75 Pleasant Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brazorestaurant.com/
- Phone: (603) 431-0050
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Phelps Dieck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us bring Brazo to you. We are happy to accommodate your catering needs. No party is too big or small.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for private parties and functions.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Murphy (603) 431-0050x
- Entertainment: Latin night on the firs Friday of every month. Live music starts at 9:00pm
A word from Brazo
What if Portsmouth had a fling with a Latin lover? What if mojo filled the streets, steaming with the heat of Cuban, Spanish and, Latin music. What if you could drink a caipirinha on a Tuesday night? Or salsa with someone you'd never met? Welcome to Brazo where the flavors of Latin and South America are completely at home in northern reaches. Its everything an exotic journey should be right in downtown Portsmouth. Viva Brazo!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Brazo - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Brazo reviews from OpenTable diners
93 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (64)special occasion (43)neighborhood gem (36)romantic (35)good for groups (30)hot spot (22)vibrant bar scene (19)notable wine list (12)late-night find (4)great for lunch (2)Show More
- Creative Latin menuAnOldHandDined on 11/25/2014Handsome setting with an unusual and very tasty Latin American menu. Dates stuffed with Gorgonzola, fish tacos,spicy langoustines,Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Brazo: Great food and Service with a smileStefanieDined on 11/22/2014I have been to Brazo on many occasions. Often I attend with a small group of women, to grab a great meal, between two concert performances. Brazo seats us promptly, provides excellent service, with great food. The booths provide extra sound damping (when busy) and are cozy. The staff is warm, the food is always tasty and well prepared. One can easily make a light dinner out of appetizers. (tried the fish taco this last time) it was delicious. The drinks are terrific, and I love the sangria.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- will go backOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/15/2014We have been here several times. Food is always good, menu is interesting. Great serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service, tasty combinations of flavorsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014We went to dinner at Brazo for my husbands birthday. The food was a tasty combination of flavors. Our waiter, Ryan, was wonderful. They were very accomadating to my husbands celiac needs. Food arrived in a timely manner and we weren't rushed in any way. It was a nice meal out overall.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect TastesLolaVIPDined on 11/14/2014Everything was perfect. Outstanding taste, portion size, service, local food. Noise level a tad more than desired.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding MealOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/8/2014My wife and I went here for our anniversary dinner. I was very pleased with everything we ate. It was during restaurant week, however we decided to order off of the menu. Everything from the appetizer selection, to our main course, to dessert was amazing. Our waitress was very helpful and very thoughtful by offering up dessert "on the house" for our anniversary gift. I would recommend eating here to any of my friends or family. We will make sure to come back - hopefully soon enough! By the way for those who plan on going soon make sure to save the bread on the table for the sauce the mussels are cooked in :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Slow ServiceAbiertorickDined on 11/6/2014The food was very good, and the number of good choices made it difficult to choose. Waitress was friendly and professional, but slow. Finally and disappointingly, they did not charge us the Restaurant Week price, but regular menu even though 2 of us only ordered from the Restaurant Week menu. Expensive...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gluten-free friendlyCaroleDined on 10/31/2014Very creative take on some traditional dishes. Portions aren't huge but delicious. Crusty bread with olive tapenade was offered first and it was a hit. Waitress was nice enough to get us more tapenade to finish bread. It's nice to see menu items labeled Gluten-Free on the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An exceptional dining experiencecapbob838Dined on 10/31/2014Michelle greeted us at the door, and took us to our table. Nancy immediately introduced herself as our server for the evening. Nancy went over the menu and answered our many questions as well as made suggustions which several we took. Michelle visited us throughout the evening ensuring that our water classes were filled, and I mean filled to the brim. The attention we got was as though we were some Celebs. Our four course meals were outstanding. We're headed back very soon.Special Features:
- Outstanding!lovesgreatfoodDined on 10/25/2014Excellent food, service, atmosphere! You need to eat here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Updated menu extremely disappointedonbalanceDined on 10/25/2014This was our 2nd visit to Brazo and it could not have been more of a disappointing contrast from the first which was quite positive. Apparently "the chef" or someone controlling the restaurant recently returned from being out of the country, and decided to make changes to the menu. He removed one of the signature dishes, the Duck, and the specials for the day were the Mako Shark, along with a small number of portions left of another signature dish often on special, the Ribeye. Our server did not tell us there were a limited number of Ribeye's available until others had already ordered all of them but 2, and it was only 530pm. The remaining choices included a salty mojo pork, a gamey lamb shank, and a chewy skirt steak to name a few.Special Features:
- Fabulous eveningPortsLocalDined on 10/24/2014Great food, fantastic service (Luna is wonderful), meal was scrumptious and the wine list was rich. Highly recommend a date night here!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Date Night!JVT713Dined on 10/24/2014My husband and I wanted to try Brazo for quite some time.. and now I am upset we haven't tried it sooner! Their servers were extremely helpful and kind, the food was allergen-friendly, we had the best steak of our lives, and their drink selections were as fabulous as they were delicious. Looking forward to taking friends and family to this restaurant in the future.Special Features:
- Great service!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/22/2014The service- AMAZING. The farmhouse salad and fish taco appetizers- DELICIOUS. Our main entree- the Churrasco was different than how Brazo used to prepare it- not bad but definitely not as good. Miss the sweet potato fries and the original chimichurri. Still, the service made up for whatever we didn't love...
- Great FinddrmacDined on 10/18/2014We chose this restaurant based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was fun and energetic. But the noise level was way too loud. The server was great, once we brought to the attention of the hostess that we were not recognized. The food was fantastic...we had the Mojo pork and the swordfish special, the date appetizers were so good, I can't wait to make them at home. Overall good prices, relatively speaking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2014We had a great time, there were 3 of us. The food was fantastic as always and the waitress was friendly, helpful and very good. We had the poblano pepper one with shrimp and one with chorizo and Fire Grilled Churrasco. The tapas appetizer and Charred Romaine Salad were also very good. I have a gluten allergy and again the waitress was very knowledge and went out of her way to make sure I knew what was gluten free on the tapas plate and had the kitchen separate out what I could not have.Special Features:
- Delicious but a bit slowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014Our food was superb and the staff was courteous but they seemed overwhelmed and we definitely waited longer for our drinks and food than one would expect .Special Features:
- A little disappointingDaniVIPDined on 10/10/2014I usually trust the recommendation on trip advisor so I am not sure why our experience wasn't great. The main issue was that we waited way too long for the food. The tuna and duck were great, the steak was ok but cold, probably because of the extra wait time. Sorry to say this, but yesterday we were at Wellington and it was by far better
- Bar's greatTommyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Food, "mediocre"...it was good, just, good. But the bar goes to great lengths to make everyone comfortable and well served. Definitely order the evening's Tapas appe. Always very good. We had a quiet night, too, on a Wed in October. Their margaritas are very good.Special Features:
- One of my favorite spotsJonathanVIPDined on 10/4/2014Not only is the food really good, but you have to ask for a table with Ryan as your waiter. He is the best!Special Features:
- Great meal as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/1/2014I travel on business to Portsmouth, and make it a point to get to Brazo as often as possibleSpecial Features:
- NYC quality right in PortsmouthwelltraveledDined on 9/26/2014On a visit and decided to try based on positive reviews. They were right! unexpectedly interesting and diverse menu - drinks were delicious and I especially loved the red quinoa stuffed in a pepper and drizzled with a delicious cheese and sauce. Definitely recommend for foodies!Special Features:
- Let downOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Wanted to try Brazo for a long time. The waitress wasn't aware that we had been sat. Another person refilled half filled bottled water with tap. They were very nice and made up for these mistakes by comping first round and not charging for the water bottle. But what it really came down to was the food. The tapas plate for two was an absolute rip off. $22 for one empanada cut in half, two nuggets of chicken, two small artichoke hearts, a hard boiled egg cut in half, and two thin slices of a strawberry with a piece of goat cheese on them. Then the much anticipated skirt steak chimichurri not only had an undetectable amount of sauce on it, it had a charred flavor that overwhelmed the taste. Both our steaks had this. Would not recommend.
- A memorable a meal!Lynn7498Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I returned to Brazo this Saturday evening for a romantic meal for our weekend away from home. It was just as delicious as I'd remembered it was four years ago! The service was perfect, and we weren't rushed at all. Highly recommend Brazo for couples dining or small parties. The round booths are very private - if you reserve a table, see whether you can request one of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!lovesgreatfoodDined on 9/20/2014The food was absolutely fantastic! Drinks were excellent and the staff was wonderful! We enjoyed ourselves immensely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualNhfoodieDined on 9/11/2014Was disappointed - Brazo is normally much better than this. Wasn't overly busy (Thurs pm) but sever seemed distracted or disinterested - barely saw her beyond checking when food was delivered. Food was nothing better than I could have thrown together at home-Paella was dry, overcooked and the bottom was oily. Nothing like in the past or that days's Facebook post/picture. I couldn't see the individual grains of rice-it was a homogenous lump. The chicken was tiny, dry and had a bone in it. Not sure where the saffron was either. Whole dish was wrong (and small?)-felt like it was kitchen sample plate or someone's practice dish. Didn't complain as felt all our food that night was subpar and didn't trust them to do it any better with a take 2.Special Features:
- Steak-haven!AkkimDined on 9/6/2014Both of the appetizers weren't anything special (guacamole and mussels in coconut/curry), but they were good. What really was incredible was the beef entrees we ordered - the skirt steak and the ribeye. Great portions, perfectly cooked and of such a great quality that it really stuck out while fully crushing the meat cravings we were having. The bar was busy and the service was friendly - a great little spot on the outskirts of PortsmouthI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencerback1Dined on 9/5/2014First Latin restaurant experience and it was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good. Service bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014First, the men's room was a mess. Wet floor (slipped on it and nearly hurt myself). Crucial items on menu were not available. Late reservation that could have been earlier. Service people couldn't get out of their fast enough. Cleaning up wS mire important than serving late eaters properly. Best part of dinner was the drink made professionally by a good bartender, who, however, disappeared as soon as she could. Restaurant was listed as high end but the only thing high here was the prices!
- Wonderful find!evilballerinaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was great-Our server (Luna) was very sweet, knowledgable and had perfect timing. The drinks were delicious as was the food-Inventive, creative plates. The decor/fixtures were a bit dated but the service and food made up for it. Wonderful evening and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Perfect service.Saar814VIPDined on 8/30/2014Ordered the Paella and Pork Confit. The food is amazing. We are visiting Portsmouth for Labor Day Weekend from New York City, Brazo can compete with ANY restaurant at home the food is that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd trip not as good as firsttshepherd9999Dined on 8/29/2014I took my wife and daughter to Brazo to celebrate a special occasion, having been there once prior which was exceptional. Sangria was very good, and the bartender made a "cocktail" suitable for my 14 year old. The crab and mango dumplings and latin poutine were very good. Daughter ordered and loved the Pork Confit, wife had the Stuffed Poblano Pepper, and I had the Nicoise salad. The tuna on my salad looked pretty mangled, and was a bland pink rather than the dark red I'd expect, but other than that the food was decent. Server was attentive but lingered a bit more than I prefer. Overall, very good, just didn't live up to my recollections of the first time around. Might have been that it was later on a Friday night too.Special Features:
- Wonderful as always...CarolVIPDined on 8/29/2014Lucky to get a table on a busy Friday night through OpenTable, and food was exceptional as always. Sara, our server, was so helpful and delightful, again, as always. Tapas plate was amazing...and featured wine was wonderful. Never fails to delight...Special Features:
- superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Great food. Everything we ordered was delicious. Great cocktails. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skh2Dined on 8/26/2014Bravo to Brazo. Fun atmosphere with delicious and varied plates. I will surely go back again!Special Features:
- Just goodpgrbedDined on 8/22/2014Service was a bit slow. Rib eye steak was a bit tough, tuna was good and dessert was delicious. Too noisy.Special Features:
- Great Latin FlavorlynnskiDined on 8/22/2014Food was excellent. Service was just right...not too little, not too much. Our waiter was knowledgeable in the wines. We will definitely go back. Brazo was well staffed with extra people to serve, clear and check in with customers. We were going to a concert and the timing was perfect, but not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodNicBDined on 8/19/2014We had another excellent experience at Brazo this week. My boyfriend had the special, Red Snapper dish, and I had the Pork Confit - simply amazing. The best part about our experience was our wonderful server, Ryan, who we've had the pleasure of serving us in the past. He's got such an upbeat personality and very knowledgeable of the menus. I highly recommend Brazo and would suggest asking for Ryan if possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafoodRoseyDined on 8/14/2014Great service, fun atmosphere, delicious food wonderful for groups or couplesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent service nice atmosphere. our waiter was outstanding, wish I could remember his name. Cocktails were delicious and the food was amazing! Highly recommended.Special Features: