Brother Jimmy's - Union Square
116 East 16th Street
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Brother Jimmy's - Union Square
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brotherjimmys.com/
- Phone: 2126736465
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Daily: 12:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 1:00am; Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 11:00am - 3:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private dining is available for up to 250 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Daryl Zweben 2122443503x208
A word from Brother Jimmy's - Union Square
Put some South in yo' Mouth! at Brother Jimmy's BBQ located off of Union Square. We serve down home cooking with southern hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brother Jimmy's - Union Square reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (8)vibrant bar scene (4)hot spot (3)great for outdoor dining (2)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)kid-friendly (2)special occasion (1)great for brunch (1)fit for foodies (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Very noisy...SHU3Dined on 10/17/2014Maybe because it was a Friday night. I went there with my family because I had a Amazon Local Voucher. We couldn't hear each other without shouting. The noise level was so loud that my wife was completely turned off. And the layout of our seat was weird and somewhat uncomfortable. It looked like we were forced into a small space between 2 big parties. However, the food was great. We had ribs, burger, fish sandwich, sides include fried brussel sprout, fried okra and tater tots. Our server was very attentive and professional. But we did not enjoy the dinner as much as I would wanted to. It's a great place to hang out with friends or have a drink after work. But not for family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very good BBQsujoDined on 8/26/2014very nice service, excellent cocktails and very good food!Special Features:
- Awesome PlaceGalFromQueensDined on 8/9/2014The food was delicious beyond our expectations. Baby back ribs and omg to die for Mac and cheese, we were a party of 4 and we were all pleased with everything from the lively ambience (tv's everywhere major plus) to the food and great service thanks "Katie" super sweet and great waitress!. I will definitely be returning!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 83 reviews are from the Brother Jimmy's - Union Square reviews archive.
- Horrible FoodAccjgDined on 10/25/2013They must just focus on their bar scene because the food was some of the worst I've ever had. Denny's has better chicken fried steak than they do and the mashed potatoes were basically inedible. The only thing I had that was good was the frozen mango margarita. I will never go back or recommend to anyone.
- DisappointedSuzyQVIPDined on 9/23/2013Went here with a friend and was really disappointed. Margaritas were terrible, the BBQ was very dry. I expect better in NY.
- Good meal but very noisy barSMLSMLDined on 8/27/2013We were there on a Tuesday evening. The dining room in the back was half empty but the noise coming from the bar area was so loud that it was difficult for us to talk. Food was decent, large portions.Special Features:
- Nice placeQueenDined on 8/9/2013My boyfriend and some of our friends dined here 8/9 food was out super fast. We recommend getting the humongous nachos they were excellent. Nice spot to hang out with not kid friendly on the weekendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a great find!! Huge portionsluv2eatoutVIPDined on 7/29/2013What a great find!! Huge portions - we LOVED the nachos and salads!! Waitress could not have been nicer!! and the best part - kids eat for FREE!!!!! We will be back again, and again, and again!!!!!Special Features:
- Who knew???TreenDined on 6/21/2013We went to Brother Jimmy's by way of a deal/promotion, with no particular expectation; neither of us had been before. So we were really psyched that the ribs and sides were so good. Not to mention the margaritas! It was a little loud and the patrons seemed to be mostly college kids, but with BBQ that good, I didn't mind. I'd go back, with or without a deal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty badOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/13/2013Atrocious service but BBQ very good. Server a little slow mentally but lots of tvs to make up for brain dead service. Would go for games where you're comfortable getting up from your table and ordering drinks directly from the bar.
- Dining at Brother Jimmy'sLivetodineDined on 5/12/2013The food was decent, my favorite part was the drinks (good price and strong). My service was good but I had other servers besides our own checking on us, it wasn't that busy where she couldn't check on us more frequently. Overall it was a decent dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Been here several times.travellerVIPDined on 4/15/2013Been here several times. Great deal on Tax Day! Everything was 50% off. Brother Jimmy's was not crowded when we got there, but service was slowish. When it got more crowded, service was very slow. Luckily, I wasn't in a rush. Food is consistent.Special Features:
- Don't expect Brother Jimmy'sOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 3/9/2013Don't expect Brother Jimmy's to turn the sound on for your game even if you went there to watch a game with your meal.Special Features:
- The hostess killed the dininghatecheapfoodVIPDined on 3/1/2013The hostess killed the dining experience... food could be more flavorful. Had better ribs.. .very fatty.
- It was very crowded and loudOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013It was very crowded and loud when I visited, because there was a sport event going on. But the food was very good.Special Features:
- My Brother and Daughter reallyBrooklyniteDined on 1/26/2013My Brother and Daughter really enjoyed that place. I did not know it had many TV with sports. They were happy to eat a meal and not miss the the game.Special Features:
- Loud. Conversation Difficult.lilgerryVIPDined on 1/17/2013Loud. Conversation Difficult. College bar. Crowded. Great for going out with the team or a group, having a couple beers and getting a little rowdy cheering for your team on the TV screens.Special Features:
- this pl was grt. V wantedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/11/2013this pl was grt. V wanted to try fish bowl but v got there late so didnt get to try it. but v'll def come again. Service was grt and delicious food. V had good times there =).Special Features:
- A little too noisy for myOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2012A little too noisy for my taste but the food was excellent. I also appreciated the large soft drink sizes. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Dry food, poor service. No thanks.paligirlVIPDined on 11/21/2012Food was horrible. Tasted like it had been left out all day. Disappointing service. Factory experience.Special Features:
- The southern ribs and friedjgoodman888VIPDined on 11/17/2012The southern ribs and fried brussel sprouts are fabulous - best I've had outside of NC and Memphis.Special Features:
- Food was well worth it forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/16/2012Food was well worth it for the price. $20 per person for two people for a massive meal that could have fed three or four. We got the Pig Pick (Northern, Dry Rub, Pulled Chicken, and Brisket). The Brisket was the only part that wasn't tasty enough to gorge ourselves with. The Wright Salad is well made and gigantic, and the tomato soup equally delicious. Service was a bit slow (rather, there wasn't much attention given to each table), but the waitress was consistently polite and considerate. We went at around 8.30pm on Friday. The bar was packed, with live band and lots of noise. I asked to be put in the back of the restaurant, and it was still considerably noisy.Special Features:
- Good Stuff, Great for Games!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/30/2012Great sports bar - the waitresses / host was SO nice! We mentioned that we were big Giants fans on the phone when we made the reservation and the host saved our group the best seat in the house :)Special Features:
- FYI - Browns fans come toOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2012FYI - Browns fans come to watch football here on gamedays.
- love this restaurant.. myOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2012love this restaurant.. my husband enjoyed his food!
- Shaolin LawyerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2012Brother Jimmy's has lost a step, food wise, over the last ten years. In the past I always recommend Jimmy's for bbq in the city. Now, it is an after thought. Pulled chicken was bland, sides lacked flavor, ribs were disappointing. I once loved the pig pick ... now, it is an overpriced, lackluster app. Average at best for a once great establishment ... perhaps overreaching with so many location and corporate tie-ins.
- Went to celebrate my 21stOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/9/2012Went to celebrate my 21st birthday with a group of High school friends. Had an amazing waitress who gave us a complimentary fishbowl, as well as a piece of Red Velvet Cake with a candle in it(before my friends even got the chance to request a bday dessert for me). Had an awesome time. The fishbowls are yummy and fun to share, the nachos are AMAZING, and the cake was good. Went back a little over a year later to catch up with friends, most of them arrived much later than me and another friend, waitress was great about making our wait time easier. Great staff in this place.Special Features:
- Great BBQ Keeps me Carolina DreaminJchiguy1VIPDined on 7/8/2012Fun down home NYC BBQ chain serves great food in a fun atmosphere. Service is efficient but can be a bit scattered. Watch your bill carefully. Otherwise you can't go wrong with great ribs, chicken, sandwiches, sides and unbelievable sauce. Can be noisy at peak times and/or during sporting events. Go early for lunch or dinner for a much more civilized experience,Special Features:
- As always, only went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2012As always, only went there for the ayce wings/rib tip Monday night special. There's better bbq in New York, but when watching sports with a group of hungry guys, this is a good option.Special Features:
- Brother Jimmy's is your average,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/26/2012Brother Jimmy's is your average, run-of-the-mill franchise bbq joint. There are locations littered about New York, and the food is good, but definitely not something you'll ever get a craving for. There are two reasons to go there, and both involve consuming food and drink to excess: they are one of the few places where you can get pitchers of mixed drinks (up to 2.5 gallons of punch), and on Monday nights they have an all-you-can-eat wings/rib tips and all-you-can-drink bud/bud lite. If there's a big game, or you're a big group, or if you just really love wings, this is the place for you on Monday nights.Special Features:
- The food at Brother JimmysJasonKVIPDined on 3/22/2012The food at Brother Jimmys throughout the city has gone down hill terribly in the last few months. Bro Jimmys was never a place to go for quality BBQ, it was simply a place to watch the games with friends and have food better than your average bar fare. With dry brisket, tasteless ribs, average buffalo wings and watered-down sauces - we're all better off going to the local sports bar for the same experience.Special Features:
- The staff at the door wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/9/2012The staff at the door was absolutely awful - lost in their own world & completely didn't care that you were there. Apart from that, the food, drinks and service inside were FANTASTIC! Our waitress was phenomenal and very quick to check that we were doing okay. If you're getting a table, bear with the airheads at the front, because you'll definitely have a great time otherwise!Special Features:
- I had a really great time!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/2/2012I had a really great time! Definitely try the Swap Water. It packs a punchSpecial Features:
- I love brother Jimmy's!! WhenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/29/2012I love brother Jimmy's!! When you want some appetizers and nice big drink this is the place to be! There BBQ is pretty good may need a lil more seasoning but tasty for the most part!! Try the swamp water with some shots on the side for you and ur friends a guaranteed kicker!! :)Special Features:
- Drink prices were ridiculousOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/10/2012Drink prices were ridiculous and misleading!! Would have never paid that much for a drink that they consider a double in a regular size glass, and there was definitely not double the alcohol. That was really the only negative.Special Features:
- delicious BBQ, especiallyCMRNYCDined on 12/24/2011delicious BBQ, especially for a chain. Great place to watch sports.Special Features:
- Brother Jimmys was great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2011Brother Jimmys was great! Portions are huge and the service was excellent. I would definitely return!Special Features:
- Great food & service but muchLizzieB730Dined on 12/22/2011Great food & service but much too noisy. However, we went during Christmas week so maybe it's not always quite as loud.Special Features:
- Very lively place. Food iseramorrisDined on 12/21/2011Very lively place. Food is good, service is good, but sometimes your waitress gets lost for a while. DON'T go during the playoffs - you won't be able to hear!!
- Great place to catch the gameOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/18/2011Great southern food, great bar scene, great place to catch the game. If you can handle the noise and the crowds, this is the place for you!Special Features: