Bread & Wine
3734 West Irving Park Rd
Chicago, IL 60641Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bread & Wine
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.breadandwinechicago.com/
- Phone: 7738665266x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday from 5:00pm - 10:00pm
Friday & Saturday Dinner: 5:00pm - 10:30pm (Bar open till Midnight)
Saturday & Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Michael Dean Reynolds
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Gluten-free Menu, Late Night, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wine, Wine Bar
- Cross Street: Ridgeway
- Public Transit: 3 blocks east from the Irving Park blue line. We are on the Irving Park bus route and we are also 3 blocks east of the Irving park Metra stop.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There is a 10 space parking lot directly in front and free street parking.
A word from Bread & Wine
Bread & Wine is a New American restaurant and market.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Bread & Wine reviews from OpenTable diners
86 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (63)fit for foodies (60)notable wine list (45)special occasion (30)romantic (29)great for outdoor dining (26)good for groups (15)great for brunch (14)hot spot (11)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (3)great for lunch (3)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Two out of threeOzzie2ChiTownDined on 9/26/2014Two of our three dishes were great and one was good. Salmon special over the almond risotto was fabulous! Mussels and frites also excellent. The ribbon pasta was good but not great. Would definately recommend and am certainly going back. Within this neighborhood there are no better. Gus, Eric and busser were fabulous. Service was impeccable. Also recommend the Manhattan, excellent mixology! Look forward to going back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/25/2014Service was amazing. The staff was very friendly and knowledgable. The food was delicious. Definitely will go back!Special Features:
- Great Food, Even Better ServiceitrackDined on 9/19/2014The place is attractive, the service is amazing and food great. The staff seem to love their jobs. Parking in a nice added touch as is an affordable corkage.Special Features:
- hummm....mariemacDined on 9/18/2014No real handicap parking. We tried, had to park down the block. The space would not fit a small SUV if there was a car in the first normal spot. Don't believe this is a regulation spot unless you drive a motorcycle. Made a reservation like asked a day ahead of time via Groupon. Table selection was poor. The place is LOUD, however the food is good. Service is slow to start but ends up good if you can order the appetizer. I have to say the best thing on the menu was the salted caramel popcorn panna cotta.
- Rare FindgreatfindDined on 9/13/2014This is a great find for my wife and I. We tried the restaurant based on a Groupon and we're very pleased with the fond. The chef has a great ability to take some ingredients you would not think to combine and male the work very nicely. We definitely plan to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fried Gnochi Squares the amazing!NMR7Dined on 9/12/2014Overall, we enjoyed our experience. What we liked the best: cheese and ham plate and the fried square gnochi! What we liked the least: the burger. Very disappointing and completely raw inside when I had asked for medium well preparation.Special Features:
- Terrific Food / Very LoudOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014My wife and I had a great dinner at Bread and Wine. The menu is interesting, the food is wonderful, and our server was excellent. We arrived at 6:30pm on a Friday night, and only a few tables were occupied. We were enjoying our dinner, but as the restaurant tables, chef's counter and bar filled up, it just got louder and louder and louder. I know this type of high energy scene is popular these days. But my wife and I really enjoy good conversation while we dine. And by 8pm this was impossible. We could not hear each other across the table without shouting. And for us, that does not make a pleasant dining experience. So, great food and service, but way too loud!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yum!WilliamDined on 9/7/2014We love visiting Break & Wine's brunch on Sundays, although we're always shocked it's not as crowded as we think it should be. Could be it's position down Irving Park, but they really offer one of the best brunches in town.Special Features:
- Friday night at Bread and WinesugarnspiceDined on 9/5/2014I like the fact that the ingredients are fresh and mostly locally grown. We used a Groupon which is somewhat necessary as it is a bit expensive for a middle class income.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- georgieDined on 9/3/2014Good and interesting dishes. Entrees could have been a little bigger.Special Features:
- Delicious and unpretentiousOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/31/2014Brunch was fantastic. Lots of good flavors without anything weird or too fancy for no reason. Great aesthetic and relaxed atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst ServiceSallyODined on 8/30/2014It took 10 minutes for our waiter to see us when we sat down. We finally had to ask our hostess if one could come to our table. Our drinks took a long time to come out. Dinner took a long time to come out. You get tired of tapping your fingers on the table. We ordered dessert at the beginning of the meal and it came out a good 25 minutes after they cleared our dinner plates. We couldn't even drink coffee while we waited because we ordered it right after dinner and that took a good 15-20 minutes to get to our table. They even forgot to bring the pasta that I had boxed up back to us. I had to ask for it, to which our waiter said, "Oh yea!" Yeesh, this place wasn't on top of anything. Food was unremarkable. Would NOT recommend.
- just so soOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/29/2014Service was very slow; we waited awhile between every course and it wasn't worth the wait. For better food and much better service, go a bit further down Irving Park to Central and go to the Portage.Special Features:
- ME2reviewVIPDined on 8/29/2014The call they made to me on the day of our reservation to confirm was a nice touch and turned out to be helpful as I needed to change the number of people in our reservation several times. They were most gracious about it. An excellent time was had by all!Special Features:
- Hidden Gem Smashed by GrouponLaurieDined on 8/23/2014I was able to find out about Bread & Wine through a Groupon I received as a gift - 2 small plates, 2 large plates, and 2 desserts - for $59. This almost sounds too good to be true and it kind of was. It was great to sit at the Chef's Table and experience the kitchen, but it was apparent there were too few cooks, too many orders coming in, and not enough servers. I would love to return to Bread and Wine during a less hectic period to enjoy the dining experience. And the Groupon should be updated to be 1 small plate/2 large plates/1 dessert based on the fact that I was stuffed after the appetizers, we ended up taking home the desserts, the kitchen would be better able to handle orders, and that they would still be offering a great deal.Special Features:
- Great Date NightDebbieDined on 8/23/2014When we arrived the place was only half full, but by the time we left it was packed. The drinks were outside the norm, but decent and the food was good. The dim lighting made it romantic for our date night, however there were families there with children as well. Overall a great place to try.Special Features:
- Fabulous Find!spiritsgeekDined on 8/23/2014My husband and I have driven past Bread & Wine multiple times and kept saying "we should go there sometime". With a Groupon popping up for there I decided that Saturday was the prime time to finally try it. I am so bummed we waited this long! It's a lovely little place with attentive (but not too much) staff, a great drink list and absolutely phenomenal food. We will definitely be back. In fact, though it's just a couple weeks away, we plan to go back to celebrate our anniversary there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant surprise on Irving RdCuznbartVIPDined on 8/22/2014Great neighborhood restaurant on w. Irving. Charcuterie is excellent as are the speciality drinks and entrées.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bread and wineMJT26Dined on 8/15/2014Grey experience all around - we will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place to have brunch or dinnermeltdwnforceDined on 8/14/2014My husband and I like to go once a month to the restaurant. I love that it moved into the neighborhood.Special Features:
- Great Group PlacecitygirlVIPDined on 8/13/2014There were 8 of us that met for book club here! Great restaurant. Excellent wine and 1/2 price bottles on Tuesdays!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great findluv2dineDined on 8/2/2014We went to Bread and Wine as a last minute idea. They were able to seat us no problem, and even on the patio. The evening was lovely, and the food excellent. Our sever, Max, was a gem - he and my husband hit it off instantly and he was able to make spot on recommendations that worked out real well. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great neighborhood gem!NancyODined on 7/31/2014Lovely place with parking too. Good food, wine and service -- what more could you ask for? I have been there several times and will be sure to go back again soon.Special Features:
- Great food- terrible ambienceDthcrsVIPDined on 7/25/2014We dined inside, not warm and inviting- concrete floors, hi-end plastic chairs. Not what we expected. The food was awesome- very well prepared and interesting presentations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will returnMJG27Dined on 7/25/2014This is our second time, my husband and I enjoyed both times. The food is present beautifully and taste wonderful. Neighborhood spot with downtown fare.Special Features:
- Great service and interesting menuSalukimomDined on 7/22/2014Our entire party enjoyed dinner immensely. Nice cocktails and wine selections. Loved the chef's selection chacuterie and cheese plate. Pork chop on the prix fix menu and trout were standouts. I noticed the caramel corn panna cotta got raves on prior reviews so had to try it, and it sure didn't disappoint - very tasty! Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exceptional serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I enjoyed dining on the intimate outdoor patio at Bread & Wine on a Saturday night. We shared a salad, then I had the chicken and he ordered the hanger steak. We shared an excellent French wine. Everything was delicious. What really made the evening stand out, however, was the service. From the time we set foot in the restaurant to the time we walked out, we felt welcomed and well cared-for. What a great find not far from our home!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great SpotcesinthecityDined on 7/16/2014Went here for a small birthday dinner to include the boyfriend, my mom & her husband... but the boyfriend ended up planning a small surprise dinner to include the kids, my closest friends and more family. The staff was very accommodating, very sweet about our increased group, helped with suggested apps & menus for the kids, great service, even delivered, cut & candled the cakes that my friends bought for me. I'm glad we had dinner on a weekday, so it wasn't overly packed, but there were still a good amount of diners in there and hopefully weren't bothered by our chatty noise! The food was so delicious, I'm excited to return and try some more. The crispy semolina gnocchi - omg so good! Everyone enjoyed their selected dishes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Find!NicknameVIPDined on 7/16/2014Went mid week early at 6 and sat outside on a beautiful night. Service was really freindly and efficient. Food was really tasty and fresh. Portions were generous. Had some really great wine. We sat there for three and half hours and it seemed to just fly by. When we left the main dining room was full and the whole vibe felt just great. Will definitely be back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lindengirlVIPDined on 7/12/2014My fourth visit did not disappoint. Every dish we ordered was great. The menu is small, but it seems like everything on it is very good. I had the "special" pan seared white fish, with crispy skin which was delicious, accompanied by a surprisingly light yet very flavorful risotto. The burger was great, the papardelle carbonara -- to die for (fresh pasta..) The panna cotta was very good as well! They definitely use quality ingredients, and the chef definitely knows what he/she is doing. if this restaurant were located in, lets say, River North, it would be impossible to get a reservation.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/8/2014Delicious food and a wonderful atmosphere. The salted caramel popcorn panna cotta was one of the best desserts I have ever had. Bread & Wine is on our lists of favorites on Chicago's northside!Special Features:
- What a find!SherrieVIPDined on 7/5/2014We've been here several times and have always been impressed...don't leave without trying the gnocchi, carmel corn panna cotta, chocolate mouse and the list goes on!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bread and WineJohnVIPDined on 7/5/2014Incredible neighborhood gem with terrific food in a very casual space. Parking out front makes it easy, and the staff is always friendly. Its a hp vibe, but even for us preppy 40 somethings, we feel at home. Incredible pickles, and other homemade starters. I would highly recommend this place to anyone.
- GNOchgomomX2VIPDined on 6/28/2014All three of us girls thought this place was ok to good. Our server was very friendly and helpful. The food was ok......we had a good charcuterie plate, a legume app and a few other dishes.....all were ok to good. The trout was very tasty. We had a very tasty bottle of French burgundy.....that was our highlight.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice neighborhood place!MinnieDined on 6/28/2014Definitely try this lovely restaurant. They are pretty innovative and very, very accommodating; in our case, our waitperson was so helpful and thoughtful regarding some food allergies we have. Be sure to try the trout--it is fantastic!Special Features:
- Disappointing, bland, slow kitchendineguyDined on 6/20/2014First off, I want to say that the restaurant has a great ambience, and that our server was great and overall service was friendly and helpful. Our biggest problem of the night was the food itself. We were nine people so there was a lot to compare. The kitchen botched a few orders (we had three burgers cooked three different ways with different requests and they just confused all of it). In addition, their paté that we'd heard so much about was bland. The special soup (mushroom broth) tasted like pickle juice. We had two steaks, one was great, the other was overly chewy. The trout was great, however, as was dessert. Also, we spent about 25 minutes waiting between the clearing of first course and our main course.
- AmazingMargo57VIPDined on 6/19/2014had one of the most amazing meals ever. The combination of tastes were sublime. Wonderful service. Maybe a little to aggressive in refilling water. Otherwise 0 complaints!Special Features:
- Top notch food and wineChicagoNatVIPDined on 6/6/2014Went for the first time and loved the cheese plate. The burger was incredible. Nettle pappardelle pasta was unique and tasty. The service was informed and friendly, and the crowd looked so happy to be enjoying the great dining. Wine list is a gem.Special Features:
- The following 310 reviews are from the Bread & Wine reviews archive.
- Easygoing upscale food & atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/1/2014The restaurant has an open and fresh look - simple, crisp and minimalist. They serve great (Intelligentsia) coffee. Their food is fresh, delicious. They put simple twists on classic dishes to keep things interesting yet familiar at the same time. It's a cool place any time of day, I've enjoyed weekend brunch/lunch, after dinner drinks and dessert. Both of my friends who i was there with liked it, too. They also seem into farm to table ingredients, as our server suggested the seasonal omelette with local veggies to my friend, who really enjoyed it. I had a BLT with a poached egg, and sun-dried (or roasted?) tomato on it. The hash browns tasted like French fries. I'm not complainin'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Once again perfect'ChrisDined on 5/31/2014We love this restaurant - it's a delicious date night! We had the mussels and kale salad, followed by the fish special and hanger steak.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.