Briscola - Reno
2500 E. Second Avenue
Reno, NV 89595Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Briscola - Reno
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.charliepalmer.com/Properties/Briscola/
- Phone: 7757892456
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday-Thursday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm; Friday-Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian
- Executive Chef: David Holman
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Charlie Palmer catering can provide food and beverages for any occasion and party size. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination. Please call 775-789-2456 for event inquiries.
- Private Party Facilities: Briscola can accommodate parties of up to 100 guests with exclusive use of the restaurant space.
- Private Party Contact: Dave Grayden 7757892456
A word from Briscola - Reno
The spirit of abbondanza prevails at Briscola, Charlie Palmer's newest restaurant at Grand Sierra Resort. Under the direction of Executive Chef Dave Holman, small plate offerings, including Parmigiano rice cakes, and hand-cut fresh pastas accompany main course dishes that take a light approach to classical Italian cooking, from grilled lamb chops with eggplant caponata and creamy polenta to crispy barramundi with fennel and tomato stuffing. Briscola, a traditional Italian card game, inspired the club-like comfortable décor, and in characteristic Roman-style, the dining room with vaulted ceiling is almost like eating in a wine cave. An over-sized wooden table used as a meat station takes center stage, and the fire-truck red Berkel meat slicer guarantees that salume and prosciutto are hand-cut and arranged to order.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Briscola - Reno - Best Restaurants in Reno ›
Briscola - Reno reviews from OpenTable diners
35 reviews since July 3, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (18)good for groups (11)romantic (10)fit for foodies (10)notable wine list (7)neighborhood gem (4)kid-friendly (3)late-night find (3)hot spot (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Not for every week diningrkpowellDined on 10/24/2014This is okay if you must be at GSR for something, but it is just a fancy Olive Garden when all is said and done. Nothing too special.Special Features:
- call Restauarnt impossibleDtiniDined on 10/21/2014I was so looking forward to dinner here, never been so disapointed. 6 of us for dinner and all had the same responsefood was cold, flavorless and not appealing. Not one of us could eat the minastrone soup, has a taste of ABC soup less the flavor, just water and some really starge pasta pieces. I order the Pene Alla Vodka, a dish I generally love, I added grilled chicken, ZERO flavor and no doubt frozen fake grilled chicken. I asked them no please take it away and didnot reorder anything. The server returned and told me it must be due to being late (9pm), really ??? he told me that the chef would like to talk to us NEXT time we come in and perhaps make something special for us, NEXT time ? REALLY??? Clearly they have no concern.
- Never againGhostwriterDined on 10/15/2014Perfect if you like slimy salad, rubbery pasta, and dessicated cake that was so dry it could not be eaten. Seriously, a third rate Olive Garden would have been better
- Big PortionsKarenrenoDined on 10/8/2014Went with a group of seven. The appetizers were very good, had the meatballs (highly recommend) and the bruschetta (very good as well). Some of the entrees were so large, we felt like we were at Claim Jumpers. Although the food was good (short ribs, seafood special, veal), some of us were turned off by the portion size. The wine list and the service was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food / Great Value!TerriJVIPDined on 9/20/2014If you are looking for good Italian food at great prices, this is the place!
- Outstanding Value!rbtmharrisDined on 9/20/2014Nice find inside the Grand Sierra Resort...reasonable prices, wide selection of pasta and meat entrees...would recommend in a heartbeat!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FinallyEvilOreoVIPDined on 9/19/2014We love Charlie Palmer steak and this was our first time trying Briscola. Very YUM! Meatball appetizer is a definite must. The Salmon was delicious and my husband had the special which I actually can't remember wht it was but he was quite happy with it!Special Features:
- Great service and delicious foodbj916Dined on 9/5/2014I had the lasagna, it was really good. Our friend had the linguini with clams, excellent! My husband had mushroom pasta with scallops and ate every bite! Stuffed mushroom appetizers were super yummy! Service was great, very attentive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I keep going back!!!renodeanVIPDined on 8/22/2014The food is great. They make their own pasta in-house. It's a Charlie Palmer restaurant so you really can't go wrong. I've tried several different dishes here and loved each one. Their house salad is great too. The service has always been great (and they have great looking waiters too!). So, great food, great service and eye candy. What more could you ask for???Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Evening,ChewsyDined on 8/16/2014Ate here while staying at GSR with family. I had the lasagna, which was a large portion. It was good, but have had better at a little Italian restaurant Cruscos in Angels Camp, have not found anyplace that tops theirs. The salads had too much dressing on them, if you don't like alot I would order it on the side. Also the wait staff kept interrupting too much and seemed hurried even though they had alot of open tables.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday dinnerEddieVIPDined on 8/14/2014Everything is always great at Briscola. It was a party of 5. We ordered a bottle of Italian wine and a few appetizers to go along with our dinner. I highly recommend the stuffed mushrooms, and calamari. We had the veal saltimbocca, veal & the chicken parmesan, filet mignon, and halibut dinner. The only questionable item was the halibut. I was a bit disappointed with the overcooked fish. It's a rare issue for Briscola. They are always excellent when it comes to the foods temperature. The staff was very attentive. We'll keep coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Italian FareGerryDined on 8/13/2014Upscale Italian restaurant on Restaurant Row in the Grand Sierra Resort. Wine list is a little weak and a little on the expensive side for the choices offered. Very limited on Italian wines and no Pinot Grigio on the list. Service was attentive without being overbearing. Both the house and the Caesar salads were very good. Entrees were very reasonably priced. We enjoyed the seafood linguine and the spaghetti carbonara. They were both excellent. We are not dessert eaters but rumor has it their tiramisu is very good. Downside. It seems you cannot go to a restaurant for a special occasion anymore that you won't find someone in shorts, tee shirt and a baseball hat at the next table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent FoodAquinteroDined on 8/7/2014Great food and environment. You don't realize your in a casino at all. We even took our 3 year old with us.Special Features:
- Best Italian in RenoLuvLunchDined on 8/2/2014We have tried several italian restaurants in Reno Casino's as it is a favorite food of ours. This was by far the best we have had. The service was impeccable. The short rib didn't require a knife and the eggplant parm was delicate and not tough at all. Will be back next time we are in the area!Special Features:
- Needs improvementhmbladyDined on 8/1/2014Disappointed, needs improvement. Even with a reservation, still had to wait for our table. Service was marginal at best. The food was a huge disappointment, both in presentation and taste. Not sure what has happened at this restaurant, used to be amazing. The menu has changed, not for the better either. I am sorry to say that I recommended Briscola to others. I hope that this place improves soon or it won't last much longer, I am not the only person that has been disappointed there lately.
- Weren't prepared for crowdsRvdinerDined on 7/30/2014Wine list was pricey, and they ran out of affordable house wine. Also ran out of cannoli on the desert menu.Special Features:
- BriscollaSacrateDined on 7/24/2014The good was meh, I wouldn't go there again unless I was invited. Service was excellent and we were asked any times how things were and they make it feel like a real fine dinning restraunt. Atmosphere was fun tooSpecial Features:
- Did No Good to Have a Reservation!rkpowellDined on 7/18/2014We arrived at 7:25 pm for a 7:30 pm reservation. We were told "your table is getting prepared". 30 minutes later we are still not called for our "prepared table". 35 minutes later we were jammed into a corner with literally a couple sitting 12" from ours. It was like we were all dining together. The food was adequate, nothing special. A little over-priced for what you get. I would only go there if I were seeing a show or something, not as something I particularly would put in my everyday places to dine!Special Features:
- LizzyDined on 7/18/2014Great food, Pasta made from scratch. Gelato is delicious, nice staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CookieVIPDined on 7/18/2014We stayed at GSR. I have only been to one Charlie Palmer restaurant in Yountville and it was delicious. I was pleasantly surprised with Briscola. Yummy! A+ The homemade garlic bread to start was warm & fresh. I ordered the spaghetti bolognese with a homemade meatball.... The best! Highly recommendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service left a lot to be desired!PatcoxDined on 7/18/2014After much contemplation, we were seated. they told us the wait was to get our table ready! Are you kidding? It was 6pm. There was no one in the restaurant. Then we waited 10 minutes for our waitress to come to our table. We actually had to flag some one down to go get her! When she got to the table she asked if we were ready to order. We had not even been offered a cocktail! When she brought the cocktails she asked if we were ready to order. The meal came and it was adequate. Nothing special. We had to beg for seconds on our cocktails! Total inexperience. Anyone knows, the money is made on drinks!
- The following 269 reviews are from the Briscola - Reno reviews archive.
- Surprisingly good!BHReviewer2VIPDined on 6/28/2014Hotel restaurants are usually not my favorite but we had a very nice dinner - the menu was extensive offering good choices whether you wanted a light or heavy meal. Our server was knowledgeable of the wine list and made good recommendations. As an aside we also noticed that the Reno restaurants don't rush you out to get back to the gaming tables as they do in Las Vegas. The cheese platter offered a good selection, the minestrone was excellent, the pastas were well sauced and the halibut was prepared nicely. We will definitely return next time we are in Reno.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service ruined the experienceAdamVIPDined on 6/28/2014Server was bored and forgot to follow up. Items delivered were not what we ordered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, food and atmosphereTravel2dineDined on 6/19/2014It's always a challenge going to an Italian Restaurant if on a Paleo Diet; however, Briscola has ample selections on the menu and Specials that don't leave you wanting for pasta. The chef is also accommodating in providing Paleo substitutes. The steamers were perfectly done in a broth that was "slurpable!" The filet was tender, tasty and perfectly cooked with sides of asparagus and ratatouille instead of the creamy potatoes. The house salad was crisp, fresh and had just the right amount of dressing. Watching other diners surrounding us eating pasta, sure caused come pangs of regret, but the portions provided to us eased these pangs. Biscola caters to the locals as well as the Casino visitors.Special Features:
- Reno's best italian? Nope!Foodie2Dined on 5/10/2014Service was outstanding but that was the only highlight of the evening. Wine list was limited and low quality. Food quality was on par with cafeteria food. Seafood pasta special was bland and pasta overcooked. Sea bass looked like a processed piece of fish from a McDonalds fish sandwich. The atmosphere was vintage 70's. Very disappointing. Charlie Palmer should be embarrassed to have his name associated with this restaurant.
- A good Reno hotel restaurantmegkDined on 4/17/2014The wine list was very disappointing: only four Chardonnays. In light of the fact that there is a well-stocked wine-tasting bar a hundred feet away, this is hard to understand. The dinner specials were good, but each had a minor flaw (tough pasta, under-seasoned fish). The creme brulee was outstanding, though. The regular menu has most of the standard Italian offerings but nothing unique which surprised me. Only two specials on offer. The service was great. Whether this was due to the fact that the restaurant was not at all busy, I can't say, but our waiter had a great personalty and we couldn't have asked for a better experience in that regard.
- Our group ordered a varietySusanDined on 3/21/2014Our group ordered a variety of meals: grilled sea bass, veal chop, filet mignon, and all were just terrific. We raved about it! The portions, while not large, were perfect. The minestrone soup appetizer and salad appetizers were outstanding. Service was very attentive. Only thought that I'd add is the wine list seemed quite expensive and somewhat limited, especially those offered by the glass. We will definitely return when we want a 'special place.'Special Features:
- Dissapointed.ImpressedDined on 3/15/2014Service was good . I ordered Filet Mignon with Lobster Tail. Tail was plane, Zero flavor strong smell. Filet was ok, i have had better. Served with under a cup of Mashed potatoes which were very good, Saute veggies were ok. Moscato was delicious. I paid 73.00 for my bill. There was 9 of us. I will not return.Special Features:
- Missed the MarkFoodieDined on 3/8/2014The fair and somewhat disorganized service hurt the overall dining experience. If you call yourself a fine dining restaurant, then you shouldn't have to flag down the hostess to notify the waiter that we had not been greeted after being seated for 10 minutes. When you order a bottle of wine at Briscola, it only gets poured the first time. We had to be remind the server that we did not have forks to eat our main course (the first two were used during the salad and appetizer). The salad was very good as well as the butternut squash ravioli. The osso buco was cooked perfectly. The risotto was cooked inconsistently and slightly bland. The fettuccine alfredo with shrimp was prepared very well. It's a shame that I cannot recommend Briscola.
- Great Food & Wonderful FlavorsJonnyDDined on 2/28/2014Very well prepared and presented Italian cuisine. Handmade pastas, fresh mozzarella, succulent veal, it's all there. Their wine list is somewhat limited but their strength is in the food. Take you time to enjoy the flavors and experience a nice Italian dinner. The ambience suffered a bit due to the noisiness of the casino. We happened to be seated near the front of the restaurant (closest to the casino) if you want a quieter evening I would suggest that you request being seated in the back area behind the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waiter, Brandon, was excellent.RobertDined on 2/21/2014Our waiter, Brandon, was excellent. Great service. Food was fantastic--ziti was great, steak and lobster was very good and the pasta, lobster and scallop was magnificent. The dessert was out of this world-so good. Low prices, great food and service.Special Features:
- C. Palmer Steakhouse Much BetterDiscriminatingVIPDined on 2/21/2014Briscola seems like an afterthought after Charlie got it right on with his steakhouse. The spaghetti is mostly bland & tasteless. I had to abandon it after two bites. The Veal & Chicken Parmigiana & Pepperoni Pizza were just a bit better. We left 1/2 the pizza & took nothing home. The wait staff was very good. 2nd time I've tried this place out and that's it. I will definitely not be going back. If you want excellent Italian go to Vegas & try out a place called Ferraro's. Pricey but best Veal Saltimboca I've ever had! Skip Briscola & go to Charlie's steakhouse next door, even though that's over-priced. At least the food is closer to what you're paying for. PS...The French Onion soup is to die for but watch out! It stays HOT forever!
- Very noisy. Had a reservationrkpowellDined on 2/15/2014Very noisy. Had a reservation and still had to wait. Jammed in there like sardines. After the hustle and bustle of getting seated, all went well. The food is nothing special. The server was outstanding.Special Features:
- Not so thrilledDaveDined on 2/15/2014I found the noise level very high and the tables too small and close together. I had Linguini with Clams and added Scallops for an extra charge and got 2 scallops. The pasta was overcooked and very soft. I doubt I will return there on my next visit to Reno.
- Very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 2/14/2014Highly disappointed...the food was well below par. The pasta overly salty the clams and clam sauce very bland the saving grace of the meal was the Caesar salad and shrimp app that I had. Service was ok but it seemed my waiter had more tables than he could handle I expected more and won't be returning
- ExcellenceEddieVIPDined on 2/4/2014"complimenti allo chef". Chef Dave Holman did an outstanding job. For appetizers we ordered calamari and their Italian sausage. They were amazing. The minestrone soup and house salad were very tasty as well. For a main course my wife had the salmon, and I had sea bass. Let me tell you, this was the best and we've tried many places, the best salmon and sea bass of any other restaurant we've been to. The prices are very reasonable and the atmosphere couldn't be better, unless you were in Italy itself. Thanks to all the great staff for making us feel welcome. Do yourself a favor and try Briscola.Special Features:
- Nice RestaurantJillDined on 1/25/2014My husband and I enjoy dining here for both special occasions as well as a nice dinner going out. Service is always great and the food remains consistently good. The ambiance has always been warm and inviting. Although we don't have children, we noted that wait staff is particularly attentive to young diners. A very enjoyable restaurant for both casual and special dates and staff does particularly well with both large and small groups. Very neat and clean too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experiecerchipDined on 1/22/2014good food, but no one knew about the promotion, that was was on the website.Special Features:
- Awesome place, tasty food!EddieVIPDined on 1/18/2014I'm very happy we finally tried Briscola again. It had been some time, and they have a new chef. There is no way we would ever go back to any other Italian place. The food was amazing, the prices very reasonable. We highly recommend it. Do yourself a favor and try it.Special Features:
- NYEfoodieDined on 12/31/2013We dined here for NYE 2014 and even though our reservation was for later in the evening there was a table with many rambunctious children. I like children but maybe the parents should have settled them down. Our waitress was amazing and so was the steak. The chicken parm was a little dry.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.