255 Washington St.
Somerville, MA 02143Neighborhood:
EuropeanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://bronwynrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6177769900x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday: 5:00pm – 11:00pm
Thursday – Saturday: 5:00pm – 12:00pm
July 4th - July 7th Closed for the holiday
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Bronwyn
BRONWYN is a restaurant and bar located in Union Square, Somerville, featuring the cuisine of Germany and greater Central and Eastern Europe. Chef Tim Wiechmann draws on his cultural heritage to create hand-crafted sausages, schnitzels, traditional noodles and specialties such as Riesling sauerkraut and giant pretzels. An extensive list of bier and regional wein has been curated to enhance the cuisine. The chef’s wife, Bronwyn, is the restaurant’s namesake. The interior of BRONWYN embodies the rusticity of a European tavern and is adorned with the handcrafted treasures of the Chef’s travels and his family’s heirlooms. Upon entering the restaurant, one is reminded of the artistic spirit that imbues the neighborhood of Union Square.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bronwyn reviews from OpenTable diners
143 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (94)neighborhood gem (86)great for outdoor dining (53)good for groups (41)special occasion (35)hot spot (32)vibrant bar scene (26)great for brunch (21)romantic (18)notable wine list (13)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (7)great for lunch (6)scenic view (1)Show More
- A little noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/29/2014Food was good, and the service really nice. Very limited menu with few choices of the old standards.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/27/2014Good food , as far as German food goes, (as we went with a German friend).However, slim picking if you're mostly a veggie/salad person who eats primarily fish and is not big on sausages etc. So not really a critique, but diners should look at menu and realize choices are narrow. Good beer choices. Wine a bit limited.Special Features:
- Awesome German Beer!!Halo1Dined on 8/26/2014Best parts of our first experience at Bronwyn: house beer!!!, house pretzel!!!, imported beer selection, waitstaff Parts in need of some improvement: Dine Out week menu / food. It was pretty good, but not great.Special Features:
- A FindthecfamilyDined on 8/23/2014Our son chose Bronwyn from the August Boston restaurant list because it features German food, There were four in our party and we all loved loved the food, drink, and service. Our waiter was Phillip but they use a team of well trained staff who know all the food and drink items and work quickly and efficiently to get your food and drinks to you right away. They also have a great presence on the floor and keep your water glass full. For us it was a new find although they told us they were there for over a year. We will to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unique and very deliciousOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 8/23/2014What a great find in Union Square! Finally some excellent German-style cuisine without all the heft. Excellent use of herbs (not sugar and salt) to add flavor to fresh and local ingredients. Friendly and very attentive service. Will definitely look forward to a return visit.Special Features:
- Excellent German Cuisine.FoodiefromBostonDined on 8/23/2014Delicious authentic German food with an excellent selection of German and other European beers. My friends and I went with the three course menu since it was Restaurant Week and were extremely pleased. I will definitely be going back there again. The service was excellent as well!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great placemwyse924Dined on 8/21/2014We loved our meal here. A great beer list with good German food. Bronwyn has a really cool vibe inside and is definitely a local hot spot. We will be back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but......ShaynaVIPDined on 8/20/2014My husband and I had been wanting to try Bronwyn and Restaurant Week was the lure to finally make the trip. Not being familiar with Union Square, we had a bit of trouble finding it but did succeed. We were seated promptly by a lovely hostess who was happy to answer our questions about the menu. It didn't take long to figure out that the Restaurant Week menu was no bargain. We decided to order what we wanted and had a lovely meal. We shared the small sausage plate for an appetizer and then shared the sauerbraten and spaetzle. All were yummy. We also ordered the bread basket and a German chocolate cake for dessert. Overall, we enjoyed the food and the authentic feeling atmosphere. But the heavy cuisine means we won't be back often.Special Features:
- Everything is tinged with 'yuck'BradVIPDined on 8/17/2014Too much grains and chunks in the bread or no flavor at all... Lemon in the butter. Horseradish in the potato pancakes... It is like eating with the Addams family. Gross.
- Okay German foodnonplussed8Dined on 8/16/2014Pretty good, but sausages lacked bite and pickled salads weren't very vinegar-y or flavorful. A comparable restaurant in Germany would serve the same stuff more simply and with less fuss. The outdoor seating area was lovely and not too loud.Special Features:
- Great!MollyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Bronwyn was great! The food was interesting and delicious. They do vegetables perfectly. We will definitely return!Special Features:
- Super!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Ihre Köche wissen, richtige deutsche Küche und ihre Kellner sind sehr gut informiert.Special Features:
- Perfect dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/8/2014We loved our first visit to Bronwyn. Great service, great decor, and fantastic food. Really couldn't ask for more, and will definitely be going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- want to love itSierraDined on 8/1/2014I'm German, so I want to love this restaurant. I went last night with a friend and was disappointed. The server appeared to be in a horrible mood; tired his eyes, slammed glasses down, generally cranky. No idea why his day was so bad, but haven't worked in the industry for many years, I have a high tolerance for service issues, but that was a bit much. He also failed to send us home with all of our leftovers. The food was ok. The bread that came with the Leberwurst was very hard. Not sure if that was intentional. It was difficult to eat, but tasted good. The Spaetzle, while good, was incredibly greasy. Definitely too rich for me. I might give this place another shot, because it could've just been an off might, I guess.Special Features:
- Exciting German FareKirstenrunsDined on 7/24/2014Bronwyn was absolutely amazing. First thing you notice is attention to decor- gorgously rustic and classy, while warm and friendly. Good balance of recognizable food and more adventureous options as well. The servers are personable and happy to help pronounce some of the dishes. :) Highly recommend the blutnudelin. Will def be returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it here!eatdessertfirstDined on 7/20/2014As a native German I was excited to try this newly opened spot and was so glad we came! It was surprisingly quiet for a Sunday brunch, so we were immediately seated outside and service was friendly and quick. The server was German which added to the authenticity of their concept. Their menu offers traditional German dishes as well as some Central European specialties. The Strawberry & Chocolate Babka was a nice sweet starter to share before we ordered the Wurst Platter and the Apple Pancakes. The pancaked were beyond delicious and so fluffy like my grandmother used to make them. The portions are generous but not too big. We ended up ordering a side of the potatoes and Weisswurst which were delicious as well. Will for sure return for dinner!Special Features:
- Great service. Great good.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/17/2014:-) Food was really good. Service was as well. Very friendly staff. I love the unique decor.Special Features:
- Beyond a BiergartenchinklingDined on 7/13/2014Beer, pretzels and then some. Bronwyn's beer and food menu are for the adventurous and hungry and they never disappoint. Tried the brunch for the first time and the veal tongue pastrami was otherworldly in flavors and textures. Hits the spot! Always cool with us and our baby, and perfect place for small to medium sizes groups. Staff is always very accommodating and make you feel like you are a guest in their own home. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love this place!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 7/12/2014This is the only restaurant we want to go to lately...special occasion, any occasion its that good! Great everytime!Special Features:
- foodluverVIPDined on 7/3/2014This place has a unique menu that is very central European. The beer is great and so are the appetizers. After that is is very heavy on the sausage for entrees. To be honest this is just not my type of food (too heavy for me,) however if you are looking for a great beer and lots of sausage than this is the place for you. The ambiance is great an they have an outdoor beer garden as well.Special Features:
- C331cvDined on 7/2/2014This was our second time dining here. We love the food. Both times we got the large sausage plate as an appetizer and loved it. Sat near the bar where we could see a sign for a $14.00 hamburger, but waiter said my son could not order it in the dining room. Loved the Spaetzle dish and the schnitzel, Actually everything was delicious. Great, interesting beer list. If you want a reservation, I would call the restaurant directly because Open Table would not let us make a reservation for 5 people saying that there was no availability within 21/2 hours of 5 pm, but the restaurant was empty the entire time we were there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great againmhpifDined on 6/29/2014Love Bronwyn. Great menu for sharing and honestly it is too hard to decide what dishes not to try. Go drink some great beer and munch some wurst. You know you want to!!Special Features:
- authenticOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 6/27/2014tastes like germany. we had the haxe and it was just right. beer was delicious. they offer a giant pretzel to start ... and you pay about $6 for it. I think they charge for a bread basket, too. cocktails were good. the only thing off was the glass of wine -- german's are not known for their red wine, but I am not a white drinker. alas, small problem.Special Features:
- AMAZING!PatientPathDined on 6/27/2014outstanding service, amazing food, exceptional beer list and beautiful rustic wood ambiance, easily my and my wife's favorite. The attentive and informed staff made our first wedding anniversary very, very special. The menu rotation (among other things) keeps us coming back to try the new, exciting fare and the variety of unusual German beers (which match the plates and pair with the season perfectly) are always great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Uber German GastropubChrisDined on 6/25/2014My wife and I started with spinach and cheddar filled pierogies and a salad. The pierogies were delicious - I was afraid they would be too cheesy, they weren't. The salad was fresh, and nice accompaniment to the pierogies. I ordered blutnudeln - I may have the spelling wrong - but essentially "blood noodles". Noodles that start red due blood added to the dough, and blood in the sauce, plus a very tender beef shank - it was perfect. My wife had an assortment of delicious homemade wursts. The beer menu is extensive with beers from Germany, of course, Poland, Austria and elsewhere. Overall excellent, and much better than most of the German food that I've had in Germany, but not for those who just want pea shoots and greens.Special Features:
- MingliciousDined on 6/21/2014I'm fairly new to Somerville, but I kept hearing such good things about Bronwyn that I had to visit! (I brought my mom along as a dining companion.) I had the sauerkraut cocktail (with amaretto), which was surprisingly delicious. My mom and I split the giant pretzel to start (which is served with devilishly hot mustard, and I mean that as a compliment), then we shared the spatzel (excellent) and the mini wurst platter (which made me want to try all six sausages on the big platter -- another visit). We had the Berliner donuts for dessert. We were very happy with all of the food, and the portions were good for sharing between two people. When the kitchen lagged between the pretzel and the mains, they sent out some complementary pickled eggs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FANTASTICPolishLuvDined on 6/21/2014This was our second time at Bronwyn and, once again, we had a terrific food experience...loved, LOVED, LOVED IT ALL. Had the Prix Fixe menu myself and the opening two entrees were phenomenal. The Polish beer on tap, the desserts....Ooooooh the desserts. Each selection is like going to heaven. There's only one thing wrong with your restaurant: you're 85 miles away from where I live in NH....I wish I was closer...I'd be there every night. Seriously, every night. Truly a great restaurant. I am Polish born and your meals take me home. I truly love your restaurant. Great job.
- 50th BirthdayWhitney5Dined on 6/19/2014Went there to celebrate my 50th birthday with my family. The restaurant was wonderful in modifying or reservations due to delayed airline flight. When we arrived, the staff was thrilled to see us. Our waiter was exceptional and made some great recommendations of both food and drinks. The food and atmosphere were great.Special Features:
- DeliciousAFineGlanceDined on 6/15/2014As expected, everything was scrumptious. As good as T.W. Food with an entirely different feel. German soul food with a foodie touch. Awesome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Time!yay0Dined on 6/14/2014I had never been to Bronwyn before. A friend of mine recommended, so I went. It was for sure busy -- Saturday night, but service was good and food/drink were excellent. This place is good for a date as well as out with friends or family get-together. It is a great find in Union Square.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining at Bronwyn is a must!lcdinerDined on 6/14/2014Dining at Bronwyn is a wonderful experience. Upon entering the restaurant you are greeted warmly. The food is superb. The service is friendly and attentive. The servers offer expert guidance on the menu for those not familiar with the cuisine. The cocktails are inventive and especially good. The selection of beer is extensive and worth exploring, along with the schnapps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almost authenticGermanfoodieDined on 6/14/2014Although most if not all of the food is made in house, the taste still lacks a little German authenticity. The menu could be expanded, particularly to exclude side dishes (e.g., spatzle, rosti) from being served as entrees. There are wonderful German dishes (both heavy and light) that are not represented on the menu. The potato pancakes are overly thick and unappealing.Special Features:
- Delicious food and great serviceChedditorDined on 6/13/2014Very pleased that they have vegetarian options, and even a vegan plate. The spätzel was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and beer!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/11/2014Having lived in Germany for three years over twenty years ago, it was a joy to taste authentic German fare that was truly delicious.Special Features:
- YummySmb1Dined on 6/8/2014Good German food with a fun beer list. We arrived early and they seated us right away...in cool throne chairs! Very unique decor!Special Features:
- Upscale German EatingEschmaDined on 6/6/2014I didn't know much about German food going into it, but everything we tried was phenomenal! We had the pretzel, the schmaltz (chicken and pork fat spread on rye bread), the spatzel (our favorite!), and of course a wurst plate. Can't wait to go back and try their famous hot dog and more German beer!Special Features:
- Hearty, But Not HeavyFaucheauxDined on 5/31/2014Dinner was really something to write home about. We had reservations but ate at the bar because we were hungry and arrived a little earlier than planned. We both had their (only) hard cider, which was crisp and not too sweet. (Of note: Barkeep Ryan is kind of a rock star) We shared the potato pancakes (with rhubarb compote and dill creme fraiche) for our appetizer. These were savory and the flavors were unusual but delicious. One could almost make a meal of these. My entree was the Sauerbraten with grilled parsnips. Traditionally, this can be a VERY heavy dish, but this was lean, tender brisket without a crust or gravy. I'd do this meal all over again.Special Features:
- Excellent all-around experiencegeckogirlDined on 5/30/2014A family gathering at Bronwyn for a special occasion (college graduation) proved to be a crowd-pleaser. Terrific food and pretzels. Great range of beers, too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, mixed serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/30/2014We were very impressed by the food on our first visit to Bronwyn: the dishes reminded us very much of trips to Germany and surrounds, while still having interesting local ingredients (rhubarb featured a couple of times in this season, as did ramps and pea tendrils). While there were not as many draft beer choices as we might have hoped for, the standard was very high. By contrast, we were quite disappointed by the service: after a very friendly initial experience and a great table location with thrones (!), we had the sense that each request to our server was an inconvenience to him, while he was brusque in reaching across both of us to remove items.Special Features:
- Bronwyn is a gemBensTakeVIPDined on 5/24/2014This is a rare German/Central European restaurant in the Boston area. The food is amazing and they serve a great brunch as well as dinner. There are beers and wines from the region to complement the food which includes Schnitzel, Sausage as well as unique takes on pasta and pork shank. So much fun. Use Open Table and make a reservation as it is small and crowded. Nice outdoor seating if we ever get good weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.