111 Dartmouth Street
Boston, MA 02116Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brownstoneboston.com/
- Phone: 6178674142
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Kelly Snogles
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Full Bar, Private Room, Weekend Brunch
A word from Brownstone
Just like the architecture associated with the surrounding neighborhoods; Brownstone is a classic, stylish but casually elegant wine and martini bar.From young professionals sipping classic martini"s to couples enjoying new American dishes and sampling the latest grape and craft beer. Brownstone is a quaint little retreat that transitions into a happening late night hot spot.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Brownstone - Best Restaurants in Back Bay ›
Brownstone reviews from OpenTable diners
19 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
great for brunch (10)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (8)vibrant bar scene (5)fit for foodies (4)great for lunch (4)kid-friendly (2)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Ok brunchnjgalinwtVIPDined on 10/19/2014We ate here for Sunday brunch. It's mostly an egg menu. The food came out fast. It's large portions, but just average. We didn't find it anything special.
- Great brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014Good table by the window, polite and prompt service, and lots of tasty brunch entrees. Excellent hash browns.Special Features:
- Not a martini barDebbieVIPDined on 9/13/2014Their website advertises themselves as a small plates and martinet bar. I was excited to se the extensive martini menu and was shocked when there was only one to offer! The food was good, upscale comfort food and not too pricey. If you like dessert after your meal, don't go, they only have one option, an ice cream drink!Special Features:
- brunch starKisaDined on 9/7/2014I've been here a few times for brunch and the food is always great. the service was pretty off this time - took a really long time to get the food itself considering there were 3 other tables - never had that happen. but it's easy to overlook that when the food is as good as it is. We got the duck hash and pulled pork benny - staples whenever we come and as usual we weren't disappointed.Special Features:
- No witty title, just love it hereChocoboPieVIPDined on 7/13/2014Boston offers a myriad of delicious brunch options but Brownstone is our tried and true favorite. I've never gotten anything I didn't like and the wait staff never stresses me out or hurries us. I'm supposed to go easy on the carbs and sugars, so it's great that there is a robust omelette section that I can fill with meat and veggies. I like being able to substitute a side salad instead of one of their other (delicious, but high carb) sides.Special Features:
- Nice breakfast findLovetoeatVIPDined on 7/13/2014Cute little breakfast restaurant. Has many TVs for sports and would assume good for lunch. Had special egg sandwich which comes with arugula and a special sauce. Very different and good.others had eggs with pancakes and bacon. Everyone liked.Special Features:
- Wonderful & decadentKirstenrunsDined on 7/9/2014Wonderful gem for foodies and non foodies alike! Had the duck confit sammie. Delish! Exciting drink list and for the area, its incredibly affordable!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The 15 minute Bloody Maryebj100Dined on 7/4/2014Egg sandwich was great but service was horrible. Server would disappear in a lightly served day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 36 reviews are from the Brownstone reviews archive.
- Great BrunchSam12Dined on 6/22/2014Food was amazing you have to get the banana pancakes, they are decedent. The food was a little slow table of 4 came after us and was served before us but our waitress was great and apologized for the wait. The food is priced ver reasonable, would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great little brunch placeWatertownStrongDined on 6/15/2014I don't know why this place isn't more crowded since it's so near Back Bay Station. I found it when my friend missed her train and we had two hours to kill. She ordered the 'hangover special' and I ordered the eggs Sammy. Both were delicious. When I came back with friends, I ordered the crunchy French toast with fried chicken. The chicken portions were small; I could barely see the pieces hidden among the French toast, but it was delicious as well. I felt the portions were generous and the entrees were reasonably priced for a restaurant. I will definitely come back if I'm in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great atmosphereKristenDined on 6/13/2014I really enjoyed Brownstone. I ordered the hummus app and it was delicious. The pita was so good. I then had a flatbread which was also delicious. My friends had the salmon, and scallop app dish as a meal. They raved about both of them. We'll definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodBBooTtooDined on 6/8/2014Good food, but don't go if you're in a hurry. You should sit right away but you will wait a while. Servers are very niceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Brunch findHollangDined on 6/8/2014Enjoyed very much the ambience and the quality of food. Pancakes were more like cake, extremely fluffy. Duck & sweet potato hash & eggs very unusual but tasty. great coffee and nicely spiced bloody marys. All in all a delightful find.Special Features:
- Great Mother's Day BrunchFourkidsmomDined on 5/11/2014The entire family enjoyed Mom's special day!! Delicious food, just the right amount of noise! Loved the mimosaSpecial Features:
- foodluverVIPDined on 5/10/2014A meet up group of mine went here and they were very accomadating with a larger group. The food is on the good and creative side of bar food, almost gastropub-like. We were there on the night the Bruins were playing so I imagine that it's not typically as loud as it was that night. Service was good, but nothing special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great brunch valueOutoftownerVIPDined on 5/10/2014We thought we wanted lunch, but found they do brunch only (on the weekends I assume) until 2 p.m. No bother...it's so affordable, the food quality is high, and the portions are huge! Had the combo ($10), which is two eggs, choice of meat, large serving of potatoes, toast or English Muffin, AND 4 pieces of French toast (or pancakes)! I couldn't finish it, and normally I can put food away! This is one of the best brunch values in town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brownstone BrunchFredVIPDined on 5/10/2014the menu had some really interesting and more unique brunch items including duck/sweet potato hash. I had the pulled pork with mac and cheese sauce and definitely left nothing on the plate- the spicey bloody mary, including bacon was the best! Great service as well.Special Features:
- Birthday brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/24/2014I had a a delightful experience, I don't remember our waitress's name but she was so nice and gave us lunch to remember, beautiful spot! We felt romantic, private yet social too. I had a dessert item of the crunchy french toast for my birthday and I could not have asked for anything more. My boyfriend had a delicous Duck sammy. Defiently going back :)Special Features:
- Okay spot. Nothing special.SoEnderVIPDined on 4/19/2014Four stars for the beer list. The food was nothing special -- the flatbread dough was particularly underwhelming. The bacon parmessan popcorn was pretty good. Service was slow on a night when the place wasn't too full. Nothing bad will happen to you here, but I wouldn't go out of my way.
- Good food but LOUDbostonbecDined on 3/7/2014Brownstone was not what I was expecting at all. The music was very loud, like being in a club, and there were TVs everywhere, like being in a sports bar. My dinner companions and I could hardly hear each other without shouting. For this reason, I wouldn't go back or recommend it as a dinner spot. That said, the food was very tasty, much better than the ambience would suggest. The service was average.Special Features:
- Perfect for the Occasiontime4funDined on 2/23/2014I was meeting a friend from out of town for brunch just prior to her scheduled departure, so location, prompt and attentive service, in an area quiet enough to hear each other were key elements, closely followed by delicious options, and an attractive friendly atmosphere. Three top rated spots were booked up, but Clery's recommended Brownstone. We couldn't have been more pleased. On OpenTable I asked for a quiet spot to catch up so our booth on the upper tier, toward a corner, away from the bar, but with a good view of other happy diners - perfect. Menu options were intriguing, and we settled on Duck and Sweet Potato Hash and Fritata of the day. Delicious! The House Bloody Marys were spicey and well-garnished. I'll definitely return!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- casual pub fareRegulardinerVIPDined on 2/16/2014this is a convenient place for a drink and relaxed meal; it is not gourmet fare, but the food is good and service efficient; my 20 something daughter liked itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentines Dayaim0513Dined on 2/14/2014This was a great place for my boyfriend and I to have our kind of Valentine's day. It was a fun, lively pub, with affordable food, great service and a fun environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- South End FindHarleysMomDined on 2/8/2014We were looking for a place to take our son for his birthday, and stumbled upon Brownstones. The food and service were great. The fact that I could make reservations on a Saturday night were anbonusSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpectedly GoodLindaVIPDined on 2/2/2014I went to brunch this past Sunday. I made a reservation, but the place wasn't very crowded anyway. The food was fantastic. I ordered the chicken and crunchy French toast and ate the whole thing. The chicken was juicy and perfectly seasoned. The French toast was a little bit of heaven. The drinks were really good too. I wish they offered lattes and validated parking. Other than that, I had a positive experience and would go back.Special Features:
- Birthday dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/31/2014We went with a group of 8 people for my brother's birthday and were quickly seated. Service was prompt and they didn't mind when other friends showed up to join. It was extremely loud though and while we were in a celebratory mood (and probably added to the noise level) it's not a place to have a relaxing conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed it a lotBBooTtooDined on 1/26/2014I wil say that the service is slow. Otherwise, though, the service was friendly and complete. The food was really good and it was surprisingly reasonably priced (the equivalent of a Denny's Lumberjack costs $9). The fried chicken and French toast is great if you're looking for something different. The hash browns/home fries are excellent and the coffee is really good. The best part (esp. For the south end) is that we could get a reservation on a Saturday and the restaurant is big and open so you can actually go with a group and not feel cramped.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back Bay Bar for few BucksAdderley3CVIPDined on 1/21/2014Here's a spot in BBY located a few steps from the BBY station. It's location is key as it is easy for those who commute to stop in with friends, grab a bite and beverage, and still make it back to BBY for transit home. Food and service were nice and price was reasonable. A good find along a strip with many choices. The calamari was slightly spicy and the truffle fries were great, which both complimented the Sauvignon Blanc. Hopefully they ail expand the wine by the glass options in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Generally greatBostonDinerVIPDined on 1/9/2014There seemed to be a bit of confusion/lack of clarity among the waitstaff regarding who was supposed to be taking care of us. Because of this, we waited quite a bit after seating, with no apology or recognition. However, once our waitress took our order, we received excellent service. The restaurant was clearly busy, and we appreciated that our server was nonetheless, very pleasant and on top of her game. I wish we could have had the pleasure of having her take care of us as soon as we were seated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Copley bruch optionmom2tristanVIPDined on 12/15/2013We had brunch on a snowy Sunday morning at 10:30am. The place was pretty quiet when we arrived, but got busier as the morning progressed. The menu was relatively small but had a wide variety of options within it. The server was having a rough morning it seemed, but she was professional, even if not cheerful. My husband had the eggs and potatoes with bacon. I had the "Sammy" which was a great breakfast sandwich. The potatoes were excellent. Everything else was solidly above average, including the drinks. I would definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food, more of a barOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 12/13/2013Very noisy with the after work crowd. Food was fine and we had nice serviceSpecial Features:
- Nice Neighborhood RestaurantRobTNHVIPDined on 12/8/2013Had brunch on Sunday. Had all of the basics and a few items that were a little more unusual. I had pulled pork eggs benedict. They were very good. My wife had Frosted Flake coated french toast. It was better than similar dishes we have had at different restaurants. This is a very comfortable neighborhood bar and grill. If we lived nearby I would think we would be there often. Will return for casual dinner sometime.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Casual BreakfastSeelxrVIPDined on 12/1/2013Perfect for a casual brunch/breakfast. Reasonably priced great tasting food and beverages without a formal setting. Vibe was young adult friends getting together, city strollers and "morning after" meal. Great service and friendly environment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TastyJackieAVIPDined on 11/22/2013We had the special appetizer - Korean spiced scallops. Phenomenal! I can't stop thinking about them. I'd also recommend the deviled eggs. The flatbread was disappointing. Don't waste your time there. The menu has incredible options to choose from. You can get flatbread anywhere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good, but...BroadwayDSRDined on 11/10/2013...none of it was hot. Very tasty cream of broccoli soup, but it was tepid. Yummy and properly cooked steak frites, but it was luke-warm. Service was friendly but on the slow side (it the place was almost deserted.)
- Everything was perfect. Hostess,BamaVIPDined on 10/19/2013Everything was perfect. Hostess, managers, servers all very friendly and accommodating. My group had a great time. We were very impressed with everyone's enthusiasm and the food was very good. I would recommend this place to watch sporting events for sure. Good specials, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- back home brunchKL24VIPDined on 10/13/2013After walking by Brownstone for nearly two years we finally decided to try it out for brunch. We were pleasantly surprised. Unlike many brunches we have had in the area the portions were very large and quite affordable. Our group tried everything from omelets & fried eggs to pancakes and waffles, everything was delicious. As someone who judges their breakfast places by their ability to make good home fries, Brownstone did not disappoint. The only problem we had was that for a restaurant that was fairly empty on a Sunday morning, the service was a bit slow. Aside from that, we would definitely recommend Brownstone for anyone looking for a low key well prepared breakfast.Special Features:
- Surprisingly good foodNikkiVIPDined on 9/21/2013I did not realize that this was a bar when I made the brunch reservation. The meal was good french toast, pancakes, salad everyone was presently surprised. If you are looking for a "nice" brunch place this would not be it. It was pretty empty and def dark. More of an evening place.
- Great spot for brunch Sat/SunOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/28/2013The brunch portions were large and surprisingly inexpensive. Great pancakes, omelettes, French toast, and decent coffee.Special Features:
- Took wife and kids there forJillyDined on 5/12/2013Took wife and kids there for Mother's Day. Not what I expected from the description on Open Tables. They served a buffet brunch, cooked the eggs as you like them (they were good), but the buffet could have improved. The ham was dry, the bacon way over cooked, the fruit salad soggy.Special Features: