Broken Plate Kitchen & Bar - Willow Park
590-10816 Macleod Trail SE
Calgary, AB T2J 5N8Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: CAN$30 and under
Broken Plate Kitchen & Bar - Willow Park
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brokenplate.ca/
- Phone: 4032259650x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30 am - 4:00 pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00 pm - 10:00 pm; Friday - Saturday: 4:00 pm - 11:00 pm; Sunday: 4:00 pm - 9:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: European, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Ervin Bushi
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: We provide catering for small and large groups. Please refer to Broken Plate Willow Park website (brokenplate.ca, follow link to Willow Park location)for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Our restaurant accomodates groups anywhere from 5 to 100 people for events or celebrations such as corporate meetings, birthdays, anniversaries etc. We offer a la carte or set menus and we can accomodate any allergies or dietary restrictions you may have. Although we specialize in Greek cuisine, our menu offers a wide enough variety to satisfy most palates in your party.
- Entertainment: Belly Dancing every Friday and Saturday evening from November 15 to December 31.
New Year's Eve: Belly Dancing, Champagne, and party favours!!!
- Special Events: Belly Dancing every Friday and Saturday night between 8:30-9:00, starting November 15th-December 31st. Reserve now!
A word from Broken Plate Kitchen & Bar - Willow Park
Through its use of fresh seasonal ingredients, Broken Plate Kitchen & Bar brings a refined, cosmopolitan flair to Mediterranean culinary tradition as well as other favorites. The owners and chefs are proud to have ushered in a new era of appreciation for vibrant Greek flavors. More than a decade after opening its doors, Broken Plate owners invite you to try some of their favorite dishes and wish you a Greek bon appetit: Kali Orexi!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Broken Plate Kitchen & Bar - Willow Park - Best Restaurants in Calgary ›
Broken Plate Kitchen & Bar - Willow Park reviews from OpenTable diners
123 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (64)neighborhood gem (58)good for groups (49)fit for foodies (47)great for lunch (31)romantic (22)kid-friendly (20)notable wine list (15)great for outdoor dining (13)great for brunch (8)late-night find (4)hot spot (4)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/30/2014The food was excellent however the service was lacking in energy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Evening!RhonaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Although the restaurant was very busy, the food was fantastic and service was great!Special Features:
- Good but not greatSpikeDined on 8/29/2014Enjoyed everything, but have to say the menu has been leaving me less than inspired and the special was just "OK".Special Features:
- Great Food, Great atmosphereAlainInCalgaryVIPDined on 8/22/2014We enjoyed a quiet diner for 2. Great place to take your time and enjoy your meal. The food is very authentic and consistent each time we visit. The Flamming dishes always add to the excitement and atmosphere.Special Features:
- Fantastic foodSarahbeth29Dined on 8/22/2014The food was absolutely fantastic! Delicious! Portion sizes are very generous and the staff was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, poor serviceblunnerDined on 8/14/2014My last visit to Broken Plate was over a year ago. Returning a few nights ago, the food was as good as I remembered! However, the service was very inconsiderate. Interrupting conversation several times, forgetting side dishes (with no rush to get them after they were reminded!), had no idea which of us had which meal, and reaching right in front of our faces to fill our water glasses unasked. The server was friendly, just hurried and brash and without basic courtesy. As a mother myself, I don't mind children in restaurants, but maybe seat them away from the couples that are dining? I enjoy the food here, but honestly for the price I expect much more professional service - this was more Boston Pizza-level service.
- Birthday dinnerBirthdaygirlDined on 8/13/2014Table was ready on arrival, friendly helpful staff, great tasting food good service.Special Features:
- Business LunchHappyDinerDined on 8/13/2014This is a nice quiet restaurant for private business lunches. Plenty of booths and table space to spread out paperwork. Staff are always appropriately attentive; prompt and helpful but not intrusive or bothersome. The food and drinks are the same great quality as the much busier evening time.Special Features:
- Impressed!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/11/2014Great food, great service. Overall great experience.Special Features:
- MummsyDined on 8/11/2014Great Food, and good Ambience. My sister an i loved out dinner, drinks were fanstastic and dersert was incredible.Special Features:
- Grooving GreekPetuniaDined on 8/8/2014A very pleasant evening with good food and nice wine. Somewhat noisy but overall okay.Special Features:
- Great experienceAirdrieCoupleDined on 8/5/2014My wife and I have been to the Willow Park location many times and we always have a great time there. The staff are attentive, the food has always been excellent and environment is relaxed and comfortable. I think it speaks to the experience that we are happy to drive from Airdrie to Willow Park to enjoy this restaurant. We have never felt rushed to finish our meal or leave. The baklava cheesecake is absolutely fantastic and I would recommend that for anyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/3/2014Love the Broken Plate, by far my favourite restaurant. Wish they could do separate bills!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014We went there most recently to celebrate our anniversary, however we go with friends when we just want to have a pleasant and good dinner or lunch.Special Features:
- codyVIPDined on 8/1/2014Had the lamb shank, my partner the moussaka. Hers was very good, mine was good, but very mutton-y, a little too much for my liking, however, not the restaurant's fault, as I've had a similar problem cooking shanks at home.
- Gluten Free Yummy-nessCgyDinerDined on 7/28/2014Great service, wide range of GF options, outstanding flavours.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Night out with friendsBiffoDined on 7/24/2014Friends, food, wine and Broken Plate. How can you go wrong?Special Features:
- Unimpressive and overpricedSavourtheFlavourDined on 7/22/2014We are new to Calgary and are still checking out restaurants. Tried the Broken Plate for the first time. Menu is limited and quasi-mediterranean. A few Greek dishes. Food was acceptable but un-spectacular. Decor is modern. This is not a taverna and doesn't try to be. Service was OK. Waitress was in blue jeans. Food and drink were both significantly overpriced. Will we be back? No.
- great meal and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/18/2014we went for supper with another couple to the broken plate at willow park. great food and service. We were also able to break the plates too"!Special Features:
- Great as usualHermioneDined on 7/17/2014This is one of my "go to" places for lunch. The service is always good, the food consistently delicious and I love the coffee. My favourite dish is the golden beet salad with salmon. Love those fresh figs!Special Features:
- Great place to dineNona1Dined on 7/13/2014We enjoyed our experience except we were in the middle of the resturant very close to the plate throwing . Other then that we were happy with the food and really enjoyed the time there. It was a birthday celebration and the resturant went over the top in making it special and adding on the free dessert. The waiter was awesome and interactive with us which we enjoyed. The service was great . The food was very delicious and tasty. Everyone enjoyed their choice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good foodDeMaloneyDined on 7/12/2014First time in Calgary. Can't say we were impressed by the restaurant selection/food so we were pleasantly surprise to find Broken Plate. We enjoyed a nicely prepared meal and the service was great. Wish they had more of a wine selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a GemlongwhitecloudsDined on 7/12/2014Went there for a birthday dinner and it was just wonderful from food to service. Even got a complimentary traditional greek dessert to finish it off, perfect icing on the cake! Will certainly return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and ServiceJessamae87Dined on 7/7/2014Not a first time diner here. This place made me love Greek food. Will be back again.Special Features:
- Awesome eveningwhencanwegoagainDined on 7/4/2014We went out for a quiet dinner just the two of us. The food is always fantastic and of course now they have gluten free items on the menu and marked so it makes the choices much easier! The wine suggestion was good and dessert was well...decadent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Why I would returndkpsDined on 7/4/2014The dinner was a great experience, staff made us feel welcomed. For special occasions request to break a plate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/30/2014Went there with my boyfriend for a quick bite before going to a movie an the appetizers were out super quick. Everything we tried was really really delicious. Dolmades, calamari, meatballs and a couple sides. Dessert and coffee was an amazing finish to our quick meal. They have great gluten free options for dessert. It was my boyfriend's first time eating there and he was really impressed! Will definitely be going there again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner for 4JudykmDined on 6/26/2014We had a great time. 4 old friends getting together for a visit. The restaurant was busy but we were not rushed at all. Service was great and so was the food. Have been there many times and will continue to go there. They took good care of me and my allergies.Special Features:
- Food OK. Wine scammedEJKYYCDined on 6/25/2014Overall the food was okay. Nothing spectacular, but satisfied my craving for 'Greek' cuisine. I ordered a glass of wine with my meal, the server asked me twice what size I wanted - 6oz or 9oz and both times I clearly stated only the 6oz. I didn't really notice the portion as it was poured, only when the bill came I noticed it was the larger glass. When I questioned him, and reminded him that I only wanted the 6oz there was no apology nor offer to remedy the bill. I left with the attitude that I drank 9oz so whatever, I paid for 9oz. But to me, this was unacceptable. As a former food and beverage server, this really irked me. Not being listened to in the first place and then no real acknowledgment of the error. I won't be back.Special Features:
- They really Care.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/24/2014Tuesday night and the place was filling. We noticed it was mostly women. So, it looks like a girls night out would be a thing to do. First thing we noticed was the service, attentiveness and efficiency of the staff. The food was unbelievable. It was well prepared, presented, plentiful and delicious. This is a great place to celebrate with a group, There was a birthday party going on (about 15 people - all women). The atmosphere was a great place for celebration mode, both intimate and robust. The place to go for great food, a warm reception, and pampered service.Special Features:
- Excellent!FoodLover1Dined on 6/21/2014The Broken Plate Restaurant is the best Greek restaurant in Calgary for lunch or dinner. We ordered the Spanokopita which is generously filled with spinach and feta, wrapped in a light flaky pastry. The lamb pita is a warm pita filled with succulent lamb chunks and veggies and just a feast for the taste buds. As well, the roast lamb sandwich is absolutely delicious as is the fragrant rice side. The Grecian Platter is a great appy starter plate that includes dolmadas, kleftico, Spanokopita, and calamari - provides a great sample of the tastes of Greek food. We visited the restaurant at lunch and our waiter was very attentive, friendly and prompt. You can't go wrong at The Broken Plate! All the food is delicious and have the Baklava! Heaven!Special Features:
- Good foodsarah0003Dined on 6/20/2014Enjoyed our dinner, the server was very friendly but it was slow service. We enjoyed our time there but were not blown away, probably wouldn't go back though. There was nothing that happened to really make it memorable, the website shows belly dancers and such that we were expecting to possibly see but that didn't happen.Special Features:
- Rude Hostess but good foodletsdineouttonightVIPDined on 6/20/2014We arrived on time for our reservation that was booked via Open Table. For some reason the Hostess could not locate the reservation, so I showed the her my Open Table email confirmation. She became very RUDE at that point and huffily showed us to a table and spun on her heel and left. Thankfully the waiter and the food made the experience enjoyable overall, but this young lady needs a lesson in manners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great dining experiencelongwhitecloudsDined on 6/20/2014Tried 2 appetizers (spinch pastries and prawns) and both came with delicious sauce. All mains have generous portion size and I ordered Greek spiced baby ribs, which was well cooked to my liking except for taste falling short and I couldn't taste any 'Greek spice' or any spice at all. I did go heavy on salt and pepper just to add some flavor. A medium-rare steak order from one in the group was more on the medium side; the manager/owner stopped by offering apologies. Our group ordered 2 desserts and both were fantastic! It's a very well established restaurant and I plan to go back though my main wasn't flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday Dinnercowtown1987Dined on 6/18/2014What a fantastic dinner! We went there for my birthday dinner on a Wednesday evening. We started with the saganaki, pan fried in front of the table - a nice show, and it was to die for. The rack of lamb was well seasoned and cooked to order - I like my meat a little more well done and the kitchen staff had no problem at all accomodating me. The meal was accompanied by a wonderful white wine, reccomended by the server. He knew his stuff. The service was absolutely fantastic, we would return in a heartbeat! A little pricey for everyday, this is a fantastic place to go for special occasions.Special Features:
- Excellent Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/15/2014I took my parents to the Broken Plate for Father's Day and we were all very pleased. It is my father's favorite place to eat and the service was top notch. Even Bill (owner) stopped by our table to say hello. My only suggestion is as a non-meat eater, have a few more vegetarian or vegan options and I will come back for sure! This is definately a neighborhood gem!Special Features:
- Always great fresh food everytimeOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014Exceptional food quality. We don't do the chain restaurants any longer. We love this little neighbourhood gem. Can't go wrong with the Zeus Chicken!Special Features:
- Great food with consistent serviceTiminYYCDined on 6/14/2014We had time for a quick dinner out without the kids. The food was excellent and the service was very good. We always enjoy the ambiance and relaxed attitude of the folks at the Broken Plate in Willow Park. Highly recommended for either a group dinner, family dinner or a quiet meal out where you want better than average food and service. We have been going there for years and it has never disapointed us.Special Features:
- Great food, poor serviceLuv2dineDined on 6/13/2014Calamari salad is always fabulous; friend's moussaka was delicious as was the beet salad!Special Features:
- Broken Plate willow parkSharedby2Dined on 6/12/2014We hadn't been to the Greek restaurant since it was renovated and it was a pleasant upgrade since our last visit. My wife and I went there to celebrate our anniversary. We started with the Copaniato spread on pita and it was great. We then shared a calamari salad which they split for us in the kitchen. It was also very good but for me I would have preferred a little extra sauce for the calamari which was a little tough. We also shared the Zeus chicken and it was outstanding. From the presentation to the taste, it was excellent. The price was reasonable and great value by splitting. Service was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.