Breakwater Restaurant & Bar - Greenville
802 South Main St
Greenville, SC 29601Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Breakwater Restaurant & Bar - Greenville
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.breakwatersc.com/
- Phone: 8642710046x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday thru Saturday
Bar Opens at 4pm
Dinner is served 5pm until 9:30pm and 10pm Thurs thru Saturday
Closed on Sunday
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access
A word from Breakwater Restaurant & Bar - Greenville
Welcome to Breakwater Restaurant. Here, Chef Lang and Chef Shaw create their version of 'New Southern Cuisine' which contains elements of the past and the present. Younger, lighter and fresher than ‘old school’ Southern deep-fried fare, Breakwater cuisine incorporates culinary influences from around the world. The bar at Breakwater offers a lively venue for locals and visitors alike. The fun, friendly atmosphere combined with warm Southern hospitality is a Breakwater signature.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Breakwater Restaurant & Bar - Greenville - Best Restaurants in Greenville ›
Breakwater Restaurant & Bar - Greenville reviews from OpenTable diners
83 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (48)special occasion (44)vibrant bar scene (31)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (29)good for groups (20)romantic (18)hot spot (11)great for brunch (4)scenic view (4)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Best Kept SecretOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/16/2014I really enjoyed my food and experience at Breakwater. The service was great we were treated like royalty. The manager/owner(?) was very nice and we enjoyed learning about the history of our drink. The complimentary valet parking was great. I will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyEaterDined on 9/9/2014It was a 2nd time Great Food, Great Service. Everyone cares that you are satisfied.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Choicejohncar3Dined on 9/5/2014With so many restaurants in downtown Grenville, Breakwater is a great choice. Food and service was excellent, and I will definitely return. If you want a great meal without the sticker shock, this is the place.Special Features:
- Good.sxtoll88VIPDined on 9/3/2014Enjoyable. Great service. Wouldn't recommend for special occasions though.Special Features:
- First visit to the Greenville loc..BlueHawaii12Dined on 9/2/2014..Love the Beaufort location. Appetizer Sampler is the best way to help decide which entree fits your mood. Crispy fried oysters, fresh tuna tar tar with diced avocado (perfect), beef cappacio was tender loaded with flavor and the homemade Pimento Cheese -for me, a comfort food, with a kick. I beat the crowd dining early evening enjoying the friendly service. Grilled Cobia fish was the feature served with creamed spinch, green beans and carrots over a bed of creamy grits. Wonderful flavor, a white flaky fish.. most of which I enjoyed later as a midnight snack. Looking forward to my next visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Foodie Fest WinnerGreenvilleloverDined on 8/29/2014Tried Breakwater during Greenville Foodie Fest. The service was very friendly and knowledgable, and they were willing to share their own opinions on the menu choices.Special Features:
- Good promotionJ2dineDined on 8/28/2014We took advantage of Restaurant Week 3 for $30. Great way to introduce client to new dining experience.Set menu was large enough to offer several choices. Wait staff was helpful and gave excellent recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our favorite restaurantWiggsDined on 8/27/2014This is the 2nd time we've been to Breakwater and it didn't disappoint. I had the chilli rubbed duck breast and it was perfection. The portions are just right. Everything is well prepared and well thought out. Overall great flavours and spice. We like that they aren't afraid to have some heat in their preparations. We've been to a couple of fine dining restaurants that have great looking entrees but lack flavor and spices. This is our new go to for a special nite out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SKATDined on 8/21/2014We try restaurants during Foodie Week and this one's a keeper. Fine Dining. Very Good Food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Better options out thereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/21/2014We had a family dinner at Breakwater on 8/21 & though the food was good we did not feel any of it was worth the higher price you will pay here. This is only our 2nd time visiting Greenville, so we may have just gone on an off night, but we will be exploring the other restaurants Greenvillie has to offer on our next visit.
- Great addition to dining in G'villePhillJDined on 8/15/2014Great food, service and location. A little on the high side on price but the food and service was outstanding. Noise level was way too in Noisy, probably just the building itself. That would be my only recommendation. Try to find dome ways yo get the noise level down a little.Special Features:
- ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/15/2014Staff very friendly and food was great! We will be back. Thank you for excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- another good mealpastor4foodDined on 8/13/2014Always like dining at Breakwater. It is not too over the top yet stylish and the food is consistently very good. I find it is a great place to take guests from out of town as they get to see the whole of Greenvile North Main St - past the Peace Center and Falls Park area to the West End as you come. Always good to show off Greenville especially it's fine dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great diningFoodie2Dined on 8/8/2014Very friendly, attentive staff and food was very fresh. The waitress recommended the special for the evening "wild white salmon" which was excellent and turned out to be the best meal. My husband had the pork ribeye which was equally as excellent, tender and perfect with the peach BBQ glaze. Definitely would go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find...foodydoodyDined on 8/8/2014This was the first time for us at Breakwater. It was all that I thought it would be and the food was superb. The waiter could have smiled a bit more but he did very well overall. I will certainly dine there again without hesitation.Special Features:
- Very ImpressedscpywDined on 8/6/2014An unexpected great experience. The friendly and service of staff was excellent and very accommodating, the food delicious. What more could you ask for?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/6/2014Menu selections and food was delicious! Well prepared! Great evening!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome !BreakthefunDined on 8/4/2014First romantic date and I say breakwater did the greatest job with everything ! Food, service ect..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Meal and Great ServiceLive4foodVIPDined on 8/4/2014This was a Business dinner and it went very well. Just the right amour of service attention and great Food.Special Features:
- Love BreakwaterCushingDined on 7/28/2014We aren't new to Breakwater. This is one of our favorite restaurants in Greenville. The staff is always great & the food is always wonderful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicous!checkersDined on 7/26/2014This was my first time at Breakwater and it was wonderful! There were seven of us in our party and everyone enjoyed the food, the ambiance and the service. Our waitress was very helpful in recommendations and also letting us know what foods were spicy, etc. All in all, it was a great experience and we would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceKendallDined on 7/24/2014First time visit, recommended by the chamber of Commerence. Great service, food and atmosphere. Waiter was engaging with suggestions for wine and menu.Special Features:
- Dinner DiningWayneDined on 7/24/2014My steak was cooked perfectly and tender. My wife's caprese salad had delicious artisan tomatoes. Overall a very nice meal with attentive service and a nice visit by the owner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingBfoodieDined on 7/22/2014What a great find in a small up and coming city. The food was wonderful and the services was exceptional. I recommended the restaurant the next day to another family visiting colleges in the area.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sweetpea1948Dined on 7/19/2014First time eating at Breakwater and was not disappointed. We had made reservations and were promptly seated when we arrived. Our table was located in the front with a wonderful view of Main Street.The food was very good and the service was outstanding. Our waiter, Cameron, answered our questions and made excellent suggestions on the wine and dinner. We will definitely come back. A wonderful discovery for dining in downtown Greenville.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningPmcPDined on 7/15/2014I brought an out of town guest for dinner along with my wife. The service and meal was excellent and wine choices were good. The atmoshpere was quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner on a Monday nightMarkJVIPDined on 7/14/2014Great dinner spot! Dinner was good, service was excellent, and host/manager was present and asked often about the food and quality of our experience. Server and wate service were exceptional. Bar was full when we arrived and when we left. Definitely wil be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!NYCDinerVIPDined on 7/12/2014We thoroughly enjoyed our dinner @ Breakwater and this was only our second time coming to this restaurant. We go to downtown Greenville all the time for dinner and Breakwater moved way up on our list of restaurants to go to, we will be back soon! Nice job & keep it up!
- Lovely food, great drinks!LejlawsonDined on 7/3/2014Enjoyed our foray into the Breakwater, with fantastic hamburgers, scallops and shrimp. Nice selection of wines as well as really nice bar. Especially enjoyed the Espresso martini.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special DinnerHappyEaterDined on 6/26/2014It was the 1st time we ate at the Breakwater. I had received a gift of a gift certificate and decided to use it for our anniversary dinner. The waiter staff was very attentive. The waiter let us know if we had any special dietary needs they'd be able to help us out. For a Thursday night it was an active restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved the lamb meatloaf.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/17/2014Waiter informed us of the specials, then took our appetizer order, then gave us a welcome period of socializing before ordering. Appetizers were delicious (Southern Sampler), as were the entrees. Great restaurant; we'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Casual SpotSCsFoodyLouDined on 6/14/2014Enjoyed my time there for father's day... shrimp and grits were good and the pimento cheese is amazing! The bar area was great for groups.Special Features:
- Great place!jrlaskowsDined on 6/13/2014We enjoyed our experience here! The service was great. The manager checked on us multiple times. The waiter accepted our living social deal even though it was not valid on a Friday night. The food was delicious! I had the fried chicken and others had the short rib and tuna. I have already made plans to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great varied menuTennisGirlVIPDined on 6/7/2014Love that tuna appetizer! As always, the menu has a good variety of things to choose from. You could easily have a wonderful dinner just from appetizers alone, but the entrees are enticing as well.Special Features:
- Good food, too loudOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/7/2014The food was quite good. My wife and I both had the filet which was well cooked (accurately medium and medium well), nicely seasoned and the portion was generous. Our waitress was kind and courteous but a little green. The ambiance was nice aesthetically but my major complaint is that the bar crowd was far too loud and overwhelmed the entire restaurant, possibly we just picked a bad night, crowd wise. Overall, I would recommend Breakwater for a special night out.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food,service needs improvementtmb412Dined on 5/30/2014Waiter seemed distracted. Very nonchalant. A few times he noted how it wasn't too busy but we still managed to wait quite a while for drinks and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014The food is amazing! However, the portion sizes have drastically decreased since I was there last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GrilleDined on 5/23/2014Food was very good, but the menu is a bit limited.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 383 reviews are from the Breakwater Restaurant & Bar - Greenville reviews archive.
- Cozy little peachAhbejoDined on 5/23/2014Breakwater was surprisingly cozy, but yet open. I found the food delicious, menu easy and superb, wait staff was attentive. Highly recommend this!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner!teresahsVIPDined on 5/17/2014We were in town for my son's college graduation. Breakwater was the perfect restaurant for our family! An added treat was the park in downtown Greenville. It is SO worth a stroll down the street!Special Features: