Brennan's of Houston
3300 Smith Street
Houston, TX 77006Neighborhood:
Midtown / Montrose
Creole / Cajun / SouthernPrice: $31 to $50
Brennan's of Houston
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.brennanshouston.com/
- Phone: 7135229711x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM, Sunday: 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:45 PM- 10:00 PM
Jackets Preferred - NO Shorts, Flip-Flops, Torn Jeans, Beach Wear or Athletic Wear will be Seated
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Creole / Cajun / Southern
- Executive Chef: Danny Trace
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We know that each event is special and at Brenan’s, our mission is to make your event a great memory.
From 10-150, we offer several dining rooms to accommodate your party size as well as full restaurant buy-outs.
Ballroom-seats up to 160: One of Houston's oldest and most distinguished private party settings which may be divided into 3 smaller rooms.
Little Room-seats up to 18: Great for an intimate group.
Solarium-seats up to 40: Whimsical design perfect for casual luncheon.
Courtyard Balcony-seats up to 30: Beautiful view of the Courtyard can be enjoyed from every table in this second floor dining room.
Wine Room-seats up to 30: An elegant second floor working wine room.
John Staub-seats up to 36: Named after the building's famed architect, this cozy room enjoys a fireplace and outdoor views.
Terms of Endearment-seats up to 30: Named after the movie which was filmed in part here.
- Private Party Contact: Nicole Wilker 7135353380x
- Entertainment: For weekend diners, Brennan’s Creole Jazz Brunch remains a four-star tradition among Houston's Sunday brunch enthusiasts. The air is filled with an abundance of tantalizing jazz music and the fragrance of fresh flowers; southern mainstays and twists on classic favorites are graciously served in sun-filled dining areas.
A word from Brennan's of Houston
Since our 1967 opening as a sister restaurant to the world-famous Commander’s Palace in New Orleans, Brennan's of Houston has evolved into the city's premier destination for memorable dining served with true Southern hospitality.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
Brennan's of Houston - Best Restaurants in Midtown / Montrose ›
Brennan's of Houston reviews from OpenTable diners
323 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (247)romantic (207)fit for foodies (152)great for brunch (150)notable wine list (120)great for lunch (90)good for groups (83)neighborhood gem (77)great for outdoor dining (47)hot spot (23)scenic view (17)vibrant bar scene (13)late-night find (9)kid-friendly (7)Show More
- Brennan's of HoustonOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/28/2014Really enjoyed our brunch. The valet parking staff was efficient and professional. We enjoyed our food, although the portion are really significant; we chose to eat salads for dinner! Our server (Eric) and the support staff were attentive, but intrusively so. We enjoyed the musicians as well as the quiet house music; that added to the truly pleasant experience. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:
- Food, service, atmosphere- EXCELENTHoustonFoodieVIPDined on 9/27/2014Brennan's hits all the right notes. Every one of our dining experiences at Brennan's has been exceptional!Special Features:
- DisappointedDiningOutDined on 9/26/2014We heard great reviews from friends. Our experience was mediocre. We waited at least 15/20min for our wine and cocktails and the entree that was highly recommended was way too salty and heavy. I would have sent it back if I could. I don't foresee is returning to this restuarant.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 9/26/2014Rodney was an awesome server, who talked the kitchen into making me an off the menu appetizer that I had enjoyed during a visit last month. He also gave us quite a show for the Bananas Foster! Thank you, Rodney!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing establishment!!!MarkVIPDined on 9/23/2014Best food ever. This was my first time here and I will definitely be back for special occasions. It's pricey but well worth it once their good hits your lips!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brennan's Keeps CharmPrincessDined on 9/23/2014The new Brennan's has managed to keep the cozy charm of the old restaurant. The service is great. The inside is beautiful. The out door patio is lovely. My only hesitation about the new Brennan's has been the menu. The current menu has a wide spectrum of selections, but very limited choices that I like and I usually end up picking the steak. Dessert are fantastic and the 25 cent martinis at lunch are the best deal in town.Special Features:
- Duck Duck Gooset628Dined on 9/21/2014Our server, Thomas was terrible. He paid little to no attention to us (and his other table) the entire time, instead focusing on one table full of women celebrating a birthday. We asked for a couple minutes to review the menu, he came back 10minutes later. He rarely checked on our table to see if we were ok, to the point where the bussers were actually taking care of us and the sommelier filling our glasses. He was an absolute goose. As for the food, it sounds as if I was the only one of 6 that was disappointed with the food as my duck was overcooked, dry, and not tender. I've been to Brennan's on a few occasions and loved it; this was not one of those times.Special Features:
- Charming, old-style restaurantJeanneDined on 9/21/2014This is such a gem amongst the "new food" scene in Houston. It is what a restaurant experience should be. The staff are professional, polite and very friendly. We felt well taken care of and relaxed when we left. We were celebrating a 12 year old birthday and by the time the band sang to him and they produced a special Birthday dessert with chef's hat, he felt like a special Birthday boy! We love to celebrate special family occassions here as the food is fabulous, the ambiance is quiet and elegant and everyone is attentive to every need. And the new decor is beautiful! Thank you to Brennan's for being a beautiful tradition in Houston.Special Features:
- Poor Service, Inconsistent FoodeatoutalotVIPDined on 9/19/2014My wife's meal was great, my meal was terrible. My plate was hot, but the food was cold. I sent it back and still received a hot plate and cold food with no flavor. Then I ordered a wine (pointed to it on their list and specified the year). When the bill comes the wine they actually served was 4x the price of what we ordered. When I protested their mistake. I was chastised by the sommelier for not paying attention. They ended up discounting the wine to 225.00. We eat dinner out 20+ times a month. Second time in 4 months we have received the wrong wine at a restaurant. Funny they never make a mistake and bring our a cheaper wine. Maybe I am naive in believing they are making an honest mistake. This is an easy way to goose the bill.Special Features:
- Best birthdayRosebudDined on 9/18/2014Our sons 22nd birthday and it surpassed our expectations! Our niece joined us for the Chefs dinner and she said it best "the best meal & time I've ever had!" Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disapointedsb23124567VIPDined on 9/13/2014All the hype - all the disappointment Nice decor but the the service was sub-par & the food was average at best. For a restaurant of this caliber as was expecting more.
- Great. Fun.johnnymac555Dined on 9/13/2014The pork shank was great. Always fun to be seated looking out to the courtyard to watch the weddings and goings-ons.Special Features:
- Wonderful experiencesaintsgrlVIPDined on 9/13/2014Excellent food and impeccable service! The restaurant is quiet and intimate. We will definitely be backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful EveninghTownDined on 9/12/2014Haven't been here in awhile. Now I remember what I was missing! We had reservations but ended sitting in the bar because the service was so good while we were having a cocktail. The Ponchatrain is soooooo delish! Husband had shrimp & grits. Its cooked tableside! The cocktails are dynamite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- old schoolbrazucaDined on 9/10/2014Good food but too salty and pricey, it has a history but its culinary cant compete with Houstons new scene.Special Features:
- My favorite!HappyDinerVIPDined on 9/7/2014I love this restaurant !! Food is fabulous!!! Service is perfect!! It is a very special place and makes the diners feel special!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- a lively ambiencedinner42Dined on 9/6/2014It wasn't a romantic dinner for my wife and I as the restaurant was very lively, but ultimately we enjoy it. Food was great, both the starters and the main course. We were a bit disappointed by the dessert, however it could be as well because we're full. Definitely a place to go for southern recipesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor quality food in a nice settingKatKatDined on 9/6/2014The food was really not that good especially considering the prices. The service and ambiance was excellent!Special Features:
- Still as great as in the pastRWH123VIPDined on 8/31/2014This is a gem that never goes out of style. Great service. Excellent food. Wish we could go weekly instead of for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had come to expect betterbulterTDined on 8/31/2014We did not like the windowless wine room. I was told they did not have my reservation. food was cold by the time it reached our table. We waited 30 minutes for the check, even after I had requested the check.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Anniversary ExperienceFabforfortyDined on 8/31/2014My husband and I dined at Brennan's with our friends to celebrate our 40th anniversary. We enjoyed the entire experience since it has been over 30 years since we were there. The couple that dined with us were equally pleased with everything. The food and the wait staff were excellent. The one minor comment I would add is I wish the bread had been warm, but that did not take away from our entire experience. Also, the band was an added touch that made it more enjoyable. We do plan to return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014It felt like I was in the French Quarters in New Orleans. The decor was relaxing and it allowed me to sit back and enjoy my meal. The food was very good as well as the service. I would recommend this restaurant to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy groupsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/30/2014Sadly, no attempt was made to quiet noisy groups of people who never learned how to behave in a fine restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tradition ContinuesOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/30/2014I've never been disappointed at Brennan's. The food iand service are always outstanding. You can't go wrong ordering the turtle soup and Bananas Foster. My only minor complaint was that we were seated upstairs in a fairly sterile room. I prefer to eat downstairs in the main dining room for the ambiance.Special Features:
- First time patronsimplysherryDined on 8/30/2014I have heard only good things about this restaurant in the past few years. I am so glad that I was able to finally try this fine establishment for myself. I was greeted by the hostess as soon as I stepped inside and was shown where my table was located as I arrived about half an hour early and I decided to sit in the bar area and wait for my guests to arrive. I had a breath-taking view of the outside courtyard while I waited. Our server, Ryan, was the best. I look forward to dining here again in the near future. (the pecan pralines are DELICIOUS).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful dining experience!Texantravelers5Dined on 8/30/2014We visited for brunch during Restaurants Weeks and had not only a marvelous meal but a wonderful experience as well. Our wait staff was impeccable and allowed us time to enjoy a leisurely paced meal. We asked to look around a bit and were give a delightful tour after our meal. I highly recommend the wing back chairs, they are quite comfortable. My husband has never, I repeat never, spent 2 hours on a meal before. But 2 hours later he emerged from Brennan's smiling and saying what a wonderful, relaxing experience it was. There is hope for him yet!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the food and the ambiance!AngeDined on 8/29/2014It was my first time at Brennan's and I loved the service from Eric and Keys. They gave excellent recommendations and the food and beverages were great. I would definitely recommend it to friends and family. I eat out a lot so I will most definitely go back. My friend and I were trying it out for Restaurant Week and I'd heard great things about the restaurant, just happy it met my expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service was OUTSTANDINGBWnTXDined on 8/29/2014Ordered from the HRW menu, which is an exceptional value. Filet Mignon's and Chicken entrees were delicious. Guests favorite - the famous Banana's Foster! Excellent dining experience had by all!Special Features:
- JamesDined on 8/29/2014Every bit as good as the original New Orleans location!Special Features:
- Glad it was only lunch they ruinedhb01VIPDined on 8/29/2014Had to ask for a valet ticket then they couldn't find the car when leaving. Inside, had to ask for right menus and give them back the dessert menus. Had to tell them what they brought was not what we ordered then wait with one person already served. Food was dry, fishy and the oysters were not flushed well. Everything was overcooked and over salted. Really poor considering their history. Brennan's is off my list.
- Great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/29/2014This place is great I loved the ambiance. Did not like having to dine upstairs not user friendly for elderly or handicap. Did have hair in food but wait staff was gracious and apologetic. Would dine there again.Special Features:
- Great lunchPeggyDined on 8/28/2014Last week I had the turtle soup and grill added and grits from the restaurant week menu. This week I tried the green salad and the salmon for the restaurant week menu. All were delicious! Today I tried the Mississippi Mud pie and it is decadent! Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BiscuitDined on 8/27/2014Very disappointed in filets, 3 of us had them and they were all very tough, not the quality we have become accustomed to at Brennan's. the rest of the meal was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kids Chicken Finger:RaeRaeDined on 8/27/2014The kids chicken fingers, french fries and apple juice was over priced for a child. My daughters food cost as much as mine. We could have ordered a regular entree' for her because what we paid and the small portions was high way and consider it as robbery. Horrible to over price a child's meal as such. If I have to bring my daughter with me in the future, we will not return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DininGemVIPDined on 8/26/2014Brennan's is a long-standing tradition in Houston, and despite some unforeseen events, has managed to stay among the top restaurants in town. We recently confirmed the high quality of his place. The turtle soup remains outstanding as is the escargots in crepes. My boneless ribey was superb, although my wife's filet remained rare even after sending it back to the kitchen to get to "medium-rare". Desserts were excellent, and they accommodated our special wishes with a smile. Certainly worth a return!Special Features:
- Remarkable!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/26/2014My husband and I went to Brennan's for our 48th anniversary. It was absolutely wonderful! The restaurant is warm, elegance and they make you feel so comfortable. I can't say enough about the service, you did not want for anything. The food, was absolutely delicious, as always. As an appetizer, the Chef sent us a plate of seafood canapés for our special occasion, and also a plate of pralines (dessert) with Happy Anniversary on it. We are planning on New Years Eve dinner at Brennan's, can't wait!Special Features:
- an awesome 1st experience!eatalldayandnight247Dined on 8/26/2014garlic bread was off da chain! turtle soup was actually very tasty. filet mignon was good, but that bananas foster and bread pudding was a done deal - foreals! only regret was...we should have came sooner!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great all around!GulliverVIPDined on 8/26/2014True to Brennan family hospitality. Lovely birthday lunch for a lovely lady.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Finest of Houston's Fine DiningjcaynonDined on 8/25/2014Brennan's is fine dining at it's finest. It sets the standard by which I judge other high end restaurants. The food is excellent and the staff is helpful and knowledgable without being intrusive. I suggest the turtle soup (with sherry) and... anything else on the menu. I have never had a bad meal there. If the cost is prohibitive, try them during Houston's Restaurant Weeks. You get the Brennan's experience at a fraction of the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Orleans in HoustonOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014Fabulous tasting food with excellent service combined with one of Houston's only dress code enforced resturant. The Bannana's Foster is amazing and baked at the table!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.