Brown Bottle Iowa City
115 E Washington St
Iowa City, IA 52240Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Brown Bottle Iowa City
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.iowacitybrownbottle.com/
- Phone: 3193516704
- Payment Options:
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Brown Bottle Iowa City
The Brown Bottle was established in 1972 in Cedar Falls, Iowa by Donald Landau. The Iowa City restaurant opened two years later, with Waterloo following shortly thereafter. North Liberty joined us in 1994, and our most recent addition is Moline, IL (Nov. 2005). The original recipes and sauces were developed by Donnalee Landau. The menu has since been expanded by the four Landau children, who now own and operate the businesses. The name “Brown Bottle” derived from the Schlitz Brewery in the 70’s. They set the standard as the first company to sell beer in brown bottles instead of clear (to extend the beer’s shelf life). A tasting room at the Brewery was named “The Brown Bottle” to help market their new concept. The Landau family copyrighted the name and soon opened the first Brown Bottle Italian restaurant. Over thirty years ago, the quote “Where Good Food, Good Wine and Good Friends Go Together” has been included on the first Brown Bottle menu.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brown Bottle Iowa City reviews from OpenTable diners
- Food was okay but not great.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 3/31/2012Food was okay but not great. Smelled like a basement. I expected more.
- Our dining experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/18/2012Our dining experience was OK. We both ordered steaks cooked medium and they came out rare and had to be sent back. We had to wait a long time for the steaks to come back (and when they did we did not find them to be worth $25) and then for a great deal of time before the waitress brought our check. We were nearly late for the play we were going to.
- Worth the travel time!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/11/2012My husband and I were looking for some good Italian food, but where we live (Davenport), a good dining experience is hard to find. We decided to travel the one-hour drive for a last-minute dinner decision. The food...oh, it was amazing. We were both happy after the salad. It was spectacular. The wine (Cupcake Malbec) was divine too. Then our entrees came, and we were happy as can be. Best veal parmesan in the state. Our waitress was incredibly efficient. She showed up at just the right time with everything. Definitely worth the travel time for us! We'll be doing it again!Special Features:
- Nearly every visit to IowabjengakingDined on 5/14/2011Nearly every visit to Iowa City we try to eat at the Brown Bottle: it's that good!Special Features:
- It was very nice tho it wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/14/2011It was very nice tho it was loud where we were seatedSpecial Features:
- The food was delicious andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/8/2011The food was delicious and it was nice to be able to sit outside and ejoy the nice weather!Special Features:
- We were seated right awayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/2/2011We were seated right away to a great booth, which seemed secluded and romantic. Our mushrooms were outstanding. Both the prime rib & chicken scallopini were fabulous. The atmosphere took a nose dive when a large table of teenagers, that were loud and obnoxious, were sat way to close. Our server was very nice, but I think she struggled a bit with the large table. Overall, we enjoyed great food, but would have loved a more intimate atmosphere.Special Features:
- Yum...I love the garlic chicken.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/12/2011Yum...I love the garlic chicken. I can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Roast beef sandwich was great.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/19/2011Roast beef sandwich was great. The pasta dishes were fairly small, especially for the price. Could have used more. Overall pretty good.Special Features:
- The service staff was wonderful.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/21/2010The service staff was wonderful. The food was amazing as usual!Special Features:
- We always come here afterOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/20/2010We always come here after the Iowa games. Adult dining and mostly our age (55-65). Large and experienced wait staff. They even take reservations following the game!Special Features:
- We enjoyed our evening atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/23/2010We enjoyed our evening at the Brown Bottle very much.Special Features:
- The food was delicious. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2010The food was delicious. The service prompt. The Brown Bottle is a great local restaurant to treat your children while visiting them at Univerity of Iowa. We have been there a few times and will continue to go back.Special Features:
- We arrived early (an hourOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/23/2010We arrived early (an hour before our reservation). They were telling everyone without a reservation that there would be an hour wait. They told us they would try to work us in. Within 15 minutes we were at our table. The food was very good. The steaks were flavorful and tender. The pasta with vodka sauce was very nice. The service was excellent. Our waitress had a table of 14 to take care of, but never forgot our table of 3.Special Features:
- We found the atmosphere toOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2010We found the atmosphere to be very inviting and allowed for very easy conversation. The wait staff did a great job of providing for us and made sure we felt important. They allowed us to converse and came by at appropriate intervals to ensure we were doing well.Special Features:
- We went to The Brown BottleOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/15/2010We went to The Brown Bottle for oue anniversary dinner. It was recommended to us by a friend as their favorite restaurant and i can see why. We both had pastas that were very good and the service and atmosphere was great! The only gripe I might have is that we were sat next to a group of annoying college girls that liked to swear. That wasn't the restaurant's fault. Overall I give it a 9 out of 10 and plan to revisit.Special Features:
- The food and serveice at theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/1/2010The food and serveice at the Brown Bottle were both FANTASTIC! I highly recommend this restaurant. We will be dining there again during our next trip to Iowa City.Special Features:
- Was not very happy with theOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/29/2010Was not very happy with the restaurant overall. The amount paid was not equaled by the service and amenties of the Brown Bottle. A lot of hidden fees. $4.oo extra if you wish to split an entre, $0.75 charge per person if YOU bring your own desert for someone's birthday. Overall, was not very happy with the restaurant. I will not be returning.
- We had a great meal. I wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/6/2010We had a great meal. I was pleasantly surprised at how fresh the salad was. I had the butter shrimp. While I enjoyed this dish, I found the alfredo noodles to be a little on the dry side.Special Features:
- We went for lunch on a SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/29/2010We went for lunch on a Sunday for our anniversary. Great food, reasonable italian restaurant price (for what you are getting). We left with a smile on our face and a full tummy! They have great private like booths as well as seating overlooking the hustle and bustle of the street. The only negative was having to pay for parking at the ramp!Special Features:
- a well rounded menu with superOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/20/2010a well rounded menu with super prices one of iowa city's best places to eatSpecial Features:
- We love the Brown Bottle andbjengakingDined on 8/20/2010We love the Brown Bottle and return here every time we're in Iowa City. This time our waiter really made the meal a success though. Top notch service and friendly attitude throughout the meal.Special Features:
- It was horrible. Took my fianceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/28/2010It was horrible. Took my fiance there for her first time, we were the only ones in the restaurant and the staff was all gathered by the bar. After we were seated, they began talking and gossiping about us?! We could hear them from where we were sitting. We walked out. We will never go back. Unprofessional...
- The service was good, sheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/22/2010The service was good, she was helpful explaining menu items. The food was nothing special. Doubt that I will ever go back.
- We went to Brown Bottle forOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/15/2010We went to Brown Bottle for graduation dinner. The food was great, and our server was outstanding. It was the perfect place to celebrate!Special Features:
- We had a nice meal to celebrateRockJoeDined on 5/15/2010We had a nice meal to celebrate my daughters graduation from the Universery of Iowa. The food was excellent and service was very good. The atmosphere was nice, not real loud so we were able to have a nice conversation. Thanks for the positive experience.Special Features:
- The Brown Bottle was a veryOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2010The Brown Bottle was a very pleasant dining experience for my girlfriend and I on Valentines Day. The food was excellent; just different enough to be notable, but delicious all the same. I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a nice, not too expensive dinner.
- The food was okay and we gotOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2010The food was okay and we got seated in a decent time. I was not very impressed with my portion of the Orange Roughy which I thought was quite small compared to the other entrees my party received. The biggest complaint would have to be the service from our waitress. She seemed either new or out of it especially for being on a Saturday night. She was not very attentive, forgot a few drinks we had to remind her of, and overall poor service from her. Also we ordered the PAESANO BREAD which came with just olive oil and garlic which was not very appetizing that way but just noticed online the description says "served with roasted garlic, extra-virgin olive oil, parmesan cheese, and cracked pepper for dipping."
- Very busy place on the eveOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 2/13/2010Very busy place on the eve of Valentines Day. Probably best to avoid it on such occasions. Waiter tried to rush us through our dinner. We named him Dash, after the character in the Incredibles movie. Shrimp that came with pasta were not full size shrimp, more like popcorn shrimp, and not good. Their Italian sausage, and their pasta are very good. Not a lot of choices in Iowa City, this is an acceptable one. Don't expect fine dining, however.
- The food was very good. TheOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2010The food was very good. The waitreses were also very good and what they did. This was my first time at this Brown Bottle but i enjoyed myself. They were there when the table needed them but also stayed away enough to allow for private and intimate conversation. i would say that the tables were too close together. Granted the table that was making all the noise was a big group this should be taken into consideration.Special Features:
- Our host was sincerely attentiveOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/13/2010Our host was sincerely attentive and did not rush us and made helpful suggestions.Special Features:
- Seated immediately at reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/6/2009Seated immediately at reservation time despite crowd waiting without reservations. Service was excellent and food delicious. Will continue to eat here when visiting again.Special Features:
- Excellent service for ourOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 11/6/2009Excellent service for our party of 12 on a very busy weekend. Food was excellent and our server did an incredible job! One of our favorite places when we visit Iowa City. Will always go back here when we are in town.Special Features:
- Busy Friday evening but ourOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/16/2009Busy Friday evening but our party of 10 was promptly served and follow-up excellent. All very pleased!
- This remains a strong IowaOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2009This remains a strong Iowa City restaurant (from my days at Univ of Iowa in the '80s). Its cuisine has a wonderful/unique Italian flare, that you will accept the 'slightly longer wait time' for your meal, in exchange for the robust flavor and serving sizes. It is moderately priced, however a group of 6 can be well fed for just over $100. Very good service, great meals, moderately/reasonably priced.. a goal that most restaurants strive for.Special Features:
- It's been 15 years since we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/5/2009It's been 15 years since we've been back to the Brown Bottle since we moved out of town. The food is still as great as we remember.Special Features:
- The food was very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/22/2009The food was very disappointing (e.g., ravioli overcooked, prime rib just fair), and not cheap (e.g., to get a loaf of bread for the table had to pay $7!). Very good martinis, though, and it is an Iowa City classic. They gave our large group a nice table tucked away.Special Features:
- This is a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/9/2009This is a great restaurant when you are looking for great food! The atmosphere was perfect and not too loud.Special Features:
- The service was good otherOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/16/2009The service was good other then that it was way over priced for the quality of food! Usually at a italian restaurant bread is served prior to the meal. The only bread was soggy garlic bread served with the meal. I would have rather gone to an olive garden.Special Features: