254 Green Bay Road
Highwood, IL 60040Neighborhood:
IrishPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bridiemckennas.com/
- Phone: 8474323311
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:00am - 5:00pm, Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 5:00pm; Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Friday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Saturday: 5:00pm - 2:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Irish
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Private Party Facilities: Private Rooms available for personal and business functions, and special events. Brewery Room has patio access, big screen TV, dart boards, and casual atmosphere. Perfect for business or family gatherings, sports viewing, or fund raisers. Bridie's Library has a more formal setting, fireplace, and is more intimate. Perfect for business or personal gatherings such as book clubs, teas, smaller meetings, anniversary's, birthdays,and the like. Our other rooms, the Country Bar and Victorian Bar can also be reserved. We can combine rooms when needed for larger gatherings.
- Private Party Contact: Nuala 8474323311
- Entertainment: We offer Live Music, Karaoke, Irish Dancers and Irish Music Sessions every month. Irish Music Sessions are regularly scheduled for the first Tuesday of each month and on special holidays. Reservations are always suggested on these nights. Bridie's has extensive live entertainment the week leading up to and including St. Paddy's Day. Bridie's reputation for major holiday events is well-established, and includes Bridie's Anniversary Bash in January, the Highwood PumpkinFest and Halloween, and many others. Please check our website for regular updates on live entertainment.
- Cross Street: Highwood Ave
- Public Transit: Bridie McKenna's Irish Pub is less than one block south of the Highwood Metra Train Station, with frequent service daily.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Street Parking and public city lots throughout the business district are always available nearby. Valet Parking is offered on Friday and Saturday nights in front of the Pub.
A word from Bridie McKenna's
Bridie McKenna's opened to the public in January 2008 after years of planning and hard work. The Irish woman Bridie McKenna had a reputation for friendliness, and for always having an open door to welcome family and friends into her home. Her image is etched on our Front Door glass and is a constant reminder to the owners and staff to treat their patrons with the warmth and hospitality that she was renowned for. The words above the main door "Slan Abhaile" is a "phrase" used commonly in Ireland to wish friends "safe home" after their visit. As in Ireland, Bridie McKenna's is a Community Pub or "Public House". The building was designed in Ireland and reflects the storefronts, colours and character found on any town or village street. Come join us for award-winning food, personal service, and a celebration of friendship. Bridie McKenna's is a truly authentic Irish Pub, and a place where customers will experience "the friendliest welcome on the North Shore." Cheers!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bridie McKenna's reviews from OpenTable diners
8 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (5)great for outdoor dining (4)vibrant bar scene (3)great for brunch (1)special occasion (1)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)notable wine list (1)good for groups (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- social1VIPDined on 6/22/2014We ate dinner there during a World Cup game, and the noise was deafening!Special Features:
- irishgalDined on 6/7/2014Good food, good selection of dishes. Nice to be in an Irish Pub with good service and good food.Special Features:
- Great fresh Idea for Mom's DayMGeatgoodDined on 5/11/2014I took my wife and three kids, two teens and a tween to Bridie McKenna's for mother's day. I thought it was delightful in ambience as we at outside. The food was very good. The only knock, and it is slight. No egg white options for the omelette stations. Otherwise, it was terrific and I look forward to trying it out again another time. Service was outstanding. People were friendly and welcoming.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 57 reviews are from the Bridie McKenna's reviews archive.
- Kids- find your adults?mkc918VIPDined on 4/19/2014I love Bridie McKenna's. We've been going for years. Our last visit, could possibly be our last visit. The restaurant was not crowded, so our daughters, both 7, asked if they could take a walk around. Key point being "walk". The girls were not running, singing, skipping, shouting or otherwise being disrespectful in any way. They were told, to "go find their adults" and came back to the table scared silent.Special Features:
- Valentines Day charmerGraphicGalDined on 2/14/2014First time at venue. Valentines Day free glass of champagne and small heart pendant for the ladies. Food was very good. Beers of course were very good. I am gluten free, and they had special menu and beers. Though if I were very sensitive to gluten, not sure this place would work out. Beautiful decor.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always goodclarkDined on 12/20/2013We have never been disappointed, no matter how busy they are!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSFabDined on 12/13/2013Even though we had a reservation, the hostess took a long time to acknowledge our presence and seat us. She wanted to seat us at a table in the bar section and was reluctant to put us somewhere else when we objected. She said there was a large private party that "had a reservation" and took up a big part of the restaurant. Well, we also had a reservation!!! Even though it wasn't a great start, the rest of the dinner went ok. The service was adequate.Special Features:
- Nice Irish PubNancyBeeDined on 11/23/2013Good comfort pub food with some Irish standards. Big portions.Special Features:
- Irish pubSoxdocVIPDined on 11/22/2013Great beer selection in a pub atmosphere. Good and varied menu from burgers and sandwiches to full dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timersOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2013The drinks were really good. The appetizer had fried pickles that were some of the best I've ever had. The rest of the food was OK. I had Shepard's Pie, it's better at Blackthorn in Lake Villa. It's a nice place to stop for a drink
- Fun PubTazikeDined on 10/29/2013Bridies were quite accomodating as we reserved space for 20 people a week in advance but per normal nearly half ended up unable to attend. Talking with the manager about the situation was pleasant and he easily accomodated the difference in number. As people came in staff took their order and managed the separate checks quite well. Food is average pub food, beer is quite good with a decent selection of those on tap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This is a nice kid-friendly,momsnightoutDined on 9/21/2013This is a nice kid-friendly, casual restaurant to take the whole family. It has something for everyone. The service is very friendly. In the evenings, they have live entertainment.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A disappointing eveningOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/14/2013We've been to Bridie's a dozen times and were looking forward to another good experience. We arrived on time for our reservation. Once we got the attention of the greeter who was engrossed in the football game on the bar tv, we were quickly seated and began to enjoy the music. However, a server never arrived at our table, although it appeared that there were plenty of staff. After 15 minutes of waiting, we told the bar tender we were leaving. We enjoyed a nice meal at a nearby restaurant. I won't say that we won't be back to Bridie's, but it will be a while before we forget this disappointing evening.
- Grilled Calamari!!!zoupbowlDined on 9/14/2013This appettizer was absolutely delicious. But you must like calamari to begin with, if not skip it. All entrees were well prpared. The outdoor dining experience was wonderful and more private than you would expect. Just very nice.Special Features:
- irish food delightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 9/11/2013Great place for casual dining indoor or out w/traditional Irish meal choices or sandwich choices. We had irish stew, fish n chips, corn beef n cabbage, mini reuben all delicious and generous portions. Tap beer list has several European varieties. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was a disappointment.SueLooDined on 9/5/2013The food was a disappointment. I did email the owner with my comments and he emailed me back very quickly. The fact remains that this is a place more suited towards drinking get togethers then eating.
- WilBbakWilBbakDined on 8/24/2013We had a lovely dinner, food was delicious, loved the curry chicken, drink selection perfect for us. Service was friendly, helpful and considerate. The entertainment was an added plus, we found ourselves enjoying the music as much as the great visit we had with friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really happy with food andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/17/2013Really happy with food and service. In fact, food was great comfort food after a night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Really cute Irish bet, lotsNaplesfoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2013Really cute Irish bet, lots of character inside and out. Lamb stew is delicious, could use a tad more lamb. Curried chicken is a little strong for my taste, and REALLY short on chicken. Hamburgers were great, daily fish fry tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of my nearby favorites!!clarkDined on 8/10/2013Always good food and service. The staff is awesome and the menu is so easy to choose from -- it's both familiar and unusual with the Irish selections added.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North Shore IrishFooddocVIPDined on 7/19/2013Aside from the non-Irish fare such as Nachos and Curry, Bridie's has a nice selection of authentic Irish dishes. On this occasion, the bangers (sausages) were very good, the Shepherd's Pie a nice mix of mashed, veggies and ground beef in a light gravy, and lean, tasty corned beef sliders. Beers and whiskeys are numerous, and prices are very good. I'm going back for the all-day Irish breakfast soon!!Special Features:
- Great LunchOgreDined on 7/13/2013I have had lunch at Bridie McKenna several times during the summer and each time has been a very nice experience. Their beer garden offers the right mix of shade and sun for an enjoyable time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food at reasonable prices.TrinkaVIPDined on 6/21/2013Good food at reasonable prices. Vegetables were not overcooked sides like at a lot of restaurants. I loved the coleslaw w/the fish fry, but too much breading on the shrimp clams.Special Features:
- Father's Day brunchziggyDined on 6/16/2013Hubby loved the Irish bar setting for this delicious brunch. Food was loved by everyone including "kids" from 9 to18 years old and of course hubby! Our server wasn't exactly attentive but it didn't ruin the overall experience since it was a brunch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It's an Irish Pub and liesOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/1/2013It's an Irish Pub and lies up to expectations. Great Black and Tan. Corn Beef was excellent and fish and chips were pretty good.We had a group of 8 and sat in a private area. Everyone was happy with our choice.Special Features:
- Mother's Day Brunchsmartone65Dined on 5/12/2013Excellent restaurant for Mother's Day brunch! We had reservations for 10:30am but arrived 15 minutes early. We were accommodated with no problems and seated directly near the buffet after asking to be moved for my mother's sake. All the staff were very friendly and checked in with us several times during our stay to see if we needed anything more. The food was top notch - omlettes made to order, fresh fruit, salads, homemade breakfast sausages, and a variety of deserts. I highly recommend Bridie McKenna's for any dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- priceybread4meDined on 5/11/2013Rather pricey for what you get. Had to ask for bread. Pretzel bread was free but had to pay for Irish brown bread that came with 3 pats of butter for 4 people.. I mean we are in an Irish pub. Nothing came with the cottage pie entree & that was $15.00 or 16.00. My husband thought the fish & chips wa very greasy.Special Features:
- Surprising findOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 3/31/2013Had never heard of the place when it found it online. We went there for Easter Brunch and the food was delicious and we both said we would go back there again to try their regular menu.Special Features:
- enjoyed our first visit toAfraDined on 3/30/2013enjoyed our first visit to Birdie; great pub atmosphere; food was good and basic; great music on Saturday night which was a plusSpecial Features:
- There were some problems withTerrificVIPDined on 3/23/2013There were some problems with our orders and the waiter/manager took care of it very nicely; we greatly appreciated their responsiveness. Even then, though, the food was just OK.
- We were a group of six outOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/15/2013We were a group of six out to celebrate the beginning of St. Patrick's Day weekend (3/15, Friday). Restaurant was not crowded. Food was average at best (all of the seafood other than the filet in the fish and chips tasted as though it had been cooked hours before and had been reheated, sort of). Service very inattentive. Karaoke? Irish music over the sound system would have been better. Oh, and we waited 10 minutes to be seated. Why? because we were told when we finally tapped a waiter who was setting up tables (for the next day?) that the hostess had been on all day and she was probably taking a break. We did have a reservation. Because of the music we did go back on Sunday for a drink but ate elsewhere.
- North Shore IrishGrahamaVIPDined on 3/14/2013The nicest thing about this spot is the authentic Irish pub decor and we were able to sit in a nice quiet room with a warming fire. Parking is hard at dinnertime but if I'm in the area, I will try it again.
- Menu looked good; food was better!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/10/2013We were not sure what to expect because this was a last minute inpiration, but we were very pleased and will eagerly return! Five of us ordered different items; all were excellent. There are many other choices that looked delicious and I want to go back and enjoy them, tooSpecial Features:
- We have been here before andOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/2/2013We have been here before and it was fine but this time was not good. It was busy and they said they were understaffed. We could hardly get a drink at the bar and didn't get seated until 7.30 despite our 7.00 reservation. Our waitress seemed confused and did not bring things when asked. When she finally did bring a requested item she said better late than never. She asked one person if they need another drink but not everyone. We had to ask for silverware and napkins when our meal came about an hour later. The food was ok but I expected and have seen better from them. I will go back here but if we have another experience like this that will be it. I hope they do better on St. Patrick's Day
- Nothing SpecialJandMDined on 3/2/2013The service was erratic. The entrees came immediately after we finished our salads, and then we had to wait 20 minutes for dessert. On the other hand, the server was always there to refill our water glasses. The food was adequate, but nothing special. The Decadent Fudge Brownie, listed on the menu as a "customer favorite", was nothing more than a piece of chocolate cake without layers. It wasn't a brownie and, after that build-up on the menu, it was quite disappointing.
- Fun and somewhat unusual ambianceclarkDined on 2/16/2013Fun and somewhat unusual ambiance and menu with standards and Irish alternatives. LOVE it! Very friendly and capable staff.Special Features:
- Very nice restaurant and bar.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013Very nice restaurant and bar. Bridie's is a fun location recreating an Irish pub. The food, especially the Shepherds Pie, is delicious. The drink assortment is great too. There is a separate eating area if your family doesn't want to sit by the bar. However, the service usually leaves something wanting, but it is too nice a place to not go because of that.Special Features:
- The Guinness Stew is a must!!!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2013This is quickly becoming one of our favorite places to dine at. We usually go for a Sunday brunch but decided to go for Valentine's Day. It was a nice evening; we went early and avoided the crowds; were able to relax and enjoy the music provided by a young violinist strolling through the restaurant. Lovely!!Special Features:
- Some of the food was disappointing,merbradVIPDined on 2/10/2013Some of the food was disappointing, and they crammed 18 of us into a table arrangement that would have been more comfortable for 12-16 people at the most. The waitstaff were very competent and helpful when they were around--probably should've checked in on 18 of us a few more times than they did.Special Features:
- Bridie McKenna's festive fareExperienceHendrixfanDined on 11/16/2012We were a party of five who arrived in three groups, yet first arrivers were able to sit down and order drinks while we gathered. The food was fantastic; potato and cabbage soup and curry fries to start are a must. The Kinsale fish pie was hearty and flavorful and my Black and Tan was cold and creamy. Really loud in the barroom adjacent but I took that to mean the party there was jubilant and celebratory. The server discreetly accommodated my request to make sure I got the bill. I was concerned that dining on a Friday night at 6 would diminish the service, but our party was able to eat unhurried and make a short drive to the Writer's Theatre in Glencoe for an 8pm performance of Hamlet. I'll be back for future celebrations.Special Features: