Brother Jimmy's - Murray Hill
181 Lexington Avenue
New York, NY 10016Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Brother Jimmy's - Murray Hill
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brotherjimmys.com/
- Phone: 2127797427
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 1:00am, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am, Sunday: 5:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Barbecue
- Executive Chef: Bob Devine
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Delivery, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let Brother Jimmy's cater your next event! Including: Private Parties, Corporate events, Picnics, Special Events, Theme parties, and Holiday Parties.
- Private Party Facilities: Our "Back Porch" is the perfect place for all your party needs. There's seating for approximately 50 guests and standing room for over 100 guests. The "Back Porch" has its very own full service bar.
- Private Party Contact: Daryl Zweben 212-244-3503
A word from Brother Jimmy's - Murray Hill
Put some South in yo' Mouth! at Brother Jimmy's BBQ located in Murray Hill.Continued
We serve down home cooking with southern hospitality. We also serve as the home away from home for all ACC alumni.
We serve down home cooking with southern hospitality. We also serve as the home away from home for all ACC alumni.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brother Jimmy's - Murray Hill reviews from OpenTable diners
6 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.3Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (4)vibrant bar scene (4)kid-friendly (3)great for outdoor dining (3)great for lunch (2)neighborhood gem (2)late-night find (1)hot spot (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Large portions priced rightMark4VIPDined on 7/12/2014The baby back ribs were large and very meaty. They tasted great the Mac & cheese was to die for. Next time I will get a full order. The corn bread was the best I ever tasted. Great friendly service. A fabulous dinning experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 46 reviews are from the Brother Jimmy's - Murray Hill reviews archive.
- Shocking servicesuthersVIPDined on 4/11/2014Shocked with how poor the service was.After asking the host twice to send our server over as nobody approached us within 20mins of sitting down we finally got our server.Beers & food ordered we were relaxed at that point. Our wings arrived before our drinks and then when our drinks arrived we got draft beer when we ordered btl beer(having spelt BOTTLE to her as she looked cluelessly at us).Wings were tasty but chicken sandwich was drier than dry.When it came to the bill the mgr promised to comp a round of drinks & then take "something" off the food whatever that mean't but when receiving the bill naturally we were charged for everything.Seriously, how hard is it to take an order, drop off beer & then check in to see if everything is ok!!?
- Loved itPrincipessaCDined on 3/29/2014I already loved Brother Jimmy's but this rainy Sunday night def didn't stop the people from enjoying themselves. My country fried steak was great as usual and my waitress made sure I was taken care of the whole time. I can't wait to go back with some of my friends I see who can finish their fish bowl first ha !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night outfoodloverDined on 3/8/2014If your looking for a nice spot to enjoy yourself with a group of friends this is where you need to be. Great BBQ food and drinks.Special Features:
- BBQ delightfamilyDined on 1/29/2014If BBQ is what you want, BBQ is what you get at Brother's Jimmy. The Tater Tots are awesome! The ribs are mouth watering.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Crazy good foodTatesbugVIPDined on 1/28/2014If you're in the mood for great, home cooked BBQ there is nowhere finer. And all the staff are friendly and welcoming. It just makes you feel good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved the live bandkattyr3Dined on 1/10/2014Brother Jimmy's is a favorite and we had a great time this last friday. Really enjoyed the live band!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beer and meeting ppl placeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/15/2013Good place to see games, grab a beer and talk out loud with friends. This is not a fancy place and you are not looking for it there but the food tastes really good, and plates are big. the only thing that is bad is the service, the bar cant handle the huge amount of people that go there, so it is really hard to order. besides that all good. tksSpecial Features:
- Non-SantaConOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/14/2013The food was great at Brother Jimmy's. Excellent barbecued wings and burger. Unfortunately, the night we went was SantaCon and the place was overrun by a horde of Mr. & Ms. Clauses and Elves in various states of inebriation. High decibel level that night. Nevertheless, except for a couple of accidental smashed bottles of beer, there were no untoward incidents and I would probably check it out again, on a less raucous evening. The service was unexceptional, but OK. I cut them some slack due to the fact that they were swamped with an overwhelming amount of revelers.
- tasty brisketmagzDined on 10/30/2013Lean brisket is just right, not fatty but moist and chewy. Well-done room, friendly staff. This is a solid BBQ option. We will return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loud, slow, overly spicy.PBfoodieVIPDined on 10/6/2013If you're looking for a loud sports bar with slow service and don't care if you can taste the food underneath the pepper and hot sauce, you'll love it. Even the veggies have so much pepper they were inedible to me. Ordered pulled chicken with fried okra and blackeye peas. Peas were horrendous, so I asked for mashed potatoes. I was finished by the time they arrived, but was glad I didn't wait. The peppery white gravy on them meant they too were just awful. Won't be back..
- Yummy & ConvenientTLMpegasusVIPDined on 10/2/2013Truly a great spot to unwind with friends. Prices, Service and Food Quality are exceed expectations. Server very attentive and personable. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service overall, waitressOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/31/2013Poor service overall, waitress was no where to be found. Why is there a bouncer for dinner service? It is crazy that they charge for a side of salad dressing, when salad is ordered as the main course.Special Features:
- Ok barbaqueaaaaDined on 7/21/2013This wasnt the worst food i've eaten but it was far from the best. I guess it would be ok for a quick meal but there was a significant lack of flavor in everything we ordered except for the fried brussel sprouts. They were great but too salty. Service was good. Food served a little too quickly-- we got the nachos before we got the drinks. But the place was fairly empty on a Sunday night so i guess the kitchen was able to move quicklySpecial Features:
- Great Food, Good PricesSeanskaVIPDined on 7/15/2013This is a reasonably priced BBQ restaurant that provides very good food, with a good portion size, for a reasonable price. This was my first time there. I had the brisket which was phenomenal. The fries were ok (similar to Dallas BBQ if you've been there) and the mac 'n' cheese was pretty good (not great). I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- Great ribs - Sloooow serviceEndeavourVIPDined on 7/3/2013This places does BBQ pretty well, enough so that I will put up with the load and loaded 20-somethings that typically pack the place. But the service was so painfully slow I don't see myself going back.
- Food was delicious....veryOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/5/2013Food was delicious....very casual setting but great for a quick bite or drink in NYCSpecial Features:
- Wasn't that busy and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/17/2012Wasn't that busy and service was slow. Also happened to be the night that they stopped serving PBR, which was slightly disappointing.
- The food was excellent. IOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/29/2012The food was excellent. I would definitely go again.Special Features:
- We went there for the reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/14/2012We went there for the reasonably priced drinks and BBQ and were not disappointed! The fishbowl drink (Pond Water, I think) was tasty, as was my pulled pork sandwich with macaroni and cheese!Special Features:
- Most of the food was not consumed.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 5/23/2012Most of the food was not consumed. Very bland food. The fish and chicken dishes were dry. Friendly and good service.Special Features:
- Great food, great drinks,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/21/2012Great food, great drinks, down home BBQ specialties, fun waitresses and great views of the street of Murray Hill . Awesome for people watching and celebrating with friends.Special Features:
- Kids eat free!happyfoodieDined on 4/14/2012This was an excellent choice for a family, the staff were friendly and helpful, the food great, and the big screens the kids and dads happy. We went for dinner, but it looked like the bar had a great vibe also. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Colorful, fun, down to earthOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/24/2012Colorful, fun, down to earth and fantastic comfort food. I wouldn't go there if I was on a diet.Special Features:
- Good spot to have comfortOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/25/2012Good spot to have comfort food. Food was yummy and filling.Special Features:
- brother jimmy 's is a winnerpokesyaDined on 1/11/2012great food, fun great sounding audio system good looking waitressesSpecial Features:
- Back again to introduce someOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/31/2011Back again to introduce some friends to Brother Jimmy's before a show at MSG. could not have picked a better spot. Great food, drinks and out waitress was stellar. Go there to have some tasty BBQ and a few pickle back shots, and you won't regret it!Special Features:
- I was more satisfied withdannylovebitwDined on 12/6/2011I was more satisfied with the Brother Jimmy's near Penn Station, but this location still delivered the goods. Portions are never an issue, as you will NOT leave this place hungry. Two times I have visited this location, and two times I, an admitted dessert fanatic, have had to decline dessert. All of the ribs are delicious and our glasses were never left unattended long enough to even be half empty. Great place!
- Busy! Loud but fun; even onDeBklnDined on 10/11/2011Busy! Loud but fun; even on a Tuesday night. Huge portions of really good Northern-style BBQ. Tasty appetizers. Good selection of beers on tap. Fast service- got our drinks before deciding on apps, meal came before finishing our wings. Dessert is great but you probably won't have room. BTW, slammin' Buffalo chicken sandwich if you don't want a full entree.Special Features:
- The barbecue itself is nothingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/19/2011The barbecue itself is nothing special, but Monday nights they do have all-you-can-eat wings/rib tips and all-you-can-drink beer for $20. Perfect for Monday night football.Special Features:
- Had a very good time ad wouldOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/6/2011Had a very good time ad would definetly reserve for a group event in the future.Special Features:
- Goof american bbq. Our waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/24/2011Goof american bbq. Our waiter was extremely friendly and the restaurant even comped a round of shots for us (we were celebrating someone's 21st). Food took awhile to come ou but thats because someone ordere fried chicken which evidently takes 20min to come out but at least it's freshly made. And after dinner we continued drinking at the bar which has cheap drinks!Special Features:
- Hidden brunch gem in Murray Hillrikuniaku97Dined on 5/8/2011The ribs were almost perfect. Buffalo wings were fine too. A good spot to know for a quiet brunch in Murray Hill.Special Features:
- Frat-like bar at night, middlingsimontnycVIPDined on 4/4/2011Frat-like bar at night, middling BBQ. I have had the Blackened Catfish (eh) and the Country Fried Steak (good.)
- I came here on a SaturdayOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/5/2011I came here on a Saturday night with 3 other friends to watch the UNC vs. Duke game. First of all I'm not quite sure why they seat Duke and UNC fans together, but ok. I ordered their Chopped Cobb House Salad because when I had it at their Union Square location and it was spectacular. However, over here it was not so good. I mean it tasted ok, but the chicken was not as huge and the lettuce was not really chopped, more like sliced. Also, strange to complain about this, but there wasn't enough salad. I know I'm being picky. :) Drinks were good. Service was ok. The waitress came by 6 times in the 2 hours we were there. Conclusion: I would come here for another game, but will probably try one of the other Brother Jimmy's before heading ovSpecial Features:
- A barbecue joint with multipleNicknameVIPDined on 2/16/2011A barbecue joint with multiple TVs tuned to sports stations. Food's okay. Beer's cold. No surprises.
- Even though on Opentable,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 2/16/2011Even though on Opentable, restaurant refuses to take Opentable Dining Cheque (was confirmed by several employees creating an embarrassing dining experience).
- A lively restaurant with greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/12/2011A lively restaurant with great service. Despite visiting on a busy Saturday night, we were served quickly and efficiently. Good choice of barbecue food, ribs were delicious and portions were generous. Cobb salad was tasty and fresh. We liked the separate dining area away from the bar crowd which meant you could have a conversation without compromising the atmosphere.Special Features:
- I have heard about this restaurant,CapriessenceVIPDined on 1/1/2011I have heard about this restaurant, and finally tried it. The bbq ribs are really good and one must try the pulled pork. I tried many bbq restaurants in the city, and this is now my favorite so far. When we went, the atmosphere was very loud since there were college games on, so not sure if it is always like this, but I will definitely go back as the food was great.Special Features:
- Great Spot to watch the game!MSPMomDined on 11/30/2010Great spot for Sunday Football ... Basically all sporting events. Crowded, highly recommend making a reservation in advance for a table before game day!