4111 N Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60618Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://browntroutchicago.com/
- Phone: 773-472-4111x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Wednesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Sean Sanders
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Weekend Brunch, Wine
- Special Events: We will be having a farm dinner with Spence Farm, The Stewards of land, and Jennifer Olvera, the author of Food Lover's guide to Chicago.
It will be a three course meal with an amuse for Forty dollars and wine pairings for Thirty dollars. Also, we will be providing complimentary Food Lover's Guide to Chicago
There will be seatings at Seven, and Seven Thirty. Unforunately, we will only be acommodating the farm dinner tonight. We apologize for any inconvenience.
Check our website for further event details.
A word from Browntrout
Browntrout is a comfortable, casual fine-dining experience. We grow our own herbs in our rooftop garden and we use sustainably farmed and/or organic products whenever possible. All our seafood comes from natural waters or sustainable farms. Our meats are all free range animals. We can seat 80 people in our dining room comfortably. We serve the same sustainable food for children as well. We have a large central communal table for large groups. It seats 16 people. We have a full Bar, plus Beer and Wine List.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Browntrout reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (47)fit for foodies (45)special occasion (28)notable wine list (18)romantic (16)kid-friendly (14)good for groups (12)great for brunch (8)hot spot (8)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (2)Show More
- Good food but a slow.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014The food at Browntrout was very good. We had the Mexican Street Corn, the Summer Sausage (good despite appearing slightly undercooked) & entrees of Hanger Steak & Walleye. The biggest problem that overshadowed the good food was the slow service. Our server was enthusiastic & friendly, but my girlfriend & I sat at our table for a good 10 mins before our server stopped to actually talk to us. After that, we waited another half-hour or so for appetizers. We were apologized to several times, but never explained the cause of the wait. Overall, we waited almost an hour between sitting down & getting appetizers. Entrees were equally slow in coming out. Again, the food was well-flavored & prepared, but service could have been faster.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent findtenanDined on 9/13/2014Loved the food and ambiance. I had the tuna appetizer which was delicious. My husband enjoyed the trout dinner which was done perfectly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worth the trip from downtownBaldeglDined on 9/13/2014The wine list is a little on the short side with not too many reasonable options. Same thing could be said for liquor. No Dewars? Every course we had was very good and of a nice proportion. Our service got off to a slow start. We were seated promptly but it took us almost 20 minutes to get a drink. After that service picked-up to average.Special Features:
- Organic foodieEireFoodDined on 8/30/2014Quality of fish was excellent as well as flavor. Service was mediocre. My first impression not friendly and dismissive. Once inside we were seat soon, but waited about 15min. before anyone came over. Finally the same person that seated us came over and was dismissive about my reservation. Her response was sarcastic and dismissive "Well you're here aren't you". Mussels were excellent. Other friend thought portions were too small. I thought the fish portion was fine, but would have have like to have seen more green beans and cauliflower. I found the quality of the seafood very good, but 5 green beans is not acceptable. Going back:MaybeSpecial Features:
- SPECTACULARAntoinetteVIPDined on 8/30/2014Brown Trout was an exceptional experience!! The wait staff was very good, food was well presented; bread was good and very tasty - brown trout and wall eyed pike are a must; dollar oysters for $1 from 5:00 p.m. - 7:00 p.m. is great; ice cream combo was very good. Must try this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious Food, great ambience!NerpachkaDined on 8/29/2014The food was very good, but the alcohol situation was less than pretty. They couldn't make a simple French Martini because they didn't have pineapple juice and the initial wine we ordered was no longer available. Very limited bar...kind of disappointing! The restaurant did comp our drink at the bar, and the wine they recommended was excellent...I would definitely recommend the restaurant because the food was outstandingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodSeanDined on 8/23/2014Really enjoyed our meal. Wait staff was very friendly, food was unique and delicious. Local, sustainable and seasonal. All around good experience.Special Features:
- CozysofiadujourVIPDined on 8/21/2014Love the focus on sustainability and local sourcing. Came in for the oyster happy hour, stayed for many delicious dishes. Mexican street corn had one too many dollops of mayo, but when mixed in, was very good. Trout entree was sensational - perfectly cooked interior and exterior, no fishy flavor. Waiter was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A dissappointmentCaseyDined on 8/16/2014My husband and I went to dinner with two friends, all of us looking forward to new food. The dining menu was limited and portions small. Only one of us enjoyed dinner, the tomato meatball sandwich. Other menu items ordered were the Ramen soup and Pasta, nothing special. I ordered the pan seared pike with beets, cauliflower, broccoli, and beans. Hidden under my pike filet were the smallest vegetables I’ve ever seen; miniscule portions of broccoli and cauliflower florets that were less than an inch in length, barely worth mentioning on the menu. We chose to cut our losses and skipped dessert.Special Features:
- Fried chicken & bluegrass SundaysmiddybDined on 8/10/2014We live in North Center and have to eat at Browntrout more regularly. Kids eat free until 7:00 every night, Sunday 1/2 price wine and so much more. We ate at Browntrout on Sunday for fried chicken & bluegrass. The corn fritters with maple butter were tasty. Lots of fried chicken at the table, trout and walleye. The serving of fried chicken was huge - took half home. My husband said it was even better the next day. The dessert was wonderful and the server recognized us from a few days prior and bought dessert! What a really nice touch. The live music was really great. The band played fun tunes and created a really nice atmosphere for kids and adults. We really enjoy dining at Browntrout!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedDisappointedDined on 8/10/2014The service was very good. The atmosphere was fine. Our appetizer was wonderful. My dinner was a very small portion and not very tasty. Overall I was disappointed.Special Features:
- GarManDined on 8/9/2014Worst meal we have had. The fish (walleye) was overcooked. The five way pork plate items tasted like cardboard. The food had no taste. We didn't even eat either main course. Then we asked for bread. We were served a few "store bought" looking rolls with no butter. The drinks were too strong although we specifically asked the waiter for a fruity version of the cocktails and he said no problem. $150 for 3 without dessert. And this restaurant charged $6.00 for the crummy rolls on top of everything! Unbelievable. Do not recommend and would NEVER return.
- Socially ackward?KajjDined on 8/8/2014The food was really good. Service wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The staff was friendly, but just seemed a little socially ackward when interacting with us. It was a nice leisurely Friday night dinner. I don't think I'd choose this place if I needed to be somewhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SolidClaymarsDined on 8/8/2014Heard about Brown Trout via Check Please. Outstanding. Turned down the music upon request. Whipped up a side dish not featured on the menu without a fuss. Waiter very knowledgeable about menu, sources, etc. All recommendations were well presented, unique without being showy, perfect proportions --- definitely a repeater.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedVoyacomerDined on 7/19/2014After having a couple of excellent meals here, I was expecting the same when I brought a friend for her first Brown Trout meal. We were quite disappointed. Our waitstaff was terrific, but the food was not. It took nearly an hour to get our entrees - and both we're just ok. Fish was overdone. Hope it was an off night, but with so many great places in Chicago, I probably won't risk coming back.
- Excellent ServiceDaNeenerDined on 7/19/2014The staff here were extremely friendly, knowledgeable about the local ingredients used, and made our meal excellent. At one point when they realized they had neglected to serve an appetizer, they brought it out with the entree and comp'd the dish.Special Features:
- Dinner price - lunch/half portionOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 7/12/2014Food was very good. However, the dinner price for trout was for a small lunch portion. The value was indeed bad.
- Loved itMkybsmDined on 6/29/2014Food was incredible. Our six year-old enjoyed the cheese plate right along with us, especially the house-made ricotta. Buttermilk fried chicken was to die for, and the various ways the chef reimagined each dish was inspired. Loved the vegetables no one serves any more...parsnips, turnips, ramps, purslane.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great farm-to-table spotfoodieVIPDined on 6/29/2014tried the fried chicken and the walleye. soooo deleicious. didn't try the wines, but they have a good selection. really really good live band (americana/bluegrass) . great neighborhood spot, i will definitely come back as the menu changes with the seasons ;)Special Features:
- Our new second favorite placeMartaDined on 6/28/2014Food was fantastic except for the mussels. We weren't expecting salt water mussels and they were very briney. The rest of the meal was perfect! Drinks were tasty as well. We're definitely going back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food for kids, too!middybDined on 6/28/2014Went to Browntrout for our anniversary dinner with our 5 year old daughter. We've eaten at Browntrout before but not with our daughter. She ordered the homemade spaghetti and not only did she eat it - like she hadn't had a meal in days - she made 'mmmm, this is so good' noises throughout the meal. My husband and I had a dozen oysters; they were $1/piece! So tasty. The poutine was delicious and somewhat elegant in its presentation. I had the grilled trout roulade which was amazing with crispy skin, fresh peas, broccoli and couscous. My husband had the walleye which was equally as good. Rhubarb fritters with root beer ice cream so good and the homemade ricotta cheese was yummy. Loved it and can't wait to go back again as a family.Special Features:
- Browntrout is outstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/25/2014I went with a friend on a Wednesday night, when Browntrout offers a three course dinner for $35. We split that and ordered an extra salad, and this combination provided us with plenty of food. We especially enjoyed the mussels in a curry sauce, which comes with a side of jasmine rice, a perfect bed for all of the delicious sauce. Service was attentive and efficient. I chose this restaurant after it got rave reviews on Check, Please, and it more than lived up to the accolades that it received on the show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful service, wonderful good!Taybear44Dined on 6/21/2014This spot had a creative and reportedly frequently changing menu! The staff was attentive and enthusiastic about their food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Appetizers for DinnerJohnFDined on 6/21/2014We started with 2 dozen of the super fresh oysters on the half shell ...sweet and salty from New Brunswick; next, a terrific asparagus salad; and then we decided the appetizers sounded too good to pass up ...we were not disappointed. The wood grilled mushrooms with popcorn grits were a terrific surprise. We finished with a 5-cheese board that was the perfect ending. Nice wines and cocktails too. Great, casual atmosphere ...highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth ItnatcatVIPDined on 6/20/2014My boyfriend and I tried Browntrout after seeing it reviewed on Check Please. We were very excited and went on a Friday night. The atmosphere was nice and the menu sounded delicious, however it was not worth they hype. The service was not great, although our waiter was very nice. It took forever to get our appetizers and then about 5 minutes after they were cleared our main courses came out. I ordered fish for my entree and it was the smallest portion I have ever been served, probably 2 ounces. I had to send it back because it was almost raw when I cut into it. In general we thought all the food was bland, lacking salt and pepper. The best part of the meal was the free dessert we got on account of the fish being raw.
- A lovely birthday dinnerDaveinChicagoVIPDined on 6/11/2014My partner and I went here to celebrate my birthday. We both chose the prix fixe option -- appetizer, entree, dessert. We shared a great cheese plate and delicious dinner rolls. I had arctic cod/fingerling potatoes/asparagus and he had trout/polenta/parsnips/sugar peas. Both fish dishes were well prepared. The servings were a good size for one. For dessert, I had the trio of ice creams. The brown butter was amazing!! Our server was friendly but neglected to bring the wine pairing for the second course until my partner was nearly done with his fish (but did apologize for being late with it). My iced sun tea was pale and flavorless -- clearly needing more time in the sun or more tea bags. Still, highly recommended!!Special Features:
- We love this restaurantWonderfulDined on 6/7/2014We've been coming to Browntrout for years. We particularly love to take guests from out of town. The food is great especially the risotto. It's hard to find a dish that isn't wonderful. The ingredients are also fresh. It's a perfect place year round.Special Features:
- Unique Place in Lincoln SquareJacoleVIPDined on 6/1/2014This is definitely one of the more interesting places we have ever dined. We've been here five times and never been disappointed. The menu changes weekly. Hangar steak is great. From the Thursday BYOB to the Sunday night 1/2 price on select wine bottles and the Blue Grass Band, you won't find a better dining experience. Staff is terrific and the owner/chef is always roamiong the dining room to make sure you're enjoying your visit. Can't recommend highly enough.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- hello eggs benedict!!OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 5/25/2014My family had brunch over the weekend and I can confidently say the eggs Benedict is one of the best in the city. They were also very accomdating to our family which included two small children. Outstanding service all around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 705 reviews are from the Browntrout reviews archive.
- We used to love itmmemooDined on 5/18/2014So- a delayed birthday dinner with husband and son and meh. Husbands fish nearly raw, returned and didn't reappear until we had finished our dinners and not until waitress was asked. For the price, fish portion was tiny, salads not great, no free bread? Uncool. Not worth it and it used to be great. It was our go to for friends. What happened to the grilled trout? Generous accompanying vegetables?
- Delicious food, lovely serviceAMBChicagoVIPDined on 5/17/2014I started with the oysters on the half shell, a full dozen and they were fabulous. For my main I had a small plate of mushrooms with a sous vide egg. It was rich, full of flavor and the waiter brought me a few lovely pieces of olive bread to soak it all up. My husband and walleye with asparagus and fingerling potatoes. He said it was perfectly cooked. I ordered a French 75 cocktail to go with the oysters, perfect match. Drinks were reasonably priced, the servings are not large, so order an appetizer and an entree. Our server was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but for the servicebrowntrout1Dined on 5/16/2014Our waitress was extremely bubbly and was training a server. We ordered the tuna appetizer, which was delicious but very small, but before it arrived she apologized that the kitchen had forgotten our order. Soon after we finished it, a second one arrived but we accepted it and agreed to pay for it. Then we had to flag her down to order dinner, again delicious, papardelle pasta and the ribeye. Unfortunately we also ordered a salad which she forgot, didn't even remember us ordering it. We had dessert which was outstanding, trio of ice cream and coffee, which she offered to refill but never did. They did comp us for the second tuna and the dessert, probably because they knew our service was spotty and we did not complain.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day BrunchgraymalkanDined on 5/11/2014Our table of 8 was seated promptly on Mother's Day. Service was a bit slow and relaxed but our server was friendly and helpful. Food was great. Will go back again for dinner next time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mama's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/11/2014Apple fritters were hot and delicious. Eggs Bene had wonderful sauce. Everything prepared well, very nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing ExeriencedineinthecityDined on 5/10/2014We have been to Browntrout before- not sure what was happening on Saturday night. We had an 8:15 reservation and were seated at 9:20. Bartender was overwhelmed and took forever to get us drinks. Food took even longer. The hostess and waiter both apologized a million times but never offered a free drink or dessert. We left the restaurant at 10:30!! Bummer that we won't be coming back.
- Local Gemaps23Dined on 5/8/2014My family took me here for an early Mother's Day dinner. While it is an upscale kind of restaurant, it was still low key enough to bring the kids (age 8) along and had a nice, healthy kids menu. I loved the small plates and that some of the mains came in half sizes - we did a lot of sharing and tasting. The service was impeccable and when the chef saw my son pass his plate to my husband (to do some sharing), he immediately came out to offer him a new dish if he didn't like his choice. How attentive and sweet! Everything we ordered was fresh and delicious and had an interesting twist (the gnocchi was served "dry" with sauces on the side for dipping - it was divine). The whole menu looked tasty, must go back to try more!Special Features:
- another great meal at BrowntrouthazyDined on 5/3/2014We dined here last Saturday evening and were surprised we could get a table at the last minute. They have a great cocktail menu and extensive wine list. The food was delicious. The service seemed to be a little off that evening. It took forever to get our drinks and when we ordered a second they came just as we were finishing dinner. No worry, though, because it took forever to get the bill and the change. We've been here before and the service was unremarkable so I wouldn't let one review of the slow service keep you away. This is a definite must!Special Features:
- Small but big..dssddsDined on 5/3/2014Nice venue..good service and nice vibe. The food was average the portions small and the price was big.
- yum plusagreeneDined on 4/27/2014An overall wonderful experience for Sunday supper with the kids plus music!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unspoiled gemOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014Unspoiled gem - blows my mind this place isn't booked solid but I'm glad, we can always get a table! If I lived in this neighborhood, we'd be regulars...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.