266 College Street
New Haven, CT 06510Neighborhood:
Comfort FoodPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.briqnewhaven.com/
- Phone: 2038917155x
- Hours of Operation:
Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Contemporary American
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: No
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from briq
Briq caters to the diverse and individual tastes of every guest providing an ideal mix of global tapas, "table-style" dining and a lively bar scene. Whether it’s dinner before a show, summer fun on the rooftop or cocktails in the lounge, there’s something for everyone. Our “one-of-a-kind”… historical townhouse, located in the center of downtown on College Street offers a unique and comfortable space. A perfect place to see and be seen, or lay low in a quiet niche.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
briq reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since June 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (5)romantic (4)fit for foodies (4)neighborhood gem (3)good for groups (2)scenic view (2)special occasion (2)great for lunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- pickyeaterInspiredDinerDined on 10/12/2014We loved Briq. The menu is small BUT has selections for every appetite. My only criticism is about the calamari, which came with a red sauce that was a little flat. We can't wait to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HOT FOODTantaVIPDined on 10/2/2014Finally found a place that serves food HOT! From the chef's stove to our table. Nothing lukewarm or left under a heat lamp. Surprised more were not there for dinner at 6pm on a Thursday night. But...maybe it's busier later. Everything tasted great. We will definitely go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big city experiencelkoster218Dined on 9/17/2014I felt like I was dining at a fashionable Manhattan eatery. The food we had was excellent and the waiter was knowledgable about the wines and menu. My colleague and I ordered the blistered peppers with goat cheese (more than enough for two), a spicy sausage from the charcuterie menu that came with fruit and toast points, the skinny fries (with a chipotle-esque aioli on the side, which is a huge improvement from it previously being served drench in the sauce), and the shrimp salsa (which packed a lot of flavor!). All in all, we had the right amount of food - some left overs but nothing hugely significant. We were satisfied with our wines, and the wine list has grown tremendously over the last nine months or so.Special Features:
- Try Taco TowerhappyfoodieVIPDined on 9/9/2014It was $15 per person and good portion for 2. That maybe the cheapest great dinner I ever had in New Haven (cheaper than Chinese restaurant). The tower has 5 tapas-size plate of different food (don't worry, you will be quite full when you finish whole thing). So wrap the food and roll with the taco. It is VERY VERY delicious. Briq has a roof dinner area, which is amazing in summer.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great rooftopKathyDined on 7/9/2014Great outdoor seating and delicious food. Wine menu not the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1bigEdVIPDined on 7/8/2014Usually the food is very good but this time many of the menu items were out, even out of coffee and tea!
- The following 104 reviews are from the briq reviews archive.
- Won't be going backNickDined on 6/1/2014Will start with the high notes. The atmosphere and ambience was quite nice. Great rooftop area for food or drinks or both. The food was good, not great. The blistered padres peppers and goat cheese were a nice appetizer, the taco tower was laughable. Very small portions at $14.50 per person. The quantities brought to the table would have been good for 2 people dining, we had 4. Also they brought us 4 soft corn tortillas. We had to repeatedly ask for more of these and after the second request were told they were out and was given fried crispy "tostada" style tortillas instead. The service was all around horrific. Server could not comment on menu items, did not keep water glasses full and failed to ask us once I'd he could get us anything.
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/18/2014Made reservation 3 mo in advance of Yale graduation for 9 people. We were running late. Restaurant was unwilling to accommodate a 30 minute change in reservation as "fully booked". Said they would cancel if we were more than 15 minutes late. Yet we saw plenty of open tables and few new parties arrived after us. Asked for bread and butter. Brought a plate with not enough pieces for our table. When we asked for more they brought a plate of stale pita and said they needed the bread "for other things." Food was mediocre at best. Tried to ask waiter how many taco towers to order for 9 people to share along with other items we ordered. Waiter would only suggest ordering 9 portions @ $14.50 each. Ended up ordering 2 which was more than enough.
- disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/13/2014Our son had gotten us a tasting here, so we went for our 36 wedding anniversary. We liked this location in it's previous beings. The decor was ok, but the smoke from the cigar store next door kept floating in, not good for my asthma at all. ANd there were only five people there, and the music was cranked, so my hard of hearing husband couldn't hear me, but I'm sure the rest of the restaurant could, as I had to shout. The waitstaff seemed undertrained, our water glasses were never refilled, and we were rushed throughout the evening. What should have ben a nice relaxing dinner was over in an hour, I was wheezing and tired from shouting. The food was nice, but I didn't really get a chance to savor it. Won't go back.Special Features:
- Complete letdownBengDined on 5/10/2014This placed appears so inviting and popular from the outside. And while the server was as sweet as could be, the food and drinks were - to be very frank - disgusting and borderline inedible. The only thing keeping us from sending it back was the friendliness of our waiter and our hunger. My beef and broccoli - the SIMPLEST chinese dish ever - was so over salted that each bit had to be followed by at least three huge gulps of water. My fiance had some sort of curry coconut shimp that looked really sad and was under seasoned. Moreover the alcoholic beverages tasted like gasoline (we both had cocktails). Do not go here.
- Disappointing!MellVIPDined on 4/26/2014We went here to celebrate my daughter's 21st birthday. We thought the diverse menu would serve our group of 8 well. Unfortunately, the service was very slow. There was no rhyme or reason for the rhythm of how the food came out of the kitchen. Many items were misrepresented on the menu, e.g. I ordered the brick chicken and was told by the server that it would be a boned 1/2 chicken. What came was just a breast. My daughter shared the taco tower for 2 with her boyfriend. I couldn't believe how stingy they were with the condiments. They literally had to share a shot glass size of salsa. Also, portions were small for the price. The greatest insult was the 20% auto gratuity added to our tab. Really 20% for mediocre service?
- Great Tapas & CocktailsALEXDined on 4/18/2014Briq offers interesting small plates, dinners & cocktails.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousamdmDined on 4/17/2014Briq (previously Bespoke) offered delicious and original tapas. The food and service were fantastic. The seating was suboptimal. Too close to other diners and would have preferred dining room instead of bar (table) seatingSpecial Features:
- Good food for the priceSassy521Dined on 4/15/2014Briq is a very nice place to dine. I saw the offer on Living Social and could not resist a chance to try something new. The tasting menu was very well planned out and there were choices on the menu that everyone could make. The only thing I didnt like but had to deal with is the cold draft from the front door. We were seated in the front/bar area that has large floor to ceiling windows. It was a chilly night (in the low 30's) and every time someone entered the front door (across from our seats) the cold air would come in. Also the bartender instructed a person to go out the doors in front of our table to smoke on their outside deck. I will be sure to visit again... In the SUMMER. :)Special Features:
- Mixed bagHamdenManDined on 4/15/2014Basically, some of the food was excellent, but some of it was terrible! For example, the broccoli table plate, though a tiny portion, was delicious. However, the lobster mashed potatoes were incredibly salty and tasted like they were made from dehydrated potato buds, and you couldn't even taste the tiny pieces of chopped lobster on top. Also, the service was really bad: waitstaff couldn't answer any questions, and they brought out our main dish before we received most of our table plates. In addition, most portions were very small, and at the exorbitant prices they charge it's definitely not worth it. To top it off, we smelled tobacco smoke several times during our visit. We won't return.
- Bad ExperienceRainbow2712Dined on 4/12/2014Several appetizers and desserts were unavailable on a special limited Living Social menu. We needed to ask for bread, water, plates, and silverware. Portions were small. It was disappointing, especially for my Saturday night date. :(Special Features:
- Thank you Restaurant Week1NutmeggerDined on 4/9/2014If not for Restaurant Week we would have never gone here - not that the place is bad - it is actually great but is kept a secret - there is no sign outside saying BRIQ - at least - we could not see any. Food was excellent and nicely served. Waitstaff was friendly, courteous and very professional (and young too) Despite the exposed surfaces (brick) we could talk and hear each other - Not too many people at our seating so we'll have to try it again on a busier night. Very cool bathroom and wash area. Place validates parking for the parking lot adjacent to the SchubertSpecial Features:
- ExcellentLynnDined on 4/5/2014Enjoyed our first time at this restaurant. The food was outstanding and wine great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent food. Mediocre service.AuntBossyVIPDined on 3/27/2014I was disappointed in briq. The food was all right, certainly nothing to complain about, but the service was very disorganized and unprofessional. The waitperson was pleasant, but appeared so rushed it was as if she were running to my table, pitching the plate in place and taking off. When I arrived only one table was occupied, but as people arrived, four tables were served before I was. It also felt a little grimy. I'd say it is a nice neighborhood place with good food, but certainly not top-notch.Special Features:
- Food reviewceeceeDined on 3/22/2014My husband and I went to Briq for the first time. We found the small plates to be excellent. The taste, presentation, and variety were all top shelf. I would recommend this establishment highly. Can't wait for warmer weather to dine on the roof top.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was tasty overall.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/21/2014The food was tasty overall. We especially liked the peppers with goat cheese and the chicken was well prepared. Our problem was the service. All four small plates were brought out at once making for a rushed dinner. Also, the waiter said they "were out of cappuccino". Really, you were out of milk and coffee? The "adult dessert" comes with a glass of milk. Very strange.
- Terrific small plate experienceempressVIPDined on 3/18/2014I hadn't ever been to briq before, but had read enough about it to be excited to give it a try. The small plate approach is great here; among the real standouts were the Korean style wings, the shrimp salsa and the lobster mashed potatoes. The filet was the best of the two entrees we got. Certainly worth a visit!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Needs to find its grooveSpillD3P2Dined on 3/15/2014The food is good and so are the cocktails, but the ambience is a bit odd. It seems like it's trying to be chic and upscale but the food is more casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for app's andsecondtimerDined on 3/8/2014Great place for app's and drinks at the bar- limited dinner menu- moderate prices.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, but some of slowestsharbernDined on 3/1/2014Good food, but some of slowest service I've had in years. We used a Living Social for a tasting menu, and dinner lasted 1:50. We nearly missed getting to the theatre in time to be seated before the show!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MISSED THE ICE CREAMChrisRonVIPDined on 3/1/2014Dinner was very good - some table plates & a couple entrees. Had the "Adult Birthday Cake" as it was so good the last time we were there - had whipped cream this time instead of vanilla ice cream - better the first time.Special Features:
- DissapointedPrincessDined on 2/21/2014Wanted to love this place but didnt. Some of the food was good. We ordered the chicken wings which were great. We enjoyed the crispy broccoli as well. Filet was over cooked but the sauce on it was excellent. We wanted the adult birthday cake but they were out of that and every other dessert they had except for the crepes. They were served to us cold. If we had gotten better service we might have been willing to give it another shot, but we were ignored for every course. At one point we had 4 empty glAsses on the table (water and wine) and we had nothing to drink for 15 minutes. When the waitress finally came over to clear our dishes she never even asked us if we would like a other drink or a cup of coffee. Unacceptable!!Special Features:
- Briq has such great potentialJleiboVIPDined on 2/16/2014We come to briq quite often and the food is the one constant, it is always good. The issue they have is with service. We were there this Sunday night and they had one waitress on for the entire restaurant, almost 20 tables. She was overwhelmed, and could not handle it. The most frustrating thing of the night was the owner, who was there, never once came over to apologize, ask if he could et us anything, even a drink, but kept coming in the room to adjust the lighting. You have a restaurant full of people and one server and all you can think about is the lights???? Come on!! This is your restaurant, help out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, terrible servicembelle064Dined on 2/16/2014I had a Valentine's weekend dinner at Briq. The tasting menu was terrific, particularly the scallops and fried broccoli. The only downside on the food was the fact that our entree was served cold. Despite the great food, the overall experience was just average because the service was so poor. There was only ONE waitress on staff for BOTH sides of the restaurant and that made for EXTREMELY slow/inattentive service. Our meal lasted 2.5 hours, including a 30 minute wait for our dessert (a still frozen piece of cake). Briq would be a great find if the service was even half as good as the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great meal and great service.roychan712Dined on 2/14/2014Great meal and great service. The oysters and scallops were great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Must gather more dataOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2014The food was exceptional. If you like food, give this place a try. Now, it was valentines day and it was pretty busy (not 100% capacity). Our server Elena was awesome. But apparently they hired 3 new bus boys that day (an hour before, maybe?) who had NO idea how to do anything. So our meals were late, entree before app, etc. Food was excellent though. Will try again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- American tapasOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/14/2014I would call it 'American' tapas, but it really is a fusion of many genres. Each item was surprisingly tasty, with a few that stood out. The lobster mashed potatoes were tasty, but my favorite was the shrimp salsa over whipped avocado! Also, the Korean bbq wings were delicious. We went here for a Valentine's day date and it was busy, but not too crowded. There was a fixed-price menu that made the meal very affordable! Otherwise, it would have been more than double the cost. So definitely worth it for the deal, but I don't know if we'll come back regularly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great night outBombers13Dined on 2/14/2014Food was very good. My wife had tower of tacos, I had filet mignon. Service was a little off but I'm not one to worry a lot about that. As long as food is served and the person is polite when mistakes are made its fine with me.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Solid, not spectacularmcocoDined on 2/14/2014Was there for Valentine's Day. Great deal: $30 for appetizer, salad, and main dish. Food was good, especially lobster mashed potatoes, but steak and chicken was only OK. But not super expensive, so good value for such a nice ambiance and great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day at Briqblk4Dined on 2/14/2014Overall, we enjoyed our Valentine's Dinner at Briq and the prix fixe menu was a good deal. The glass of wine that was included was a good quality and the food was nicely prepared and very tasty. To my surprise, my meal was cold but the kitchen rectified the problem quickly. Our server made up for the gaff and ensured that we were well taken care of. In fact, she was so efficient, that we were out of the restaurant before we expected and had plenty of time to make our theater reservation. The low part of the experience was that the ambiance was a bit unromantic especially for Valentine's Day -- even with a reservation, we were seated in the bar area on terribly uncomfortable chairs with the music blaring -- a definite turn off.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Odd place in downtown NewHS1313Dined on 2/6/2014Odd place in downtown New Haven. Did not have a significant ambience - particularly in the back room where they seated us by ourselves. Food was good, but small portions. Not sure if I would repeat.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2014The food is typically very good. Our last visit the service was pretty slow, the food came out cold, and they ran out of bread. Regardless, our first experience at the restaurant was so good, we will likely go back and try it again.Special Features:
- Briq in WinterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/1/2014While this restaurant is famous for its outside deck in the warm months I have recently discovered it and eaten here twice, indoors. The interior is warm and inviting (they changed the entry so the bar area is toasty) with autumn colored woods. the drinks were generous, the wines well chosen, and the Tapas a welcome change from the usually menu. the menu is on the small side in comparison with many that promise anything you can think of. here at a Briq there are delicious options for the carnivore and vegetarian. Each dish is a perfect balance of tastes and visual pleasure..Deserts and coffees are offered. I fell in love with Forte teas here. The prices are reasonable. A plus for new haven!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great first time hereEatingoodfoodVIPDined on 1/28/2014We had a wonderful dinner at briq on a very chilly weeknight. I chose this restaurant because they were offering a 1000 pt table and I needed a rez in New Haven. I'm not from the area and was just visiting for a short time. Everything here was great. Very nice decor, great service, and the food was exactly what we wanted for a late and light dinner. Very good plates to share and very reasonably priced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the lobster mashed potatoes!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/23/2014We enjoyed the restaurant and the food. During the week the main dining area is not open so you sit in the seating area of the bar....close seating so it can get noisy. I would love to go again on the weekend to seat in the main dinning area because the decor is very interesting. The food was also good; the fillet mignon was cooked to perfection and the lobster mashed potatoes is a must have.Special Features: