Brick Oven of Morristown
90 South St
Morristown, NJ 07960Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Brick Oven of Morristown
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brickovennj.com/
- Phone: 9739847700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch & Dinner:
Monday - Thursday: 11:30am - 9:30pm
Friday & Saturday: 11:30am - 10:30pm
Sunday: 12:00pm - 8:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: BYO Liquor, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please review our catering menu on our website. We now also have Gluten Free pasta options that can be substituted in any of our pasta dishes!
- Entertainment: Our patio is open whenever weather permits. Its " first come first serve on the patio " and we only reserve inside the restaurant.
A word from Brick Oven of Morristown
Casual Italian dinning at its best and conveniently located directly adjacent to Morristown's Performing Arts Center (MPAC).Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Brick Oven of Morristown - Best Restaurants in Morristown ›
Brick Oven of Morristown reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelEnergetic
great for outdoor dining (18)neighborhood gem (12)good for groups (9)special occasion (7)kid-friendly (7)hot spot (5)great for lunch (4)fit for foodies (4)romantic (3)scenic view (1)great for brunch (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- Brick ovenCali1016Dined on 9/13/2014I loved the relax atmosphere of the place. The shrimp arriabiatta was plentiful and the salads were a nice size as well. Waitress seemed a little bothered to have to serve us & it was not very busy the night we dined there. I would go back hoping that we have a different waitress & have more attentive service!Special Features:
- Great for dinner and a showPartypattyoDined on 9/9/2014The location was perfect for dinner and a show. The service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brick Over OK!ccr4evrDined on 9/5/2014Brick oven was a very convenient place to eat as we were going next door to the MAYO performing Arts center to see a concert. The food was ok but the service was not very good. Prices were fair so it was an OK dinner!Special Features:
- Poor ServicePoorServiceDined on 8/24/2014Waited forever get noticed at our table. Couldn't even find our waiter (thank goodness for a heads-up bus noy!) Took forever to get our drinks. After waiting for 45 minutes from ordering a pizza, we left $ for the iced teas and walked out.
- Why popular?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/24/2014I've seen this place full so often I finally gave it a try. It was not a good experience. I waited 10 minutes to be waited on, even though I was one one of three groups in the restaurant. They play loud and awful music. The food was tasteless, lamb with pasta. There must be an appeal to many, judging from its popularity. But this not a place for people serious about food and ambience.
- Casual Al Fresco dining!Hard2pleaseDined on 8/23/2014Excellent service, Maitre'd was kind enough to provide his own quarters for our parking meter. The food at this BYOB was tasty, service prompt while not rushing us along.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only honesty here…KnotDunneRiteVIPDined on 7/25/2014Beautiful night in Morristown. We sat outside. I went inside first to announce we were here via Opentable. Waiter very attentive but a bit sweaty…working hard I presume. You can skip the stuffed pepper(1) app. There was only 1, it was not hot and it was not that interesting or tasty. It WAS $13. Did I say 1 red bell pepper. My wife had some forgettable, possibly warm pasta and shrimp. Yeh! I had French cut chicken which was ok. Not hot but warm enough to not complain. Bottom line we should have had the pizza. I had to ask 2 people to get my Opentable points. Honestly the best part was sitting outside in setting sun drinking the beers we brought. Everyone was very nice but I went for a good meal. No reason for us to go back.Special Features:
- Good Food!!Love2gooutDined on 7/22/2014We went there with another couple for dinner before a show at the Morristown Performing Arts center and needed something in walking distance. This is my second time there and I loved the ambience and the hustle and bustle of the place. The food was consistently great at this place and we ordered salads and they were large and the sea bass special was perfect portion and fantastic. The server was excellent and she has served us both times we have been there and she was excellent. Will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RobertDined on 7/1/2014The Hostess was rude an incompetent. When we asked if we could sit at an open table in the front because the back is pretty noisy and cramped, she told us it was for customers with a reservation. When we showed her in the book that we had a reservation she acknowleged it, but when we asked again about the table, she said it was for customers with a reservation, bizzare! She gave us a table in the back and left the menu folders, but unfortumnately there were no menus inside. The waiter appologized and he was great and the food was very good. We go there at least once a month and this was not typical service. The table we asked about was still empty when we were leaving.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/1/2014Food was very good but service was terrible. Very noisy and loud.
- LindaDined on 6/29/2014We were having a birthday dinner for my daughter,which was ruined. We left after almost 2 hours, because we were never served our dinner.Special Features:
- Pretty goodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/10/2014Perfect spot if you're going to the theater as it is right next door. Sat outside on a nice night. Food was good. No complaints. I had the Chicken Balsamico and liked it. Service also good for a busy night. BYOB. And a public parking lot right next door.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/3/2014we were not happy with the table we were seated at. I would NOT sit there again. We were constantly getting hit by the servers walking by as were were in front of the brick oven. The noise level was extremely loud and made it very difficult to talk. I would not reserve a table there again unless I knew we would be in the back away from the front area. This was our 2nd time here and for some reason we were in the same section both times, but the first time we were a table in from there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 154 reviews are from the Brick Oven of Morristown reviews archive.
- InconsistentOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/18/2014I’ve been to Brick Oven a couple of times both with large and small groups. Oddly the experience with a large group was 100 times better than with a small one. The food was great the first time and the server was attentive but most recently I went and it took an hour for salad. We were convinced our server forgot to put in our order completely because other people around us came and left. There were screaming kids running around playing and the group seemed to be friends with the manager so nothing was said. Was very disappointed and debate going back. Food is good though, but some things weren’t the same the last time I went- just not sure if its worth it if the dining experience isn’t consistent.Special Features:
- lid23lid23Dined on 5/16/2014The Brick Oven is located next to the Community Theater in Morristown. Had dinner before show the meal was excellent. I think a pre fix dinner would be nice for show goers.Special Features:
- Mother's Day DinnerLovetodineoutVIPDined on 5/11/2014We got reservations for 5 Mother's Day evening. I thought we'd have to dine indoors because they don't take reservations for outdoor tables. We were lucky and got an outdoor table (the weather was great that day). Calamari was great. Beet salad with goat cheese was also very good. Everyone had a good meal. The only, less then great, dish was my salmon. I thought it was grilled or seared, it seemed to have a coating on it and was greasy. I would have preferred a "healthier" grilled salmon but I may not have read the item well and missed something. We will definitely go back and recommend the restaurant. We also want to try their sister restaurant next door, Havana Koi.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good not great.NJFoodie83Dined on 5/11/2014Known for having "Brick-Oven" Pizza, but the pizza fell flat. It was too dry and the "Margarita pizza" is not traditional style. Service was good and we were seated right away, even though we were 30 min early for our reservation.Special Features:
- Great placeLoriDined on 5/11/2014We went with the family to Brick Oven for Mother's Day lunch. Since it was a beautiful day we took advantage of the outdoor seating. There is not a view (it's right on South St) but lovely for sitting out, enjoying a glass of wine (BYO) and people watching. The service was a bit slow, but to be fair it was very busy, and some of our group was late. The servers were pleasant and tried hard. The owner greeted us personally with a flower for the Mom- very friendly and nice touch! The food is always good, pretty basic Italian reasonably priced. This was not our first visit to this restaurant,handy before attending a performance at the Mayo Center next door- serve a very good meal and get us out in time. Overall, a tasty and reliable restaurant!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BYOBMicheleDined on 5/1/2014I joined friends here after work. Morristown was buzzing and had nice weather. I received prompt service and the staff was friendly and attentive. Parking was a challenge. We ordered calamari and broccoli rabe with sausage.We then had a margarita pizza, Shrimp Alfredo which was not on the menu but accommodated,eggplant dish and a bolognese pasta. Everything was great except the pizza, to my surprise. I was expecting a real "brick oven" pie. It was nothing more then what seemed to be a pita like dough with a lot of white cheese ,two slivers of basil and diced tomatoes thrown on top. I was expecting more of a Brooklyn or Naples type margarita pie.Not even close . I will not go back for pizza but will go back for Broccoli Rabe.Special Features:
- Perfect meal before a showdesigner62Dined on 4/29/2014We had a spectacular meal at the Brick Oven before an awesome show @ MPAC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food and convenienceJeffBVIPDined on 4/26/2014This was our second visit to the brick oven of Morristown prior to a show at the Mayo center. We had 6 o'clock reservations and were seated promptly. The restaurant, which is fairly small, was crowded but our service was good as was the food. I had a mushroom soup with sausage which was quite tasty and my wife had a large salad for her appetizer. My wife enjoyed her main course which was a variety of seafood and garlic over linguine, while my chicken breast and a port wine reduction sauce over garlic mashed potatoes and with peppers and vegetables was excellent. I asked them to add hot peppers to the dish which they did. . Service is good however at times you have to call for a busboy if you need something when it is as busy as it was.Special Features:
- Mediumnightout423Dined on 4/23/2014We were attending an event at the Mayo Theatre so the restaurant location was perfect. WE liked the ambiance and the pizza was great. Coming from a family that has been in the restaurant business, we did not think the service was great. I had to ask 3 times for my water glass to be filled and we had an empty bread basket that the waitress never refilled or asked to refill. It took a long time to place our order and the food was not very hot. With all that said though we did have a good time and would definitely come back. It was a busy night there and we assume that could have been the issue.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointingsq000Dined on 4/22/2014Disappointingly average and overpriced. The food was good, but too expensive for what it was. The bread was horrible; dry, flavorless, and uninspired. The place was empty and the waitress spent more time talking to the hostess than waiting on our table. Just an, at best, average place. First and last visit.
- not so good this timeeaterVIPDined on 4/19/2014Not as good as usual. The meal that I ordered was different than the description of it on the menu, and it was not served on time. I had to track down the waitress to find out where our food was. She was not very attentive. So in conclusion the service was awful and so was the meal.
- location is about itbenton1220VIPDined on 4/19/2014We have eaten here before only when going to the Mayo Theatre which is right next store.Sadly there seems to have been a decrease in food quality and sevice. The service was chaotic and the food was mediocre. I had an beet salad with feta chese for over 11.00 dollars that had no dressing. No server ever came back to check or bring fresh pepper. I had gnocchi, which was served in a thick white sauce, seemed like wall paper paste?Again no server follow-up. The only thing good was the dessert Tiramisu.The staff was actually running but people around us waited for their food forever. Save your money this is not a fine dining restaurant, which are the prices they charge. Next time we have tickets to Mayo we will eat else where.Special Features:
- Great Experience!NJMomDined on 4/18/2014We took our daughter to the theater for a play and decided to have dinner after the show. The location was great (next door to the theater), delicious food and great atmosphere! Good choice for families w/ kids - would definitely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenience FactorMAYOFanDined on 4/16/2014Main plus was being right next to concert venue. Food was pretty good. Crowded seating. Pretty noisy.
- We were squeezed at a tableJomarchDined on 4/12/2014We were squeezed at a table for two. Both of our chairs were backed against the tables behind us. The wait staff had to squeeze behind my moms chair and she kept getting hit from behind. We never got our bread until we asked for it after 15 minutes. We never received our bread plates at all (used the cup saucers instead) The appetizer was put down and again we had to ask for plates. The food was good, our waitress was pleasant. Just wished we weren't so squeezed in.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Used to be my favorite BYOB..ChrisDined on 4/11/2014Brick Oven is no longer my favorite go to after subpar food and service twice in a row. Our recent visit the food was way below standard. Angel hair pasta with seafood had small shrimp and scallops which were overcooked. The sauce was gritty from the sand in the clams. Fried calamari arrived with random zucchini fries mixed in. Leftovers from the fryer I would guess. My two children, who ordered spaghetti and meatballs were served adult entrée spaghetti with a side of meatballs, and priced accordingly. My husband ordered salmon which arrived raw in the middle and overdone on the ends. It was ice cold. Service was friendly but extremely slow.
- Theatre mustMeggieDined on 4/11/2014I went to dinner with 2friends before a show. Nice place to relax and eat. A bit loud but friendly staff and nice Loki.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would not go againfrancesaDined on 4/10/2014The bread they served was steal and the pasta dish I ordered was in need of some seasoning. I woredered pasta with eggplant and in was a bowl with pasta topped with eggplant. aweful...
- Really DisappointedKathyMadisonVIPDined on 4/5/2014My husband and I had not eaten here in a year or so. We were really looking forward to going back. But unfortunately, it was atrue disappointment. The restaurant crammed so many people in on this Saturday night that people were practically sitting on top of one another. Plus the food was just so so. We might be back for only pizza in the future.Special Features:
- Great findProfVIPDined on 4/4/2014We were going to see Jay Leno last Friday and took a chance on the restaurant, which is next door to the theater. We were late due to rain and a poor navigation system routing and they held reservation willingly even though the restaurant was packed. When we arrived Jen took us under her wing, got us seated and ordered the wine of our choice from a store nearby that delivers to the restaurant, as we did not know they were BYOB. The food was great, but the staff went way above and beyond. We travel and dine out quite a bit and I can assure you this was one of the best dining experiences we have had in years. We would come back often if this restaurant was in our neighborhood and not a two hour drive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was nice ..LiznhutchDined on 3/28/2014Overheard that the waitress was new; couldn't tell by us, she was very competent.Special Features:
- Noisy but very goodMickeyDined on 3/22/2014There is a loud din that overcomes you at first, but once you settle into your seat, you realize that the energy is intoxicating and welcome.Special Features:
- As noted the food was excellentjimmycDined on 3/22/2014As noted the food was excellent and the staff was quite professional. Additionally, since we had concert tickets for the night to the Mayo performing arts center next door they took 10% for our bill. It all made for an unforgetable evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodcopmomDined on 3/19/2014I eat often at this restaruant because I attend performances next door at the Mayo Performing Arts Center. I have never had a bad meal. The food is good, fresh and interesting. My oly complaint is that I ALWAYS ask for a window seat and hve NEVER received one. I am always seated near the food prep area, although this is not necessarily a bad thing. It is interesting to watch the chefs prepare the meals.Special Features:
- Good post theater mealATSCCVIPDined on 3/8/2014My son and I went there right after a show at the theater and it was perfect. Family friendly, good service and very reasonable prices. I would returnSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice spot for a pre-show dinner.DHawkDined on 2/27/2014The food is fresh, delicious and satisfying and the kitchen really hustles. Great spot to get your pre-theater dinner as it is right next to the Mayo Arts Center. NOTE: They are BYOB and if you are going to a show leave plenty of time for closing out your bill as there will be many other people doing the same thing.Special Features:
- I wish this restaurant wasDelishDined on 2/21/2014I wish this restaurant was closer to where I live but I was here with my mom for a concert at the Mayo Performing Arts Center. The town of Morristown was so cute - wish we had more time to walk around. The food and service at Brick Oven of Morristown was amazing. Our waitress Giselle was outstanding! We were running late and so we only had about 40 minutes to eat before our show so they got us in and out quickly but the food wasn't comprimised at all. It was delicious!! I hope we get to come back someday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.