Brick Lane Curry House
99 2nd Ave.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
IndianPrice: $30 and under
Brick Lane Curry House
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.bricklanecurryhouse.com/
- Phone: 2129792900
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Weekend Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Indian
- Executive Chef: Praveen Pedankar
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch
- Catering: All types of outdoor catering, corporate lunches, tailor made catering options on website wwww.bricklanecurryhouse.com, section Caterings and Party's.
- Entertainment: Belly Dancing
A word from Brick Lane Curry House
Brick Lane Curry House is a British type curry house reminiscent of an East London style Indian Restaurant. Brick Lane Curry House is an authentic Indian restaurant.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerIndian
Brick Lane Curry House - Best Restaurants in East Village ›
Brick Lane Curry House reviews from OpenTable diners
20 reviews since May 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (12)fit for foodies (11)good for groups (4)special occasion (4)great for lunch (4)romantic (3)hot spot (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- new startOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 8/10/2014Great that the new location is still in the same neighborhood but it's a still bit sterile. The food is as fabulous as ever. The atmosphere will improve with time.Special Features:
- If You Love Spicy Food...CocoDined on 7/28/2014If you love spicy Indian food, then Brick Lane is for you. The assortment of traditional Indian dishes is great and the food is very flavorful. The restaurant is somewhat small, so I recommend you arrive early, otherwise you may have a long wait for a table. Regardless, you'll love it.Special Features:
- Fish cooked rightOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/26/2014Food was fresh and cooked well. Our server was good. Glasses were never empty. This is a good date spot. Also good for a group of four. The salmon was cooked perfectly! The staff was very accommodating and knowledgeable about gluten allergies as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Buffet, Excellent ServiceJoannaDined on 7/26/2014I went with a friend, and we ordered the Buffet, though we hadn't planned to. The Buffet was better than most Indian Food Buffets that I've tried, and had a good selection, which is important to me, since I'm a vegetarian. The hostess/ waitress was very pleasant and adorable! I would definitely go back here again, and highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Indian food12ManyVIPDined on 7/25/2014Great food and service. I definitely will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Foodluv2eatVIPDined on 7/19/2014Will go back often! The food and service were great. Have the cauliflower appetizer- really good. I loved my chicken tikka masala and my family loved their dishes. TheSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A good indian restaurant in EVValFromParisVIPDined on 7/3/2014It was nice to discover this indian restaurant in East Village, the service was great and food was good. You will maybe find it a bit pricy but it's still ok.
- Good but maybe slipping?aggieDined on 6/17/2014The food here was excellent, as usual, with the notable exception of the sikh kebabs, which were overly salty and strangely crumbly(maybe they had been frozen?). The curries however were still top-notch: velvety paneer saag, pungeant, firey goan fish curry, tender chicken tikka masala. Service was good, if a little over-bearing (I don't care about your favorites on the menu) and seemed like our food took extra long so that we would order more drinks. Also disappointed that the pappadums and condiments that usually arrive at the beginning of the meal have been replaced by plain (although warm and seasoned) naan. Appreciated that they added extra rice to the leftovers they wrapped. Overall, still, enjoyable, but a bit off this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was greatOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/3/2014Be warned - when they say that something is spicy, it is genuinely spicy.Special Features:
- alexandriajscVIPDined on 6/1/2014Food top notch - everything was amazing. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- Great Indian But Prices Going UpRandolphVernonVIPDined on 5/31/2014Food is great, service is attentive. Atmosphere is East Village, so it's great for groups but not for an elegant date night. Since the opening the prices have crept up. So, while Brick Lane used to be known as a bargain for great food, it is no longer a bargain. Pricing is at the edge of the more upscale, elegant Indians, so need to consider this against competitors.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 322 reviews are from the Brick Lane Curry House reviews archive.
- love the curryBrooklynFoodieDined on 5/24/2014We love brick lane. It's one of our go-to places when we feel like some chicken tikka masala. The menu isn't extensive, but everything we ordered was flavorful and well-prepared. However, we can't wait until they move to their new location. In this space, they try to crowd three people into spaces fit for two. Our hostess tried to squeeze three of us into a corner space clearly intended for two and crowded in by a large group. When we asked for a more appropriately-sized table, we were left standing in the middle of the dining room while the hostess "checked" to see if we could have the table we asked for. Other than the space issue, which we hope will be resolved in the new space, we enjoy Brick Lane thoroughly.Special Features:
- Deceptively original!JulesnBillDined on 4/4/2014The menu doesn't look all that different from other Indian restaurants on the block. But the curries had unique flavoring and were, as others have noted, not too buttery tasting, as curries can be. The nan was light and fresh and the Tandoori vegetables the best I've ever tasted. Two appetizers were special treats--the cauliflower in tomato and the lovely eggplant. We would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Indian mealAds23Dined on 4/3/2014The food was ok but certainly nothing to shout about, it was our least favourite meal the whole of our New York trip. The service was also very average, when clearing our starter plates the waiter took my wife's knife and fork and wiped it clean on her napkin and said to reuse for her main. When the bill arrived it was $81, we gave $100 as that was the smallest bills we had, instead of returning with our change the rather rude waitress never came back and assumed the extra $19 was theirs! I always tip and would most likely have left the change as the tip, I don't appreciate when people assume it is all theirs though.
- Good ChoiceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/28/2014The food was good and delicious. Our waiter(s) were very friendly, although English is clearly not a first language. The restaurant is on the pricey side. A modest dinner for two, no alcohol came up to $100.00. The restaurant is a little narrow in the back. No real complaints. I would come back again.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feels like London!certomDined on 3/22/2014Having fallen in love with Indian food while living in London, we had been unsuccessful in finding similar experiences back in NYC. That ended a few years back when we discovered Brick Lane. Chicken Tikka Masala, Saag and Lamb Jalfrezi are our favorites. Condiments are wonderful as are the varoius Naan. The sizes of the portions are large and we find that 3 main courses and shared appetizer/condiments are plenty for 4 adults. At our latest trip we noticed that some items had been dropped from the menu, but we were able to find everything we wanted and enjoyed it all. The restaurant itself is long and narrow and can be relatively tightly packed. The pleasant service and great food make up for any shortfall in elbow room!Special Features:
- Phantastic phaalneighborVIPDined on 3/8/2014The whole phamily ate the Phaal. Ghost peppers in Cosmos. Even the bread had jalapeños. This is a pepper-lovers dream come true.Special Features:
- Great CurryRosieGDined on 2/28/2014The meal was wonderful. You must like curry, that's what it's all about. There is something for everyone: meat, fish, chicken, vegetarian which is prepared as you like it: Tandoor, Curries, Rice and Breads, Sides, like Raita and Chutney, and the level of heat you prefer. We shared an appetizer of crispy cauliflower in a delicious sauce then our main courses -- Goat Bhuna, Lamb Biryani, and some Rosemary Naan. All were delicious. The service was excellent. The decor is a warm curry color. The noise level was a bit high, we requested a seat farther away from an enthusiastic table of eight and were able to get it. Lucky, because the place was packed. Strongly suggest reservations, we were there on a Friday night. Will definitely go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great value for lunchamiraVIPDined on 2/17/2014the lunch buffet is fresh, and restocked often!! great value!Special Features:
- satisfying spiceaggieDined on 2/14/2014This is our go-to Indian in our neighborhood. Yes, you can get cheaper Indian food elsewhere,and if you are satisfied with cumin-heavy tomato-based sauces on every entree, no matter what you order, then you'll be fine doing that. But if you appreciate the fresh perfume and savor of herbs, coconut, curry leaves, mustard seeds, cardamom etc in your meals, you should come here. Everything is fresh and delicious. I love the salty lassi and the Goan curry. The atmosphere is warm, glowing and tasteful but modern; you don't feel like your in the midst of a gaudy Mumbai travel poster. The staff is gracious and attentive. It's really a transporting experience. I love it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but too expensivegothamsteveDined on 2/7/2014All in all, this was a good place, competent service, pretty good portion size, and all the food was tasty, no complaints there. The real problem I had with it was the prices. Everything, from apps to entrees, was just about twice what I would pay for it at the Indian place a few blocks from my house in Bay Ridge. If the food was that much better, I would have had no problem with that, but it simply wasn't. I think all that I was paying for was being in Manhattan, in the Village, and believe me, it's not worth it. If price isn't an issue for you, then by all means go ahead, but I can't really recommend this place based just on that one fairly important factor. Curries were $20-23 vs $10-12 at my local spot. Don't think I'll be back.Special Features:
- Spicy when you want it.PaulsnoodDined on 1/31/2014Very Good Indian on a street full of Indian. Probably the notable choice with above average ambience and right-on service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian-BritishOliaVIPDined on 1/20/2014This restaurant has the best lamb chops ever and other food is great too!Special Features:
- GreatIndianMangiatobeneDined on 1/11/2014Food was excellent, not cheap, but reasonable. Would definitely recommend this spot to anyone seeking great Indian food, great service as well. I will go back.Special Features:
- GREAT LUNCH BUFFET1KTravelerVIPDined on 1/11/2014This a great example of Indian cuisine with a Brittish flair. I loved the buffet, which was very reasonable and offered a wide variety of delicious dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Indian Food I. NYCNedsherDined on 12/22/2013I cut my teeth on Indian food in the UK, and until I found Brick Lane, I was convinced all Indian food in NYC was second rate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing menuIcchokDined on 12/6/2013Choices were limited and very cramped. Won't go again. Food was mediocre and No real charm to the place.
- Gluten Free FriendlyCeliyakDined on 11/28/2013Since I must eat gluten free, my family decided to try Red Brick for Thanksgiving dinner. We found the staff to be very knowledgeable about gluten. The food was delicious, and there was a wide selection of gluten free options. I will definitely be returning!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for mixed groupshoffmajeDined on 11/28/2013This was a good choice for our dinner, since we had so many special diets in our group of 6: one vegan, two low carb and gluten free, three no restrictions but not very adventurous. The menu was able to accommodate all of us. The food was just right for Indian fare--nothing extraordinary, but good because it was healthy and predictable, tasty and fresh. The service was very good. The atmosphere was cozy, comfortable, neighborhoody.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brit FareNYCNickVIPDined on 11/10/2013Bricklane Curry is a solid east village Indian eatery catering to a more Western and British crowd. Great curries, but a bit on the expensive side considering the options further down the street. Solid staff, everyone is nice and feels less dodgy then some of the alternatives.
- Amazing Indian foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/4/2013The spices they use are so strong and pure. Most Indian places I have been too the good seems to be lacking in the strength of spice and surprisingly taste slightly bland. The food here has so much flavor. I enjoy coming here on any occasion.Special Features:
- Excellent Indian foodPattilewmannelVIPDined on 11/2/2013Great curry. All seafood was amazing. The lamb Samosas are life changing. Only the goat left a little to be desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as usual. I've beenchiefDined on 10/4/2013Great as usual. I've been dining at Brick lane since it opened and I've never been let downSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy but not as good as beforeseasidemorganDined on 9/15/2013This was my second time to eat here, and unfortunately it did not live up to my first experience. Both times I got the Lamb with Butter Masala. The Butter Masala was EXCELLENT and super flavorful both times. First time I had the lamb it melted in your mouth like butter. Second time it was fatty and chewy and tough. Everything else about the experience was up to par, but I was just a touch disappointed in the lamb.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food! And lotsStuSegalDined on 9/14/2013Outstanding food! And lots of gluten-free items, even on the buffet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My curry fixAliceDined on 8/17/2013The food was amazing! The curry was just as spicy as I imagined it! The manager was very informative and ordered for us the perfect meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun EveningSB4diningVIPDined on 8/8/2013In NYC for the weekend and had dinner here our first night. Loved the ambiance - and the food was great!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gracious and GregarioussailorboyjDined on 8/3/2013From the moment you enter Brick Lane Curry House, you're hit with great service, at the bar and at the table. The food is delicious, and our waiter dud a great job communicating the menu and spiciness.. which for those with lower spice tolerance, can mean all the difference between culinary disaster and delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food is great, service is...OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/24/2013Food is very good but waiters are poor. Once they take the order, food is served okay (so I believe kitchen works okay) but it's not easy to hold waiters and drinks are served late. It took me 20 minutes to order food as no waiters were available. Beer is served in 10 minutes after ordered. I wanted water but I had to wait 5 minutes until waiter came to the table, then another 5 minutes until waiter came with water pitcher.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodNyc197Dined on 7/17/2013Food was great, the only downside was the seating was a little restricted, air conditioning not the best, staff very friendly, portion size very large, so a take home bag was needed, overall a nice little find, NYCSpecial Features: