pleasant. Fabulous spot and nice patio. The appetizers were very skimpy and I felt insulted by the 2 slices of cappicchollo(however u spell it) and the quarter of a pickle and half a grape they served as a condiment to the meats. Veal was delicious bit pasta 1st item on the menu I did not like with cinommon -was not my thing and by the way I love all pasta. If I go back I would order pizza and some cheeses as everything is extremely overpriced and not worth it They charge you for bread as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014The service and the host was amazing, very comfortable environment.Special Features:
- Great lunch as usualCrowDined on 8/27/2014Our server was very attentive and each food was plated beautifully. The only down side was the duck egg pasta. It was such a small portion for a main dish. But I will definitely dine again.Special Features:
- Living up to its reputationthekid307Dined on 8/26/2014Came here on my birthday after Joanne Kates rated it #1 in Toronto. It didn't disappoint. Lovely ambience with a patio in an alleyway and classical music. You can't tell hear any car traffic from King or Adelaide. Appetizers were creative, the mains held up, and the Franjelico cake was divine. Some notes. The inside can get a bit noisy but we were on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJulesDined on 8/24/2014I have been here twice and the food is delicious. I find there is too many wait staff though kind of just staring at you. The food is very finessed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! That's all I've Got...franjii2VIPDined on 8/24/2014What an incredible dining experience at Buca! Rob Gentile is cooking up some of the finest food I've eaten in a long time. Thanks to all of the wait staff who treated us like we were the only guests on their packed patio. Going back for my birthday!!Special Features:
- Met our high expectations!TeresaDined on 8/23/2014We were looking for a restaurant with friends to celebrate our anniversaries as we have been doing together for 36 years. Our son loves Buca and told us to go there this year. We were not disappointed. Our server was professional, friendly and attentive as were all the staff. Appetizers were great. We had the small twist rolls, a pizza, warm olives, the gnocchi with lobster and the ricotta cheese. For mains, two of us had the branzino, one had the veal(it was prepared differently than I had ever seen before, but delicious) and I had the scallops...all excellent. For dessert it was tiramisu and a selection of cheeses.... scrumptious. I would definitely recommend Buca for anyone looking for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Bella Bucachristin1988Dined on 8/21/2014Wonderful evening at Buca! Great food and service. It was a bit noisy where I was sitting, however it was very busy which naturally creates a good atmosphere. Will definitely go again when I'm in Toronto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelectableJudeDined on 8/20/2014Found this spot online through Yelp. Had a drink to check it out and came back the next night with another couple for dinner. Great food and drinks. Would've liked a bit more light at our table but I guess that is the atmosphere they created. The noise of conversation reverberates off the brick walls and ceiling, and that also makes for a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The food was really good. Lamb's brains were amazing. Crispy outer shell of prosciutto and the center melts in your mouth. Very well thought out dishes with elements that are simple but work exceptionally well together. The service staff are very attentive but not in a disruptive manner. Thank you for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Big DisappointmentDinerFamilyof4VIPDined on 8/17/2014Our first time at Buca. An expensive and supposedly one of the best restaurants in Toronto. The food was excellent. The waitress was at best average--not at all what one would expect for the cost of the meal. We were seated in the "overflow" room which had to atmosphere at all -- yet after the dinner we realized there was space in the main room. The maitre d probably figured we weren't trendy looking enough. Too bad for them. We spend a fortune dining out. And so do our friends. Won't be spending our money at Buca. And have already deterred 3 people from going there.Special Features:
- Never dissapointsBrendanDined on 8/16/2014Had the veal tenderloin, wife had the lobster gnocchi. Both were fantastic. Highlight is always the nodini though. Tiramisu is better than it used to be as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely overrated!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014None of the signature items such as nodini, bigoli or tiramisu were impressive. We tried four different pastas and all were not prepared fresh. Taste is different and we cannot describe it as good. Also, either too dry or overly soaked in olive oil. In addition to four appetizers which again were mediocre, we also ordered a mushroom pizza to share knowing the portions are very small. The pizza did come out hot and was very good, especially compared to the appetizers and pastas. Overall disappointing. We will not be returning.
- Five Stars!!!AceofspadesDined on 8/16/2014Great ambiance, exceptionally prepared food with outstanding service! More on the pricey side but well worth it for those special occasions. Portion sizes are small, so enjoy a few courses (you will have room for desert... which also is highly recommended)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMKM1VIPDined on 8/13/2014Dinner at Buca was wonderful - excellent food, great atmosphere, and exceptional service (thanks to our server Zoey)!Special Features:
- BeautifulPickydinerDined on 8/13/2014Beautiful restaurant with friendly staff. Fine dining without attitude. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Delicious and great service.FoodieDined on 8/11/2014I accidentally made a reservation for a Tuesday night, but myself and my partner showed up on the Monday preceding the reservation. Staff went above and beyond and found us a table with 10 mins. The host even provided us with a glass of proseco as we sat at our table. That set the tone for the remainder of the evening. The service was fantastic, very knowledgeable staff, wine selection was great, quality of the food was excellent. Ambiance also very striking, overall carriers a romantic feel. Portions are small, but I found them to be appropriate. I would certainly say one of my better dinning experiences in Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spot for great foodGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 8/11/2014Hot trendy spot in Toronto! It is always difficult to get a reservation at BUCA, but when you do, it is well worth it. Food & Service is great and the restaurant is buzzling! Good wine list.Special Features:
- Loved it!luv2dineDined on 8/9/2014I took my husband here for his birthday and it honestly felt like we were back in Italy. The food and service was amazing. We will definitely go back and will recommend to others. Thanks Buca for a wonderful experience!Special Features:
- Great night!DowntowndinersDined on 8/8/2014Best customer service in the city! Food was amazing and the staff made us feel special.Special Features:
- Food Pretty Good, but service....shuvavDined on 8/7/2014I found that 75% of the dishes contained pork. I thought that was a little much. I enjoyed the pasta lobster dish. The service could use lots of improvement. I had trouble understanding the menu and the waiter didn't seem as though they wanted to help explain. They didn't ask of we wanted any water, how our meal was so far, if we wanted another alcoholic drink or if we wanted desert/coffee. It was strange it's as though we had to ask for everything.
- solidly consistentsteakloverVIPDined on 8/3/2014everything is always cooked perfectly and the way you remembered your favourite dishes....always super consistent and had one of the best servers in toronto last time !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/3/2014A romantic place in a lovely old building on King Street W. We went on a Sunday, so it was quieter than usual. The staff were charming and attentive, the wine excellent. We sat in the wine room at the back at our request, and enjoyed an outstanding meal. I lived in Toronto many years ago, and this was my first trip back in a long time. My boyfriend is from the Bay Area, and it was his first trip. We've traveled extensively together, and this was one of the most memorable meals we've ever eaten together.Special Features:
- Consistently amazedAtzy24Dined on 8/3/2014There are the staples such as the nodini, which we can never get enough of. And then there are the seasonal surprises such as zucchini pizza , which was delicious. Was are never disappointed. One additional bite of pasta would be nice as the portions are TINY.Special Features:
- Wow!Aroy0909Dined on 8/2/2014Amazing food, service is perfect also! Try the lamb's brain in the appetizers... Sooooo good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the Best Italian in the cityAmourfoodieDined on 8/2/2014We had a wonderful dining experience at this Osteria on a Saturday night after showing up an hour late due to traffic chaos caused by Caribbean Carnival. The manager was nice enough to accommodate us with a table outside. We started with some gamberi fritto which were light and crispy, very tasty & reminded us of the flavourful shrimps we had in Spain. Carpaccio Piemontese and the Scallops were very good, but the scallops were outstanding- fresh and sweet enhanced perfectly olive oil and infused with basil. Bigoli and Scialetielli with raw spot prawns were delicious and the lamb loin was also done to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious!globalindaDined on 8/1/2014I sat outside in the sunshine - what great outdoor seating you have! I had the Asaparagi (asparagus in brown butter with truffle), and the Bigoli (duck egg pasta with duck offal ragú), and both were outrageously delicious. Rich, and wonderful. I asked for something non-alcoholic, and while I enjoyed and appreciated the fresh juice, they do need to have something on hand for those that choose not to drink alcohol. Service was attentive, but my server was just trying to hard, he just needs to relax and let the guest speak. I look forward to returning on my next visit to Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting ApproachAliceGVIPDined on 7/31/2014I selected this place because the menu was very interesting. I'm from the States. Turns out it's quite the trendy spot. Set in an industrial building, it is Italian informed food but not classic Italian. The wine pours were really stingy even advertised at .5 oz or 5, by choice. The food was well made. Smaller portions. I thought what we was executed very well with very good ingredients. We didn't have pizza but it seemed quite popular. I was happy with the choice.Special Features:
- Very disappointingSkinnyfoodieDined on 7/23/2014I was really looking forward to trying Buca after hearing incredible reviews about it... Maybe it was a bad day, but didn't live up to the expectations. Had rude, unhelpful waiter. When asking how big the salad was, to determine wether I should have one or two course, he answered: "I don't know, the size of a salad I guess?" When I asked if maybe it could be enough for a light meal (lunch) he just replied, condescending: " I never consider salad to be a meal." Also recommended a 24 $ glass of wine to go with a 16$ very small gnocchi plate, without asking comfortable price point first. Yes, it's good italian food, but nothing to sweep you off your feet. Success got too big too fast, hope they readjust for their future plans!
- Great food and servicedinerdinerDined on 7/18/2014Had dinner for 2 on a friday and had a great experience at Buca.. I really enjoyed the pizzas and cured meats. Service was excellent as usual and overall a great vibe.Special Features:
- Beware the noiseAnonymousDined on 7/11/2014Not recommended if you are bothered by noise. As the evening progressed, we had to literally shout at each other to be heard. Would also not recommend the bread basket, but otherwise most of the food was excellent to outstanding.
- Amazing service.roozDined on 7/11/2014The service was spectacular. Not only did our waiter explain the dishes, but he also gave a brief background on the dish. It made each dish an learning experience.Special Features:
- Buca ExperienceJoannaDined on 7/10/2014I thoroughly enjoyed my Buca experience. Felt like we were sitting on a private terrace in Italy, being served authentic cuisine and spoken to mostly in Italian. Ideal setting for a summer lunch or dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rave reviews are justified.DinewithmeDined on 7/7/2014Although our reservation somehow got mixed up, we were quickly shown to a table and enjoyed some of the best pizza I've ever had. Would definitely return!Special Features:
- Good but overratedMauligirlVIPDined on 7/6/2014I had been trying to get a reservation to Buca at a time convenient for me for months. I had to book almost a month in advance to get prime dining time even though it was for a Sunday evening. The food was good but I can't say it was the best nor worth the wait. The wine list was a bit overpriced and strangely priced. The least expensive being the lightest wines and the most expensive were the heaviest. The food was interesting and a little different. The portion sizes tended on the smaller side. My husband who is not a big eater was still a little hungry when we left. I certainly won't plan far in advance again but I might try again.Special Features:
- Fantastic!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/4/2014One of the best culinary experiences I've had in Toronto! The food was delicious and the service unpretentious and extremely knowledgable. Had a great night out sharing dishes with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.