Bread & Wine
3734 West Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60641Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bread & Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.breadandwinechicago.com/
- Phone: 7738665266x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday from 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:30pm (Bar open till Midnight)
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Dean Reynolds
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Ridgeway
- Public Transit: 3 blocks east from the Irving Park blue line. We are on the Irving Park bus route and we are also 3 blocks east of the Irving park Metra stop.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is a 10 space parking lot directly in front and free street parking.
A word from Bread & Wine
Bread & Wine is a New American restaurant and market.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bread & Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
74 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (52)neighborhood gem (52)notable wine list (37)special occasion (31)romantic (25)great for outdoor dining (24)great for brunch (15)good for groups (15)hot spot (8)great for lunch (6)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (3)scenic view (2)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- Delicious and unpretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014Brunch was fantastic. Lots of good flavors without anything weird or too fancy for no reason. Great aesthetic and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst ServiceSallyODined on 8/30/2014It took 10 minutes for our waiter to see us when we sat down. We finally had to ask our hostess if one could come to our table. Our drinks took a long time to come out. Dinner took a long time to come out. You get tired of tapping your fingers on the table. We ordered dessert at the beginning of the meal and it came out a good 25 minutes after they cleared our dinner plates. We couldn't even drink coffee while we waited because we ordered it right after dinner and that took a good 15-20 minutes to get to our table. They even forgot to bring the pasta that I had boxed up back to us. I had to ask for it, to which our waiter said, "Oh yea!" Yeesh, this place wasn't on top of anything. Food was unremarkable. Would NOT recommend.
- just so soOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014Service was very slow; we waited awhile between every course and it wasn't worth the wait. For better food and much better service, go a bit further down Irving Park to Central and go to the Portage.Special Features:
- ME2reviewVIPDined on 8/29/2014The call they made to me on the day of our reservation to confirm was a nice touch and turned out to be helpful as I needed to change the number of people in our reservation several times. They were most gracious about it. An excellent time was had by all!Special Features:
- Hidden Gem Smashed by GrouponLaurieDined on 8/23/2014I was able to find out about Bread & Wine through a Groupon I received as a gift - 2 small plates, 2 large plates, and 2 desserts - for $59. This almost sounds too good to be true and it kind of was. It was great to sit at the Chef's Table and experience the kitchen, but it was apparent there were too few cooks, too many orders coming in, and not enough servers. I would love to return to Bread and Wine during a less hectic period to enjoy the dining experience. And the Groupon should be updated to be 1 small plate/2 large plates/1 dessert based on the fact that I was stuffed after the appetizers, we ended up taking home the desserts, the kitchen would be better able to handle orders, and that they would still be offering a great deal.Special Features:
- Great Date NightDebbieDined on 8/23/2014When we arrived the place was only half full, but by the time we left it was packed. The drinks were outside the norm, but decent and the food was good. The dim lighting made it romantic for our date night, however there were families there with children as well. Overall a great place to try.Special Features:
- Fabulous Find!spiritsgeekDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I have driven past Bread & Wine multiple times and kept saying "we should go there sometime". With a Groupon popping up for there I decided that Saturday was the prime time to finally try it. I am so bummed we waited this long! It's a lovely little place with attentive (but not too much) staff, a great drink list and absolutely phenomenal food. We will definitely be back. In fact, though it's just a couple weeks away, we plan to go back to celebrate our anniversary there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surprise on Irving RdCuznbartVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great neighborhood restaurant on w. Irving. Charcuterie is excellent as are the speciality drinks and entrées.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bread and wineMJT26Dined on 8/15/2014Grey experience all around - we will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to have brunch or dinnermeltdwnforceDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I like to go once a month to the restaurant. I love that it moved into the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great Group PlacecitygirlVIPDined on 8/13/2014There were 8 of us that met for book club here! Great restaurant. Excellent wine and 1/2 price bottles on Tuesdays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findluv2dineDined on 8/2/2014We went to Bread and Wine as a last minute idea. They were able to seat us no problem, and even on the patio. The evening was lovely, and the food excellent. Our sever, Max, was a gem - he and my husband hit it off instantly and he was able to make spot on recommendations that worked out real well. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem!NancyODined on 7/31/2014Lovely place with parking too. Good food, wine and service -- what more could you ask for? I have been there several times and will be sure to go back again soon.Special Features:
- Great food- terrible ambienceDthcrsVIPDined on 7/25/2014We dined inside, not warm and inviting- concrete floors, hi-end plastic chairs. Not what we expected. The food was awesome- very well prepared and interesting presentations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnMJG27Dined on 7/25/2014This is our second time, my husband and I enjoyed both times. The food is present beautifully and taste wonderful. Neighborhood spot with downtown fare.Special Features:
- Great service and interesting menuSalukimomDined on 7/22/2014Our entire party enjoyed dinner immensely. Nice cocktails and wine selections. Loved the chef's selection chacuterie and cheese plate. Pork chop on the prix fix menu and trout were standouts. I noticed the caramel corn panna cotta got raves on prior reviews so had to try it, and it sure didn't disappoint - very tasty! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I enjoyed dining on the intimate outdoor patio at Bread & Wine on a Saturday night. We shared a salad, then I had the chicken and he ordered the hanger steak. We shared an excellent French wine. Everything was delicious. What really made the evening stand out, however, was the service. From the time we set foot in the restaurant to the time we walked out, we felt welcomed and well cared-for. What a great find not far from our home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotcesinthecityDined on 7/16/2014Went here for a small birthday dinner to include the boyfriend, my mom & her husband... but the boyfriend ended up planning a small surprise dinner to include the kids, my closest friends and more family. The staff was very accommodating, very sweet about our increased group, helped with suggested apps & menus for the kids, great service, even delivered, cut & candled the cakes that my friends bought for me. I'm glad we had dinner on a weekday, so it wasn't overly packed, but there were still a good amount of diners in there and hopefully weren't bothered by our chatty noise! The food was so delicious, I'm excited to return and try some more. The crispy semolina gnocchi - omg so good! Everyone enjoyed their selected dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!NicknameVIPDined on 7/16/2014Went mid week early at 6 and sat outside on a beautiful night. Service was really freindly and efficient. Food was really tasty and fresh. Portions were generous. Had some really great wine. We sat there for three and half hours and it seemed to just fly by. When we left the main dining room was full and the whole vibe felt just great. Will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lindengirlVIPDined on 7/12/2014My fourth visit did not disappoint. Every dish we ordered was great. The menu is small, but it seems like everything on it is very good. I had the "special" pan seared white fish, with crispy skin which was delicious, accompanied by a surprisingly light yet very flavorful risotto. The burger was great, the papardelle carbonara -- to die for (fresh pasta..) The panna cotta was very good as well! They definitely use quality ingredients, and the chef definitely knows what he/she is doing. if this restaurant were located in, lets say, River North, it would be impossible to get a reservation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Delicious food and a wonderful atmosphere. The salted caramel popcorn panna cotta was one of the best desserts I have ever had. Bread & Wine is on our lists of favorites on Chicago's northside!Special Features:
- What a find!SherrieVIPDined on 7/5/2014We've been here several times and have always been impressed...don't leave without trying the gnocchi, carmel corn panna cotta, chocolate mouse and the list goes on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GNOchgomomX2VIPDined on 6/28/2014All three of us girls thought this place was ok to good. Our server was very friendly and helpful. The food was ok......we had a good charcuterie plate, a legume app and a few other dishes.....all were ok to good. The trout was very tasty. We had a very tasty bottle of French burgundy.....that was our highlight.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice neighborhood place!MinnieDined on 6/28/2014Definitely try this lovely restaurant. They are pretty innovative and very, very accommodating; in our case, our waitperson was so helpful and thoughtful regarding some food allergies we have. Be sure to try the trout--it is fantastic!Special Features:
- Disappointing, bland, slow kitchendineguyDined on 6/20/2014First off, I want to say that the restaurant has a great ambience, and that our server was great and overall service was friendly and helpful. Our biggest problem of the night was the food itself. We were nine people so there was a lot to compare. The kitchen botched a few orders (we had three burgers cooked three different ways with different requests and they just confused all of it). In addition, their paté that we'd heard so much about was bland. The special soup (mushroom broth) tasted like pickle juice. We had two steaks, one was great, the other was overly chewy. The trout was great, however, as was dessert. Also, we spent about 25 minutes waiting between the clearing of first course and our main course.
- AmazingMargo57VIPDined on 6/19/2014had one of the most amazing meals ever. The combination of tastes were sublime. Wonderful service. Maybe a little to aggressive in refilling water. Otherwise 0 complaints!Special Features:
- Top notch food and wineChicagoNatVIPDined on 6/6/2014Went for the first time and loved the cheese plate. The burger was incredible. Nettle pappardelle pasta was unique and tasty. The service was informed and friendly, and the crowd looked so happy to be enjoying the great dining. Wine list is a gem.Special Features:
- Easygoing upscale food & atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014The restaurant has an open and fresh look - simple, crisp and minimalist. They serve great (Intelligentsia) coffee. Their food is fresh, delicious. They put simple twists on classic dishes to keep things interesting yet familiar at the same time. It's a cool place any time of day, I've enjoyed weekend brunch/lunch, after dinner drinks and dessert. Both of my friends who i was there with liked it, too. They also seem into farm to table ingredients, as our server suggested the seasonal omelette with local veggies to my friend, who really enjoyed it. I had a BLT with a poached egg, and sun-dried (or roasted?) tomato on it. The hash browns tasted like French fries. I'm not complainin'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again perfect'ChrisDined on 5/31/2014We love this restaurant - it's a delicious date night! We had the mussels and kale salad, followed by the fish special and hanger steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice wine barWinedudeVIPDined on 5/31/2014B & W is a very nice wine bar in Old Irving Park, that serves good fine and some moderately priced wines. Our group sampled the charcuterie and cheese platters, and they were quite good. The salads were also tasty. For larger plates we tried the burger, the mussels, and the carbonara pasta. The burgers were awesome, the mussels were good, but the carbonara was a bit on the bland side. We were too full to try any of the desserts. Service was excellent. Emily was friendly and professional. The wine list is limited, but there are a handful of really nice matches for the menu items. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the driveEatOutNowVIPDined on 5/31/2014Finally got to Bread & Wine on Sat for a 7pm res. What a treat to pull right into their parking lot - obviously works with an early reservation. It was quiet inside, outdoor tables were full. By 8:30 it was almost to capacity. As 1st timers we were given the full explanation of the menu, a reasonably priced house red was ordered along with a large Charcuterie & Cheese platter, Steak Tartare & 48 Hr Beef Belly - all were devoured. The only hiccup was the Kale/Rhubarb salad, while very tasty, had too few interesting ingredients for the $12 charge. We were so stuffed we opted to share 2 main dishes, Hanger Steak & the Fish special were our choices - both excellent. Sweet Goat Cheese Eclairs were a perfect ending to our evening. A solid 10 !Special Features:
- What a great findLkenVIPDined on 5/25/2014Hidden in Old Irving Park, this spots is excellent for those who love good eats. It was worth the 15 minute drive from downtown. Can't wait to go again next time we are in Chicago.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- beautiful eveningswanpegDined on 5/21/2014We were lucky to get outside seating on a beautiful evening. The dining room is attractive but music and acoustics would make conversation difficult. Charcuterie tasty, but seemed small for the price. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and able to explain preparation and flavors well. We tried red snapper special, pheasant, hangar steak and trout - all presented very nicely and with a great flavor profile.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken, my chicken.pepperspray911Dined on 5/13/2014Let me start out by progressing my allegiance and loyalty to this wonderful neighborhood eatery. I adore it to the degree I wax poetic to random people about how they NEED to be there and be there often. This last time.... Ummm.... Was chickenless. Though I've had nearly everything on the menu the chicken was by far my favorite. I liken it to a religious experience. Imagine my surprise that it had been replaced by pheasant for seasonal purposes. Though good, my disappointment (as well as my daughter and wife's) surely sullied my opinion. I will be returning and returning often. This is, by far, my favorite Chicago restaurant for countless reasons. Just bring back my chicken.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 303 reviews are from the Bread & Wine reviews archive.
- Excellent!!FoodieDined on 5/3/2014Bread & Wine was excellent! Great little restaurant with fantastic food & drink menu. Our service was great. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good but really loudmarinIDined on 5/3/2014I've been here twice and would go back. Food seems fresh and healthy and it's good. Nice decor. But really loud. Even when it's not that crowded somehow it can be hard to hear people.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special NightLSKdineVIPDined on 4/26/2014I came here for dinner and it was also our 1 year wedding anniversary. We ordered dessert and they surprised us with a letter "A" candle. Food and service is great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ExperienceSekaDined on 4/25/2014Was a good experience overall. Only reason I didn't give 5 is I need to try more dishes. Waiter was great at reco's for food and esp. wine. Loved the wine. Wasn't too crowded and, amazingly they have parking! The vibe wasn't ultra trendy; was modern, yet comfortable, good vibe overall.Special Features:
- very good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/24/2014I love their gnocchi, and the fish was outstanding. There was a pretty long delay for our main meal when I dined there this time (I have been there several times), despite the restaurant not being terribly crowded. And I was a little surprised to see that my delicious coffee was $8!!!! (yes, I am sure it said that on the menu, but I overlooked it). Still, a very nice dining experience w/ good service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 4/23/2014Excellent charcuterie. Capable service. Small than expected dinner portions. Undercooked meat. Riotously noisy.