Brother Jimmy's BBQ
416 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Brother Jimmy's BBQ
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brotherjimmys.com/
- Phone: 2129677603
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 12:00pm - 1:00am, Dinner: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Put Some South in Yo' Mouth and Book Your Party at Brother Jimmy's or Let us bring the party to you! Choose from a variety of packages or we can customize one for you.
- Private Party Facilities: Put Some South in Yo' Mouth and Book Your Party at Brother Jimmy's or let us Bring the party to you! Choose from a variety of packages or we can customize one for you.
A word from Brother Jimmy's BBQ
Put some South in yo' Mouth! at Brother Jimmy's BBQ located on 8th Avenue and 31st Street. We accept reservations for parties up to 12 guests. Please call us if you need a larger party booking. Reservations require a $10 food per person minimum.Continued
We serve down home cooking with southern hospitality. We also serve as the home away from home for all ACC alumni.
We serve down home cooking with southern hospitality. We also serve as the home away from home for all ACC alumni.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Brother Jimmy's BBQ reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (16)great for lunch (14)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (7)neighborhood gem (6)special occasion (4)fit for foodies (3)great for brunch (2)late-night find (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- AmazingNBAFanaticDined on 8/22/2014Came to Jimmy's with a bunch of friends prior to the US vs Puerto Rico game @ MSG. Amazing food and service. Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find near MSG!!!TneckMOMVIPDined on 7/14/2014This was a wonderful discovery near Madison Square Garden -- perfect before a concert! The burgers were outstanding, the hushpuppies and fried green tomatoes appetisers were delish, drinks were great. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good food, convenient to MSGBklyngalDined on 7/8/2014Really great food here, it's become our go to place whenever we go to MSG. Looking forward to next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazingDivineDineDined on 6/8/2014The food here is amazing. I would definitely recommend to anyone who loves flavorful food and good drinks. The price is also reasonable. Please try the Mac and Cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveNYCDined on 5/31/2014I have been to this restaurant several times before and was a big fan of it. After my experience on Saturday, I am no longer a fan. We waited quite a long time for someone to take our drink order. They ran out of ribs so we had to order something else. One of my guests asked for a condiment from 2 people and no one ever brought it to the table. The next time I am in NYC, I will be sure no to choose Brother Jimmys for dinner again.
- Dependable BBQMikeTsVIPDined on 5/27/2014Always consistent, good BBQ. Big crowd for Rangers games.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014I am a fat kid at heart and when I have days when I am craving BBQ this is definitely a spot I would love to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@CMEFDNYDined on 5/22/2014@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Next door to Penn StaJacksgrammyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Decent BBQ in NYC! Convenient to Penn Station and actually decent bbq. The brisket sandwich was really good and the baby back ribs hit the right balance of tender and toothy. The sides were great. We saw a lot of plates of fried chicken go by and everyone seemed happy to eat them. If this location works for you, do not pass this up for lunch or a casual dinner. The service was very good and the menu has something for everyone.
- Always a good time!SD1234Dined on 5/11/2014The food is amazing! Very relaxed atmosphere. I typically end up being there once a year and I have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- The following 121 reviews are from the Brother Jimmy's BBQ reviews archive.
- Great Food - Awesome DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014Great food!!! Awesome BBQ Sauce. It was a little spicy. The drinks were awesome and the price was reasonable. Better than I expected.Special Features:
- Lets Go RangersCMEFDNYDined on 4/30/2014good place to go b4 Rangers Games ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Special Features:
- Good SpotMainEaterVIPDined on 4/27/2014Was a little disappointed ran out of alot of the basics. But with another attempt maybe will be better.Special Features:
- Disappointing!HungryNYCDined on 4/26/2014I have been to Brother Jimmy's locations, including this one near Penn Station, several times in the past few years. The experience has always been enjoyable up until this time. Everything seemed to be a problem: patrons around us waited for service, drinks and food; myself and a friend waited about 20-25minutes just to get our appetizer. That was after the drink I tried to order (that is pictured on the restaurants website) was "no longer available." Despite asking the server to give time between the appetizer and entrees, the entrees came during the appetizer. My entree was not what i ordered and when i inquired, I was told they didnt have that item anymore, yet i wasnt told this at the time i ordered it. Shame on you Brother Jimmy's.
- Great call on my partMatteTaupeDined on 4/18/2014This is the 3rd Brother Jimmy;s location I've dined at. They all serve very good food. This is a great location for pre-event dining it you are headed to MSG. The second floor dining room is just enough city view to be interesting. The group I dined with thanked me all night for making the choice and using OpenTable to score the reservation.Special Features:
- MixedChrisDined on 3/26/2014Went Wedesday night before Rangers game. Seated at 6:40 for 8pm game so had plenty of time. Ordered drinks and apps to start. Drinks came reasonably quick and we then ordered main courses. After around 30 minutes we still had no food. Waitress came over and apologized for the delay saying the kitchen was backed up. She said they would knock 50% off the food bill. We got our entrees a few minutes later but apps never came. We cancelled apps, finished our meal and went to the game. Food was good as always, management did the right thing so I will be back. Anyone can have a bad day.Special Features:
- game night res. not honoredmadmaxVIPDined on 3/23/2014I made an Open Table reservation on a Knicks "game night." It was confirmed by Open Table. When I got there they said they don't honor them. "Open Table gave you the reservation but we don't honor those on the day of a game. Sorry." We had to put our name on the list and wait. If you want to make a reservation on the day of a Rangers or Knicks game, make it elsewhere if you want to be assured a table.
- Don't BotherknickfanDined on 3/23/2014Recently we had a reservation for dinner before a basketball game. When we arrived at the restaurant we were told that they would not be able to seat us for at least 5-10 minutes. A minute later the hostess (who was doing her best) was told by her manager that we would not be seated for at least 20 minutes. According to the manager the reservation only gave us the right to wait for a table, it did not mean we should expect to be seated at the time of our reservation. Needless to say we left and went down the street to a pleasant Sports Bar (Cafe 31)- where the service was much more accommodating and pleasant. We won't be going back to Brother Jimmy's any time soon.
- A grea change of paceTheSteakFiendDined on 3/21/2014Great smoked brisket - the mac and cheese is some of the best in the city - good prices - dinner for 2 with beers $50. Great location across from the garden. Will be going back very soon!! - Suggest making a reservation to avoid waitSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood PlaceSMLSMLDined on 3/12/2014Nothing special but a decent neighborhood place to meet friends on the way home from work. Food is okay but nothing special. Fast service. Decent prices. Very noisy downstairs in the bar, more congenial noise level upstairs in the back. I'd go back again.
- Just OKFLtravlerDined on 3/7/2014We were recommended by a friend. Both had brisket, it was extremely fatty and the sides were just OK. With so many other options, just skip it. Great service though!Special Features:
- Great place to go before a Knicks gisiredDined on 3/7/2014Great place to go with kids before a Knicks game. Got seated quickly, attentive service, and they knew your heading to the gave do make sure you're wrapped up in time, if you want to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a great spot if you wantWalisVIPDined on 3/4/2014It's a great spot if you want to grab a bite before a show or game at MSG.Special Features:
- Great Time For a BBQChristopherDined on 3/1/2014This was my first at Brother Jimmy's BBQ and I did enjoy it! I went with my friend and the service was fantastic, We ordered Buffalo wings for appetizers and they were absolutely amazing. Our actual dinner meals weren't that great though, I had the Dry Rub Ribs and while they were good, they lacked flavor; My friend said the same about her Country Fried Steak - Overall, the food was good but it wasn't as great as I expected. I would go back to try other things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good timekmotDined on 2/24/2014brother jimmys is simple food at a reasonable price. always fun to come here after work or before a game.Special Features:
- DelishKellyDDined on 2/18/2014I went here before heading to the Garden for a game -- it's a little touristy but good for bar food and snacks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great serviceStitcher22Dined on 2/16/2014We were dining with friends from Chicago who were in town for Toy Fair. Our server was great. Food was great as well, however when it came to dessert, this location was out of everything. I understand that it was a Sunday night and perhaps it was a busy weekend, but I think whoever does the buying, should revisit their ordering process.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Que... Ambience Not So MuchCee74LDined on 2/16/2014My first impression upon walking into the place, was the food must be good, since I did n't see an unhappy face in the restaurant and they obviously did n't spend alot of money on the ambience. I and my buddy sat at a very tight table for 2. To visualization... I'm about 5'10" roughly 220, not exactly a smaill guy and when my buddy and I, pulled up to the table our knees touched. I personally feel 2 people need more space to eat, especially Bar B Que. Between the elbow room for eating ribs and the plates alone. After 2 entree plates, 4 sides, 2 glasses of Sweet Tea and 2 glasses of water, there was literally no room for anything else. TIP: Do not sit near the bussing station on the 2nd fl, it could be quite noisy. But the Que is Phenominal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date night at Jimmy'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014The hostess was welcoming and warm upon arrival. Our waitress was a bit lacking in service, but the food was good. My date loved the Brother Jimmy's burger and the sweet potato fries. My dry rub ribs were delicious, but they had very little of the heat I was expecting. The drink selection was larger than many other comparable places and I enjoyed a cold brew with my meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We missed our reservationOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/7/2014We missed our reservation and the table was given away but they found a table for us very quickly and it was very much appreciatedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great locationwifesabrucefanVIPDined on 2/3/2014The restaurant is across the street from Madison Square Garden and Penn station. Food is above average for BBQ fare. Music is loud and the place gets packed before a Garden event. Make a reservation in advance if you don't want to wait for a table. Prices are moderate for the areaSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- True Southern BBQ on 31st & 8thL0vr2eatNYVIPDined on 2/1/2014Best southern food in Manhattan. The bar scene mixed with their restuarant creates a great scene. The good quality is unbelievable. I will Defintely be going back to try more.Special Features:
- Casual food1forribsDined on 1/29/2014The food was ok not great but it's all right for a very casual dinner. Best thing it's across the street from MSG!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Right by Madison Square GardenSonnyVIPDined on 1/26/2014This restaurant reminds me of the South. The wings were excellent along witht the fried pickles. Being from the south, when I stepped into the restaurant I thought I had already returned home from my trip. Great wait staff. A small place but they utilze the space well. Worth the trip - especially if you like Carolina pulled pork and asweome ribs!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MEAL BEFORE A GAME AT MSGMETGUARDVIPDined on 12/23/2013THE BBQ RIBS NORTHERN STYLE WAS GOOD. THE MAC CHEESE LACK THE CHEESY TASTE BUT WAS OK. THE WAIT STAFF ARE VERY NICE.TSpecial Features:
- On a day when it was extremelySteveDined on 12/22/2013On a day when it was extremely busy we were seated and served promptly. The food was excellent in terms of quantity and quality.Special Features:
- Delicious BBQDebbieDined on 12/21/2013I went to Brother Jimmy's after a Knicks game in a group of 6. I had the pulled pork and the sweet potato fries and they were delicious. Everyone in my group loved their food. The frozen margaritas were very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad DayAlanDined on 12/19/2013We had reservations that we were late for (due to craziness in NYC) and when we checked in we were told that we would have to wait a little while. This was fine as it was our fault (or at least not theirs). After waiting 40+ minutes we were seated in tiny table in the extremely crowded bar. Others that were there after us without a reservations got seated before us. That was in the main restaurant as well. Disappointed.
- Just okayspiderguyVIPDined on 12/18/2013The location is clearly the best part. My girlfriend and I shared the pulled pork sandwich, which was quite yummy, though we did have to ask the waitress to bring us BBQ sauce (shouldn't that be on the table already at a BBQ joint?). The rest of our food was adequate. The major complaint I have is with our seating -- our table was wobbly, and guests and servers frequently bumped my chair as they tried to get past me to other tables. I understand limited space issues, but that was a bit much (and just to clarify, I'm a very slim person, and we also had a reservation in advance, so it's not like they should've been scrambling to find a table for us). This probably sounds overly negative - the overall experience was actually pretty good.
- inexpensive and quick optionGeomanVIPDined on 12/18/2013close to MSG , good bar . Food was OK for price , clearly not the best BBQ around but decent value for NYC .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.