Brooks & Porter Steakhouse
16 Merrick Avenue
Merrick, NY 11566Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
Brooks & Porter Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brooksandporter.com/
- Phone: 5163799400
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Wednesday: 4:30pm - 11:00pm, Thursday - Saturday: 2:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 11:30pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Winnie Togonon
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: DAILY HAPPY HOUR 4:30 TO 7:00PM HALF PRICED DRINKS AND BAR MENU SUNDAY BRUNCH 11:30 TO 3:30 HOLIDAY DISCOUNT GIFT CERTIFICATES.
- Special Events: Join us for ALL your holiday parties and special events
A word from Brooks & Porter Steakhouse
Long Island's premier Contemporary American Grill, Brooks & Porter is an architectural masterpiece that offers an unforgettable dining experience. True to its name, Brooks & Porter posh décor is reminiscent of that found in the 1930s art deco american style . Come join us in the beautiful and elegant bar with imported marble tops warmed by the glow of chandeliers and our fireplace sets the tone for an ideal spot for a Martini. Our menu is truly contemporary american, combining steakhouse classics oversized daily fresh seafood, stiff drinks, huge sides and some of New York’s finest desserts. In addition to serving the finest prime dry aged beef, we have the freshest fish delivered daily. Plus, our on-premise sommelier can help you select the perfect wine from our extensive list to complement any meal. Exceptional ambiance, cuisine and service. You'll find them all and more at Brooks & Porter.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brooks & Porter Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
- What used to be one of myOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/14/2012What used to be one of my favorites has taken a huge decline. For whatever reason the new ownership has really changed the quality of the food and I will not be going back there. This was my 2nd bad experience so I know it wasn't a fluke. The creamed spinach had no taste and the porterhouse had no 'wow' factor.
- The worst part of the nightscubad101Dined on 1/28/2012The worst part of the night was sitting st a table and not a booth. The food is served fon a cart that they push to your table and there clearly is not enough room to do this. I hit the cart a few times and so did one of my friends. Make sure you ask for a booth NOT a table. I liked the food but I thought it was a bit pricey. The chopped salad and skirt steak with fried onions was excellent!
- They are no longer on OpenOpenTable Diner Since 2001Dined on 1/27/2012They are no longer on Open Table yet Open Table took my reservation. Imagine my embarassment when I arrived with 7 guests to be told we did not have a reservation. We were lucky that they could accomodate us. I have received confirmations, reminders and requests to review this restaurant from Open Table even though they are no longer members.
- I was very disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/21/2012I was very disappointed. The menu that was on line did not match what was actually offered at the restaurant. It was a very limited menu and very pricey for the amount of food you received. out of four of us...their meal was just "ok", mine was inedible...it was so salty I could not eat it. Not just by my standards, other members of our dinner party agreed. I would not return. I do have to say the staff was very nice.
- Wants to be a City Steak houseOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/7/2012Brooks and Porter has the Quality of a NYC Steak House. the Service is Good they are not in your face all night long as some other places. They are lacking on choice of Steak Sizes, so unless you get the Filet you better go there hungry. The time between appetizer and dinner took a while, once appetizers were finished is was more than 10 minutes for the dinner to arrive. One down fall is their prices are as high or higher than some of the better steakhouses in NYC. Count on spending $75 per person Plus drinks and dessertSpecial Features:
- Under new management. TheyOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 12/30/2011Under new management. They no longer honor gift certificates issues under previous owners. However, they were sensitive to this issue. Food was good. Bar area was loud.
- I took my family to BrooksOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/24/2011I took my family to Brooks and Porter for dinner on Christmas Eve. They always get it right! The service was great, food was great and of course the drinks were great!. The owners Martin and Ronan were friendly and accommodating as usual. My family and I are looking forward to dining there again soon!Special Features:
- The place was noisier thanOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/23/2011The place was noisier than I imagined it would be, a lot of folks at the bar. We were taken upstairs to the balcony, and it was a lot less noisy. Service was fair to middling, although I would bet the waiter was relatively new, he didn't know the menu particularly well which was a little disconcerting, but he was attentive and friendly. We had to ask for the specials and then ask again for the wine list. Drinks were generous, and tasty. We started with the oysters, very fresh and tastefully presented. Beef was good, sides were copious and fresh. Scallops were also good, all in all I found the place well-priced, a relatively small menu choice which fits me well, i like to see fewer choices and more attention given to what's available.Special Features:
- Merrick Streakhouse.GaryVIPDined on 12/17/2011We ordered salads whic were perfectly done and soups that were extremely tasty. The steaks from the T-bone to the Filet Mignon were flavorful. The lamb chops were perfectly pink tender and juicy. The asparagus was firm and fresh and the creamed spinach was light and not ovcrdone. Berries and whipped cream and coffees finished off a perfect evening.Special Features:
- Declining, rapidly....SteveRJRDined on 12/10/2011My wife and I have been here a few times over the past year, and unfortunately this place is steadily declining. The seating is tight, we watched at least 6 parties change seats due to tight quarters and being bumped into by servers. The menu has been cut down and I believe they have lowered prices somewhat to reflect a tough economy which I respect, however - its still not reasonable, especially when our steaks were over-cooked and the side dishes were average at best. If you are going to charge $40 for a steak like a traditional steakhouse (say Mortons for example) than it really needs to be perfect. Unfortunately we have crossed Brooks off our list.
- The food and service wereDiningDanDined on 12/9/2011The food and service were great. Friendly atmosphere. This place is under new ownership and headed in the right direction. The menu could be expanded a bit. From the old place we would like to see the Buffalo Bleu Cheese Mussels back on the menu.Special Features:
- No complaints. Please bringOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/9/2011No complaints. Please bring back the Buffalo Blue Cheese Mussels though.Special Features:
- We thought the food was goodOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 11/20/2011We thought the food was good but overpriced. The best dish was the filet mignon. The porterhourse was average and very expensive.Special Features:
- Great food and atmosphere.OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/19/2011Great food and atmosphere. Our waiter was clueless. We had to wave him down in order to obtain service several times. Twice when we finally got his attention he came over only tell us that he would be right back and then we had to wave him down again. Then when the check came the bar tab that we paid for at the bar was on the check. After correcting that and returning with a new check we noticed that we were being charged for items that we did not order. The manager returned with the corrected check to apologize and let us know that he had removed the two deserts that we had ordered to make up for the mistakes. This is an example how one person can ruin your reputation. Great food, great atmosphere, but a bad waiter.
- Having been to Brooks & PorterOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/19/2011Having been to Brooks & Porter many times, this visit was largely disappointing. The waiter was awful, forgeting drink orders, not bringing drinks in a timely manner. Never checked on how we liked our appetizers. Took 20 mins just to get the bill so we could leave. Food was still good to very good. Not sure if ownership changed but lack of organization and the conceirge stood at the podium drinking beer and chatting with his pretty hostess', rather than see how the patrons were doing. Table behind us and next to us would write the same exact comments, if not worse.Special Features:
- This restaurant has takenOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/17/2011This restaurant has taken a turn for the worse with the quality of their food. What used to be once of my favorite restaurants will no longer be seeing me after multiple bad experiences.
- They are in the process ofOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2011They are in the process of changing over their identity. It was a Wednesday night so it was very empty and quiet. Service was outstanding and very attentive. Food was good though I know it was a new chef. Curious to try again and see in the future.
- Neighborhood GemsmittyDined on 11/13/2011Under NEW MANAGEMENT and its was my wife and I first time at Brooks and Porter and it won't be my last. The porterhouse was cooked a perfect medium rare and the stripped bass was a very nice size and moist. The place was busy and had a great vibe on wednesday night. this place is beautiful and the service was spot on as were the menu prices. We even meet the owners Peter and Martin who made us feel welcomed to their new place. I look forward to going back.Special Features:
- disappointeddisappointedDined on 11/12/2011Disappointed! I live in Merrick and was hoping for a great experience. Just the opposite. Some of our food choices were inedible. How can you ruin brussel sprouts, mac n cheese and sauteed spinach. The main course of chicken was returned. They left the potatoes off the cod special. As for the service, my waitress helped bus the table. A second breadbasket, which was not asked for since we already had a breadbasket, was left on top of my wife's plate.
- The food was cooked to perfectionstuartVIPDined on 11/12/2011The food was cooked to perfection and presented in a very appealing manner. I look forward to returning. It was a Restaurant Week find !Special Features:
- The cuisine was good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011The cuisine was good, but not great...which is what you'd hope for and expect for typical steakhouse prices on the high side. Service was very good. Nice people
- Hot spot bar for the overOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/11/2011Hot spot bar for the over 40s crowd. This results in intolerable noise level. Food is good quality but overpriced. Best seats in the house are upstairs.Special Features:
- Went for restaurant week,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2011Went for restaurant week, was really happy with our food and would go again.
- -it took too long for someoneOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/29/2011-it took too long for someone to ask us if we wanted anything to drink when we first sat down, we finished the bread in the basket and our waters had been refilled before we had to stop someone who was walking by us and ask if we could get something else to drink and that we were ready to order (if the place had been busy we would have understood the delay,but it was empty) -for what they charged for the entres, the portions were small and it was not the best meals we had ever had. they should increase their protions or lower the prices, otherwise they will go out of business
- Good food, exuberant bar sceneOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/28/2011Good food, nicely prepared and presented, but a bit over-priced. Everything is ala carte. We were seated in the upper section and it was very noisy up there because of the exuberant noise level down at the bar. Not at all what I would call 'quiet dining ambiance'. Nonetheless the food was good.Special Features:
- We had a very nice evening,limomDined on 10/22/2011We had a very nice evening, though the service was not great. Our orders came out all wrong though one of the owners did apologize and comped our coffee and dessert.
- 50 minutes before the firstOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/22/201150 minutes before the first morsel hit the table. I poured every water refill except for one and all the wine except the 1st pour. The worst baked clams ever. The food was real hit and miss (good truffled mac and cheese). Bad enough that we went elsewhere for dessert. I know it's a new owner so maybe they haven't hit their stride but I won't be back to find out. If you're a foodie, run away. if you're happy with a nice piece fish, who knows, maybe they'll figure it out.
- PRESENTATION WAS EXCELLENTOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2011PRESENTATION WAS EXCELLENT AMBIANCE STATELY AND FOOD EXTREMELY WELL PREPAREDSpecial Features:
- LET'S GO BACK!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/18/2011Finally went back to Brooks and Porter after hearing "New Owners" took over. The food was fantastic and fresh. The filets and striped bass..spot on! (they actually had everything on the menu)! The portions for entrees are a bit smaller but that refects in the slight price drop (sides remain large). Jennifer our waitress made our daughters birthday a very special night out with the family. We will be back!Special Features:
- Quality steaks. Great bar.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/15/2011Quality steaks. Great bar. A bit pricey. The pumpkin cheesecake was fantastic.
- Once and DoneGCMomDined on 10/8/2011The atmosphere was very nice - what a lovely, smart looking place. The food was ok. Our porterhouse steak was very good, with the filet side being especially noteworthy! The sides were unremarkable, but large portions. We started with soup - I found the french onion very tasty, but the NE Clam chowder was bland...and unfortunately there was never an offer of ground pepper. The sevice was ok. I was a bit disappointed that I had asked for a "special" table since it was our first time at B+P and it was our 15th Anniversary. We got nothing. Our table was in a corner, and dark and next to a family of 8 who were loud and obnoxious. There was no care aken, whatsoever. For the prices they charge, better off on the North Shore.
- New Owner, extremely disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/2/2011what was once one of my favorite restaurants has now been taken over by a new owner. We ordered 2 filet minions which was not prime meat. They were both extremely chewy. We sent back 1 of the filets since I really felt bad sending back 2. Before our problem the new owner was very attentive to us. After we sent back the filet minion he never came to our table again to see if all was alright.In fact, he went to every table around us to check if all was alright but never to us. What a disappointment as this was one of my favorite restaurants.
- new owners just took over,OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 10/1/2011new owners just took over, mentioned new menu and name change is coming soon.
- LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEWHONESTOPINIONVIPDined on 10/1/2011LOOKING FORWARD TO THE NEW OWNERS BRINGING THE PLACE BACK. VERY PERSONABLE PARTNER ON SITE WHO TOOK CARE OF SOME ISSUES DUE TO PRIOR OWNERS. WORTH A TRIP BACK AS THEY WERE SO ACCOMMADATING IN A MYRIAD OF WAYS!
- I'm not really sure how toVinnyDeVIPDined on 10/1/2011I'm not really sure how to start this review because I'm still very puzzled about this restaurant.. It's supposed to be a STEAK HOUSE !! Yet, when I tried to order their main selection, THE PORTER HOUSE, they didn't HAVE any !!!!! How can a steak house run out of their signature dish???? And I wasn't alone. Four tables next to ours experienced the same thing. One group even mentioned how they have been disappointed like this many times before. The only reason they go back is because they live in the neighborhood. I would NOT recommend this place at all. They ran out of Pecan pie, another house special, no ESPRESSO, etc etc. And the waiters were not very attentive.
- Food was not great, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/1/2011Food was not great, service was good. Very pricey and the menu was no where near the menu on line. We used a gift card so I was not terribly upset with the poor Quality of my steak.
- Excellent steaks, cooked toOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/15/2011Excellent steaks, cooked to perfection. Service was fast and friendlySpecial Features:
- We wanted a place that wasOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/10/2011We wanted a place that was both relaxing and had good food, this place met both criteria's and then some. We ordered a porterhouse for two and it was cooked as we ordered it. My only negative comment was the lack of a wine list. I will be returning and recommend this place to friends.Special Features:
- Overall one of the best placesAJB12VIPDined on 8/13/2011Overall one of the best places that we have been to in Long Island. Food and service were both outstanding.Special Features:
- Ok, but wont go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/13/2011It took 20 minutes after being seated to get a waiter over to the table and that was only because I had to ask. My husband had to have his beer changed twice because it was stale. But the rest of the experience was positive and the food was very good but not worth what they charge.