Montreal, QC H2T1S4Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bu-mtl.com/
- Phone: 5142760249
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Daily: 5:00 PM - 12:00 AM
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Andrea Sgro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Happy Hour, Late Night, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from Bu
First wine bar in Montréal, BU offers Italian contemporary cuisine and an exceptional selection of wines by the glass. Open since 2003 in the trendy Mile End district.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bu reviews from OpenTable diners
- StrangeSamLouDined on 5/24/2013It was an odd experience from the start, when the waiter tells you that the resto is moving locations so "we need to get rid of the food in our fridge." He said that there were changes on the menu because they were going to use whatever was left in the fridge so they won't have to move it. What a turn off! Hoping that the food would taste good even with their leftover pitch - sadly it was not good at all. I didn't finish any of my dishes...hoping that the next would be better. The only good thing was the wine.
- Love this place!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/3/2013We had a great night - shared a cheese platter, amazing salmon tartar and the beet salad was delicious. They have a very extensive wine list and the bottle we ordered (priced at only $39) was great!Special Features:
- Wine was good, but food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/16/2013Wine was good, but food was so-so. Not all that tasty.
- Le choix de vins est excellent.RoyerDined on 3/11/2013Le choix de vins est excellent. Les offres de trio dégustation de vin par thème permettent de gouter des vins inconnus tout en ayant une quantité raisonnable qui permettra de prendre le volant ensuite. Le partage des tapas rend le repas convivial. Excellent service.Special Features:
- Loud, and fancy, I left hungryOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/26/2013This restaurant is more like a tapas bar. Arriving there with starving clients after drinks is not a good idea. Actually arriving there with clients is not a good idea, you will have a hard time just hearing them with the music blasting away. Wine was outstanding, I discovered some new gems, thank you for that. However I left the table thinking, gees I could go for a bagel right down the street on St Viateur!!!! Seriouslly turn down the sound, attend to tables more often and you will have a satified cleint with me. I'll try again, but not soon.Special Features:
- We shared a total of six appetizersOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/23/2013We shared a total of six appetizers. The food we had was ok but not excellent. It was either not salted enough or too salted. The fried shrimp and calamari were tasteless and the mayo was blend. We however had one of the best wine we ever tasted; a pinot gris from Alsace. The staff was very professionnal and courteous.Special Features:
- Went on a Friday night, waitedGlennMTLDined on 2/22/2013Went on a Friday night, waited 10 minutes to get a proper menu for the evening. The table set-up is awful...you're sitting one on top of the other. The wait staff can't bring bottles over because of the lack of space. When the wait staff finally appeared, it was ok at best. We ordered a selection of tapas and a cheese plate to only order wine once the first course appeared. But the food was great. However, we ordered a "blind selection" of wine never to have it explained to us. The cheese plate arrived thirty minutes after the end of the course. By that time, we were exhausted and didn't feel like any dessert. Plus, for a place calling itself a wine bar, the selection by the glass only offers 9 options and two bubbly.Special Features:
- The place is so cold the waitressesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/23/2013The place is so cold the waitresses had their coats on. Not fit for group at all. Extremely bad service, waitress was rude, in fact worst dining experience i have ever had. Do not go in groups, and in the winter.
- Wine/service outshine foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/8/2012Had a group of 15 for a birthday party. Service was impeccable-they really made sure everyone was taken care of and the dinner went smoothly. We were in and out of there as of it had been a group of five people! I had spoken with the manager ahead of time to come up with a set menu for people to choose from to make the experience more efficient. The food wasn't anything to write home about, which is the only reason I my not recommend Bu to a friend. The wine list was amazing, however, so for a romantic night out I would definitely recommend it. I started off with a sparkling rose wine that was lovely!Special Features:
- Intimate spot in the vibrant mtl!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/10/2012The restaurant was fantastic the moment we walked in. With an intimate setting, it made you feel like you picked a gem in the vibrant city of Montreal. We were late for our reservations, yet the gentleman who was working the front was extremely accommodating, and I think gave us the best seat in the entire restaurant with the a lovely street view, over looking fast paced st.laurent. Our server I must say was fantastic. He was very thorough in explaining the menu and had no problem answering our questions. We participated in the fixed taste mtl menu, our first time participating in anything of this nature. From our appetizer to our dessert to our wine parings, the food was tasteful, creative, and overall delicious. We will be back again!!!!Special Features:
- Went for the taste of mtlRichDined on 11/8/2012Went for the taste of mtl festival. The menu offered were perfect for my date and I. Each dish offered something different and something to look forward to. I will definitely go back. The prices are a little high but for the experience had it was agreeable. Only downside were the uncomfortable chairs. Easily over come-able by a few wine tasters!Special Features:
- The food was very good. IOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/3/2012The food was very good. I especially liked the menu items where you can choose the size of the plate (i.e. entree size or regular size). The only issue I had with it was the service. It just took way too long to get our food. Especially between the entree and the main course. We were practically falling asleep betwee servings.
- We had gone there on a MondayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/1/2012We had gone there on a Monday evening and it was very quiet and pleasant dining experience. Food was great. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- J'ai vraiment aimé mon expérience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/21/2012J'ai vraiment aimé mon expérience. La nourriture est délicieuse et il y a beaucoup de choix :) Les prix sont tout à fait raisonnable vu la qualité de ce qui nous ai servi. Les employés sont très connaisseurs des produits qu'ils offrent et ont toujours une suggestion à nous faire si on est indécis. je recommande à tous et chacun, vraiment un restaurant à visiter !!!Special Features:
- Fun, great winesOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/20/2012Fun place! They forgave our early arrival. The wine list is full of unusual, interesting bottlings, that I, an enophile, have never seen before. What we ordered was excellent, and they give multiple ordering options - flight of three, vs by the glass. I'm sure there was a by the bottle option, but we didn't choose that. Food was excellent for a wine bar. The waiter misheard our order for croquettes and gave us bruschetta instead. We looked at the tomato-heaped, succulent dish, and dug in without saying a word. Loved it. The lamb chop, advertised as scottaditta, came as ONE chop. It was not frenched as a scotta dita would be, did not have the char that scotts should have. $12 was expensive for one chop. We would go back.Special Features:
- At BU the service was exceptional,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2012At BU the service was exceptional, the waiter was knowledgeable and friendly. We asked him to pair wines to our selections from the menu and he provided a careful and well explained offering. It was Sunday night and quiet in the the restaurant and the kitchen was still prepared to put forth quality dishes. This is not always the case with small restaurants at the end of the weekend. The bruschetta , the dry beef and the raviolis were a standout. The Octopus was good but our least favorite dish. I had my reservations about the octopus going into the evening. It was better than expected but not a classic "pulpo a la gallega," or Italian equivalent. The pasta with garlic a mushrooms was simple and impressively prepared.Special Features:
- prix relativement élevé. Jesim86Dined on 8/23/2012prix relativement élevé. Je pense qu'il mériterait trois $Special Features:
- The service is excellent,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/5/2012The service is excellent, and the blind wine tasting trio is definitely a must! A great way to discover new wines and sample lots of different dishes.Special Features:
- Belle sélection de nourritureOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/7/2012Belle sélection de nourriture pour accompagner la superbe carte des vins.Special Features:
- Our waiter (Jerome) was extremelyOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/1/2012Our waiter (Jerome) was extremely knowledgable about the wines and even replaced glasses if we were not pleased. He spent a great deal of time telling us about each of our choices. The trios are a great way to try different kinds of wines. Food was very good, except the salmon tartare; they mixed it with cream and something about it seemed wrong. I prefer Buvette chez Simon as a wine bar only because the noise level is higher and my friends and I tend to be "energetic" on a Friday night.Special Features:
- Wonderful wine selection andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/21/2012Wonderful wine selection and beautiful food. We were there on a holiday and it was very quiet, but still great.Special Features:
- Had not been there in theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/2/2012Had not been there in the while - even better then I rememberedSpecial Features:
- Wanted to try something newOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2012Wanted to try something new on a Saturday night and Bu had an open spot at 7:45pm. When we arrived restaurant was almost full (and noise level was moderate). By the time we left, 11pm, restaurant was full and energetic. Service was great. Waiter was very helpful with both the food choices and the wine. Will defintely go back to try something different!Special Features:
- Quite ordinary.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2012The meal (taste, quality and general presentation) was disappointing. However, Bu has a great wine list and could be a great spot if you want to share a bottle of wine with some basic appetizers. I don't recommend going there for dinner.Special Features:
- It was a first experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/26/2012It was a first experience in a Wine Bar and I really enjoy it. Service was so simple, easy, honest and sensitive. The emphasis of the restaurant is on the quality not on the quantity and I love that. Thanks for the adventure.Special Features:
- Good food, good wine list.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/21/2012Good food, good wine list. Service was fair at best, took fifty minutes to place our order, and that is only because I flagged another waiter down to get our actual waiter. To be fair, our waiter was dealing with a large group at the next table but we got no service all night.Special Features:
- The food was good and theOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/6/2012The food was good and the service very helpful with wine selection. Price very acceptable for good wine and reasonnably good food.
- My partner and I had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/31/2012My partner and I had a great meal and the the wine was excellent. Jerome made our experience worth while. He went over and beyond taking care of us. We will certainly go back.Special Features:
- C'était très froid dans leOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/24/2012C'était très froid dans le resto. La porte des cuisines était ouverte Sur l'extérieur et nous avons du avertir à 2 reprises qu'il faisait froid de façon Désagréable (nous avions nos manteaux sur nous) ce point à Quelque peu diminue l'agreabilite de la soirée. Sinon nourriture très bonne, service rapide, vin au verre limite pour un bar à vin.
- Le personnel est très sympathique,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/17/2012Le personnel est très sympathique, le décor, l'ambiance, la musique, tout semble s'harmoniser à merveille. Un samedi soir à se rappeler!Special Features:
- Simply Marvelous!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/1/2012Olives, squid, and tomato dishes were my favourites but really everything was excellent- the lemon tiramisu was the icing on the cake - we enjoyed a really nice dinner at Bu and I am already looking forward to returning!
- Soirée agréable!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2012Beau resto, beau concept, service agréable, nourriture bonne mais ordinaire. Belle liste de vins et serveurs très gentils.Special Features:
- Great service, soothing ambiance,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012Great service, soothing ambiance, knowledgable staff: a great night out! My only criticism is that it is a bit pricey (I know the beers were on special for the "Montreal en Lumiere" festival, but $22 for a litre bottle is a bit much!), but the food was definitely was a spectacular treat. I've already recommended it to my friends!Special Features:
- Good but expensive, seen betterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2012Good, but not great. Great service, good food but very noisy and expensive for what you receive in exchange. There are a lot of better restaurants in Montreal. That is why we will not be tempted to go back in a near future.Special Features:
- The food is simple but wellOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/27/2012The food is simple but well prepared and the portions are perfect for a wine bar. The wine selection is good but limited. A more varied wine choice would be a nice edition, however the choices available are splendid. The service was excellent. The decor is very basic, nothing extravagant. This establishment is worth a look on a simple friday or saturday night to just take it easy and not get complicated. Enjoy!
- outstanding experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/28/2011The service was well-timed, personalized and very attentive. The music was perfectly appropriated and the volume was alright. Impressive wine list and good food. Everything for a pretty decent price. For 3 persons, it cost about 36$ without taxes for a 3 wines blind sampling per person plus the Bu plate ( an assortment of delicatessen, cheese, vegetables, etc. ), the salmon and the toast with mascarpone.Special Features:
- Very good wine list, especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/4/2011Very good wine list, especially Italian. My friend and I both had homemade pasta (one fresh tomatoes and parmagiano and one pecorino and pepper), the best we never tasted! Perfectly al dente and tasty!Special Features:
- Overall the food was good,LaumatteoDined on 10/23/2011Overall the food was good, the pastas were a little cold. It was the restaurant's 8th anniversary so they offered a glass of prosecco to everyone, that was nice. It was a sunday night, so very quiet. The waiter looked like he didn't want to be there and was a little bit arrogant.
- Too Expensive for what it is...OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/17/2011Too expensive for what is it.Food was average at best but quantity and price was not in line. I feel that if it was priced at 30-40% of their current prices, they might have a potential of being a decent restaurant.Their wine list is extensive(as it should be for a wine bar)Atelier, A'los, Lawrence which are a few doors away are much better choices.Special Features:
- It was OKPollyVIPDined on 9/17/2011Great service, menu reads and sounds great but doesn't quite live up to its description. My friend loved the tapas and i'd say they were alright....nothing memorable.Special Features: