Brenner's Steakhouse on the Bayou
1 Birdsall Street
Houston, TX 77007Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Brenner's Steakhouse on the Bayou
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.brennerssteakhouse.com/bayou/default.htm
- Phone: 7138684444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
Sunday Brunch: 11:00am - 3:00pm
Lounge opens at 5:00pm for cocktails Monday through Saturday
DRESS CODE IS BUSINESS CASUAL
Shorts, flip flops, tank tops or hats are not permitted.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Ryan Braden
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Special Events: Contact Rachel Price for Special Events at 713-868-4444
A word from Brenner's Steakhouse on the Bayou
Situated in a wooded retreat on Houston's Buffalo Bayou, Brenner's Steakhouse offers an incredible setting for an unforgettable dining experience. Bask in the wonder of nature with our lush foliage & cascading waterfall. Inside, the dramatic two-story dining room features breathtaking views from every table. The rustic yet elegant restaurant, which formerly housed the Rainbow Lodge, boasts a stylish new decor, cozy cocktail lounge, wine cellar & spacious patio. Delight in our tender steaks & succulent seafood, while you toast from our award-winning wine list.Continued
Our delectable menu offerings include original Brenner's favorites such as Crunchy German Potatoes & Apple Strudel, as well as prime cuts of beef & the freshest seafood.
Our delectable menu offerings include original Brenner's favorites such as Crunchy German Potatoes & Apple Strudel, as well as prime cuts of beef & the freshest seafood.
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Brenner's Steakhouse on the Bayou - Best Restaurants in River Oaks ›
Brenner's Steakhouse on the Bayou reviews from OpenTable diners
295 reviews since May 6, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (231)special occasion (223)romantic (203)great for outdoor dining (112)notable wine list (85)fit for foodies (72)good for groups (67)neighborhood gem (66)great for brunch (65)vibrant bar scene (50)hot spot (31)late-night find (28)great for lunch (22)kid-friendly (13)Show More
- Good food, poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2014Blue Bar service and dining service sub-par...waited 25 minutes to get a drink in the bar and service in the restaurant was slow too. Lobster bisque was great but just room temp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special special occasiontechie14Dined on 8/31/2014A fortieth wedding anniversary is a special occasion in this day and age. When I made reservations for a dinner for my wife and I, it was with the hope that I could surprise her with a truly "special" evening. I was the one who was surprised. I had never been to Brenners but upon arrival, we were pleasantly surprised to realize that we had been to this location, years ago when it was in operation under a different guise. The staff went out of their to greet and congratulate us on our anniversary and were quite attentive and gracious throughout our meal. The food was wonderful in presentation and quality and our dessert was personalized with happy anniversary. In short, Brenners made our special fortieth anniversary dinner special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014The food, service and ambiance were outstanding! I was worried that maybe it had fallen into a "chain restaurant", but not so. Everything was wonderful and I can highly recommend this for brunch!Special Features:
- Hidden TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014I knew of the restaurant existed, but no knowledge of it's location. Until one day we spotted it while on a kayaking trip down Buffalo Bayou. I have fine dined in the past several times, but Brenner's On The Bayou takes it to another level. It was like being pampered at a day spa, only at a restaurant instead. Be prepared to spend a pretty penny, but worth every dollar. I would definitely recommend Brenner's to a friend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delightfulnibblesVIPDined on 8/30/2014In a tree house overlooking pretty grounds and the bayou-the food is superb, beautifully served and courteous-it is a truly wonderful experience-steaks are very good and the sides are delicious-highly recommend.Special Features:
- Can't believe I never heard of itOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/29/2014Great place, good food and service, beautiful setting - I can't wait to returnSpecial Features:
- Excellent, but closed to earlyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014Had an amazing time at brenners, was looking for a great place for anniversary and this couldn't have been better for Ambiance, romantic setting, service. It was so good that we were disappointed when last call was not called for us and we felt forced to leave early when the restaurant bar closed up as we were enjoying the lounge. Overall it was a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It was our 10th Anniversary...papillionwyngsDined on 8/28/2014We wanted to come back to the restaurant where my husband proposed to me. Back then, it was Rainbow Lodge. Now it's owned by Landry's. We were promised the best table in the house with flowers on the table, and the champagne to be waiting at the table. We got none of that. We were at a crummy table with no view, then they sat 8 drunk loud ladies behind us, halfway through our meal. Swarms of fruit flies visited us. I spent more money on this meal than I have ever spent on a meal in my life. Dissapointed doesn't begin to cover it. What saved the day? The food, the wait staff and the champagne. I will never trust someone who lies to me about giving me the best seat in the house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week Menuviolinpi09Dined on 8/25/2014We generally come to Brenner's for special occasions. Since they also had a special restaurant week menu that had a vegetarian option for every course, we decided to try it out. The food was excellent! The soup de jour was a creamy tomato basil soup which was delicious. The vegetarian meal was super tasty, which is rare for a steakhouse (one of the reasons why I love Brenner's - excellent food for both me and my fiance). MY fiance got the 8 oz. New York Strip, done medium, which I hear was delicious and also came with these amazing cheesy potato cakes. Finally, we got the apple strudel and the chocolate mousse cake, both of which were delicious. Overall, I really like the Brenner's experience - friendly, classy service with excellent food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MagsterDined on 8/23/2014Everything was perfect during my last date with my husband at Brenner's Steakhouse on the Bayou. From the prompt, attentive service to the well-cooked and delicious food, everything was exceptional. We both went the steakhouse route but would be happy to try some of Brenner's non-beef entrees next time. Our waiter was very helpful with wine selection and made excellent recommendations for after-dinner drinks to enjoy with our over-the-top desserts. Overall experience was definitely positive and we will most certainly return.Special Features:
- Dinner @ Brenner'sPPGLDined on 8/23/2014First time at Brenner's. Sat on upper level window table - fantastic view, excellent food, great ambience, beautiful scenery. Nice quiet romantic dinner. I did notice downstairs was more noisy. Will definitely request table upstairs on next visit. Would highly recommend for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great date nightCAVacaDined on 8/23/2014My wife and I had been wanting to eat here for quite some time. We had it built up so much I was ready to be disappointed. The food and atmosphere far exceeded our expectations! Our server was great, the table and food were wonderful. We'll be going back again soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerDcapDined on 8/23/2014Houston Restaurant Week Menu was great. Loved it. Thanks!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/23/2014This was the first time for dining at Brenner's and I came for restaurant week and it was so enjoyable -I loved it - the food was out of this world and the apple pie oh my oh my How I love Pie - I will have to start saving extra money to come again - it was well worth itSpecial Features:
- My favorite place.UncleTomDined on 8/22/2014We have visited Brenner's on several occasions over the last 3 years, and it has become my favorite spot for fine dining and the special occasions. They hosted my retirement function back in March and my guests were very impressed with the facilities and food quality. I noted on the last visit that Brenner's added a lower deck off of the Blue Bar, and I found it to be shaded, very relaxed, and with beautiful scenery. My suggestion to potential customers is to use the OpenTable online reservation agent and go before 06:00 PM. You will catch the normal happy hour pricing, and the noise in the dining area will be several decibels lower.Special Features:
- Great dinning!UMRebel33Dined on 8/21/2014This place never let's me down. Food and service is always wonderful! Not to mention we had the best table, most secluded, romantic table in the house for a party of two. Great view, great food, great atmosphere. 5 starsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014We went for our 15th anniversary and dinner was fantastic. We both had steak, and they were cooked perfectly. The waiter was attentive and polite. Overall, a very good experience. We left stuffed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big parties ruleRobertDined on 8/20/2014Took my family of 6 adults to celebrate my sons birthday. There were several large parties at 6:45 when we arrived. 3 hours later we were exhausted and full of bread and drink when we finally fit our entree 1.5 hours later. Quality was average, serving was sparatic and it was clear we were not a priority. After years of enjoy inning this spot.....I doubt I will do it again. Robert garner
- Too attentive a wait staffConnaisseurDined on 8/20/2014The wait staff were so attentive that they were practically breathing down our necks. As soon as we sat down, they asked us what did we want to drink. We didn't even have time to look at the wine list. Every five minutes they were doting on us. The other issue is that they had a huge table set up that we had to squeeze by on the way to our table. The restaurant should have seated the big table in the back against the window so no one has to inconvenience them by having to walk by them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ambiance.JasHornsDined on 8/19/2014Overall the service at the restaurant was great. The appetizers were wonderful. They were actually better than the meal. The steak was tender and juicy but my other half decided to get chicken. Unfortunately we were not impressed. It was dry and bland. The side of mashed potatoes were cold as well. The ambiance was great however. Great scenery and the music was at an appropriate level where one did not have to shout to be heard. I would say as steak goes and appetizers they were great and I would recommend them. I suppose you can not expect to much from chicken however especially at a steak house. Chicken is well chicken no mater how well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timeAnonymousDined on 8/19/2014We chose this as one of our Houston Restaurant Week options and it was a fantastic first experience! The scenic setting is rare in the Houston area and our server (Ben) was phenomenal! All of the food was delicious and the drinks we ordered from the bar were excellent. Will absolutely return for special occasions ($$$$).Special Features:
- MediocreHoustonnative1958Dined on 8/17/2014Went Sunday night with my wife and 2 teenage daughters and was underwhelmed/disappointed. We arrived at 8 and got a nice table upstairs by a window. Took a while to get service and menus. Louder than I recalled although it quieted down when nearby diners left. But then I could hear (and feel) the floor creaking every time some one walked by! It's showing its age. Appetizers pretty good. Steaks pretty good but nothing special. Very small portion of lamb chops. Overpriced for what you get. Ordered a soufflé when we ordered dinner but waiter forgot to turn soufflé order in. He was kind to comp us two desserts, but really had my mind set on that soufflé. Wine by the glass was good. Typical Fertiitta restaurant.Special Features:
- Perfect Anniversary DinnerGlamorousGrandmaDined on 8/17/2014We celebrated our 41st anniversary at Brenner's On the Bayou and it was perfect! The service was excellent as always and the food was delicious. We love the scenic views and atmosphere. I realized after I left that I had forgotten to give the waiter my "Landry Select" card. I called the restaurant after I got home and spoke with the manager who was very helpful in getting my points credited to my card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Steaks but...JJGJRExpressDined on 8/17/2014We both ordered the filet mignon (one well done and one medium well). Upon delivery we received the wrong steaks. I sent my back for further cooking and my date just kept hers. Prior to the steaks, my date recieved a salad with wilted lettuce. The waiter pointed out that the salad was not wilted but arugula. My date pointed out the pieces of romaine and iceberg that were brown. The waiter then offered a new salad but my date didn't want one. The manager did stop by and apologized for the salad. Nothing else was said. For such a pricy restaurant, we expected better serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/16/2014I took my husband here for his birthday and he loved it! We both did! The service, food, & ambiance were exactly what I was looking for. We had expedited seating with reservations and there was a littke bit of everything on the menu (if you like seafood or steak that is). Excellent experience. We will be back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant Week at Brenner's2121Dined on 8/16/2014First time we've been since the Rainbow Lodge days. Typical of all Landry's acquisitions. Great atmosphere and beautiful surroundings. We were seated in corner room with low ceilings. Noise level was so loud we could not carry a conversation. Waiter had to lean in closely for us to hear him or for him to hear us. We chose Brenner's for Houston Restaurant week. Food was average at best.Special Features:
- Not what I was expectingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Perhaps I was expecting too much from Brenner's. Don't get me wrong, the food was "ok" and the server was polite. However, for the price I was underwhelmed by the food. And the loud atmosphere took away from ambiance for me.
- Food was great, service was notbobbyDined on 8/16/2014The food was amazing and the drink list was extensive and very good. We loved everything that we had and were impressed with the menu. The issue for us was the service was absolutely terrible. The waiter kept on trying to rush us through our meal (if I'm paying $200+ for a meal, I'd like to take my time), forgot to bring me a drink that I ordered, and was aloof at best. I'm usually willing to give restaurants a second chance but the service was so bad that I will not be going back.Special Features:
- Great Food-Service-Table Location??OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Service was first rate and food quality very good. Was disappointed in being seated by the bathroom despite indicating in advance we were celebrating an anniversary. Did appreciate special accommodation of route allowing us to avoid steps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KBKeithVIPDined on 8/15/2014We know this is a great restaurant, but we went for Restaurant Month ("RM"). As soon as we said that, the waiter's attitude went south a bit. The RM menu was not anything special and the "steak" was not up to the reputation of this being a great steakhouse. Don't get me wrong...this is a fabulous place, but if they are going to participate in RM, they should train the waiters to treat you as well as a "regular" menu guest...and they should actually serve a steak with substance. We also had to order a vegetable from the regular menu, because the RM menu doesn't have a vegetable choice. Other places do. Our out-of-town guests were not pleased.Special Features:
- Best SteakBJ1988Dined on 8/15/2014One of the best steaks I ever ate it was cook perfect the way I wanted. The experience was great I can say for the price u pay it's all worth it . I didn't have a problem with anything from the time we arrived to the time we left. I would tell all of my friends about this place so they can have the same experience I did.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Houston GreatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Food was excellent, service was top-notch, great place for a elegant dinner.Special Features:
- Great serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Great service. We were put in the back corner of the lower room which made it hard to view anything, but made for a romantic private area. Waiter was highly enthusiastic and eager to answer our questions.Special Features:
- luvnlifeVIPDined on 8/13/2014Wonderful waiter. Great table with beautiful view.Special Features:
- Zagat over rated happy hour joinGoToTheRealOneDined on 8/13/2014I love Brenner's Steakhouse and I decide to try it Zagat rated. A big mistake.I requested window table and a day and I was assured that table will be ready for my party of 3. On arrival I was escorted to window table for two.10 minutes later I've got some table inside sourounded by very loud people after happy hour. Service was slow it took more than good 30 minutes to get main dish after soup and appetizers. Comparine it to the real one service is awful. In real Brenner's everything is smooth and fuid - food, drinks, service, ambiance. Here we had bad service mediocre food only main and one appetizerswas good, rest was mediocre and/or bad. Got to the real thing for food and service and stay with the Bayou one for outside happy hour.
- Excellent serverOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/13/2014Although I can not remember his name- OUTSTANDING in every aspect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always spectacular dinnerRadioprinceVIPDined on 8/13/2014Sat on a small romantic table on a platform as you descend the stairway. Flank steak with shrimp and grits was delicious. Afterwards the patio is always inviting and energetic. A favorite spot!Special Features:
- Outstanding EveningDrinkDinnerDessertLoverDined on 8/12/2014The Blue Bar outside is amazing - the Pear Martini is a must! For dinner the Center Cut Filet with the Oscar Topping is to die for and makes the meal! Andrzej was an amazing waiter and very knowledgeable on the dinner and wine menu - never rushed us and answered all of our questions and gave excellent suggestions. There isn't a bad table in the restaurant and no matter where you are seated it feels intimate and you have a gorgeous view of the bayou and surroundings. A true gem in Houston that removes you from the city life and gives you an oasis to escape.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will return soonGrandeDined on 8/10/2014So glad I chose Brenner's on the Bayou. Our dinning experience was perfect.Special Features:
- Perfect for our Anniversary!RedWolf67Dined on 8/10/2014My husband and I were celebrating our 29th Anniversary and decided on Brenner's for dinner. It was VERY pricey, but everything from beginning to end was absolutely perfect. Service was extremely attentive, the food was delectable, and they even wrote on our dessert plate in chocolate wishing us a Happy 29th Anniversary. The ONLY negative thing I have to say is that on their website it says business casual. To me that means slacks/dresses, no shorts or tank tops or flip flops, and I saw loads of shorts, even one lady in her ripped leggings and tennis shoes..... I just didn't feel that some people were dressed appropriately for such a fancy place. Otherwise it was wonderful!!!Special Features: