604 King St. West
Toronto, ON M5V 1M6Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.buca.ca/
- Phone: 4168651600
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch Monday - Friday 11:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m. Dinner Sunday - Wednesday 5:00 p.m. - 10:00 p.m. Thursday - Saturday 5:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Rob Gentile
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Contact: Chris Loizou (416) 865-1600
A word from Buca
Buca Osteria Enoteca is an Italian restaurant from the King Street Food Company (Jacobs & Co. Steakhouse and The Saint Tavern). The menu aims to combine the ingredient specificity of rustic Italian cuisine with the culinary finesse of fine dining, building recipes around fresh and seasonal produce, but using a number of classical culinary techniques as well. The beautiful and understated main dining room has soaring high ceilings, exposed raw brick, and iron beams - using the natural elements of the heritage building. Towards the back, beyond the open curing room, a smaller wine bar, the Enoteca, is sleek and private.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
Buca reviews from OpenTable diners
191 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (131)special occasion (112)notable wine list (93)hot spot (76)romantic (75)great for outdoor dining (60)neighborhood gem (58)good for groups (40)great for lunch (23)late-night find (22)vibrant bar scene (9)scenic view (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Spectacular dining experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/28/2014From the greeting at the door to the send off everything was perfect. The staff were kind, knowledgeable and engaged in conversation without getting in the way of our dining experience. We had the tasting menu with wine pairings and what a memorable experience that was! Every course and the extras treats were just right. They also accommodated a food allergy very graciously making substitutions in that they even called ahead of our reservation to discuss the allergy and let us know how they would approach this. I would absolutely recommend to friends. A night to remember. One of the best dinners I have every had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buca or Grotto?OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We ate in the 'wine cave' and it was suited to cave living - it was freezing cold!! Had I known we would have been seated in that area, I would have brought my sabre tooth fur to keep me warm. Despite a cold experience, the food was delicious and the service impeccable. I would return but would request to be seated in the front of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/25/2014meaty pizza was not the greateast - tirimasu was amazing - small dishes for what you are paying. pizza is the way to go to get bank for your buck.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over rated bucaGiselleDined on 9/24/2014Expensive wine!$38 for a 5 oz Brunello dI montalcuno. Pasta nothing special, service and decor great , too much rock salt on everything, stuffed olives were deep fried and deep fry was not mentioned on the menu. Disappointed given that joanne Kates rated it first of the 100 best
- Always spectacular!OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/22/2014My only complaint is that I always eat too much! Menu is always fresh, with the favourites always represented. Best Nodini ever!Special Features:
- Buca is for Italian Foodieskitchenterror60Dined on 9/21/2014Very interesting and unusual menu i.e. nose to tail items. I really liked the home made cured meats. A bit overpriced for what you get but the quality of the food was very good. They could do a better job on their Puttanesca. I would definitely go back for more sampling.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, Great foodJane0690Dined on 9/17/2014Service here was absolutely amazing. Staff was really friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were having a great experience. Really reasonable prices here as well and the food was amazing especially the almond flourless cake we got for dessert!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb ServiceDickDined on 9/17/2014Friendly, attentive service. Interesting room with dishes that have a fascinating twist on flavors.Special Features:
- Amazing...but expensive winejcanuckDined on 9/16/2014Buca continues to produce fantastic food with great service and atmosphere. The cured meats and bread knots are must-have staples there, and my wife's Branzino was cooked to perfection. Portion size is nice and small, which I like...lots of flavour, but you don't have to roll out of the restaurant after dinner. My only complaint is the wine list. Not the wines (I love Italian wine), not the sommelier (he picked out a gem for us), but the pricing. There are not nearly enough bottles under $100, and very few in the $60 to $80 sweet spot (for non-expense account diners). The markup is just too high. From the wines I recognized, it seemed to be ~300%, even for wines retailing for $80. That kind of markup is just too much IMO.Special Features:
- A little Tuscany in TOOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Nicely done. Only issue the portions are small for the prices charged - wouldn't fly in ItalySpecial Features:
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Very unique presentation and the server was very knowledgeable. Highly recommended!Special Features:
- AmazingWonderfulDined on 9/12/2014We went to Buca for a Friday afternoon lunch. Food was terrific, service was superb and the atmosphere was very quaint. We will be back!!!Special Features:
- qualifiedtocommentDined on 9/8/2014I found the food excellent the menu too restrictive and suggest any patrons see the menu before you book as it changes every 2 days. Ours had too much pork as well. For $32 for 4oz fish there were no sides added and few were offered as options. I left hungry. Best regards, Stephen J. Renard President RENARD INTERNATIONAL HOSPITALITY SEARCH CONSULTANTS 121 Richmond Street West, Suite 500 Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5H 2K1 Tel: (1) 416 364 8325, ext. 228 Fax: (1) 416 364 4924 Email: Steve@renardinternational.com Web site: www.renardinternational.com www.renardglobalmanagement.comSpecial Features:
- arielrellDined on 9/7/2014Food was delicious but I have to say not a very good value. It was extremely expensive for very small portions. $26 for about 1/2 cup of pasta. As well, many high-end restaurants will take into account the number of people at your table when arranging bread and even some appetizers. We ordered charceuterie and cheese for the 5 of us, and most of the meats had about 3 or 4 pieces. And again they brought us 4 very small slices of bread.Special Features:
- OutstandingMaxCVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great good, great ambience. Amazing. Service was fantastic, great traditional dishes prepared in a very modern way.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Denzel ate here!!!FoodieGirlVIPDined on 9/6/2014I had a fantastic dinner here, everything except for one thing we ordered was amazing. My friend and I shared the nodini (definite must), beef Carpaccio, gnocco fritto, duck egg pasta, ravioli and tiramisu. The only disappointment was the gnocco fritto. I thought it was going to be fried gnocchi but it was a puffed up bready thing. Not that it was bad but not as delicious as everything else we ate. The duck egg pasta lived up to all the hype I heard and the tiramisu was one of the best I've had. The service was top notch! Last thing I need to mention, my dining experience was heightened to another level when I saw DENZEL WASHINGTON also eating at the restaurant!! I read Buca was a popular spot for celebs during TIFF and they were right!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 9/3/2014A lovely lunch on their shaded patio. Ethereal funghi pizza, great salad, and salumi tray. Expensive, but on a summer day, quite wonderful.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Clearly in a special classxmtlerDined on 8/31/2014Having tried its little off shoot across the street, I had been looking forward to trying the restaurant proper. While most of the super hyped restaurants in this city too often disappoint, I was so pleasantly surprised. The ambiance and decor is a great setting. The service was friendly, professional and gracious. The wine list is excellent - if perhaps a little over priced. The dishes were simply excellent. While the fried ravioli was a little too precious, the six other dishes (3 apps, 2 mains, and a dessert) we shared were most memorable. The evening was everything we hoped it would be. I look forward to return soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very pleasedredmeanstopDined on 8/30/2014We had a couple of delicious cocktails with the deep friend stuffed olives and beef carpaccio to begin. Followed by a perfectly cooked blood sausage spaghetti and a classic pizza. All were delicious - while the cake concoction at the end was perfectly sweet and light for dessert. Our server was attentive and sweet - knowledgable about the menu and have great suggestions and pairing ideas. Will definitely recap mind and return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Problem with portion sizeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014I'm usually too lazy to write reviews and don't really care. I really want to come back to Buca in the future, hence the following review: The servers were friendly and very knowledgeable with the dishes and Buca has extensive menu options. HOWEVER, the portion sizes of the pasta dishes were too small to match the price. This really deters me from coming back in the future for "dining." I would have to tell my friends to either eat BEFORE going or eat AFTER going. Real disappointment there.Special Features:
- Italian gem on King StreetLeChatDined on 8/30/2014Had a fabulous dinner here. Very inventive cuisine- top quality, as was the presentation. This is NOT your typical Italian restaurant. Pricey for probably a lot of folks, but this is a true foodie place. You will not be disappointed, I guarantee.Special Features:
- Somehow dissapointedlovegoodfoodDined on 8/29/2014Good food but they don't put much of it on the plate...I ordered a ravioli main course, and got 6 of them in the plate...for around $30??? Overpriced...and left hungry...
- Has potential but needs improvementLovetryingnewplacesDined on 8/28/2014Host was unfriendly and certainly not inviting.Did not even crack a smile when we walked in. Otherwise has nice ambiance and waiters were very pleasant. Fabulous spot and nice patio. The appetizers were very skimpy and I felt insulted by the 2 slices of cappicchollo(however u spell it) and the quarter of a pickle and half a grape they served as a condiment to the meats. Veal was delicious bit pasta 1st item on the menu I did not like with cinommon -was not my thing and by the way I love all pasta. If I go back I would order pizza and some cheeses as everything is extremely overpriced and not worth it They charge you for bread as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/27/2014The service and the host was amazing, very comfortable environment.Special Features:
- Great lunch as usualCrowDined on 8/27/2014Our server was very attentive and each food was plated beautifully. The only down side was the duck egg pasta. It was such a small portion for a main dish. But I will definitely dine again.Special Features:
- Living up to its reputationthekid307Dined on 8/26/2014Came here on my birthday after Joanne Kates rated it #1 in Toronto. It didn't disappoint. Lovely ambience with a patio in an alleyway and classical music. You can't tell hear any car traffic from King or Adelaide. Appetizers were creative, the mains held up, and the Franjelico cake was divine. Some notes. The inside can get a bit noisy but we were on the patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousJulesDined on 8/24/2014I have been here twice and the food is delicious. I find there is too many wait staff though kind of just staring at you. The food is very finessed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! That's all I've Got...franjii2VIPDined on 8/24/2014What an incredible dining experience at Buca! Rob Gentile is cooking up some of the finest food I've eaten in a long time. Thanks to all of the wait staff who treated us like we were the only guests on their packed patio. Going back for my birthday!!Special Features:
- Met our high expectations!TeresaDined on 8/23/2014We were looking for a restaurant with friends to celebrate our anniversaries as we have been doing together for 36 years. Our son loves Buca and told us to go there this year. We were not disappointed. Our server was professional, friendly and attentive as were all the staff. Appetizers were great. We had the small twist rolls, a pizza, warm olives, the gnocchi with lobster and the ricotta cheese. For mains, two of us had the branzino, one had the veal(it was prepared differently than I had ever seen before, but delicious) and I had the scallops...all excellent. For dessert it was tiramisu and a selection of cheeses.... scrumptious. I would definitely recommend Buca for anyone looking for a fine dining experience.Special Features:
- Bella Bucachristin1988Dined on 8/21/2014Wonderful evening at Buca! Great food and service. It was a bit noisy where I was sitting, however it was very busy which naturally creates a good atmosphere. Will definitely go again when I'm in Toronto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelectableJudeDined on 8/20/2014Found this spot online through Yelp. Had a drink to check it out and came back the next night with another couple for dinner. Great food and drinks. Would've liked a bit more light at our table but I guess that is the atmosphere they created. The noise of conversation reverberates off the brick walls and ceiling, and that also makes for a lively atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great dinner.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/17/2014The food was really good. Lamb's brains were amazing. Crispy outer shell of prosciutto and the center melts in your mouth. Very well thought out dishes with elements that are simple but work exceptionally well together. The service staff are very attentive but not in a disruptive manner. Thank you for a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Big DisappointmentDinerFamilyof4VIPDined on 8/17/2014Our first time at Buca. An expensive and supposedly one of the best restaurants in Toronto. The food was excellent. The waitress was at best average--not at all what one would expect for the cost of the meal. We were seated in the "overflow" room which had to atmosphere at all -- yet after the dinner we realized there was space in the main room. The maitre d probably figured we weren't trendy looking enough. Too bad for them. We spend a fortune dining out. And so do our friends. Won't be spending our money at Buca. And have already deterred 3 people from going there.Special Features:
- Never dissapointsBrendanDined on 8/16/2014Had the veal tenderloin, wife had the lobster gnocchi. Both were fantastic. Highlight is always the nodini though. Tiramisu is better than it used to be as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Definitely overrated!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/16/2014None of the signature items such as nodini, bigoli or tiramisu were impressive. We tried four different pastas and all were not prepared fresh. Taste is different and we cannot describe it as good. Also, either too dry or overly soaked in olive oil. In addition to four appetizers which again were mediocre, we also ordered a mushroom pizza to share knowing the portions are very small. The pizza did come out hot and was very good, especially compared to the appetizers and pastas. Overall disappointing. We will not be returning.
- Five Stars!!!AceofspadesDined on 8/16/2014Great ambiance, exceptionally prepared food with outstanding service! More on the pricey side but well worth it for those special occasions. Portion sizes are small, so enjoy a few courses (you will have room for desert... which also is highly recommended)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceMKM1VIPDined on 8/13/2014Dinner at Buca was wonderful - excellent food, great atmosphere, and exceptional service (thanks to our server Zoey)!Special Features:
- BeautifulPickydinerDined on 8/13/2014Beautiful restaurant with friendly staff. Fine dining without attitude. Definitely recommended.Special Features:
- Delicious and great service.FoodieDined on 8/11/2014I accidentally made a reservation for a Tuesday night, but myself and my partner showed up on the Monday preceding the reservation. Staff went above and beyond and found us a table with 10 mins. The host even provided us with a glass of proseco as we sat at our table. That set the tone for the remainder of the evening. The service was fantastic, very knowledgeable staff, wine selection was great, quality of the food was excellent. Ambiance also very striking, overall carriers a romantic feel. Portions are small, but I found them to be appropriate. I would certainly say one of my better dinning experiences in Toronto.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hot spot for great foodGlobalFoodieVIPDined on 8/11/2014Hot trendy spot in Toronto! It is always difficult to get a reservation at BUCA, but when you do, it is well worth it. Food & Service is great and the restaurant is buzzling! Good wine list.Special Features: