380 High Street NE
Salem, OR 97301Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.eatbrokenbread.com/
- Phone: 5039907117
- Hours of Operation:
June 2013 Hours
Thursday - Friday for Dinner
5:00 pm - 9:00pm
All Day Dining on Saturday
2:00pm - 9:00pm
Closed Sunday - Wednesday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Adam High
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Banquet space for 25 guests.
- Special Events: Banquet Room space for up to 30 guests. Please call for details.
A word from Broken Bread
All the best the Willamette Valley has to offer. Fine food presented in a relaxed setting, Broken Bread strives to connect the diner with our purveyors for a true Farm to Table experience.Continued
With a smaller fixed menu and a wide variety of daily offerings Broken Bread is sure to please.
Broken Bread is .....
Fresh | Changing | Responsible
With a smaller fixed menu and a wide variety of daily offerings Broken Bread is sure to please.
Broken Bread is .....
Fresh | Changing | Responsible
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Broken Bread reviews from OpenTable diners
- Close butJustMeDined on 6/8/2013I really like the fact that Broken Bread focuses on local sources for food. The food was hit and miss, rockfish was great, chicken and dumplings (dumplings were biscuits) swam in a broth so salty I couldn't taste anything else. If this weren't an a la carte menu I would give it four stars. But when salad is extra that elevates my expectations, and the food didn't rise to that level. Only one vegetarian option, an uninspired quinoa dish. Also, with a name like 'Broken Bread' I expect fantastic bread. The bread served with the entrees was okay but was a bit of a let down.
- Great Local Food SceneMichelleDined on 5/12/2013Definitely a spot that captures all the great fresh local food sources and puts them together with creativity. Small menu but not a bad thing on it- at least from the appetizers, entrees and desserts we got. Comfortable atmosphere to enjoy a leisurely meal right downtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Salem Gem....MegzDined on 5/11/2013Our favorite place for a special night out with friends. The commitment to local foods–which support local growers and a healthier planet–and fabulous preparation make The Broken Bread a special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Super Good!TheEaterDined on 5/11/2013Broken Bread was very good! Hard to find places like this outside of Portland. Great food, great atmosphere, great service:) excellent restaurant!Special Features:
- DinnerLauraDined on 5/10/2013had to wait a few minutes even though we had reservations.ordered an appetizer it took 37 minute to get .Was just placed on our table and walked away. Well like most people I would like to know what some of the random condiments were on platter.Like the 3 different colored piles of salt? It wasn't in the menus discription. My husbands food was nothing spectacular and my risotto had partially cooked beans in it with large chunks of rock salt through out like eating sand at the beach. Just to mention that was not supposed to be part of my meal. We were going there to try thing out and purchase a gift card for my mom and in the first bite I knew that was not an option. I would not send my mom there or recommend it to any one I know.
- I travel for work and findingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2013I travel for work and finding "real" food presented well is not as common as it should be, but Break Bread knocked it out of the park. My dinner companions from Alaska, and New Mexico were also impressed. Since I was the one that had chosen the restaurant for dinner, the kept telling me I had found a gem.Special Features:
- Best in SalemOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/20/2013Food is always fresh, menu varied, use local products, fish is always cooked perfectly.Special Features:
- Broken Bread for dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/9/2013Broken Bread is a unique restaurant in that the concept is about food fresh from farm to table. The food was excellent and the staff/owners made the evening exceptionally special. The menu changes with availability. I chose Halibut with quinoa lentil pilaf and veggies from the specials of the day. The halibut had an aioli sauce that made the fish heaven and the veggies and pilaf had a wonderful blend of herbs. This is a great place for special occasions, or any excuse for a dinning expense.Special Features:
- Food was excellent....atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 4/6/2013Food was excellent....atmosphere is terrific. Service was excellent.Special Features:
- We had eaten at Broken BreadscarfalopolisDined on 4/6/2013We had eaten at Broken Bread several times before they relocated to High Street. The previous location was harder to access but very charming. We are concerned about this location because it does not have a good track record and we do not want Broken Bread to go under. The menu is wonderfully inventive and the presentations are marvelous. The wait staff is very friendly without being intrusive.Special Features:
- First time at this restraunt.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/13/2013First time at this restraunt. Main draw is that it sources its food locally which is very important to us. The service is very good and friendly. My partner and I started with appetizers that included dates stuffed with cheese, vinegar and balsamic for the bread, and a nice pate. All of the appetizers were very good. for entrees I had the beef eye of round and my partner had some kind of pork medallions. We both had salads. The salads were great. Fresh and vibrant. the veggies were very good, and my partner like the pork. The one dissapointment for me was that the beef was dry and not moist and succulent. I thought that since it was roasted it would be juicy, and perhaps it was cooked to long. All in all a pleasant experience.Special Features:
- What a GREAT find! ExcellentOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 3/7/2013What a GREAT find! Excellent in all respects- this will be a regular stop for us. Salem NEEDED this so bad!Special Features:
- Excellent food preparationOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/6/2013Excellent food preparation and presentation. Very attentive service. Overall pleasant experience.Special Features:
- Farm to Fork goodnessOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/2/2013Very good "Farm to Fork" meals. Service was fabulous! Friendly, welcoming staff. Time between ordering and receiving our meals was a bit long but we were comfortable and busy chatting so not really sure how much time elapsed! Our dessert choice (cupcake) was not good - very dense and dry. But everything else was good. The appetizer board was a great choice.Special Features:
- We really enjoyed the variousOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013We really enjoyed the various dishes we tried, especially the wonderful roasted veggies and squash that accompanied a couple of the entrees. My pet peeve is good restaurants that fail in the veggie department. Broken Bread is a winner.Special Features:
- Service was very attentive.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2013Service was very attentive. It was not crowded the day we went. I wish so strongly about the concept of local sourcing of food that I wish Broken Bread would be more vocal about what they are doing. They are doing great things but, if you didn't know they sourced locally, you might miss it when reading the menu. I'd even suggest a display board or menu page specifying which local suppliers they work with. Price is a little high for Salem but I'll pay it for local sourcing.Special Features:
- I have been to Broken BreadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013I have been to Broken Bread two times and the meals were great! They were delicious and the presentation was beautiful! My friends, family and I had a very enjoyable time. Patricia, Dallas ORSpecial Features:
- We enjoyed our service veryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/23/2013We enjoyed our service very much, but the entrees were not what we had expected. The lasagna was tasty and had lots of meat, but very little pasta. My husband had the Turkey Stroganoff and felt it was too spicy. This was not addressed in description. He also did not care for the preparation. Our friends enjoyed their sole, although it was not much fish for the price. I think we will stick to this as a lunch spot. Our server was great!Special Features:
- So nice to eat healthy, local,OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/21/2013So nice to eat healthy, local, delicious food in Salem. I rarely go out to eat because I avoid GMOs and artificial ingredients but Broken Bread is now on my list of places to visit again.Special Features:
- Broken Bread was a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2013Broken Bread was a wonderful discovery. The menu changes daily and features local foods from local farms. Everyone in our group of 4party of 4 agreed that we all had great meals, beautifully presented and delicious! The staff was pleasant, informative, and attentive. We were all very pleased and look forward to returning.Special Features:
- We enjoyed our meal, althoughOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013We enjoyed our meal, although felt that the portions were quite small, considering the price. My husband had halibut and enjoyed it very much. I had a shrimp pasta with roasted red pepper sauce. It was tasty but the chef had seasoned it with very large salt crystals. I almost broke a tooth on it! I wouldn't order that again, but would try another dish.Special Features:
- The Pork chop was dry andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2013The Pork chop was dry and for the price of the meal the glass of wine was skimpy.Special Features:
- This place is a gem, and theirOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 2/14/2013This place is a gem, and their new location only makes it better. The menu is changing and features farm to table fare, is imaginative and well prepared. The portions are just right and you don't leave the table feeling over full or hungry. Selections are well priced. The new location features a pleasant atmosphere in a modern, clean environment. We had dinner there 2/14 and I had the baked halibut. It was a generous portion, about an inch thick. It was cooked to perfection; not overdone, quite moist. We've had lunch there as well and have never been disappointed. The wine list features many great wines well priced. The waitstaff is friendly and attentive without being overbearing.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant withLakeViewDined on 2/14/2013Very nice restaurant with a European flair. I checked kid friendly above but maybe I have been led astray by the crayons on the tables. I didn't see any "kid" food on the menu and there were no children in attendance. It seems really more like a place for grown ups. Perhaps the crayons were intended for us. The tables were covered with white paper that is perhaps irresistible to doodlers. The food was excellent, well plated and presented. We had halibut that was cooked to perfection. The wine list was small but good and did not have the usual suspects that we often find in local restaurants. The outdoor seating will be wildly popular when the temperatures improve a bit. The wait staff were well informed. We will go backSpecial Features:
- Local pork prepared perfectlyOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Local pork prepared perfectly with excellent service.Special Features:
- The food and service wereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/9/2013The food and service were terrific.... thank you. The only low spots were the lack of conventional soft drinks (ie-Coke, etc)and non-alcoholic beer....no real biggies tho!Special Features:
- Our lunch was fantastic. DessertOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/6/2013Our lunch was fantastic. Dessert first was wonderful. Wandering Aengus on the beverage list was AWESOME!!! I love the new spot! So much better than West Salem!!Special Features:
- This is definately Fit forOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/30/2013This is definately Fit for Foodies and they change their menu daily. It's pointless to complain about having something consistent on the menu, that's not the point of this place. That's what Applebee's is for. I love the Farm to Table concept. I've been here twice and both times have been great.Special Features:
- We were promptly greeted byOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/11/2013We were promptly greeted by wait staff. I told him I had a reservation for 2 and he asked me if I wanted to be seated in a corner table with a large column in front of it. I said no I would like a table where I could look at the new renovations they had done to the restaurant. He immediately found another table and it was much better but a bit drafty. The waiter was very pleasant and helpful. The food was delivered promptly. The food was outstanding. We both ordered a seafood fetticuni. The seafood was perfectly cooked and the sauce was very tasty. This is my first visit to this location and my third visit overall. Outstanding food and very good customer service.Special Features:
- My friend and I enjoyed ourOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/4/2013My friend and I enjoyed our dinners, especially the beet soup. Service was excellent, but menu choices are a bit limited. It seemed as if the restaurant ran out of some items, and we were there at 5:30PM which I consider early for dinner. I would hope the restaurant might include some traditional items such as an onion soup or green salad which would always be available for the picky eaters. Overall I would visit again for either lunch or dinner.Special Features:
- Young servers did not haveOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 12/31/2012Young servers did not have good knowledge of the wine list. An appitizer was never brought to the table. Food was delicious and well plated. Ambiance was left to be desired. softer lighting would help. The food, however, was splendid!Special Features:
- I love that menu changes dailyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012I love that menu changes daily due to what is fresh and available in our wreathes prices for some may be high, but for a special occasion it's worth it.Special Features:
- Very good food. Though notOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2012Very good food. Though not a vegetarian, I ordered the winter squash with vegetable gratin. Delicious! Knowing that BB uses local ingredients is a plus. The cost is the only consideration for our return. Fair price for a VERY nice and locally sourced dinner--not a place we will go to on a regular basis, though. Staff was kind and accommodating. Plan to return for special occasions. Will recommend to foodie friends!Special Features:
- Fresh food that tastes good.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/19/2012Fresh food that tastes good. My only complaint is that the menu changes with each visit so the item I really enjoyed at the last visit probably won't be available on the next visit. I had a great pulled pork sandwich three weeks ago, but when I had lunch on Wednesday, that was off the menu. I'm anxious to see the menu options in the spring and summer when fresh fruit and vegetables are more plentiful. Overall, good food (although the price is a little high for lunch).Special Features:
- The food was outstanding andcomfortmanDined on 12/15/2012The food was outstanding and prepared with good flavor and look. Service was excellent. The idea that it was local farm to food made it even a more enjoyable outing as we are supporting local farms.Special Features:
- The experience overall wasOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/5/2012The experience overall was good. I took some employees to lunch there. I had the quiche and so did a co-worker. I hate to say it but the quiche was bland and it had the consistency of meringue pie. While we ate most of it, because we were hungry, we would not order again. The other people ordered the ravioli which had great reviews and and sandwich. The bread that was served was also good as well. I would recommend some menu items that are more mainstream and not so "foodie" in order to give some not so adventerous people in the group more options. I would go again.Special Features:
- I had the lamb burger andOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012I had the lamb burger and it was fantastic. My mouth is watering just thinking about it.Special Features:
- Menu was a little quirky,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/24/2012Menu was a little quirky, loved that. Flavorful, but not heavy. Fresh take on classics. Orange-infused Creme Brulee' - perfect hint of orange.Special Features:
- Fancy FunOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/19/2012The lamb was delicious and the deserts as well! Staff was friendly and helpful. The tables were covered in white paper and we were given crayons to draw on them. The food was classy, beautiful, fancy, delicious and the atmosphere was relaxed and inspired creativity. It's a great place to enjoy food and friends!Special Features:
- OUTSTANDING FOOD AND SERVICE.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/2/2012OUTSTANDING FOOD AND SERVICE. WE LOOK FORWARD TO GOING TO THEIR NEW LOCATION IN DOWNTOWN SALEM AT CENTER AND HIGH STREET IN NOVEMBER. WOULD DEFINITELY RECOMMEND PEOPLE GOING.Special Features: