Brother Jimmy's BBQ
416 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Brother Jimmy's BBQ
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brotherjimmys.com/
- Phone: (212) 967-7603
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 12:00pm - 1:00am, Dinner: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Put Some South in Yo' Mouth and Book Your Party at Brother Jimmy's or Let us bring the party to you! Choose from a variety of packages or we can customize one for you.
- Private Party Facilities: Put Some South in Yo' Mouth and Book Your Party at Brother Jimmy's or let us Bring the party to you! Choose from a variety of packages or we can customize one for you.
A word from Brother Jimmy's BBQ
Put some South in yo' Mouth! at Brother Jimmy's BBQ located on 8th Avenue and 31st Street. We accept reservations for parties up to 12 guests. Please call us if you need a larger party booking. Reservations require a $10 food per person minimum.Continued
We serve down home cooking with southern hospitality. We also serve as the home away from home for all ACC alumni.
We serve down home cooking with southern hospitality. We also serve as the home away from home for all ACC alumni.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Brother Jimmy's BBQ reviews from OpenTable diners
48 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (23)vibrant bar scene (16)great for lunch (15)hot spot (14)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (11)late-night find (4)special occasion (4)kid-friendly (4)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Good and reasonable.McarrDined on 11/4/2014We had the chicken wings special and rib tips, they were celebrating their 25 years. Between drinks and food $40.00 for two is not bad at all!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot before going to MSGLiam461VIPDined on 11/3/2014The service is excellent. Especially if your in a hurry. It is very good BBQ food. Nice selection of beer to choose from.Special Features:
- Food quality/serviceLDCCrewDined on 10/29/2014Appetizers were good but entrees were dry/overcooked. Did not feel rushed and wait staff was courteous.
- Good Bar hear MSG, nothing specialJoergDined on 10/26/2014Although the hostess was rather rude, our waitress, Julia, made up for it. We basically went there for drinks, I had the Sunday special, ribs and beer all u can have, which was a great deal at the end ;-) Ribs were good, Budweiser was, well, Budweiser Would go there again, although there are other sports bars I'd rather go to
- Good food and slow serviceEllePVIPDined on 10/25/2014Being a southerner myself, I have a weakness for Carolina BBQ and an unquenchable thirst for sweet tea, so I'm always up for trying out restaurants that try to replicate these things. The verdict on Jimmy's is better than I thought it would be - the Carolina BBQ was vinegary and the briskey was overdone but still delicious. The sweet tea was diabetes inducing (which I consider this to be near perfection). Things that were lacking - the cornbread was dry as a bone, like it'd been made the night before. The waitresses were slow almost to the point of ignoring their tables. It was fairly busy but not slammed, yet my water glass remained empty for basically the entire meal. I would have given 4 stars but the snail like staff was infuriating.Special Features:
- slowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014we told them we had 1.5 hours till an event at the Garden, and the food took along time and the bill came just in time for us to run in as the show started. it's literally across the street, but a little unnecessary stress.Special Features:
- Brother Jimmy's Is GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Brother Jimmy's is a great, convenient location for any event at the Garden. It is always a fun place to go.Special Features:
- jaxxDined on 10/11/2014Fun loud sports bar. Very good food. Great for watching a game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for TravellersOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/10/2014I met out of town friends here. They were all in love with the food and would definitely come back again. The sauces were awesome, cornbread was moist, spinach dip just right.Special Features:
- Brother JimmysJP1255Dined on 10/6/2014A good place to grab some comfort southern style food. Favorites include Ribs, Pulled Pork, Wings, and Burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to watch sportsSoFl2BosVIPDined on 9/21/2014We had a large group meet for lunch at the Brother Jimmy's on 8th Avenue. The food was good -- thought nothing special, and the waitstaff was very nice. We sat on the first floor in the back and were able to watch football games on 6 or 7 TVs. I would definitely go back for another casual/fast lunch in the city during football season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible waitressesXx11Dined on 9/19/2014We were missing 1 person in our party but they Didn't want to seat our party or let us wait inside even though there were more than 10 open tables and we had reservations and we were willing to order for our friend who was running late. Rude waitresses. Nice bar tenders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!!!!pg113Dined on 9/13/2014Saturday's dinner was fabulous. Loved the southern ribs!Special Features:
- Not the best barbecue in NYC!1foodiefrompaDined on 9/13/2014Rib tips were tough. Blackened catfish sandwich had a horrible foul taste. Greens were light colored and tasteless Cornbread was good Pulled pork & chicken were good Mac n Cheese was just ok. Service was slow and waitress never brought our change which turned into her tip (she didn't get a cent more)..Special Features:
- hostess not so accomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014I made reservations on line but when I got to the restaurant 5 minutes earlier I was told I could not have my table until my whole party was there. The other 2 couples were on the way buti was told that over and over that i would have to wait for my tabel it was policy. I never saw that policy when I booked or I would have made sure we were all arriving at the same time After complaining a bit I was told to wait at the bar and she would talk to the manager about having us get our table. When we finally got to our table upstairs (1 couple short they were on their way but stuck in Brooklyn) the room upstairs was pretty available with lots of empty tables? Not sure why we wee put off for 45 minutes?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQBrianMVIPDined on 9/2/2014Enjoyed the restaurant. Solid bbq, meat had great flavor. I'd prefer a stronger vinegar based option sauce, theirs is thin. Also sat upstairs on a hot day and the AC was way too weak. Sweated through dinner.
- Put some South in 'yo mouth...RaediggaDined on 8/31/2014So, I like Barbecue, long walks, gentle rain and cuddling with popcorn and a movie... Oh, sorry let's get to the review, I had a good time with a friend over some BBQ and drinks recently. The noise level was very manageable and that was on a Friday night. Tables of couples on dates and friends hanging out made it lively but livable. The food is so ON, I don't particularly care for the small side portions but the main entrees are a good size. The collard greens are have just enough texture not to be too chewy but certainly not soggy. I'm king of old fashioned and I'm used to my Southern greens being boiled to tissue paper consistency but I'll give it to Jimmy's theirs is still good. I had a specialty drink called the Charlotte Tea and I'd consider making that @ home for parties... Overall the food is not to be missed mostly. The plates are satisfying and the sides are too small and service is basically a catch as catch can and you get what you get however they're all friendly and helpful but some are definitely more attentive than others. And if you like to be left alone then this place will work for you. One more thing, Jimmy! Can we get some ice for the water and "real" water glasses too?!?! Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingNBAFanaticDined on 8/22/2014Came to Jimmy's with a bunch of friends prior to the US vs Puerto Rico game @ MSG. Amazing food and service. Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 131 reviews are from the Brother Jimmy's BBQ reviews archive.
- Great Find near MSG!!!TneckMOMVIPDined on 7/14/2014This was a wonderful discovery near Madison Square Garden -- perfect before a concert! The burgers were outstanding, the hushpuppies and fried green tomatoes appetisers were delish, drinks were great. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good food, convenient to MSGBklyngalDined on 7/8/2014Really great food here, it's become our go to place whenever we go to MSG. Looking forward to next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was amazingDivineDineDined on 6/8/2014The food here is amazing. I would definitely recommend to anyone who loves flavorful food and good drinks. The price is also reasonable. Please try the Mac and Cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveNYCDined on 5/31/2014I have been to this restaurant several times before and was a big fan of it. After my experience on Saturday, I am no longer a fan. We waited quite a long time for someone to take our drink order. They ran out of ribs so we had to order something else. One of my guests asked for a condiment from 2 people and no one ever brought it to the table. The next time I am in NYC, I will be sure no to choose Brother Jimmys for dinner again.
- Dependable BBQMikeTsVIPDined on 5/27/2014Always consistent, good BBQ. Big crowd for Rangers games.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014I am a fat kid at heart and when I have days when I am craving BBQ this is definitely a spot I would love to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@CMEFDNYDined on 5/22/2014@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Next door to Penn StaJacksgrammyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Decent BBQ in NYC! Convenient to Penn Station and actually decent bbq. The brisket sandwich was really good and the baby back ribs hit the right balance of tender and toothy. The sides were great. We saw a lot of plates of fried chicken go by and everyone seemed happy to eat them. If this location works for you, do not pass this up for lunch or a casual dinner. The service was very good and the menu has something for everyone.
- Meets expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014VIPDined on 5/15/2014Brother Jimmys is just what you expect - beer, wings, burgers & sport. If you want somewhere to hang out on a weekend with other sports fanatics, its your perfect pick. Dont expect big things from this place, it delivers on all the things you go to a bar for.
- Always a good time!SD1234Dined on 5/11/2014The food is amazing! Very relaxed atmosphere. I typically end up being there once a year and I have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Food - Awesome DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014Great food!!! Awesome BBQ Sauce. It was a little spicy. The drinks were awesome and the price was reasonable. Better than I expected.Special Features:
- Lets Go RangersCMEFDNYDined on 4/30/2014good place to go b4 Rangers Games ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Special Features:
- Good SpotMainEaterVIPDined on 4/27/2014Was a little disappointed ran out of alot of the basics. But with another attempt maybe will be better.Special Features:
- Disappointing!HungryNYCDined on 4/26/2014I have been to Brother Jimmy's locations, including this one near Penn Station, several times in the past few years. The experience has always been enjoyable up until this time. Everything seemed to be a problem: patrons around us waited for service, drinks and food; myself and a friend waited about 20-25minutes just to get our appetizer. That was after the drink I tried to order (that is pictured on the restaurants website) was "no longer available." Despite asking the server to give time between the appetizer and entrees, the entrees came during the appetizer. My entree was not what i ordered and when i inquired, I was told they didnt have that item anymore, yet i wasnt told this at the time i ordered it. Shame on you Brother Jimmy's.
- Great call on my partMatteTaupeDined on 4/18/2014This is the 3rd Brother Jimmy;s location I've dined at. They all serve very good food. This is a great location for pre-event dining it you are headed to MSG. The second floor dining room is just enough city view to be interesting. The group I dined with thanked me all night for making the choice and using OpenTable to score the reservation.Special Features:
- MixedChrisDined on 3/26/2014Went Wedesday night before Rangers game. Seated at 6:40 for 8pm game so had plenty of time. Ordered drinks and apps to start. Drinks came reasonably quick and we then ordered main courses. After around 30 minutes we still had no food. Waitress came over and apologized for the delay saying the kitchen was backed up. She said they would knock 50% off the food bill. We got our entrees a few minutes later but apps never came. We cancelled apps, finished our meal and went to the game. Food was good as always, management did the right thing so I will be back. Anyone can have a bad day.Special Features:
- game night res. not honoredmadmaxVIPDined on 3/23/2014I made an Open Table reservation on a Knicks "game night." It was confirmed by Open Table. When I got there they said they don't honor them. "Open Table gave you the reservation but we don't honor those on the day of a game. Sorry." We had to put our name on the list and wait. If you want to make a reservation on the day of a Rangers or Knicks game, make it elsewhere if you want to be assured a table.
- Don't BotherknickfanDined on 3/23/2014Recently we had a reservation for dinner before a basketball game. When we arrived at the restaurant we were told that they would not be able to seat us for at least 5-10 minutes. A minute later the hostess (who was doing her best) was told by her manager that we would not be seated for at least 20 minutes. According to the manager the reservation only gave us the right to wait for a table, it did not mean we should expect to be seated at the time of our reservation. Needless to say we left and went down the street to a pleasant Sports Bar (Cafe 31)- where the service was much more accommodating and pleasant. We won't be going back to Brother Jimmy's any time soon.
- A grea change of paceTheSteakFiendDined on 3/21/2014Great smoked brisket - the mac and cheese is some of the best in the city - good prices - dinner for 2 with beers $50. Great location across from the garden. Will be going back very soon!! - Suggest making a reservation to avoid waitSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood PlaceSMLSMLDined on 3/12/2014Nothing special but a decent neighborhood place to meet friends on the way home from work. Food is okay but nothing special. Fast service. Decent prices. Very noisy downstairs in the bar, more congenial noise level upstairs in the back. I'd go back again.
- Just OKFLtravlerDined on 3/7/2014We were recommended by a friend. Both had brisket, it was extremely fatty and the sides were just OK. With so many other options, just skip it. Great service though!Special Features:
- Great place to go before a Knicks gisiredDined on 3/7/2014Great place to go with kids before a Knicks game. Got seated quickly, attentive service, and they knew your heading to the gave do make sure you're wrapped up in time, if you want to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.