BRU Craft & Wurst
1318 Chestnut Street
Philadelphia, PA 19107Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $30 and under
BRU Craft & Wurst
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bruphilly.com/
- Phone: (215) 800-1079
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German, Gastro Pub
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Counter Seating, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant
- Entertainment: DJ's spinning every Friday and Saturday.
A word from BRU Craft & Wurst
BRU Craft & Wurst, a modern American gastropub, meets “indoor German biergarten”, located 3 blocks from the Convention Center in Midtown Village. Featuring 38 American Craft & German drafts, a large bottled beer selection from around the world, and a creative kitchen offering a local interpretation of German favorites.Continued
Bru serves the full menu from 11am ‘til 1am daily and offers 32 American & German drafts, 6 self serve digital tap draft wall, and nearly 100 bottles and cans.
Bru serves the full menu from 11am ‘til 1am daily and offers 32 American & German drafts, 6 self serve digital tap draft wall, and nearly 100 bottles and cans.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
BRU Craft & Wurst reviews from OpenTable diners
14 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
vibrant bar scene (9)fit for foodies (5)good for groups (4)great for lunch (4)hot spot (4)neighborhood gem (4)great for outdoor dining (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (2)late-night find (2)Show More
- The Best WurstTheBehaviorTherapistDined on 11/22/2014Loved this place! cool atmosphere, great food, great service, outstanding beer list. Went with a group while we were in Philly for a conference, had no trouble getting reservations for 5 of us. There are at least 2 spaces- the front of the restaurant where we sat to eat (by Chestnut St.) and the back that is much louder & bar-like (by Drury Ln). All in all, a great fun experience. Would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lively & energetic on a Friday nightJennaDined on 11/21/2014Normally, I don't look for a scene that has the loud, top 40 hits, and remixes. Especially when I just want to enjoy a fine, craft beer while I eat. But Bru made the experience really fun and the servers were extremely fast and friendly. I didn't stay long, because I was in search to unwind with a colleague from my extra-long day at work, but glad I got to visit again and see the place is a hot spot on the weekends. Such a great place to go with friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic spot for a lively evening in the cityJennaDined on 11/19/2014The servers are some of the kindness, friendliest people I have met in Philadelphia. They are prompt, funny, and will be patient to help guide you through the food and beer menus. The food here is always piping hot and ready to enjoy. This has been my 3rd time here and I've only experienced great customer service at the bar, at the tables, and outside. Great location and truly a fun place to visit. Bartender, Chris and barback Timmy are two people who are helpful, friendly, and knowledgeable. Great team that works at this pub.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love coming hereAnthonyVIPDined on 11/8/2014I absolutely love coming here for lunch or dinner. The food is authentic German, and the beer list is appropriately designed. Focus is on German brews, but they offer a wide variety from other regions as well. Service is always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best German Food in MidtownColleenDined on 8/2/2014I am not very picky with food and try almost everything! I have been here twice so far and have never been disappointed! I always get the Bratwurst dish and try quite a few new beers/ciders. The food menu is quite small, but that is because they are bigger with the crafts, which take up nearly 5 pages! I like that there are not too many choices on the food menu, b/c I can never decide what I want and too many options confuse me. Now the craft beer menu might be hard to choose for lovers of craft beers, but don't let that discourage anyone from trying at least 3-5 of them on their visit! There are even some fine German beers you can drink with The Boot glass! I absolutely love this place!!Special Features:
- The following 29 reviews are from the BRU Craft & Wurst reviews archive.
- Great PlaceRobsterDined on 7/28/2014Huge beer list. Excellent appitizers and entrees. Friendly staff. Highly recommended.Special Features:
- Deutsces Essen schmecktBearVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food is fantastic. The potatoes are prepared authentically, the spaetzle is the best we have had in the city, the schnitzel was great, the bratwurst wonderful, the salad had a real German taste and flavor. And the best thing is the beer, but everyone expects the real German beer. All that said, the music is too loud. It not only loud, it is unhealthy. Anyone exposing oneself to such noise pollution for consistently long periods of time will suffer hearing loss some day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRU rah, rah!JohnJanetDined on 7/7/2014Awesome small plates meal, as we shared many morsels. The charcuterie, in particular, was tantalizing tastey.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greeat Beer and Food.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/7/2014I will admit, I liked the bar, but it was a bit noisy for my taste.Special Features:
- Certainly far from GermanloudannaDined on 4/25/2014The choice of wurst was not German. Only had a knock wurst Otherwise they had Chorizo (Mexican), French wurst, Apple wurst (American). No Bratwurst, no Weisswurst? (They are plentiful next door at the Reading Terminal Market). Refused to serve me a portion of chicken liver mousse, even though it was listed on a combination plate. The sauerkraut was acid and from a can. The Dunkelweizen beer was good. The music was very loud, even for lunch. Could not hold a conversation. I miss Ludwig on Samson Street.Special Features:
- Lots of BruJohnPhillyVIPDined on 4/22/2014Amazing beer selection. If you like beer and German food you will love Bru. Nothing like it in Philly. Great concept sure to be around for many years to come!
- German DelightsAnthonyVIPDined on 4/19/2014I enjoyed the Spaetzel for an appetizer, and Schnitzel for entree. I would love to stop back; everything was terrific. The person who I assume to be manager or owner was exceptionally kind and energetic about the restaurant. You can tell he really enjoys the place, and so did I.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, loud musicDiningBooksDined on 4/12/2014As many have written before on other rating sites (yelp, etc), this bar does have some great food and while the interior is quite interesting looking, whomever chooses the music must be near deaf. It is to the point of struggling to have conversation. So, if you're not excited about the rest of the date and just want to have a drink and some music, this is a good place. If you're looking to talk with someone, try somewhere else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quick and EasyTonyVIPDined on 3/25/2014We arrived at the restaurant and were greeted. The establishment was not busy but we were there at 5:45 pm for dinner because we had a show at 7:30 pm. The music is loud so if you are looking for a quite dinner; it is not going to happen. If you are looking for energetic and a bar atmosphere then this is the place for you. Wooden tables and chairs, utensils wrapped in paper napkins, quick and easy meal with good German food but Americanized. All for under 75 dollars with 20 percent tip. Would go back for lunch.
- Only the waitress merited the starsMangiaMangiaVIPDined on 3/22/2014While we were expecting the place to be extremely loud, we were NOT expecting the busboy to carry so many dishes to our table at once that he spilled hot garlic sauce all over my mother and sister. Look, accidents happen, and I understand the young man was probably too mortified to be very articulate or stick around, but it was shocking that the manager did not come over until we asked to see him, and that when he did, he was the picture of nonchalance. Finally, our waitress came over and was appropriately apologetic. Apparently it was not the first time this had happened. She took my mother and sister's meals off the bill. I would go back only if the waitress becomes the manager. Nothing else there was worth a second visit.
- Great Germany Fodcoop1978Dined on 2/15/2014We usually go to brouhaha on south street, but wanted to try something different. Food was excellent and beer selection was quite immense. We got the sausage plate and it was plenty for two of us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/9/2014The bartender was great. The room was very cold and devoid if customers which is maybe why they didn't push the heat up. Almost unbearably cold. The beer selection is very good. The food took a very long time to come out. Bacon and apple flatbed looked and tasted like made with store bought bacon bits. The wursts were not good, would have been better to stick with classics than buffalo chicken with cheddar or maple or Bleu cheese. The potato salad has little taste and the potatoes were not cooked enough. I guess a good drinking place but we were looking for a better pub experience.
- Nice time - good beer selectionCaroVIPDined on 2/1/2014We had a nice time meeting up with a friend from out of town. There was a good beer selection, and we did the sampler combo plate for a little bit of everything. It was a good mix of food and definitely was enough for 3+ people. Toward the end of the night it got pretty busy (but it was a bar on a Saturday night, so it's expected). I noticed bouncers were a little rude to some patrons.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reservations, don't bother!!RedHeadDined on 1/31/2014Hearing wonderful reviews for Bru I made reservations in advance for a party of 10 and confirmed the day before and the day of the reservation. We arrived early for an 8:30 reservation but were not seated until 10 and they squeezed us into a 5 top table! The waitress was nice enough but given that we waited so long and had to squeeze into the table we could have been comped something. The hostess wasn't very helpful or apologetic for the inconvenience. If we weren't such a large group we would have left but given the time we didn't have many options. I most likely will not go back due to the lack of customer service which is a shame since the food is so good. Also, If they cannot handle large groups they should not take the reservation.Special Features:
- blah lunchMPapaVIPDined on 1/6/2014The mussels were great. The pork sandwich was dry and not a lot of flavor. My friend had the lamb kabob and said it was ok. I think if you are going for beer and want a snack, it's ok but don't go just for the food.Special Features:
- DisappointingMadeleineDined on 12/13/2013Staff was nice. It was extremely loud and the bratwurst really wasn't very good, a bit rubbery. Sauerkraut was too acidic. I'm pretty sure the pint glasses for beer were not full pints. Service was slow.Special Features:
- Very LoudrtimmkVIPDined on 12/13/2013I guess the "Do Not Recall" option is there to say that it was so loud that I do not recall anything about the conversations I tried to have. I went here thinking it would be more of a restaurant rather than a large loud bar. I do understand the German Beer Hall motif but in this place it really is just a large loud sports bar atmosphere. The four large screens behind the bar immediately let us know that this was not a place for a laid back dinner. If I wanted to go for a happy hour with people I would rather not talk to too much, this would be the place. It is big, the food is good and you cannot hear the person next to you talking.
- Met a client a BRU for anMellowVIPDined on 12/4/2013Met a client a BRU for an early lunch meeting. Although there were other tables, it was quiet enough to have a conversation. The beer list is fantastic. The service was outstanding, and the food was good. I highly recommend the pretzel app w/ warm cheese, especially if you're having a beer.Special Features:
- AwesomeKButVIPDined on 11/23/2013The food was surprisingly delicious and much more than I expected out of a bar. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good brew and wurstSurfTurfFlyandPieDined on 11/20/2013The food and service were good. Great beer selection. The name implies a German restaurant but it's more of a local bar scene with loud club music.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and BeerjellyDined on 11/16/2013The beer selection is outstanding and the food was all delicious! It is expensive - you can easily throw down $100 for dinner for two people. My biggest complaint is that it is SO LOUD in the restaurant. They seem to be going for a night club experience (they clear the tables out later, so I think late at night it must be a busy bar scene). But for a 7:30 dinner, I don't see why the music needs to be so loud that you have to shout at your date 18 inches away.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Eh, go if you must, skip if you canTheGrunDined on 11/13/2013Food is poor. Decent beer selection, but be careful. On several occasions they served us a 10 oz. pour when it was supposed to be a 16 oz.Special Features:
- bdaybdaygirlDined on 10/26/2013We went with a group of about 15-20 for some apps and drinks. They were very accommodating and got us two picnic type tables next to each other. The food was delicious and the service was great. There is a very, very large beer list, with special seasonal craft drafts, German beers, and plenty of bottles. A good choice for everyone!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but too loud!eshaneDined on 10/4/2013They were out of several things on their beer menu, which was a disappointment. The restaurant was so loud that I had to shout to be heard by the person next to me. The bus staff was extremely rude and repeatedly reached between/in front of us to clear the table with out excusing themselves.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beers are Awesome!ColleenDined on 9/27/2013I originally chose this place b/c the place I wanted to go for restaurant week was booked. I chose well, considering I spent less than Restaurant week and the food was fantastic! I am a huge fan of German food and Bru is now in my top 10 Restaurants in Philly. There is a small food selection of one page, which to me isn't too bad since too many choices confuse me when I am hungry. I want to try it all! BUT.... There are three pages or so of craft beverages, which I like very much. I tried a few to my liking, including a Pear Cider. The waitresses wear an adorable German/American getup with suspenders and are quite nice and accommodating to newbies to German food and craft beers like myself. I plan to return soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4 page Beer menu, 1 page food menuPhillyBeerMom54Dined on 9/21/2013So, Bru seems like a great idea in a good location. The food was good; we especially enjoyed the flatbread w/ bacon and apples. But it is too loud, the service was lackluster, and they lack dessert. However, I may go back, because the beer list is broad and unusual - lots of Europeans and other bottles I've not seen elsewhere. I loved the 1L drafts! However, if beer is not your thing, you can have a better evening out elsewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food & beer, OK servicechristinaVIPDined on 9/18/2013The service needs some refinement, but the beer & food selection and quality is great! Although the menu is authentic German, there are still good options for vegetarians if needed. I think in another month the service will be better, they just need some practice. The hostess seated us, and came by to take away our menus before we even ordered with our waitress. We tried to tell her, but it was so loud in there, she didn't hear us and walked away with everything.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth A Visit For A FewMackieDined on 9/8/2013I have stopped in here twice in the past 2 weeks. I found it to be a perfect spot to order some picky food, sit outside and indulge in their 4 page beer menu. The zucchini and tomato flatbread was exceptional. It looked great and tasted so fresh, which was exactly what I was looking for. My boyfriend got the BRU fries, which is a deliciously, artery clogging combination of fries, bacon gravy and pork sausage. For those of you keeping score - yes, that is 2 different types of pig...and it's delicious. The service there is really fantastic. Both times I have gone our server has been incredibly friendly and always there when you want service. It kind of surprised me because this place has accumulated a crowd for its bar scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Went there on a Friday nightOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/6/2013Went there on a Friday night knowing it would be loud, but never could have imagined how loud. It felt like every time we screamed how loud it was to the person next it us, the DJ upped the volume. My ears were still ringing hours after leaving. The group I was with got the mixed meat plate (it looked impressive but ribs were undercooked and had a strange sweet sauce, potato pancakes were oily and needed salt, sausages were ok but had a slightly off aftertaste, sauerkraut needed to be more sour/aged, other items were just fine) and pretzel (the best I've ever had minus the cheese sauce). Beer selection is great and by far the best reason to go here. I think if I were to go back it would be a weekend afternoon stop for a beer and pretzel.Special Features: