75 Pleasant Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brazorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6034310050x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Phelps Dieck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us bring Brazo to you. We are happy to accommodate your catering needs. No party is too big or small.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for private parties and functions.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Murphy (603) 431-0050x
- Entertainment: Latin night on the firs Friday of every month. Live music starts at 9:00pm
A word from Brazo
What if Portsmouth had a fling with a Latin lover? What if mojo filled the streets, steaming with the heat of Cuban, Spanish and, Latin music. What if you could drink a caipirinha on a Tuesday night? Or salsa with someone you'd never met? Welcome to Brazo where the flavors of Latin and South America are completely at home in northern reaches. Its everything an exotic journey should be right in downtown Portsmouth. Viva Brazo!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Brazo - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Brazo reviews from OpenTable diners
65 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (44)special occasion (36)romantic (29)neighborhood gem (23)hot spot (14)good for groups (14)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (12)late-night find (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/26/2014Bravo to Brazo. Fun atmosphere with delicious and varied plates. I will surely go back again!Special Features:
- Just goodpgrbedDined on 8/22/2014Service was a bit slow. Rib eye steak was a bit tough, tuna was good and dessert was delicious. Too noisy.Special Features:
- Great Latin FlavorlynnskiDined on 8/22/2014Food was excellent. Service was just right...not too little, not too much. Our waiter was knowledgeable in the wines. We will definitely go back. Brazo was well staffed with extra people to serve, clear and check in with customers. We were going to a concert and the timing was perfect, but not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodNicBDined on 8/19/2014We had another excellent experience at Brazo this week. My boyfriend had the special, Red Snapper dish, and I had the Pork Confit - simply amazing. The best part about our experience was our wonderful server, Ryan, who we've had the pleasure of serving us in the past. He's got such an upbeat personality and very knowledgeable of the menus. I highly recommend Brazo and would suggest asking for Ryan if possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/14/2014Great service, fun atmosphere, delicious food wonderful for groups or couplesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent service nice atmosphere. our waiter was outstanding, wish I could remember his name. Cocktails were delicious and the food was amazing! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/20143 of us made an early reservation in order to attend a concert in Prescott Park. Our server, Ryan, could not have been more welcoming, attentive, knowledgeable, and warm! Do not miss the Latin Poutine to share as an appetizer! So heavenly. All of the food was superbly cooked and presented. Portions are large, so bring an appetite! We shared a bottle of Spanish Cava which was so delicious, and made the whole dining experience at Brazo exceptional! It will be our first choice for dinner whenever we are visiting Portsmouth. Thank you so much Ryan and Brazo staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSLCTODined on 8/2/2014I must admit that I typically follow Trip Advisor's input on restaurants in cities I haven't been to and they are spot on. However, Brazo was not a good selection. While the appetizers were tasty and suitable to the theme of the restaurant, the main courses lacked flavour and just didn't taste good at all. We were both sorry that we chose this restaurant and would not return. All other restaurants we tried in Portsmouth were really good and if you want Spanish, suggest to go to Cava which was much better.
- Great menu and unique dishes!wannabechefDined on 7/26/2014Great menu, we all had something different and everyone enjoyed their dinners very much! The guacamole appetizer was great but could have used some extra chips to dip. I had the stuffed poblano pepper which was awesome! One of the best I have ever had and I frequently travel to Mexico where they are very common. Would highly recommend this restaurant and I will be back!Special Features:
- Splendid dinnerYobisDined on 7/19/2014The food and service was delightful. The sangria was very nice as well.Special Features:
- Awesome!Lovefoodalways74Dined on 7/19/2014We went for my husbands 40 th birthday dinner- the food and service were amazing! Would highly recommend and will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceBurritoDined on 7/19/2014Seafood and Chicken Paella was superb. The Halibut special was delicious, as well. Definitely recommend Brazo to those seeking an Excellent Dining ExperienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great!NapleshogVIPDined on 7/15/2014Wifey and I only get to visit this place once a year when on vacation. The mojitos are great, particularly the ginger. Fish tacos and paella are standouts on the menu. We usually eat at the bar because the bartenders do a great job of slinging drinks as well as food. Tuesdays are half price apps. Salmon salad app was large AND tasty.Special Features:
- Brazo, service great food overdoneelizabethDined on 7/15/2014Brazo was a perfectly well appointed and well organized but was noisy for conversation and the food was overdone. The service was top-notch. Our waiter took his job very seriously and he couldn't have been nicer.Special Features:
- Disappointing -CindyDined on 7/11/2014The food and service were excellent. This was our first time dining at Brazo. We were celebrating a special occasion with friends on their 25th anniversary. The restaurant was not overly busy. The noise level was horrendous. We could not carry on a conversation with our friends without hollering. I believe part of the problem were the acoustics. We will not recommend Brazo to anyone that wants to have a conversation with their dinner companion(s) even though the food and service were so good.
- Great choiceLreg27Dined on 6/26/2014Brazo was highly rated on Trip Advisor and after eating there we have to agree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious...donnotDined on 6/23/2014Went here with a party of five and everyone enjoyed their meal. Poutine was excellent, as was my chicken & seafood paella. Would definitely recommend and go back!Special Features:
- A real pleasure!DougDined on 6/20/2014The entire staff was a real pleasure and the food was outstanding: cocktails, appetizers, entrees, dessert, coffee... everything. I especially enjoyed the catch of the day: local haddock on dirty rice. My wife and I bought a "dinner for two" gift card for a friend to check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!fitfoodie310Dined on 6/20/2014After 4 years of living on the seacoast and after hearing wonderful things about Brazo all this time, I finally made it there. When I came home, I told my roommate that I could not remember a meal that good since I ate at Le Bernadin in NYC over a year and a half ago. I had the duck and my date had the paella. We ordered the mushroom salad for an appetizer. Everything was amazingly tasty and the chef gets major bonus points for presentation, especially for the duck entree. Our server was friendly, attentive and assured us that we were making excellent choices for our meals. She couldn't have been more right. Oh, and the drinks were awesome too. I cannot wait to go back, this time with a group of friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceGorettiDined on 6/13/2014The four of us friends decided to try Brazo for something different. glad we did, the food selection was just right, the wine list outstanding. The waitress Amy was fantastic, it was nice to relax with friends, outstanding wine and food and not feel rushed. We all enjoyed it very much, will be back. The four of us always meet in Portsmouth and this will be one place will go to again and again The atmosphere was great as well. Thank you Maria, Bill, Virginia and DanSpecial Features:
- Gem in PortsmouthFood4funDined on 6/7/2014Brazo in downtown Portsmouth is more New American than Brazilian but no matter what you call it, it offers a great dining experience. A tapas variety appetizer prepared us for a delicious dinner. The salmon special was outstanding as was their standard menu hangar steak (Churrasco). Sangria and other delicious cocktails are available. We finished with a house-made sorbet. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good and the bad...OutandAboutDined on 6/7/2014Food was spectacular. Fish taco was to die for; paella was scrumptious, bread rustic and perfect. The tres leche cake was out of this world- truly! The rice pudding was horrible. It was really surprising considering how great everything else was. It tasted like something I'd make for breakfast. And I LOVE rice pudding. On the bad side, it was horribly loud, even though it wasn't even full (it was Sat night). What really dimmed the evening was the bathrooms. I am by no means a neat nut but I used two of the bathrooms (I drank a lot of water) and they were both really a mess. It reflected badly on the place. I always think if the bathrooms look like this, what does the kitchen look like. I'd still go back but I will not run back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Brazo'sJoeyDined on 6/2/2014I had a Limelight coupon for Brazo's & it was a terrific deal. Toasted Coconut Margarita's were excellent to start with. I had the pepper crusted ahi tuna which was phenomenal! Generous portion of tuna left me stuffed. My wife had the seafood paella which she enjoyed though she liked my choice better! Topped it off with a vanilla custard Cuban cake for dessert that was to die for. Great food worth going back for.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/2/2014Entrees were excellent and the tres leeches dessert was one of the best I have ever had. We did not care for empanadas which were deep fried and tiny .Special Features:
- Bravo for Brazo!el7ciervoDined on 5/24/2014Nothing boring about Brazo...We have been consistently pleased with the food, service and ambiance. The food is beautifully presented, the menu changes often, the hosts/hostesses and wait staff are lively, attractive, attentive and very well-trained. There is plenty to attract lovers of all ages, who appreciate well-muddled drinks and Latino food with a flair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningWonderfulDined on 5/24/2014Great night, friendly staff (all around) amazing food!!Special Features:
- Fuz905Dined on 5/17/2014Great food, menu is a little different but not outlandish. Service is outstanding. The room is a bit noisy but not so bad that it is difficult to hold a conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining Experienceel7ciervoDined on 5/17/2014We continue to delight in the intimate setting, cuisine, lovely sense of style (decor & presentation), attentive and well-informed service and total dining experience at Brazo. We have introduced friends to Brazo. Portsmouth has many great places at which to dine, but Brazo is unique. Dining at Brazo evokes warm and wonderful memories of my travels to ARG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!PiaAnitaUlrikaDined on 5/10/2014We had the Yucatan Style Fish Taco and Latin Poutine for appetizers and it was delicious! The entrees were delicious too, we had Fire Grilled Churrasco Marinated skirt steak, Rioja Braised Short Ribs, Peruvian Style Roast Duck and Espresso Grilled Rib eye Steak. We drank the house margarita El Corazon made with blood orange puree, yummy! For dessert we had the brownie with melted marshmallows and ice cream, a crème brulee and a hot alcoholic coffee drink all very good. Great for groups and very accommodating to my 12 year old son, who only wanted steak and fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealvtdinnerDined on 5/8/2014Nice decor and interesting menu. The menu we were given was a little different than what was on the website. Missing was the seafood stew which I was really looking forward to trying. I ended up with a salmon dish which was very good. Really liked the white Sangria and empanadas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer Ribeye!!!KASIIVIPDined on 5/3/2014Great food, ribeye was " off the hook" , as we're the dates wrapped in bacon. Good cocktail list tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favoritezebster43Dined on 5/2/2014You wouldn't normally call a restaurant your favorite after one appetizer and entre apiece but the food was that good. Even if it was just very good instead of outstanding, the staff would make you want to go back over and over. Amy was tremendous. Unfortunately, we live hours away but we will go back. You must try the pork shank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 500 reviews are from the Brazo reviews archive.
- Great as alwaysDoctorHDined on 5/1/2014Thank you for another awesome dining experience. I brought my in-laws and they loved it too! The new peruvian spiced duck dish is Amazing.Special Features:
- Another Good experienceluv2eatDined on 4/25/2014I am not a local but make an attempt to get to Brazo when I can. I enjoy the cocktail selection and can always find something different and interesting. The small plates selection is excellent and the dinner selection is just as good. Tres Leches is a favorite dessert for all!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Off NightMEBBIEDined on 4/18/2014I have eaten at Brazo many times, and it has always been well worth the money. Unfortunately, this last experience was a disaster. I brought 2 people who had never been to Brazo, and I was totally embarrassed that I had made the recommendation. We waited for 45 minutes to receive our entrees. We were not the only ones; everyone was waiting. We did receive the sweet potato fries poutine in a timely manner, and it was very good. Two of us ordered the 'crispy' chicken which was anything but crispy. The purple potato wedges were dry and overcooked. Overall, the food was not hot, not even the soup. The pork shank had pieces of bone in it that were a choking hazard waiting to happen. The tapas appetizer offerings were a joke. Please fix Brazo.
- Magic in the kitchenOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/12/2014As usual Brazo's does not disappoint! Coconut Margaita and Coconut Martini were excellent. Even though it was restaurant week the portions of all courses was generous. Wonderful superior gluten free options. The soup I started with was so delish, and flavor/ texture layered, even though I did't want to over eat, I ate it all. The pork shank I had was beyond excellent in flavor, texture and portion. Fall off the bone melt in your mouth. Coconut sorbet was a perfect combination of sweet and creamy texture with toasted coconut compliment. Magic! Every person who serves at Brazo's is professional, friendly, knowledgable and efficient. The place runs like a smooth dance. One of our most favorite restaurants in Portsmith!Special Features:
- TastyNannyDined on 4/6/2014Good sangria! Food was tasty. The environment was cozy and pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always greatJimBDined on 4/6/2014Brazos is always the first choice when you want something exotic but guaranteed to please any taste. I've had everything on the menu and never had something that wasn't a new taste and/or preparation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great findtshepherd9999Dined on 4/5/2014Nice spot off the main drag in Portsmouth. Great food, nice take on white sangria. Service was good, a bit too "present" at times. Overall highly recommended.I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1st time at Brazo'sfoodsnobDined on 4/5/2014We loved the atmosphere; service was excellent; food was delicious-had the pork confit & they had no problem letting me substitute my starch & veggie. We would definately go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.