266 College Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.briqnewhaven.com/
- Phone: (203) 891-7155
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from briq
Briq caters to the diverse and individual tastes of every guest providing an ideal mix of global tapas, "table-style" dining and a lively bar scene. Whether it’s dinner before a show, summer fun on the rooftop or cocktails in the lounge, there’s something for everyone. Our “one-of-a-kind”… historical townhouse, located in the center of downtown on College Street offers a unique and comfortable space. A perfect place to see and be seen, or lay low in a quiet niche.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
briq reviews from OpenTable diners
13 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (9)romantic (6)special occasion (5)neighborhood gem (4)great for outdoor dining (3)good for groups (2)late-night find (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (1)great for lunch (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- Glad we have it a chance.TammsbbVIPDined on 11/16/2014Had a really nice time here. Everything was really great. I loved the ricotta and crustini's. The risotto was also really yummy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- not badjenlc723Dined on 11/5/2014We went as a group of four for restaurant week and you could tell that they did not staff enough waiters for the night. The waiters were very friendly and good at their jobs but unfortunately we did not see much of them since they had so many other tables. I had the risotto, which wasn't anything to write home about. My husband had the steak, which was very good. I would not say this is one of New Haven's best restaurants but it wasn't bad either.Special Features:
- Excellent but ConservativeFoodieCoupleDined on 11/4/2014We went to Briq during Restaurant Week. The offerings were well-conceived and superbly prepared, if not gastronomically adventurous. First course: had an excellent beet salad (but doesn't everyone do an excellent beet salad these days?). My husband's crispy broccoli with a light miso dressing was delicious and memorable. My salmon over arugula was not terribly exciting, but was perfectly done, a nice sear on the exterior with perfect near rare center. My husband had a pork loin special over mashed potatoes -- good quantity and hearty well-balanced flavors. For dessert, my husband had a small caramel flan/custard and I had a chocolate cake that wasn't particularly noteworthy. Excellent service - good ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, could have been greatmalbardaDined on 10/25/2014We had a good meal at Briq, but with a little kitchen tweaking it could have been great. We ordered a bunch of small plates. One wasn't small: their burger but the waitress had informed us of that when ordering. The burger is full size. It was the tastiest thing of all our orders, together with the broccoli. The wings were also a hit. We also ordered Thai chicken meatballs which were OK. The lobster mashed potatoes came with a decent amount of lobster, but the potatoes lacked flavor, they were just mashed potatoes. The chef is encouraged to spice it up a little bit with those last two dishes! The music seemed a little out of place and the volume was turned up while the dining room filled.Special Features:
- pickyeaterInspiredDinerDined on 10/12/2014We loved Briq. The menu is small BUT has selections for every appetite. My only criticism is about the calamari, which came with a red sauce that was a little flat. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HOT FOODTantaVIPDined on 10/2/2014Finally found a place that serves food HOT! From the chef's stove to our table. Nothing lukewarm or left under a heat lamp. Surprised more were not there for dinner at 6pm on a Thursday night. But...maybe it's busier later. Everything tasted great. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big city experiencelkoster218Dined on 9/17/2014I felt like I was dining at a fashionable Manhattan eatery. The food we had was excellent and the waiter was knowledgable about the wines and menu. My colleague and I ordered the blistered peppers with goat cheese (more than enough for two), a spicy sausage from the charcuterie menu that came with fruit and toast points, the skinny fries (with a chipotle-esque aioli on the side, which is a huge improvement from it previously being served drench in the sauce), and the shrimp salsa (which packed a lot of flavor!). All in all, we had the right amount of food - some left overs but nothing hugely significant. We were satisfied with our wines, and the wine list has grown tremendously over the last nine months or so.Special Features:
- Try Taco TowerhappyfoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014It was $15 per person and good portion for 2. That maybe the cheapest great dinner I ever had in New Haven (cheaper than Chinese restaurant). The tower has 5 tapas-size plate of different food (don't worry, you will be quite full when you finish whole thing). So wrap the food and roll with the taco. It is VERY VERY delicious. Briq has a roof dinner area, which is amazing in summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 106 reviews are from the briq reviews archive.
- Great rooftopKathyDined on 7/9/2014Great outdoor seating and delicious food. Wine menu not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1bigEdVIPDined on 7/8/2014Usually the food is very good but this time many of the menu items were out, even out of coffee and tea!
- Won't be going backNickDined on 6/1/2014Will start with the high notes. The atmosphere and ambience was quite nice. Great rooftop area for food or drinks or both. The food was good, not great. The blistered padres peppers and goat cheese were a nice appetizer, the taco tower was laughable. Very small portions at $14.50 per person. The quantities brought to the table would have been good for 2 people dining, we had 4. Also they brought us 4 soft corn tortillas. We had to repeatedly ask for more of these and after the second request were told they were out and was given fried crispy "tostada" style tortillas instead. The service was all around horrific. Server could not comment on menu items, did not keep water glasses full and failed to ask us once I'd he could get us anything.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/18/2014Made reservation 3 mo in advance of Yale graduation for 9 people. We were running late. Restaurant was unwilling to accommodate a 30 minute change in reservation as "fully booked". Said they would cancel if we were more than 15 minutes late. Yet we saw plenty of open tables and few new parties arrived after us. Asked for bread and butter. Brought a plate with not enough pieces for our table. When we asked for more they brought a plate of stale pita and said they needed the bread "for other things." Food was mediocre at best. Tried to ask waiter how many taco towers to order for 9 people to share along with other items we ordered. Waiter would only suggest ordering 9 portions @ $14.50 each. Ended up ordering 2 which was more than enough.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2014Our son had gotten us a tasting here, so we went for our 36 wedding anniversary. We liked this location in it's previous beings. The decor was ok, but the smoke from the cigar store next door kept floating in, not good for my asthma at all. ANd there were only five people there, and the music was cranked, so my hard of hearing husband couldn't hear me, but I'm sure the rest of the restaurant could, as I had to shout. The waitstaff seemed undertrained, our water glasses were never refilled, and we were rushed throughout the evening. What should have ben a nice relaxing dinner was over in an hour, I was wheezing and tired from shouting. The food was nice, but I didn't really get a chance to savor it. Won't go back.Special Features:
- Complete letdownBengDined on 5/10/2014This placed appears so inviting and popular from the outside. And while the server was as sweet as could be, the food and drinks were - to be very frank - disgusting and borderline inedible. The only thing keeping us from sending it back was the friendliness of our waiter and our hunger. My beef and broccoli - the SIMPLEST chinese dish ever - was so over salted that each bit had to be followed by at least three huge gulps of water. My fiance had some sort of curry coconut shimp that looked really sad and was under seasoned. Moreover the alcoholic beverages tasted like gasoline (we both had cocktails). Do not go here.
- Disappointing!MellVIPDined on 4/26/2014We went here to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. We thought the diverse menu would serve our group of 8 well. Unfortunately, the service was very slow. There was no rhyme or reason for the rhythm of how the food came out of the kitchen. Many items were misrepresented on the menu, e.g. I ordered the brick chicken and was told by the server that it would be a boned 1/2 chicken. What came was just a breast. My daughter shared the taco tower for 2 with her boyfriend. I couldn't believe how stingy they were with the condiments. They literally had to share a shot glass size of salsa. Also, portions were small for the price. The greatest insult was the 20% auto gratuity added to our tab. Really 20% for mediocre service?
- Great Tapas & CocktailsALEXDined on 4/18/2014Briq offers interesting small plates, dinners & cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousamdmDined on 4/17/2014Briq (previously Bespoke) offered delicious and original tapas. The food and service were fantastic. The seating was suboptimal. Too close to other diners and would have preferred dining room instead of bar (table) seatingSpecial Features:
- Good food for the priceSassy521Dined on 4/15/2014Briq is a very nice place to dine. I saw the offer on Living Social and could not resist a chance to try something new. The tasting menu was very well planned out and there were choices on the menu that everyone could make. The only thing I didnt like but had to deal with is the cold draft from the front door. We were seated in the front/bar area that has large floor to ceiling windows. It was a chilly night (in the low 30's) and every time someone entered the front door (across from our seats) the cold air would come in. Also the bartender instructed a person to go out the doors in front of our table to smoke on their outside deck. I will be sure to visit again... In the SUMMER. :)Special Features:
- Mixed bagHamdenManDined on 4/15/2014Basically, some of the food was excellent, but some of it was terrible! For example, the broccoli table plate, though a tiny portion, was delicious. However, the lobster mashed potatoes were incredibly salty and tasted like they were made from dehydrated potato buds, and you couldn't even taste the tiny pieces of chopped lobster on top. Also, the service was really bad: waitstaff couldn't answer any questions, and they brought out our main dish before we received most of our table plates. In addition, most portions were very small, and at the exorbitant prices they charge it's definitely not worth it. To top it off, we smelled tobacco smoke several times during our visit. We won't return.
- Bad ExperienceRainbow2712Dined on 4/12/2014Several appetizers and desserts were unavailable on a special limited Living Social menu. We needed to ask for bread, water, plates, and silverware. Portions were small. It was disappointing, especially for my Saturday night date. :(Special Features:
- Thank you Restaurant Week1NutmeggerDined on 4/9/2014If not for Restaurant Week we would have never gone here - not that the place is bad - it is actually great but is kept a secret - there is no sign outside saying BRIQ - at least - we could not see any. Food was excellent and nicely served. Waitstaff was friendly, courteous and very professional (and young too) Despite the exposed surfaces (brick) we could talk and hear each other - Not too many people at our seating so we'll have to try it again on a busier night. Very cool bathroom and wash area. Place validates parking for the parking lot adjacent to the SchubertSpecial Features:
- ExcellentLynnDined on 4/5/2014Enjoyed our first time at this restaurant. The food was outstanding and wine great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food. Mediocre service.AuntBossyVIPDined on 3/27/2014I was disappointed in briq. The food was all right, certainly nothing to complain about, but the service was very disorganized and unprofessional. The waitperson was pleasant, but appeared so rushed it was as if she were running to my table, pitching the plate in place and taking off. When I arrived only one table was occupied, but as people arrived, four tables were served before I was. It also felt a little grimy. I'd say it is a nice neighborhood place with good food, but certainly not top-notch.Special Features:
- Food reviewceeceeDined on 3/22/2014My husband and I went to Briq for the first time. We found the small plates to be excellent. The taste, presentation, and variety were all top shelf. I would recommend this establishment highly. Can't wait for warmer weather to dine on the roof top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was tasty overall.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014The food was tasty overall. We especially liked the peppers with goat cheese and the chicken was well prepared. Our problem was the service. All four small plates were brought out at once making for a rushed dinner. Also, the waiter said they "were out of cappuccino". Really, you were out of milk and coffee? The "adult dessert" comes with a glass of milk. Very strange.
- Terrific small plate experienceempressVIPDined on 3/18/2014I hadn't ever been to briq before, but had read enough about it to be excited to give it a try. The small plate approach is great here; among the real standouts were the Korean style wings, the shrimp salsa and the lobster mashed potatoes. The filet was the best of the two entrees we got. Certainly worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to find its grooveSpillD3P2Dined on 3/15/2014The food is good and so are the cocktails, but the ambience is a bit odd. It seems like it's trying to be chic and upscale but the food is more casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for app's andsecondtimerDined on 3/8/2014Great place for app's and drinks at the bar- limited dinner menu- moderate prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but some of slowestsharbernDined on 3/1/2014Good food, but some of slowest service I've had in years. We used a Living Social for a tasting menu, and dinner lasted 1:50. We nearly missed getting to the theatre in time to be seated before the show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MISSED THE ICE CREAMChrisRonVIPDined on 3/1/2014Dinner was very good - some table plates & a couple entrees. Had the "Adult Birthday Cake" as it was so good the last time we were there - had whipped cream this time instead of vanilla ice cream - better the first time.Special Features:
- DissapointedPrincessDined on 2/21/2014Wanted to love this place but didnt. Some of the food was good. We ordered the chicken wings which were great. We enjoyed the crispy broccoli as well. Filet was over cooked but the sauce on it was excellent. We wanted the adult birthday cake but they were out of that and every other dessert they had except for the crepes. They were served to us cold. If we had gotten better service we might have been willing to give it another shot, but we were ignored for every course. At one point we had 4 empty glAsses on the table (water and wine) and we had nothing to drink for 15 minutes. When the waitress finally came over to clear our dishes she never even asked us if we would like a other drink or a cup of coffee. Unacceptable!!Special Features:
- Briq has such great potentialJleiboVIPDined on 2/16/2014We come to briq quite often and the food is the one constant, it is always good. The issue they have is with service. We were there this Sunday night and they had one waitress on for the entire restaurant, almost 20 tables. She was overwhelmed, and could not handle it. The most frustrating thing of the night was the owner, who was there, never once came over to apologize, ask if he could et us anything, even a drink, but kept coming in the room to adjust the lighting. You have a restaurant full of people and one server and all you can think about is the lights???? Come on!! This is your restaurant, help out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible servicembelle064Dined on 2/16/2014I had a Valentine's weekend dinner at Briq. The tasting menu was terrific, particularly the scallops and fried broccoli. The only downside on the food was the fact that our entree was served cold. Despite the great food, the overall experience was just average because the service was so poor. There was only ONE waitress on staff for BOTH sides of the restaurant and that made for EXTREMELY slow/inattentive service. Our meal lasted 2.5 hours, including a 30 minute wait for our dessert (a still frozen piece of cake). Briq would be a great find if the service was even half as good as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and great service.roychan712Dined on 2/14/2014Great meal and great service. The oysters and scallops were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must gather more dataOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014The food was exceptional. If you like food, give this place a try. Now, it was valentines day and it was pretty busy (not 100% capacity). Our server Elena was awesome. But apparently they hired 3 new bus boys that day (an hour before, maybe?) who had NO idea how to do anything. So our meals were late, entree before app, etc. Food was excellent though. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I would call it 'American' tapas, but it really is a fusion of many genres. Each item was surprisingly tasty, with a few that stood out. The lobster mashed potatoes were tasty, but my favorite was the shrimp salsa over whipped avocado! Also, the Korean bbq wings were delicious. We went here for a Valentine's day date and it was busy, but not too crowded. There was a fixed-price menu that made the meal very affordable! Otherwise, it would have been more than double the cost. So definitely worth it for the deal, but I don't know if we'll come back regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outBombers13Dined on 2/14/2014Food was very good. My wife had tower of tacos, I had filet mignon. Service was a little off but I'm not one to worry a lot about that. As long as food is served and the person is polite when mistakes are made its fine with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, not spectacularmcocoDined on 2/14/2014Was there for Valentine's Day. Great deal: $30 for appetizer, salad, and main dish. Food was good, especially lobster mashed potatoes, but steak and chicken was only OK. But not super expensive, so good value for such a nice ambiance and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day at Briqblk4Dined on 2/14/2014Overall, we enjoyed our Valentine's Dinner at Briq and the prix fixe menu was a good deal. The glass of wine that was included was a good quality and the food was nicely prepared and very tasty. To my surprise, my meal was cold but the kitchen rectified the problem quickly. Our server made up for the gaff and ensured that we were well taken care of. In fact, she was so efficient, that we were out of the restaurant before we expected and had plenty of time to make our theater reservation. The low part of the experience was that the ambiance was a bit unromantic especially for Valentine's Day -- even with a reservation, we were seated in the bar area on terribly uncomfortable chairs with the music blaring -- a definite turn off.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd place in downtown NewHS1313Dined on 2/6/2014Odd place in downtown New Haven. Did not have a significant ambience - particularly in the back room where they seated us by ourselves. Food was good, but small portions. Not sure if I would repeat.