254028 Bearspaw Road NW
Calgary, AB T3L 2P7Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bsidebistro.com/
- Phone: 4032417611
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: John Udell
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Custom catering for any occasion
- Entertainment: Live Jazz/Pop Friday and Saturday evenings
A word from Bside Bistro
Enjoy a glass of wine, share some appetizers, order dinner if you like or go straight to dessert. Relax and be served in our classy, casual atmosphere.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bside Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Not a private Table for Two...OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/31/2013We have been to both the Bear's Den and the B-side Bistro a few times, the food and service are always good which keeps us coming back. We like the B-side as it is more casual. However, each time we have made an online reservation and were seated like an after thought. This last visit we were placed at a table for two right by the kitchen access and bar. Seemed a lot of individuals, both staff and guests like to congregrate there to converse. I would rather be turned away then accomodated in such a spot. Next time I will call and inquire as to where the table is situated prior to making a reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service Was Outrageously SlowOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 5/31/2013It took two hours from the time we arrived to the time our meal arrived. Need I say any more.Special Features:
- Anothony Chalmers: Very loud,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/26/2013Anothony Chalmers: Very loud, poor music selection. Such a beautiful place, but so noisy we will not be returning. You may wish to investigate software which is available called " sound masking" which can reduce noise levels significantly. What with the big screen TV's showing movies at a Brunch? This does not fit the rooom. If you are trying to acheive a sports bar scene, do so at night, not during a Brunch setting.
- The food here is really good!luvmyfoodDined on 5/17/2013The food here is really good! All the staff is really friendly, starting at the front door.Special Features:
- Relaxed and Delicious!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/10/2013Our waitress was amazing. We went with our children and she was very understanding and talked to them throughout the evening. Everyone at our table was impressed by our waitress and the food. If you are going with children, it is not quick meal so bring something for them to do. That being said, it was a very relaxed evening for everyone.I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/5/2013The service and setting were very good. The "canadian dim sum" was interesting but too heavy on the deep fried tid bits. They waited far too long to deliver the Eggs Benedict, should have come earlier, before all the spring roll type of sides were brought. Not too much breakfast choises, lots of lunch choises.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went for family meal withOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/28/2013Went for family meal with kids & grandparents, as wife & I had an excellent meal at Restaurant a few months ago. Service VERY slow (30 mins to get a drink, over an hour before food came), despite Bistro being quiet. Music too loud. One of our party given apple juice, instead of ordered gin & tonic. Starters arrived - mediocre quality - calamari limp & pale. Wine still hadn't arrived. Further 20 mins before main course came. Duo of duck had fatty duck breast, large fat spots in a watery 'sauce' and soggy ravioli. One ribeye steak was almost 50% fat. Minimalist veg on raw side of al dente. Server & manager were dismissive (manager collected plates and took them away in middle of our complaint). Only +ve was no charge for meal.
- Best brunch ever! Bside BistroOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/28/2013Best brunch ever! Bside Bistro not only has a wicked buffet, they do bite size table samplers that go on for hours. Every few minutes a new server would be by to offer two bite samples of everything from hot cinnamon buns to fish and chips to duck spring rolls to smoked salmon crepes, deep fried boccocini sticks. I could go on and on...it was so hard to say no! What a great way to try so many different dishes.Special Features:
- Brunch was excellent. Friendly,HeidiDined on 4/21/2013Brunch was excellent. Friendly, efficient service. Brought our ten month old and the restraint was very accommodating! Loved the "Canadian dim sum " concept.Special Features:
- New chef & staff = very poor mealOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/20/2013We have been to BSide several times and have always had a great experience. This time it was terrible. The food took 2-3 times longer than usual to arrive, and it was terrible. My wife had the "appardelle pasta & lamb", it was prepared without the vegetables, tomato demi, or olives, which meant that she got a bowl of dry lamb and pasta and everything that's supposed to make it taste good was left out. Our waitress didn't stop by to see us for 20+ minutes so it wasn't even possible to send the food back. My hamburger was fine, but I asked for ketchup for my fries which never arrived so I only got to eat half of my meal due to very poor service. I am extremely dissapointed and we will likely not return.
- Food was pretty good: onionOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 4/19/2013Food was pretty good: onion soup was delicious, definitely one of the best we've had, best part of the burger was the bacon, burger itself was just ok. Fries were awful. Service was very slow, too much time spent waiting for both drinks, starter and main courses. So many good reviews led us to this restaurant but unfortunately we did not have the greatest experience here and will not return.
- Fantastic steak. The halfOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/14/2013Fantastic steak. The half price wine deal was a nice surprise. Beautiful venue, nicest in CalgarySpecial Features:
- We went to the Bistro to celebrateOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/13/2013We went to the Bistro to celebrate our daughter's 16th bday. The ambiance, food, service and entertainment were excellent! This bistro idea with a lighter fair menu, allowing kids, with a more casual atmosphere and with all the beautiful comfortable decor of a high class restaurant is genious!!! We never knew about the Bistro until we received a gift certificate from a friend last year. What a discovery, and practically down the street. Keep up the good work!! Might be a good idea to advertise in the Tuscany sun neighbourhood paper to let people know that the Bears den caters to every wallet. We tell everyone we know! :)Special Features:
- bSide Bistro in the Bears DenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/7/2013Very relaxed atmosphere with terrific menu. Server was interested and knowledgeable. A great place to take friends. Terrific wine promotion - 50% off - on wines typically costing over $100 on Sunday made for a special treat.Special Features:
- BSide Bistro: best brunch around!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/7/2013I booked BSide Bistro Sunday brunch over a month before we went because it always fills up really quickly. When I found out that it had changed ownership, I was a bit worried that it would lose some of its original merits that attracted us to the restaurant in the first place. However, from the time we entered the restaurant to when we stepped back out into the blinding sunshine,the experience we had at BSide was fantastic. The one thing I enjoy most is the service! The servers go out of their way to make sure that you're well taken care of and that your plate/glass is never empty. Food is fantastic..always something new every time! Well worth the small price increase!Special Features:
- Worth the driveOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/30/20131st class service terrific food nice music on weekendsSpecial Features:
- We went there with my familyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/29/2013We went there with my family and the service and food were excellent.Special Features:
- The B-Side Bistro/Bear's DenMeTooDined on 3/20/2013The B-Side Bistro/Bear's Den continues to be my favourite restaurant in the Calgary area. Spectacular food, wonderful service, and unbeatable ambiance for all special occasions.Special Features:
- Helpful and knowledgeableOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/16/2013Helpful and knowledgeable service - enjoyed the experienceSpecial Features:
- Service was excellent. HoweverOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/16/2013Service was excellent. However we ordered when we ordered a mojito they could no accomodate as they had no mint. Also ordered mashed potatoes but as well were told they were not available that evening.Special Features:
- Our family of five went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/10/2013Our family of five went there for the Sunday Brunch. The food was excellent as always. My wife usually does not prefer a buffet style meal but was excited abur this Brunch. We all thought the food was great for a Brinch due to the fact that they were continually bringing out new fresh selections served at your table. It is excellent value and the price could even be increased and it would still be a bargain. It gives everyone a taste of the food offered and entices you to return for lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Always ImpressedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013My husband and I go to Bside Bistro for special occasions, birthday or anniversaries. Each time we go, we are always pleased and eager to come back for our next special night out. The service and food is superb. The artwork always impresses me and we spend an a good portion of time wondering about the artist :-) The live music on Fridays and Saturdays is definitely a plus!Special Features:
- Out of special at 7:00pm thenOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Out of special at 7:00pm then ordered halibut which is not available anymore. Food was barely warm.
- A great neighbourhood find.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013A great neighbourhood find. Can be romantic, but yet friendly and comfortable for a group. Not too loud, can acturally talk. Evening entertainment provided a great back ground.Special Features:
- A very special venueOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/22/2013This is the third time we've dined here, and we come back primarily because we absolutely love the wildlife/wood decor of the room and the quiet elegant setting conducive to conversation. In three visits, our meals and service have varied from mediocre to excellent, and this time it was the latter, perhaps (though hopefully not) because we ordered some of the more expensive dishes! The steak was outstanding, and the seafood special was beautifully done with the exception of the salmon piece, which was rather mushy and lacking in flavour. The French onion soup is one of the best we've experienced. The wine list appears to be targeted at pricey indulgence, but is certainly extensive. We'll continue to return to this lovely location.Special Features:
- Not overly impresseddecksitterVIPDined on 2/22/2013We've been to the Bear's Den several times and enjoyed the food very much, so we thought we'd try Bside for a casual change. We thought the food would be just as good, but were not very impressed. I ordered the hamburger which is exactly what it says on the menu - a beef patty. Definitely not a JUICY beef patty. At one point I thought maybe it had just been warmed up from frozen. I've had much, much better at Milestone's or Earl's. Shoestring fries were very salty. My husband had the lamb bowl and said it was good, not great. I agree with one other diner that the food could definitely be stepped up a notch, considering how good the food is at Bear's Den. We were quite disappointed and probably won't return. Service was very good.
- My husband and I went to BsideOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013My husband and I went to Bside Bistro for Valentine's Day. We had heard great things about the food and atmosphere. I ordered the steak medium and when it came out it was medium rare and it had no seasoning or glaze. I asked our server for options of side sauces and was told there was a peppercorn, red wine or bernaise sauce. I chose the red wine sauce and received the same gravy my husband had with his prime rib, I sent that one back and asked for the peppercorn sauce and again it was the exact same gravy, no difference. I ordered the bernaise sauce last and it was ok. The highlight of the meal were the scallops I ordered and the chocolate covered strawberries we received at the end of the meal. For the price it should have been better
- Enjoyed our evening very muchOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/9/2013Enjoyed our evening very much but found the live music was too loud for conversation. Love the live musicians but they need to lower volume for a restaurant setting.Special Features:
- Have had a very good lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/3/2013Have had a very good lunch experience but dinner was a little different. Love the ambience of the fireplace & low lighting. Or server Sheila was very nice.Special Features:
- enjoyable enough and goodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/27/2013enjoyable enough and good family atmosphere....careful that food samplings are brought to EVERY table...we seemed to be often missed and there was seemingly only one round and trays almost empty even thpugh we were a table of 6...it stopped long before we had a chance to actually enjoy it . I think the idea is to simply move folks to the buffet line BUT 2 of a group only came due to the table service and their mobility.Special Features:
- Service was excellent. TomatoWillyZ1Dined on 1/25/2013Service was excellent. Tomato appetizer was excellent and we would go back just to have it again. Prime Rib was good but not outstanding for a signature dish served only on Fridays and Saturday. We have had better at restaurants at half the price. We would not go back just to have the Prime Rib. Menu selection was good and we will go back to try some of the other selections.Special Features:
- Good value and great wineOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/18/2013I've been to the Bears Den many times but never to the Bside Bistro before. I was very pleased. Great wine list and reasonably priced food. The server even made me a special dish when I liked part of two pastas! Very impressed. The pasta itself came out so so but since it was a special request and not a tested menu item I can't complain. The appetizer was excellent and I enjoyed the nice butter with the bread. Would definitely go back!Special Features:
- Food was average, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 1/5/2013Food was average, service very slow and so noisy I had trouble talking to our group, There are many better options in calgary for this price point.
- Service was a little slowDiner2DelightDined on 12/28/2012Service was a little slow to our liking. We were there from 7pm until 10:30pm - from appetizers to dessert. The bison & roast beef were notable; however, not the duck dish.Special Features:
- Memorable Christmas family brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2012Excellent pleasant service,wide selection of well prepared dishes,great ambiance!Special Features:
- First time I had been to thislaneyVIPDined on 12/22/2012First time I had been to this venue and it was so nice... great atmosphere and wonderful food!Special Features:
- Competent but not outstandingZontarDined on 12/17/2012Ok but not really great food (from the bside menu). I think they could try and step it up a notch.Special Features:
- nice atmosphere but...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2012We went there for Sunday Brunch. Small potion foods they serve every tables are very nice and taste good, although buffet foods are disappointed. Price, they charged $21.95 per person but HP price was $19.95 for adults. I don't know why they charged plus $2 each. There is a nice atmosphere good for couples.Special Features:
- Went to bside on Sunday atOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/16/2012Went to bside on Sunday at 10am. The food was very delicious. Wished I didn't eat as much at the buffet as the Canadian "dim sum" was quite delicious and wish I had saved more room for it. Was a little bit surprised as the bill came up to 21.95 per person instead of 19.95 per person as shown on the website. The waiters were very polite and provided excellent service. One suggestion I would make to the restaurant is to have labels for what each of the dishes were in the buffet for people who might have allergies just to know what they are eating or even just to know what the dishes are will be helpful as I overheard many people wondering what the "Dragon Fruit" and Persimmon was. Overall- quality of food was very delicious.Special Features:
- Great food and wine list.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2012Great food and wine list. There was a group having a Christmas party which made it a bit noisy.