Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast
1 North Kaniku Drive
Kohala Coast, HI 96743Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fairmont.com/orchid/GuestServices/Restaurants/BrownsBeachHouse.htm
- Phone: 8088852000x7368
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Hubert des Marais
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact hotel for more information
- Private Party Contact: Theresa Benedicto 8088877599x
- Entertainment: Hawaiian solo guitarist nightly
A word from Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast
The AAA Four Diamond award-winning Brown's Beach House is the place for the quintessential island fine dining experience located just steps from shore. Innovative, Big Island inspired cuisine is drawn from simple, pure flavors from locally grown, sustainable agriculture and seafood. Products using the diverse variety of fresh seafood from our island waters redefining the continuing evolution of Pacific Rim, Hawaii Regional, and most recently Big Island Cuisine. Exceptional nightly Hawaiian entertainment by resident soloists and romantic shoreline sunsets at a hand's distance blend naturally with the outdoor open-air seating for a memorable evening under the stars.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast - Best Restaurants in Kohala Coast ›
Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since June 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (63)great for outdoor dining (60)romantic (60)special occasion (54)fit for foodies (33)notable wine list (13)good for groups (5)neighborhood gem (5)late-night find (2)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Romantic dinnerHungrymanDined on 9/25/2014Had my anniversary dinner there. Perfect seating with ocean views and live music playing. Great food, great services what more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view, over-pricedjustifiedDined on 9/22/2014This restaurant has a great view with very good service. The food was well made but I feel I have had better dishes on this island for half the price. While the food was very good it was not impressive. It may still be the best restaurant in the immediate area though.Special Features:
- RomanticOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014Beautiful setting and food delicious. Great serviceSpecial Features:
- Gorgeous and deliciousFoodieinvernessDined on 9/20/2014Perfect setting. Excellent service. Outstanding food. I had the ion which was fabulous! My husband had the lobster - loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a view!NatydDined on 9/6/2014Request seating closest to the water, and get there early enough for the sunset. One of the best and most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. Everything was delightful! Best way to end our honeymoon in Hawaii!Special Features:
- Poki- Too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/4/2014We had a good experience during our meal. It would have been very good, but we felt the Poki was too salty.Special Features:
- Let it beShodo13VIPDined on 9/1/2014Browns serves pretty good food in a setting that is hard to beat. At times it can even be magical. But make no mistake, you pay for the magic. And usually it's worth it for a special night... Unless there's a drunken table next to you requesting acoustic versions of bad 70's songs all night. So, on this night meh. But we'll back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superlativeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/25/2014My husband and I were warmly welcomed and overall had an amazing anniversary dinner at Brown's. Service was perfect- not obtrusive but highly attentive. Everything was just as I hoped it would be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Picked Brown's for our anniversary dinner and were delighted with our choice. Extremely attentive, professional wait staff. Edward paced other meal to us - allowed plenty time to see the magnificent sunset and eat a relaxing meal. Decorating our dessert plate with Happy Anniversary in chocolate script made the experience all the more memorable ! Mahalo for a perfect eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with SunsetFoodieChapVIPDined on 8/10/2014The setting for Brown's is just awesome. Overlooking the water, with a musician for background music. And as the sun sets only in Hawaii is it magic! The food at Brown's is pretty good. A wide selection including land choices. Not an extensive wine collection if I remember right. The only thing keeping them from 5 stars is the amount of flies that were at our table as our food arrived. I have been to other settings like Brown's including Nick's at the Fairmont in Maui. There is something that can be done about the pests.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014A must dine for Big Island. Always our last evening because it is a perfect ending to a vacation in Hawaii.Special Features:
- Lovely experienceSherVIPDined on 8/8/2014We made reservations a month ago and was a bit concerned with the tropical storm. Browns didn't disappoint. The food was fantastic and we didn't feel rushed. Our waiter was knowledgeable and offered us a few options. We will certainly visit again if we ever get to the Big Island again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!HappytravelerVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food at Brown's was amazing and the ambience cannot be beat. The grounds at the Fairmont are beautiful and relaxing. We first came here 5 years ago for dinner and then decided to stay at the hotel based on that experience. The waitstaff is very personable and attentive. First class experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Browns is all about the GreenRRE2400Dined on 8/6/2014Good food. Excellent Service. Way too expensive. $450 with no wine? Too pricey.Special Features:
- HawaiivacationreturneehawaiivacationreturneeVIPDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant was the biggest disappointment to us during our vacation. For starters, the hostess didn't do a good job of welcoming diners and/or taking them to a table in a relatively short period of time. As a result, diners just stood at the door waiting for some kind of acknowledgement. The food was delivered to our table cold. In addition, the people at our table who got seafood said it was the worst meal they had during their two-week vacation in Hawaii. The salads were just OK. We probably would have shook this off a lot easier if this meal wasn't the most expensive meal that we had while in Hawaii. Maybe we hit it on the wrong night, but it didn't come close to some other restaurants that we went to during the same week.
- Best food in the Kahala CoastRaulVIPDined on 8/1/2014Year after year the food and presentation are the highlight of this restaurant with a fantastic setting a few feet from the water inside the Fairmont HotelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 12 straight years of great foodMellomanDined on 7/27/2014Tell people about it every time we are on Island. By far the best service & food on the Island. The view & sunset is also a plus plus rating. Best of the best Mello FamilySpecial Features:
- Perfect everything!KarenDined on 7/21/2014This was our second trip to Browns and again we had an amazing meal. The evening was cloudy and did not give the best sunset but it was still quite nice. Absolutely beautiful view. Food was fabulous. My husband chose Prawns with heads still on. Would not have been my choice, but he really enjoyed them. I had crab crusted Kampachi. It was wonderful. Friends had Ono and enjoyed theirs also. Each couple shared desserts. Our waiter was extremely pleasant and attentive. We could not have asked for a better meal or evening. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice views....not so good foodMadisonDined on 7/20/2014Beautiful sunset views. These guys need to work on providing friendly service. Food was average and steak was not cooked properly. For the price they are charging....we had two other exceptional meals at the Four Seasons....and close to same price. Skip this one.
- Excellent experience.steelerDined on 7/17/2014What a fabulous location-couldn't be better. Romantic with live Hawaiian music being played, sunset came out beautiful. Our waitress was outstanding, as we're all the employees at the Orchid. Food was delicious. Service failure came by wine director, who apparently is too busy or uncaring enough to update his wine list on a daily basis... Ordered two different Pinots from the list only to be told we didn't have that vintage or it was out of stock. Shameful! Such a waste of the guest's and server's time, distracting from the experience. Waitress went above the call to dig around in the cellar to find us an acceptable alternative. Kudos to her!!! Overall an unforgettable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service, food and viewExperienceddinerDined on 7/15/2014What more can you say? Edward, our waiter, was attentive, accommodating, friendly, prompt, efficient and almost prescient in anticipating our requests. Even the support staff was notably exceptional. The food was exceptional in presentation, flavor, quality and freshness of ingredients and temperature. The outdoor location is beautiful and is oriented to capture magnificent sunsets. Don't miss them. The live entertainment during dinner was superior and unobtrusive, but I would relocate the performer so he is not between the patrons and the sunset. The food is on the expensive side, but this is the Fairmont so it was expected, and was worth the cost. It truly is deserving of 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great EveningNYVistorDined on 7/14/2014This is our second visit. Staff was great. my wife has a gluten allergy and the waiter explained which meals could be easily adjusted for her. Everything was perfect. Will come back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Way over pricedM4styleDined on 7/13/2014Food was not good and way over priced! The only good thing is the lovely setting.Special Features:
- Over-priced - with no passionSimonDined on 7/12/2014The food still lacks the spark of innovation and worse still uses the 'hotel service strategy' of a continual set of handoff's between those providing menu advice - ordering, delivering food, removing plates - this results in either lengthy waits, or your plate is taken the moment the silverware touches it for the last time. This lack of continuity and interaction is disappointing in fine-dining experience. Eating at KPC at the Hilton was a similarly overpriced experience. The outside ambience is great and its a great location to have dinner but don't set your culinary expectations high, the food is good, but not great - this is a hotel and staffed that way. Merriman's philosophy is different - try it and feel their passion.Special Features:
- Spectacular sunset dinnerAjayVIPDined on 7/9/2014We went to Brown's for dinner on our last full night on the Big Island and we were delighted with everything about the experience. The location looking west off the Big island can't be beat. The menu was pricey but worth every penny. The service was exquisite. I highly recommend dinner arriving before sunset, reservation is a must, and check the weather first.... There are very few tables indoors so you do not want to go if rain is expected. Besides, the sunset is a big part of the experience.Special Features:
- DfroDined on 7/8/2014We've been going every year for 7 years now and always enjoy our experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good beach DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/5/2014This place is a great romantic beach dinner. Great for sunset.Special Features:
- What a great experiencediverjpVIPDined on 7/2/2014Our waiter Christian was excellent and the food was probably the best we had on this trip. Great setting overlooking the beach.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Did not live up to expectationTexmomVIPDined on 6/27/2014We were disappointed in the pace of the meal, it took way to long for our entrees to be served. The coconut shrimp appetizer was a disappointment as well,surprisingly the shrimp window at the Kings shop was much better!l The view was amazing as well as the beautiful Hawaiian music.Special Features:
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/26/2014Dinner at Brown's Beach House was the perfect end to a wonderful vacation. The view can't be beat, the service was great, and the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Brown's Beach HouseHilogurlDined on 6/21/2014Truly a 4-Star dining experience!!! Server Bruce was most accommodating. He split the Virgin Lava Flow into two glasses for the young guests. Poke was great, but overpriced for $27.00! Chef Ogasawara was kind enough to create a delicious fern shoot pupu because our Mainland guests just love warabi. Kampachi and ono were cooked and seasoned to perfection. Wonderful berried panna cotta. Papaya shortbread went well with the Kona coffee. And because one of the girls was allergic to dairy products, Chef send out a huge strawberry for her as the shortbread was made with butter. Enjoyed watching the sunset, but it was a bit windy when we first arrived. But wind died down the entertainment by Sean Robbins was so relaxing and beautiful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AlanDined on 6/20/2014All tables are outdoors and exposed to direct sun... I would recommend seating just before sunset or later.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!westernnyerDined on 6/19/2014Reserved a table for our honeymoon and couldn't have had a more romantic dinner. The service was exceptional and the staff took every measure to make us happy. Would definitely return. Oceanfront, great food as well.Special Features:
- ambience is not enoughspringValleyCarolDined on 6/13/2014disappointed with the food this time ,and this may explain why only a few tables were filled at 6:30 on a Friday night. Started off with an amazingly good tomato beet salad, along with a very nice assortment of breads . Husband irdered aseafood dish with shrimp, a few barely opened clams, and mussels which had not been de-bearded. it was served in a bowl of broth and sorba noodles and was the most tasteless dish we'd ever had. Recently had a fantastic meal of this elsewhere,making this chef's version even more pathetic. my entree consisted of five one-inch pieces of pale seared ahi type fish drizzled with a wasabi sauce and a few sprigs of garnish and baby bok choy. service was slow and we must have waited 20 minutes fir desert.Special Features:
- PerfectOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 6/5/2014The view, service, food, and live music made for a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Surreal, Perfect DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/5/2014I have had the pleasure of dining here about 5 times in less than a year and a half and this is my favorite restaurant anywhere in the world. From the service to the live sunset singing to the perfection of the dinner combined with amazing sunsets, this experience is surreal. The Kona Lobster is my favorite! Everything on the menu is perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- special nightlifeistooshortDined on 6/4/2014It is hard to equate the ambiance of an oceanside dining experience, waves crashing, soft music, sunset, warm outdoor stting with any other. Add exquisite service and divine food- what more can be said. Highlight of our trip this outingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 742 reviews are from the Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast reviews archive.
- Excellent food, gorgeous sunsetfoodguyDined on 5/29/2014The location, on the beach, is terrific. Wait staff is attentive but not overbearing. Food is delicious, well prepared and well presented. An excellent choice for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great ambience, Unique FlavorsrmbsnikDined on 5/28/2014We dined here for our anniversary. We had reservations and while there weren't many diners, I saw people without reservations being turned away. Sitting down we had a great view of the ocean and were able to watch the sunset while we dined. What a beautiful view. It occasionally sprinkles but not a problem. The food was great and prepared well - very unique Flavors. We had the coconut prawns & Kona coffee braised short ribs for appetizers, the Kampachi & Ono fish for the main dishes and piña colada soufflé for dessert. Also loved the complementart macadamia nut bread they served. The service was great. Staff members were very attentive and we even had two different waiters snap pictures of us at two different times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BrownsMikeDined on 5/23/2014The view was excellent. When we arrived half hour early they found a table for us and we did not have to wait. The service and food was excellentSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.