Bread and Ink Café
3610 SE Hawthorne Blvd
Portland, OR 97214Neighborhood:
Hawthorne / Belmont
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Bread and Ink Café
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://breadandinkcafe.com/
- Phone: 5032394756
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Saturday: 8:00am - 3:00pm.
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am -3:30pm, Saturday: 12:30pm - 3:30pm.
Sunday Brunch: 8:00am - 3:00pm.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bruce Fishback
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Beer, Cafe, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Bread and Ink Café
Welcome to Bread and Ink Café, a Portland place to dine. Situated in the heart of the Hawthorne district, we have been serving breakfast, lunch and dinner to locals and tourists alike for over 30 years. Our menus are creative and eclectic, focusing on seasonal offerings from the rich products of the Willamette Valley. Bite into our unique and popular Chicken and Liege Waffles, with lemon Parmesan cream and maple syrup, or savor handmade biscuits with our sausage gravy and eggs. Or come for dinner and select from salads with fresh dressings, steaks, risotto, wild-caught salmon and juicy burgers fashioned in-house and served on our buns with homemade mayonnaise, mustard and the ketchup we have been making all these years. Enjoy watching the world go by from our bright, airy dining room while sipping on one of our contemporary top-shelf cocktails. Save room for dessert, the owners" specialty, or for Max's salted caramel ice cream. Dine well and leave happy!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Bread and Ink Café - Best Restaurants in Hawthorne / Belmont ›
Bread and Ink Café reviews from OpenTable diners
29 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (20)great for brunch (19)fit for foodies (16)kid-friendly (12)good for groups (12)great for lunch (11)special occasion (7)romantic (4)great for outdoor dining (2)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)late-night find (1)Show More
- Excellent food and service.OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 9/11/2014I loved the chicken and waffles. I must return to Portland just to try everything on the menu. The sugar pearl waffles were so crispy! The waiter was helpful and kind with great service. What a find!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing specialmarcyDined on 9/4/2014I took my daughter for her birthday lunch here, only because we needed to eat in this neighborhood, and no other decent restaurants serve lunch. I had mentioned when I made reservations that it was her birthday, and again when I came in. Nothing was done to honor that, not even a verbal "Happy Birthday." I had a burger; have had much better burgers at happy hours for half the price. My daughter ordered a salad which was drenched in dressing, and didn't look appetizing at all. Will not return.
- Great FindCookeVIPDined on 8/31/2014We were in Portland from California and just gave it a try. We had the whole family including two kids under 5yrs old and the entire staff was very friendly, accommodating and patient. The food was terrific and the specialty drinks amazing!Special Features:
- Great food and ambienceheckerzugDined on 8/30/2014This place is a gem on Hawthorne! The food is always superb. The African shrimp dish I ordered was really unique and wonderfully flavored. The tails on the shrimp should have been removed if it is to be served as a stew, but otherwise it was great!Special Features:
- Most enjoyablekarenkayakerDined on 8/27/2014We chose Bread and Ink because it would accommodate the variety of palates in our group. Each of us had a delicious dinner. The beef brisket serving was very ample, with enough for leftovers, the fried chicken was great, the salmon delicious and the shared smaller dishes were excellent. We shared the meatballs, curry chicken and beef skewer and enjoyed the variety and the quality. What we also love about Bread and Ink is that it is quiet enough to carry on a conversation at our table, but with enough ambient noise not to be overheard easily. The server was excellent and surprised us with a piece of their signature cake to share among us. A delightful evening, all in all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a wonderful gal!vandyVIPDined on 8/20/2014We so enjoyed chatting with our server, Anika! She was just terrific. She helped us decide which entrees to order and she was enchanting and she was very good at her job! We will return.
- Nice LunchayrictonDined on 8/10/2014Found you on Zagat, it was not wrong. 6 meals, all outstanding. Nice bar, cool locationSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rogerVIPDined on 7/31/2014Food was delicious and generous portions. Service was fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best waiter in Portland!TPDXVIPDined on 6/26/2014Bread and Inc. café is as reliable as ever. Great food, and the service is always impeccable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YumOregoniantravlerDined on 6/22/2014Husband and I met up with another married couple for breakfast. The food is great! I am interested in going again real soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good FoodCheesySwissWifeDined on 6/15/2014This was our first time visiting Bread and Ink Cafe and I was pleasantly surprised. We came on father's day and although it was busy we received great service and our food was great! I wish they would include a wider variety of the waffles they offer to their walk up window tho'.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceaddressforbarbDined on 6/12/2014We brought a group of 15 people to Bread and Ink - most restaurants can barely handle a group this big, but the staff at Bread and Ink were absolute pros. Everyone was extremely happy with their food and the service. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very enjoyable meal, great servicekpeteDined on 6/6/2014This was our first time to Bread and Ink Café. I had the salmon with the cornbread stuffing and it was amazing. The portion was generous, so I had some left over for lunch the next day and it was still very flavorful. Hubby had a burger and he was very pleased with his choice. I also loved the Mojito on the bar menu! The our server was helpful, timely and very pleasant. We definitely will go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brunch for 10KathyDined on 5/31/2014Our party of 10 was graciously served with excellent food. Two of us bought loaves of multigrain bread to take home! French toast with berries was delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Casual and comfyVegansEatOutDined on 5/25/2014We enjoyed our dinner at Bread and Ink. I had a fantastic refreshing citrus salad made with butter lettuce and poppy seed dressing. Yum. My partner's shrimp pasta was good and garlicky. Our friends shared their hummus plate with us as it was quite generous with lots of good veggies.Special Features:
- Delightful placeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2014Their food and service is always great for breakfast.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 14 reviews are from the Bread and Ink Café reviews archive.
- Pleasant place to eat on HawthornecurwenVIPDined on 5/22/2014We ate there early (just after 6pm) so the place was fairly empty. The atmosphere is fairly flat and the check-in lady was a little brusque but the waitress was friendly and helpful. The food was good. My wife had two fairly ordinary starters but they were very well-presented and she really enjoyed them. She also had good things to say about the Negroni. Beer choice is pretty good. We would certainly go again but probably later in the evening, although its a great place to people-watch the Hawthorne passers-by!
- Best wafflesBvroom5Dined on 5/11/2014The waffles and chicken are awesome! I would recommend ordering that over the eggs Benedict, which were good but not as seasoned as I like them.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good breakfastsIheartptldDined on 5/11/2014Bread and Ink has been serving consistently good breakfasts for many years. I'm pleased every time I go. The help is friendly and efficient. We went on Mother's Day and it was very crowded. We had a reservation and waited about 10 minutes to be seated. Considering how busy it was we had a very good dining experience. The food, as usual, was done well. My only complaint is that there is no waiting area to speak of, but since it's in an old building that can't be helped, I suppose.Special Features:
- Great evening!CathyDined on 5/10/2014Our group of 9 were well taken care of. Everyone enjoyed their meals and the service was attentive. Always a dependable and affordable choice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We took friends who were visitingLaurieDined on 4/14/2014We took friends who were visiting from the Napa valley and they loved it.Special Features:
- Girlfriends birthday breakfastClaymatesDined on 4/12/2014My girlfriend and I decided to share a birthday breakfast before heading to the studio where we make ceramics. Bread and ink is a favorite of mine, but new to her. We enjoyed the food, though her black bean? Needed a bit more seasonings. The mimosas were perfect and it was quite empty for a Saturday morning, our waiter was very attentive and provided excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Book Club GatheringCathyDined on 4/8/2014Had a very enjoyable evening at Bread & Ink. Service was perfect, food was great, and we were able to take advantage of a nicely reduced price happy hour menu. One of our group members uses a wheelchair and the staff was extremely helpful making sure her needs were accommodated. There's a reason I keep returning to this gem in the neighborhood!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- B&i reviewMikeDined on 3/29/2014Went to bread and ink on Saturday night, got a reservation for 800 thinking it would be hard to get in on a sat night! We'll it turns out it was spring break and we were the only people in the place! Great service and food as usual!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hawthorne gemvasca67Dined on 3/29/2014Great food and a nice atmosphere. Dinner was wonderful, service was great, and would recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!RamreadsDined on 3/18/2014My book group and I had our monthly dinner at Bread and Ink. The food and service was superb. We couldn't have been happier.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurant!CathyDined on 3/15/2014Neighborhood gem indeed. One of our favorite restaurants in Portland. From a large brunch selection on weekends to a casual burger for lunch or dinner, a tasty steak or seafood pasta, their menu will satisfy anyone at very reasonable prices. Fresh ingredients, excellent service, reasonable wine selection and full bar for cocktails. You can't go wrong with this spot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bread and Ink Still a Great ComboselectivedinerVIPDined on 3/14/2014Consistent environment of tables far enough apart that you can have a good conversation over good wine and food. Fresh ingredients always used. Delicious desserts that have been available since the restaurant opened many years ago are still available among updated ones. The cassatta espresso frosted not too sweet cake is not to be missed. The wait staff is friendly and uncrushed. I can always count on a filling and flavorful meal at Bread and Ink. Bonus: the Waffle Window is located through a window in the west wall.Special Features:
- You gotta goPickyPattieDined on 3/10/2014Found Bread and Ink on Open Table and took a look at the menu. Yum! And it lived up to its promises... Eggs with biscuit and gravy, waffle with strawberry. Try it all. Best of all, GREAT coffee and an attentive server. Will definitely go back. Parking best done before lunch time though.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well DoneHeathbarVIPDined on 3/8/2014First time I have been here for dinner. Breakfast or Brunch have always been tremendous. This visit the food was good but not outstanding. Service was top notch but it was not really busy so that helped. I think I will stick with breakfast here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.