255 Washington St.
Somerville, MA 02143Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bronwynrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6177769900x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 12:00pm
July 4th - July 7th Closed for the holiday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Bronwyn
BRONWYN is a restaurant and bar located in Union Square, Somerville, featuring the cuisine of Germany and greater Central and Eastern Europe. Chef Tim Wiechmann draws on his cultural heritage to create hand-crafted sausages, schnitzels, traditional noodles and specialties such as Riesling sauerkraut and giant pretzels. An extensive list of bier and regional wein has been curated to enhance the cuisine. The chef’s wife, Bronwyn, is the restaurant’s namesake. The interior of BRONWYN embodies the rusticity of a European tavern and is adorned with the handcrafted treasures of the Chef’s travels and his family’s heirlooms. Upon entering the restaurant, one is reminded of the artistic spirit that imbues the neighborhood of Union Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bronwyn reviews from OpenTable diners
120 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (79)fit for foodies (75)great for outdoor dining (38)good for groups (35)vibrant bar scene (24)special occasion (22)hot spot (22)romantic (16)notable wine list (10)great for brunch (9)late-night find (6)kid-friendly (3)great for lunch (3)Show More
- hearty german farepromocatDined on 10/28/2014if you like meat & beer-than come here for good food at great prices & a funky midevil flare-come here!Special Features:
- love this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/25/2014great drink selection, and the food is excellent. have been here a few times and the menu keeps changing so there is a variety.Special Features:
- hard2plzhard2plzDined on 10/19/2014Our first time there and we were impressed. Beer selection is outstanding and the food really lived up to the claims for its central European flavor. Noise was a bit loud for good conversation, but not too bad. Staff want music while they work and diners would like to talk to each other!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Beautiful Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 10/19/2014As with every meal I have had at TW Food, every dish was phenomenal, the service was lovely and the atmosphere comfortable, yet very appropriate for the menu. This was my second visit to Bronwyn, and while the outdoor seating is a nice reprieve from the bustle of Union Square, eating inside on a cool autumn evening feels like the perfect setting to enjoy some dark beer, thoughtfully prepared dishes and a beautiful meal with friends.Special Features:
- Excellent German foodinfinitejeffDined on 10/19/2014Friendly staff, nice variety of choices on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent taste, sparse portionsAhartpanVIPDined on 10/18/2014We were looking forward to an authentic German style restaurant after seeing Chef Tim on "Beat Bobby Flay". The flavors were excellent, but we were disappointed to leave hungry (main dishes in the $20+ range). Our party of 3 had 2 appetizers and 3 main dishes. The beverage menu was huge but the food selections were limited. The dessert menu arrived with 1 item and another 1.5 pages of beverage options. I was planning a larger party there for my birthday dinner later this month, but I have since cancelled that reservation. The server was knowledgeable and helped us make decisions, but unfortunately, any of the beers we wanted to try were out, and his recommendation that was in was not to my preference. Disappointing overall experience.
- Just ok; Not for larger groupsAlisonDined on 10/18/2014Food and beer was good, and service was good until it got crowded and noisey. Our server got a bit flustered with our group of 6 adults one toddler in a high chair and ended up rushing us out and completely forgot to serve the birthday cake I requested for my husbands birthday. We had already paid the almost $400 bill at this point and she seemed annoyed that I still wanted the birthday cake even though we already paid. The hostess kept walking by our table to see if we were gone so we definitely felt the pressure to get up and leave because of the growing crowd. I probably won't go back. Maybe only to drink beer at the bar! Food was good for a one time experience only. I'm not dying to go back because of the food.Special Features:
- Amazing German FoodCport135VIPDined on 10/14/2014I've been to Bronwyn multiple times and it is amazing! Between the beer cheese soup, spaetzle, and lots of wurst options there is something for everyone and it is all wonderful. The only downside is that I've never really enjoyed their cocktails so I would recommend skipping those and getting a beer in a huge mug.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative Somerville German!OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 10/10/2014The food at Bronwyn is delicious: rooted in German tradition but incorporating the ideas of the local, organic food movement. Everything had a slight (better) twist than its traditional counterpart. We sampled the Oktoberfest set menu: homemade pretzels were delicious, as was the pumpkin soup and cabbage and roasted pear salad. The wursts, ribs and pork were all incredible, as were the German dumplings, made fresh with the addition of kale and mushrooms. Bronwyn is a true foodie gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Won't be backMickVIPDined on 10/10/2014Our second visit was mixed. No reservations available after 5:30 so we rushed over in heavy traffic. If you like loud oom-pah music, you'll love it, but hey it was Ocktoberfest! Good food and service by waitress in fetching German costume, the original wonder bra. But she couldn't handle splitting the tab for our party of 5 by 60/40, putting more on the wrong card and less on the wrong card. From the receipts we'll be sorting this out for days to come, and one charge has still not shown up on my card. Best of all, going outside to find a $50 ticket on wife's car for parking in a resident permit only zone. By the light of day, it's clearly posted. OK for a business dinner, $50 you can deduct, but for most don't go to Slumerville.
- was better the first timeReadingCamDined on 10/2/2014prices and servings both lower than my first visit 6 months ago. sons required second entre to fill up. ragout tasteless, however, schnitzle and brisket both got high marksSpecial Features:
- Very pleasant surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/1/2014I am not usually a fan of this type of cuisine but the food here was scrumptious and elegantly served.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- unique and tastyfeedmeDined on 9/30/2014We had a great experience. Extremely friendly service. Very interesting dishes that you don't find on many menus. Bronwyn claims to feature the food of eastern and central Europe. They are exactly what they claim, so if that sounds appealing, you should go. Great beer list. We loved the pickles!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretzel & Wurst TrioOkayDined on 9/21/2014Warm pretzel, good beer, wonderful ambiance, & tasty sausage. Very clean, not too crowdedSpecial Features:
- DisappointingSeriousVIPDined on 9/20/2014The noise level made shouting necessary. One dinner was tasty but two were just so-so and one small. Only one dessert was offered.Special Features:
- Bronwyn better than everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/18/2014Bronwyn evolves, and is better than ever: chef Tim Wiechmann keeps finding new tastes and textures - the range expands throughout the old Austro-Hungarian empire, with unexpected ingredients and flavors. The venison pastrami alone is worth the trip. Excellent middle-European wines, and still that amazing beer selection, all wrapped in excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Billy killed it on the bar! Comfortably took care of all five of us visiting from Jamaica Plain, including an enviable knowledge of Eastern European amaros/digestivos. Get the Wurst Trio. Then try everything else your friends ordered. Best meal I've had in months.Special Features:
- PriceChopperVIPDined on 9/14/2014We enjoyed our first brunch at Bronwyn's, outside in the Beer Garden no less! Phillip was excellent as always in serving our table, and doing it while speaking German to us!Special Features:
- Another great experiencestreakerfreakDined on 9/7/2014We decided to come here for my 31st birthday since it has become my favorite restaurant. As close to a true German dining experience one can get here in the US. They still don't carry my favorite Bavarian Beer (König Ludwig Weiss) and their German beer selection is a bit uninspired, but the food is amazing and I love the ambiance. Can't get enough of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service Put It Over The TopofftopicDined on 8/31/2014We arrived just as it started to rain heavily, driving already seated customers from the patio inside. Even though we had a reservation, there were all of a sudden too many diners for the number of indoor tables. The maître d' and the servers more than made up for the inconvenience. Even though we ended up seated at the bar, service was extra attentive and we got freebies from the kitchen. The food was very tasty and definitely a couple of steps up from the usual German/Austrian restaurants in this area. Still authentic, but with a bit of a fine dining foodie flair to it. The beer and wine list is great, and the servers did an excellent job suggesting beers to go with what we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Findfood4twoDined on 8/30/2014The unusual name drew us to this specific restaurant. I had made the reservation on line and was pleasantly surprised that they seated us in a semi-private area near the windows. Great ambiance and good service. My companion ordered the brisket, serving was a bit too small and fatty, but mostly the menu mentioned cumin-orange spices, but the smell and taste of the dish had a very strong "curry' flavor. Otherwise, definitely worth the dining experience. Excellent beer and wine selections.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Food was good, and the service really nice. Very limited menu with few choices of the old standards.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014Good food , as far as German food goes, (as we went with a German friend).However, slim picking if you're mostly a veggie/salad person who eats primarily fish and is not big on sausages etc. So not really a critique, but diners should look at menu and realize choices are narrow. Good beer choices. Wine a bit limited.Special Features:
- Awesome German Beer!!Halo1Dined on 8/26/2014Best parts of our first experience at Bronwyn: house beer!!!, house pretzel!!!, imported beer selection, waitstaff Parts in need of some improvement: Dine Out week menu / food. It was pretty good, but not great.Special Features:
- A FindthecfamilyDined on 8/23/2014Our son chose Bronwyn from the August Boston restaurant list because it features German food, There were four in our party and we all loved loved the food, drink, and service. Our waiter was Phillip but they use a team of well trained staff who know all the food and drink items and work quickly and efficiently to get your food and drinks to you right away. They also have a great presence on the floor and keep your water glass full. For us it was a new find although they told us they were there for over a year. We will to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and very deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014What a great find in Union Square! Finally some excellent German-style cuisine without all the heft. Excellent use of herbs (not sugar and salt) to add flavor to fresh and local ingredients. Friendly and very attentive service. Will definitely look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Excellent German Cuisine.FoodiefromBostonDined on 8/23/2014Delicious authentic German food with an excellent selection of German and other European beers. My friends and I went with the three course menu since it was Restaurant Week and were extremely pleased. I will definitely be going back there again. The service was excellent as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placemwyse924Dined on 8/21/2014We loved our meal here. A great beer list with good German food. Bronwyn has a really cool vibe inside and is definitely a local hot spot. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but......ShaynaVIPDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I had been wanting to try Bronwyn and Restaurant Week was the lure to finally make the trip. Not being familiar with Union Square, we had a bit of trouble finding it but did succeed. We were seated promptly by a lovely hostess who was happy to answer our questions about the menu. It didn't take long to figure out that the Restaurant Week menu was no bargain. We decided to order what we wanted and had a lovely meal. We shared the small sausage plate for an appetizer and then shared the sauerbraten and spaetzle. All were yummy. We also ordered the bread basket and a German chocolate cake for dessert. Overall, we enjoyed the food and the authentic feeling atmosphere. But the heavy cuisine means we won't be back often.Special Features:
- Everything is tinged with 'yuck'BradVIPDined on 8/17/2014Too much grains and chunks in the bread or no flavor at all... Lemon in the butter. Horseradish in the potato pancakes... It is like eating with the Addams family. Gross.
- Okay German foodnonplussed8Dined on 8/16/2014Pretty good, but sausages lacked bite and pickled salads weren't very vinegar-y or flavorful. A comparable restaurant in Germany would serve the same stuff more simply and with less fuss. The outdoor seating area was lovely and not too loud.Special Features:
- Great!MollyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Bronwyn was great! The food was interesting and delicious. They do vegetables perfectly. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Super!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Ihre Köche wissen, richtige deutsche Küche und ihre Kellner sind sehr gut informiert.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014We loved our first visit to Bronwyn. Great service, great decor, and fantastic food. Really couldn't ask for more, and will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- want to love itSierraDined on 8/1/2014I'm German, so I want to love this restaurant. I went last night with a friend and was disappointed. The server appeared to be in a horrible mood; tired his eyes, slammed glasses down, generally cranky. No idea why his day was so bad, but haven't worked in the industry for many years, I have a high tolerance for service issues, but that was a bit much. He also failed to send us home with all of our leftovers. The food was ok. The bread that came with the Leberwurst was very hard. Not sure if that was intentional. It was difficult to eat, but tasted good. The Spaetzle, while good, was incredibly greasy. Definitely too rich for me. I might give this place another shot, because it could've just been an off might, I guess.Special Features:
- Exciting German FareKirstenrunsDined on 7/24/2014Bronwyn was absolutely amazing. First thing you notice is attention to decor- gorgously rustic and classy, while warm and friendly. Good balance of recognizable food and more adventureous options as well. The servers are personable and happy to help pronounce some of the dishes. :) Highly recommend the blutnudelin. Will def be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it here!eatdessertfirstDined on 7/20/2014As a native German I was excited to try this newly opened spot and was so glad we came! It was surprisingly quiet for a Sunday brunch, so we were immediately seated outside and service was friendly and quick. The server was German which added to the authenticity of their concept. Their menu offers traditional German dishes as well as some Central European specialties. The Strawberry & Chocolate Babka was a nice sweet starter to share before we ordered the Wurst Platter and the Apple Pancakes. The pancaked were beyond delicious and so fluffy like my grandmother used to make them. The portions are generous but not too big. We ended up ordering a side of the potatoes and Weisswurst which were delicious as well. Will for sure return for dinner!Special Features:
- Great service. Great good.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014:-) Food was really good. Service was as well. Very friendly staff. I love the unique decor.Special Features:
- Beyond a BiergartenchinklingDined on 7/13/2014Beer, pretzels and then some. Bronwyn's beer and food menu are for the adventurous and hungry and they never disappoint. Tried the brunch for the first time and the veal tongue pastrami was otherworldly in flavors and textures. Hits the spot! Always cool with us and our baby, and perfect place for small to medium sizes groups. Staff is always very accommodating and make you feel like you are a guest in their own home. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014This is the only restaurant we want to go to lately...special occasion, any occasion its that good! Great everytime!Special Features: