1235 Coast Blvd.
La Jolla, CA 92037Neighborhood:
La Jolla / Golden Triangle
CalifornianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brocktonvilla.com/
- Phone: 8584547393
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 8:00am - 12:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 8:00am - 3:00pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 3:00pm; Limited Late Lunch: Daily 3:00pm - 5:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Californian
- Executive Chef: Mareyja Sisbarro
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Fireplace, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wine
Brockton Villa is a beautiful historic home converted into a restaurant located directly across from the ocean. Our seaside location offers a spectacular view of the world-famous La Jolla Cove, and has become a favorite "show off" spot for locals and visitors alike. We are known for our breakfasts, including our famous Coast Toast. Our chef creates many other wonderful dishes seasonally for lunch and our dinner service.
Our house is the perfect place for you to host your next party. Whether it be a wedding reception, rehearsal dinner, baptism, bridal shower, baby shower, or any special occasion.
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerCalifornian
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
- Fantastic ViewdiascundDined on 10/16/2014We had lunch with friends here on a beautiful day. Fantastic view of the ocean and the Cove. We sat outside and had great service and a delicious lunch.Special Features:
- Lovely place to brunchKTaylorDined on 10/14/2014As has been mentioned in other reviews, the smell could probably get overwhelming in the middle of the day (especially in summer)...but what do you expect right next door to the home to a bunch of sea lions??!?! Eat inside if it bothers you that much, you can still see the stunning view. We had the Naughty Burrito and Crab Cake Benedict, both were quite delicious and good portions. Our servers were fantastic and kept our coffee cups full. And it was fun to hear the sea lions "barking" at each other as we ate. Then a tiny stroll down to the beach to stick our toes in the sand, and watch the sea lions playing around. All in all, a great way to start the day...and free parking!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food BUT.........ShellyVIPDined on 10/10/2014Funny smell because of the birds. Good food but slow serviceSpecial Features:
- nice beach view, food fairMLNadoDined on 10/3/2014nice beach ambience. friendly service. food, meh.Special Features:
- Unappetizing to the bellychilipoodleVIPDined on 10/1/2014The breeze of bird poo while you eat and the constant fly swatting does not help with eating in peace. I would not go back again, but the location is very nice - beach front. I'd much rather walk along the coast than eat at Brockton Villa. The food was mediocre, nothing memorable besides the extremely sweet chocolate espresso brulee.Special Features:
- Great view and ambienceVegeinoutDined on 9/30/2014We ordered fish tacos and the veggie plate. The kids are the fish tacos. The fish was over cooked and tough and very peppered, the kids endured as they were very hungry but left quite a lot in the end. The veggie plate was below average, the quinoa and carrots were undercooked. The cilantro coconut rice dish composed of white rice with a can of coconut milk poured into it was chopped herbs. I had to squeeze lime over it to make it palatable. You don't come here for the food but for the excellent view. The servers were attentive. They need a talented chef to take this place to the next level.Special Features:
- Iconic venue since 1894.KookyGirlDined on 9/29/2014unfortunately the pelicans that reside on the neighboring beach caused some stench.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Homey feel with great foodkirstenb21VIPDined on 9/29/2014We really enjoyed our recent dining experience here. It was restaurant week so we took advantage of the 3 course special. Did not disappoint! View was very nice as well and I'm sure at a different time of year, the sunsets would be amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Check the smellOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/28/2014We had to leave before being served. The stench off the water was so overwhelming that we had to leave -- totally lost our appetite. Restaurant pumped in fragrance but it just couldn't cover sufficiently. Suggest checking the smell before planning to dine in this area.
- food is okbonmanVIPDined on 9/28/2014Used to frequent this restaurant years ago... Quality of food has gone way down. Ordered the signature coast toast. Was a bit bland.
- Great choice 4 San Diego rest. WeekSDRWeaterDined on 9/26/2014The chowder is AMAZING! Service was good. Only downfall was that at dinner gusts of wind would bring the smell of the nearby seals over to our seating area on the balconySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/26/2014This restaurant has delicious food and a fabulous view. There is an odor from the seals that is less in the am and better the higher up in the restaurant you sit. Worth the view, the food and the service!Special Features:
- nice viewmaggiebooksDined on 9/24/2014I had a hard time choosing which items to have. I'll have to go back to try what I missed, especially the chowder. Sadly, with stairs, we couldn't bring mom, but we had a great time.Special Features:
- love the place except sealion smellspiceoflifeDined on 9/24/2014Absolutely love this place. Great food - the Coast Toast is my favorite. very friendly staff. The views are amazing. But the smell of the sea lions is getting pretty bad.Special Features:
- Brockton Villa--a local favorite!HipsterMom48Dined on 9/22/2014Brockton Villa always delivers. Food is great, view is lovely, service is terrific. We always bring out-of-town guests to the BV because it's just so darn NICE. It's not romantic in a "SplashyRosesAndChocolate" way... it's quiet and sweet and out of the way... and you look like the made the EFFORT to pick someplace where you can chat and sip a glass of wine or a cup of coffee with your sweetie. If you just want to have a beer (local!) with a couple of work mates after a busy day, you can do that here too. We LOVE the Brockton Villa. Oh, and the view is pretty nice too.Special Features:
- JackieDined on 9/21/2014The food was delicious and the service excellent. Now, if the birds and the seals would just move away and allow the sea and wind to get rid of the smell, the ambiance would also be 5 stars!Special Features:
- What a view!ScootermacDined on 9/15/2014One of the best views in La Jolla Cove. Be aware of the stench that can blow in from to ocean however especially at low tide. Breakfast options are better than lunch/dinner in my opinion but the wonderful staff and historic building make it a charming and memorable location to take out of town guests. Especially with that view!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice dinnerTommytitanDined on 9/14/2014Good food, great service and view. Gotta try their chowder!Special Features:
- Great for Brunch or DinnerjgreyoneDined on 9/11/2014This was my second visit to Brockton Villa and on both occasions the food was excellent, as was the service. Although I did not notice it on my first visit to the restaurant for brunch a couple of years, on this visit for dinner the unpleasant smells rising from the birds and sea lions on the rocks below made enjoying my meal very difficult. For anyone with a weak stomach, I'd recommend indoor dining rather than eating outdoors.Special Features:
- Recommendable placesdfoodloverDined on 9/10/2014They serve tasty food and their service is notable. Besides, the price is reasonable. That's why I visit here with my friends and family who visit me in San Diego.Special Features:
- sen2007VIPDined on 9/8/2014We were visiting our son in La Jolla and this treat was on him. The Cove is beautiful at sunset as we sat on the balcony upstairs with wide ocean views. The food and service were great- I really savored my epic chowder and shrimp wraps with mango/avocado as did my husband his ginger chili salmon. Our boys went for the tasty fish tacos and burger- this is a good seafood place and we enjoyed our family get together on this full moon night as we strolled out to the cove. For afters the dessert complemented it well- a delicious trio of creme brulee and a generous scoop of coconut ice cream- added much to this special occasion!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Smell Your NeighborsStenchDined on 9/7/2014Why would anyone want to have breakfast with such foul smelling neighbors!
- scenic spotlovetoeathomeDined on 9/6/2014Great place to take out of town guests - great view but bad smell from sea lions. Good service, not so impressive food (corned beef hash too oily, sliced tomatoes not fresh, almost spoiled). Our friends from New York enjoyed their food though, and the spot is in a perfect location.Special Features:
- Disappointed at ServiceERochelleVIPDined on 9/1/2014My fiance and I always recommended this place. The Coast Toast is amazing. But, after our experience, we will not be back. We saw the waitress twice during our entire visit, once when she took our order (after we sat for 15 minutes after being seated), and once to bring the check. In between that my fiance's order came out wrong and had to be remade, which took another 15 minutes. She never came by to mention the mistake. We never saw her again after she brought the check--someone else picked it up. The food is just okay, and the service wasn't great, so we have no real reason to go back, especially with so many other options in San Diego. Yes, the view is great. But that's about it.Special Features:
- Noisylive2dineDined on 8/31/2014The view was great and it got even better at sunset. The servers were friendly and our water glasses were always full. The salmon dish was good, but the baby bok choy was over cooked. Good wine list but limited selections. Will dine here during the week night to see if the dinner menu is better. Be aware of the loud road noise with the heavy traffic on Coast Blvd.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2014Great service, nice view, and the food was good. We used the public parking garage just before the restaurant since this was a busy weekend. There was a smell from the sea lions if the wind blew in, we just ignored it and enjoyed our time like everyone else.Special Features:
- Great food and dining serviceGeomiDined on 8/30/2014The scenery overlooking La Jolla Cove was spectacular. The restaurant could be modernized to better match the wonderful dining experience. Of note to all who dine here is the pungent low tide odor that seems to prevail based on the restaurant's location. Other other restaurants which are much higher on the bluff do not have this problem. Food was excellent.Special Features:
- Great view, nothing moreOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/30/2014The view is beautiful. The rest is fair at best. There are sea lions across the street and the smell is overwhelming. Outdoor dining with horrible odors. You literally gag from the smell.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/25/2014I've eaten at Brockton Villa for breakfast, lunch and dinner and it never disappoints. It's my go to place for out of town guests. I had the scallops crusted with macadamia nuts for dinner and it was outstanding. My friend had salmon with quinoa and broccolini which she also enjoyed. I appreciate the healthy and inventive choices on the menu. We ate outside on the patio and in spite of the stench from the cove on a warm afternoon, we really couldn't smell it from the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely patioSsackl10Dined on 8/23/2014The restaurang is very lovely, food tasty. The smell of seals moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NiceHotperroDined on 8/22/2014Very nice And pretty resturant witch sea lions on The bay .... The food in ok according to my expectations And The service was friendlySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedAnonymousDined on 8/21/2014For brunch on a Thursday, finding parking was almost impossible. The stench from the oceanside made it impossible to sit outdoors as we had planned. It made us nauseous. The food was OK. The service was very nice.Special Features:
- Nice findMuddycr33kDined on 8/20/2014Brockton Villa is a great venue with attentive service. Great prices on their menu as well in La Jolla which is great. Fish Tacos were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RelaxingHeloise60Dined on 8/19/2014This was a pleasant and relaxing experience with good food and very friendly service. I recommend it - better than some of the more prominent names in La Jolla.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/16/2014Delicious food! Loved the Coast Toast and the Ginger Salmon! The servers were attentive and friendly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- quite scenicDinerGirlDined on 8/16/2014A friend and I had dinner here just for the view and we received just what the doctor ordered....it was pretty spectacular. The cove itself stunk from the sea lions but to no fault of the restaurant. The service was great - we really liked our server. The food was good as well. I would definitely recommend dining here just for the scenic view alone - the food is secondary.Special Features:
- Great view, service can't be beat!ChouxDined on 8/16/2014We always love Brockton Villa, the people are exceptionally nice whether it's breakfast lunch or dinner. Sun. Andrew was our server, couldn't have been nicerSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CuteOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/15/2014I had no idea of the rich history Brockton villa had in La Jolla. The restaraunt is small but the food and service were excellent. Though they are known for their fish dishes, do not be afraid to try it all.Special Features:
- Best breakfast spot in San DiegoBen68Dined on 8/15/2014I love the legendary and super tasty cove toast and the beautiful setting, including the ocean view and the wildlife with seals and pelicans.Special Features:
- Sunset viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Took my gf here for a sunset view, we sat outside and had a great view of the sunset and got some great pics.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.