Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast
1 North Kaniku Drive
Kohala Coast, HI 96743Neighborhood:
Hawaii Regional CuisinePrice: $31 to $50
Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.fairmont.com/orchid/GuestServices/Restaurants/BrownsBeachHouse.htm
- Phone: (808) 885-2000 ext. 7368
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Sunday - Saturday: 6:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Hawaii Regional Cuisine
- Executive Chef: Hubert des Marais
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Please contact hotel for more information
- Private Party Contact: Theresa Benedicto 8088877599x
- Entertainment: Hawaiian solo guitarist nightly
A word from Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast
The AAA Four Diamond award-winning Brown's Beach House is the place for the quintessential island fine dining experience located just steps from shore. Innovative, Big Island inspired cuisine is drawn from simple, pure flavors from locally grown, sustainable agriculture and seafood. Products using the diverse variety of fresh seafood from our island waters redefining the continuing evolution of Pacific Rim, Hawaii Regional, and most recently Big Island Cuisine. Exceptional nightly Hawaiian entertainment by resident soloists and romantic shoreline sunsets at a hand's distance blend naturally with the outdoor open-air seating for a memorable evening under the stars.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast - Best Restaurants in Kohala Coast ›
Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (64)great for outdoor dining (62)romantic (60)special occasion (54)fit for foodies (39)notable wine list (12)good for groups (9)neighborhood gem (7)late-night find (3)hot spot (3)great for brunch (2)kid-friendly (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Lovely outdoor venue and the food was enjoyableBruceDined on 11/16/2014Very pretty outdoor site. Lovely live music. Romantic. Very, very good food. Good service. The best restaurant along the Kailua-Kona coast and much better than any of the other hotel restaurants in Hualalai, Waikoloa or Mauna Lani.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent foodlil1sdrDined on 11/9/2014excellent food and service. Waiter was very knowledgeable. Many vegetarian options..which isn't common amongst nicer restaurants..Special Features:
- Wonderful view and foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/9/2014The service at Brown's is top notch. They are very attentive to your needs, and the food is fresh and delicious.Special Features:
- Great location & service; ok foodRebolishVIPDined on 11/2/2014Service was exceptional and the setting was amazing but the food really missed the mark. We actually preferred the food much more at the bar next door at the fairmont. The views are just as nice as was the service and prices were about about half for better quality food.Special Features:
- RobertHRobertHDined on 10/29/2014Outstanding location great food and service if I am ever back in the area I will book again...elegant yet relaxed.Special Features:
- Say "Yes" to the BEST!!!!!PfosterDined on 10/27/2014We were looking for a place to celebrate our 33 wedding anniversary and the Brown's Beach House was suggested! We've been to many 5 Star Restaurants in our 33 years together but "Nothing" matched all 4 dining experiences as number 1 on our list! Suggestion was to begin at sunset and our suggestion would be the same! The view was breathtaking as we were seated and greeted with incredible service! The waiter made suggestions to what the chef was serving special that night....everything was to die for! Celebration of a lifetime! Mahalo Brown's Beach House!Special Features:
- Great special occasion restaurantdimsumsushigirlVIPDined on 10/26/2014Great food, great service, spectacular sunset views. Definitely try the Grand Marnier soufflé. loved celebrating my 50th birthday at this beautiful place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This place is stunning!!MikeVIPDined on 10/22/2014Take a vacation from your vacation when you dine here. It is an amazing setting, with a fresh table side Ahi Poke that changed my life and ruined me for all other poke experiences. Book this restaurant right now!! It is truly an amazing experience for all of your senses.Special Features:
- Good but sometime very slowKatfoodDined on 10/22/2014Food is always very good but this time it took 40 minutes to get the entrée. We complained with the waiter and the manager was nice to us , he apologized and offered the dessert and coffee. We go there often but this was the first time that happened.Special Features:
- Great and a surpriseRandBDined on 10/17/2014This was a return visit to Brown's. We enjoy the ambiance of an outdoor dining experience. Again the food and service was outstanding. My wife had the coconut shrimp which were cooked to perfection. I had the ahi poke, which was as fresh as it could be. We both had the special Macadamia nut encrusted Opaka ( Pink Snapper) over ginger flavored Jasmine rice ..... phenomenal! But the biggest surprise was the music.... A private party featuring Elton John! What a night!Special Features:
- Best Big Island SunsetOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/16/2014Spent our last evening on the Big Island enjoying wonderful cuisine and a breathtaking sunset!Special Features:
- Nice dinnerKevinDined on 10/11/2014Brown's is located in a beautiful spot on that Kohalo Coast. Seating up front offers a beautiful view of the coast and sunset. Live Hawaiian music was excellent. Bread and butter/aoli combination were great!. Food was wonderfully prepared visually and flavors excellent. Service was great as well!Special Features:
- Favorite Spot1AnnaMariaVisitorDined on 10/10/2014Brown's always delivers. Food, location, ambience and outstanding service. Over two weeks on the Big Island at a Waikoloa Beach resort we will visit Brown's three times. It's an annual part of our time in Hawaii. Highly recommend. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over-pricedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Not great value for the money. Too expensive for the quality of food received. However, our server Brad was excellent.Special Features:
- Don't miss this gem!WestcoastseaDined on 10/7/2014Fabulous restaurant while in the west side of Hawaii. Service impeccable.Special Features:
- dalilah55Dined on 10/5/2014Food was good but I can't honestly remember what I had outside of fresh fish. Great if you like nostalgia of Hawai'i history. A great place to drink Veuve Clicquot champagne and watch the sunset.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionHeadshrinkerDined on 10/3/2014The restaurant was very accommodating when we asked for a waterfront seating for our anniversary. And, the food was Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing!!!CorridasDined on 9/30/2014food was excellent, the view was spectacular and the staff was amazing. They were all so friendly and on top of everything. Clifford was our waiter and he was the best! I never had a dining experience as great as that one. We went back a few days later and requested Clifford because he was that great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic dinnerHungrymanVIPDined on 9/25/2014Had my anniversary dinner there. Perfect seating with ocean views and live music playing. Great food, great services what more could you ask for.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great view, over-pricedjustifiedDined on 9/22/2014This restaurant has a great view with very good service. The food was well made but I feel I have had better dishes on this island for half the price. While the food was very good it was not impressive. It may still be the best restaurant in the immediate area though.Special Features:
- An evening to rememberSeattleVisitorVIPDined on 9/22/2014We dined at Brown's Beach House during our September vacation on the Big Island. It was recommended to us by a local and it did not disappoint. We both took the opportunity to order fresh fish and it was prepared to perfection. Our waiter, Frank, did a great job of taking care of us and the rest of the staff did a superior job of supporting him. The view of the sunset sitting just yards from the beach was beyond compare. Next time we're on the Big Island we'll definitely plan an evening at Brown's again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RomanticBeckyandsteveDined on 9/20/2014Beautiful setting and food delicious. Great serviceSpecial Features:
- Gorgeous and deliciousFoodieinvernessDined on 9/20/2014Perfect setting. Excellent service. Outstanding food. I had the ion which was fabulous! My husband had the lobster - loved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a view!NatydDined on 9/6/2014Request seating closest to the water, and get there early enough for the sunset. One of the best and most beautiful scenery I have ever seen. Everything was delightful! Best way to end our honeymoon in Hawaii!Special Features:
- Poki- Too saltyOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/4/2014We had a good experience during our meal. It would have been very good, but we felt the Poki was too salty.Special Features:
- Let it beShodo13VIPDined on 9/1/2014Browns serves pretty good food in a setting that is hard to beat. At times it can even be magical. But make no mistake, you pay for the magic. And usually it's worth it for a special night... Unless there's a drunken table next to you requesting acoustic versions of bad 70's songs all night. So, on this night meh. But we'll back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superlativeOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/25/2014My husband and I were warmly welcomed and overall had an amazing anniversary dinner at Brown's. Service was perfect- not obtrusive but highly attentive. Everything was just as I hoped it would be!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect celebrationOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/19/2014Picked Brown's for our anniversary dinner and were delighted with our choice. Extremely attentive, professional wait staff. Edward paced other meal to us - allowed plenty time to see the magnificent sunset and eat a relaxing meal. Decorating our dessert plate with Happy Anniversary in chocolate script made the experience all the more memorable ! Mahalo for a perfect eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner with SunsetFoodieChapVIPDined on 8/10/2014The setting for Brown's is just awesome. Overlooking the water, with a musician for background music. And as the sun sets only in Hawaii is it magic! The food at Brown's is pretty good. A wide selection including land choices. Not an extensive wine collection if I remember right. The only thing keeping them from 5 stars is the amount of flies that were at our table as our food arrived. I have been to other settings like Brown's including Nick's at the Fairmont in Maui. There is something that can be done about the pests.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014A must dine for Big Island. Always our last evening because it is a perfect ending to a vacation in Hawaii.Special Features:
- Lovely experienceSherVIPDined on 8/8/2014We made reservations a month ago and was a bit concerned with the tropical storm. Browns didn't disappoint. The food was fantastic and we didn't feel rushed. Our waiter was knowledgeable and offered us a few options. We will certainly visit again if we ever get to the Big Island again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!HappytravelerVIPDined on 8/7/2014The food at Brown's was amazing and the ambience cannot be beat. The grounds at the Fairmont are beautiful and relaxing. We first came here 5 years ago for dinner and then decided to stay at the hotel based on that experience. The waitstaff is very personable and attentive. First class experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Browns is all about the GreenRRE2400Dined on 8/6/2014Good food. Excellent Service. Way too expensive. $450 with no wine? Too pricey.Special Features:
- HawaiivacationreturneehawaiivacationreturneeVIPDined on 8/2/2014This restaurant was the biggest disappointment to us during our vacation. For starters, the hostess didn't do a good job of welcoming diners and/or taking them to a table in a relatively short period of time. As a result, diners just stood at the door waiting for some kind of acknowledgement. The food was delivered to our table cold. In addition, the people at our table who got seafood said it was the worst meal they had during their two-week vacation in Hawaii. The salads were just OK. We probably would have shook this off a lot easier if this meal wasn't the most expensive meal that we had while in Hawaii. Maybe we hit it on the wrong night, but it didn't come close to some other restaurants that we went to during the same week.
- Best food in the Kahala CoastRaulVIPDined on 8/1/2014Year after year the food and presentation are the highlight of this restaurant with a fantastic setting a few feet from the water inside the Fairmont HotelSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 12 straight years of great foodMellomanDined on 7/27/2014Tell people about it every time we are on Island. By far the best service & food on the Island. The view & sunset is also a plus plus rating. Best of the best Mello FamilySpecial Features:
- The following 762 reviews are from the Brown's Beach House - The Fairmont Orchid - Kohala Coast reviews archive.
- Perfect everything!KarenDined on 7/21/2014This was our second trip to Browns and again we had an amazing meal. The evening was cloudy and did not give the best sunset but it was still quite nice. Absolutely beautiful view. Food was fabulous. My husband chose Prawns with heads still on. Would not have been my choice, but he really enjoyed them. I had crab crusted Kampachi. It was wonderful. Friends had Ono and enjoyed theirs also. Each couple shared desserts. Our waiter was extremely pleasant and attentive. We could not have asked for a better meal or evening. We will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice views....not so good foodMadisonDined on 7/20/2014Beautiful sunset views. These guys need to work on providing friendly service. Food was average and steak was not cooked properly. For the price they are charging....we had two other exceptional meals at the Four Seasons....and close to same price. Skip this one.
- Excellent experience.steelerVIPDined on 7/17/2014What a fabulous location-couldn't be better. Romantic with live Hawaiian music being played, sunset came out beautiful. Our waitress was outstanding, as we're all the employees at the Orchid. Food was delicious. Service failure came by wine director, who apparently is too busy or uncaring enough to update his wine list on a daily basis... Ordered two different Pinots from the list only to be told we didn't have that vintage or it was out of stock. Shameful! Such a waste of the guest's and server's time, distracting from the experience. Waitress went above the call to dig around in the cellar to find us an acceptable alternative. Kudos to her!!! Overall an unforgettable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic service, food and viewExperienceddinerDined on 7/15/2014What more can you say? Edward, our waiter, was attentive, accommodating, friendly, prompt, efficient and almost prescient in anticipating our requests. Even the support staff was notably exceptional. The food was exceptional in presentation, flavor, quality and freshness of ingredients and temperature. The outdoor location is beautiful and is oriented to capture magnificent sunsets. Don't miss them. The live entertainment during dinner was superior and unobtrusive, but I would relocate the performer so he is not between the patrons and the sunset. The food is on the expensive side, but this is the Fairmont so it was expected, and was worth the cost. It truly is deserving of 5 stars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.