Brother Jimmy's BBQ
416 8th Avenue
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
BarbecuePrice: $30 and under
Brother Jimmy's BBQ
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brotherjimmys.com/
- Phone: 2129677603
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 5:00pm - 12:00am, Saturday: 12:00pm - 1:00am, Dinner: 12:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Southern, Barbecue
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Dancing, Delivery, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Put Some South in Yo' Mouth and Book Your Party at Brother Jimmy's or Let us bring the party to you! Choose from a variety of packages or we can customize one for you.
- Private Party Facilities: Put Some South in Yo' Mouth and Book Your Party at Brother Jimmy's or let us Bring the party to you! Choose from a variety of packages or we can customize one for you.
A word from Brother Jimmy's BBQ
Put some South in yo' Mouth! at Brother Jimmy's BBQ located on 8th Avenue and 31st Street. We accept reservations for parties up to 12 guests. Please call us if you need a larger party booking. Reservations require a $10 food per person minimum.Continued
We serve down home cooking with southern hospitality. We also serve as the home away from home for all ACC alumni.
We serve down home cooking with southern hospitality. We also serve as the home away from home for all ACC alumni.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBarbecue
Brother Jimmy's BBQ - Best Restaurants in Midtown West ›
Brother Jimmy's BBQ reviews from OpenTable diners
37 reviews since June 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.8Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (14)hot spot (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (6)neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (6)late-night find (3)special occasion (3)great for brunch (1)Show More
- slowOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014we told them we had 1.5 hours till an event at the Garden, and the food took along time and the bill came just in time for us to run in as the show started. it's literally across the street, but a little unnecessary stress.Special Features:
- Brother Jimmy's Is GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/12/2014Brother Jimmy's is a great, convenient location for any event at the Garden. It is always a fun place to go.Special Features:
- jaxxDined on 10/11/2014Fun loud sports bar. Very good food. Great for watching a game.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for TravellersOpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 10/10/2014I met out of town friends here. They were all in love with the food and would definitely come back again. The sauces were awesome, cornbread was moist, spinach dip just right.Special Features:
- Brother JimmysJP1255Dined on 10/6/2014A good place to grab some comfort southern style food. Favorites include Ribs, Pulled Pork, Wings, and Burgers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place to watch sportsSoFl2BosVIPDined on 9/21/2014We had a large group meet for lunch at the Brother Jimmy's on 8th Avenue. The food was good -- thought nothing special, and the waitstaff was very nice. We sat on the first floor in the back and were able to watch football games on 6 or 7 TVs. I would definitely go back for another casual/fast lunch in the city during football season.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Terrible waitressesXx11Dined on 9/19/2014We were missing 1 person in our party but they Didn't want to seat our party or let us wait inside even though there were more than 10 open tables and we had reservations and we were willing to order for our friend who was running late. Rude waitresses. Nice bar tenders.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy!!!!pg113Dined on 9/13/2014Saturday's dinner was fabulous. Loved the southern ribs!Special Features:
- Not the best barbecue in NYC!1foodiefrompaDined on 9/13/2014Rib tips were tough. Blackened catfish sandwich had a horrible foul taste. Greens were light colored and tasteless Cornbread was good Pulled pork & chicken were good Mac n Cheese was just ok. Service was slow and waitress never brought our change which turned into her tip (she didn't get a cent more)..Special Features:
- hostess not so accomodatingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014I made reservations on line but when I got to the restaurant 5 minutes earlier I was told I could not have my table until my whole party was there. The other 2 couples were on the way buti was told that over and over that i would have to wait for my tabel it was policy. I never saw that policy when I booked or I would have made sure we were all arriving at the same time After complaining a bit I was told to wait at the bar and she would talk to the manager about having us get our table. When we finally got to our table upstairs (1 couple short they were on their way but stuck in Brooklyn) the room upstairs was pretty available with lots of empty tables? Not sure why we wee put off for 45 minutes?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BBQBrianMVIPDined on 9/2/2014Enjoyed the restaurant. Solid bbq, meat had great flavor. I'd prefer a stronger vinegar based option sauce, theirs is thin. Also sat upstairs on a hot day and the AC was way too weak. Sweated through dinner.
- AmazingNBAFanaticDined on 8/22/2014Came to Jimmy's with a bunch of friends prior to the US vs Puerto Rico game @ MSG. Amazing food and service. Will come again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find near MSG!!!TneckMOMVIPDined on 7/14/2014This was a wonderful discovery near Madison Square Garden -- perfect before a concert! The burgers were outstanding, the hushpuppies and fried green tomatoes appetisers were delish, drinks were great. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Good food, convenient to MSGBklyngalDined on 7/8/2014Really great food here, it's become our go to place whenever we go to MSG. Looking forward to next time!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 129 reviews are from the Brother Jimmy's BBQ reviews archive.
- Food was amazingDivineDineDined on 6/8/2014The food here is amazing. I would definitely recommend to anyone who loves flavorful food and good drinks. The price is also reasonable. Please try the Mac and Cheese.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LoveNYCDined on 5/31/2014I have been to this restaurant several times before and was a big fan of it. After my experience on Saturday, I am no longer a fan. We waited quite a long time for someone to take our drink order. They ran out of ribs so we had to order something else. One of my guests asked for a condiment from 2 people and no one ever brought it to the table. The next time I am in NYC, I will be sure no to choose Brother Jimmys for dinner again.
- Dependable BBQMikeTsVIPDined on 5/27/2014Always consistent, good BBQ. Big crowd for Rangers games.Special Features:
- Awesome!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/24/2014I am a fat kid at heart and when I have days when I am craving BBQ this is definitely a spot I would love to go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@CMEFDNYDined on 5/22/2014@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Next door to Penn StaJacksgrammyVIPDined on 5/17/2014Decent BBQ in NYC! Convenient to Penn Station and actually decent bbq. The brisket sandwich was really good and the baby back ribs hit the right balance of tender and toothy. The sides were great. We saw a lot of plates of fried chicken go by and everyone seemed happy to eat them. If this location works for you, do not pass this up for lunch or a casual dinner. The service was very good and the menu has something for everyone.
- Meets expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/15/2014Brother Jimmys is just what you expect - beer, wings, burgers & sport. If you want somewhere to hang out on a weekend with other sports fanatics, its your perfect pick. Dont expect big things from this place, it delivers on all the things you go to a bar for.
- Always a good time!SD1234Dined on 5/11/2014The food is amazing! Very relaxed atmosphere. I typically end up being there once a year and I have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great Food - Awesome DrinksOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/3/2014Great food!!! Awesome BBQ Sauce. It was a little spicy. The drinks were awesome and the price was reasonable. Better than I expected.Special Features:
- Lets Go RangersCMEFDNYDined on 4/30/2014good place to go b4 Rangers Games ...........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................Special Features:
- Good SpotMainEaterVIPDined on 4/27/2014Was a little disappointed ran out of alot of the basics. But with another attempt maybe will be better.Special Features:
- Disappointing!HungryNYCDined on 4/26/2014I have been to Brother Jimmy's locations, including this one near Penn Station, several times in the past few years. The experience has always been enjoyable up until this time. Everything seemed to be a problem: patrons around us waited for service, drinks and food; myself and a friend waited about 20-25minutes just to get our appetizer. That was after the drink I tried to order (that is pictured on the restaurants website) was "no longer available." Despite asking the server to give time between the appetizer and entrees, the entrees came during the appetizer. My entree was not what i ordered and when i inquired, I was told they didnt have that item anymore, yet i wasnt told this at the time i ordered it. Shame on you Brother Jimmy's.
- Great call on my partMatteTaupeDined on 4/18/2014This is the 3rd Brother Jimmy;s location I've dined at. They all serve very good food. This is a great location for pre-event dining it you are headed to MSG. The second floor dining room is just enough city view to be interesting. The group I dined with thanked me all night for making the choice and using OpenTable to score the reservation.Special Features:
- MixedChrisDined on 3/26/2014Went Wedesday night before Rangers game. Seated at 6:40 for 8pm game so had plenty of time. Ordered drinks and apps to start. Drinks came reasonably quick and we then ordered main courses. After around 30 minutes we still had no food. Waitress came over and apologized for the delay saying the kitchen was backed up. She said they would knock 50% off the food bill. We got our entrees a few minutes later but apps never came. We cancelled apps, finished our meal and went to the game. Food was good as always, management did the right thing so I will be back. Anyone can have a bad day.Special Features:
- game night res. not honoredmadmaxVIPDined on 3/23/2014I made an Open Table reservation on a Knicks "game night." It was confirmed by Open Table. When I got there they said they don't honor them. "Open Table gave you the reservation but we don't honor those on the day of a game. Sorry." We had to put our name on the list and wait. If you want to make a reservation on the day of a Rangers or Knicks game, make it elsewhere if you want to be assured a table.
- Don't BotherknickfanDined on 3/23/2014Recently we had a reservation for dinner before a basketball game. When we arrived at the restaurant we were told that they would not be able to seat us for at least 5-10 minutes. A minute later the hostess (who was doing her best) was told by her manager that we would not be seated for at least 20 minutes. According to the manager the reservation only gave us the right to wait for a table, it did not mean we should expect to be seated at the time of our reservation. Needless to say we left and went down the street to a pleasant Sports Bar (Cafe 31)- where the service was much more accommodating and pleasant. We won't be going back to Brother Jimmy's any time soon.
- A grea change of paceTheSteakFiendDined on 3/21/2014Great smoked brisket - the mac and cheese is some of the best in the city - good prices - dinner for 2 with beers $50. Great location across from the garden. Will be going back very soon!! - Suggest making a reservation to avoid waitSpecial Features:
- Neighborhood PlaceSMLSMLDined on 3/12/2014Nothing special but a decent neighborhood place to meet friends on the way home from work. Food is okay but nothing special. Fast service. Decent prices. Very noisy downstairs in the bar, more congenial noise level upstairs in the back. I'd go back again.
- Just OKFLtravlerDined on 3/7/2014We were recommended by a friend. Both had brisket, it was extremely fatty and the sides were just OK. With so many other options, just skip it. Great service though!Special Features:
- Great place to go before a Knicks gisiredDined on 3/7/2014Great place to go with kids before a Knicks game. Got seated quickly, attentive service, and they knew your heading to the gave do make sure you're wrapped up in time, if you want to be.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's a great spot if you wantWalisVIPDined on 3/4/2014It's a great spot if you want to grab a bite before a show or game at MSG.Special Features:
- Great Time For a BBQChristopherDined on 3/1/2014This was my first at Brother Jimmy's BBQ and I did enjoy it! I went with my friend and the service was fantastic, We ordered Buffalo wings for appetizers and they were absolutely amazing. Our actual dinner meals weren't that great though, I had the Dry Rub Ribs and while they were good, they lacked flavor; My friend said the same about her Country Fried Steak - Overall, the food was good but it wasn't as great as I expected. I would go back to try other things.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always a good timekmotDined on 2/24/2014brother jimmys is simple food at a reasonable price. always fun to come here after work or before a game.Special Features:
- DelishKellyDDined on 2/18/2014I went here before heading to the Garden for a game -- it's a little touristy but good for bar food and snacks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, Great serviceStitcher22Dined on 2/16/2014We were dining with friends from Chicago who were in town for Toy Fair. Our server was great. Food was great as well, however when it came to dessert, this location was out of everything. I understand that it was a Sunday night and perhaps it was a busy weekend, but I think whoever does the buying, should revisit their ordering process.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Que... Ambience Not So MuchCee74LDined on 2/16/2014My first impression upon walking into the place, was the food must be good, since I did n't see an unhappy face in the restaurant and they obviously did n't spend alot of money on the ambience. I and my buddy sat at a very tight table for 2. To visualization... I'm about 5'10" roughly 220, not exactly a smaill guy and when my buddy and I, pulled up to the table our knees touched. I personally feel 2 people need more space to eat, especially Bar B Que. Between the elbow room for eating ribs and the plates alone. After 2 entree plates, 4 sides, 2 glasses of Sweet Tea and 2 glasses of water, there was literally no room for anything else. TIP: Do not sit near the bussing station on the 2nd fl, it could be quite noisy. But the Que is Phenominal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.