75 Pleasant Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brazorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6034310050x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Phelps Dieck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us bring Brazo to you. We are happy to accommodate your catering needs. No party is too big or small.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for private parties and functions.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Murphy (603) 431-0050x
- Entertainment: Latin night on the firs Friday of every month. Live music starts at 9:00pm
A word from Brazo
What if Portsmouth had a fling with a Latin lover? What if mojo filled the streets, steaming with the heat of Cuban, Spanish and, Latin music. What if you could drink a caipirinha on a Tuesday night? Or salsa with someone you'd never met? Welcome to Brazo where the flavors of Latin and South America are completely at home in northern reaches. Its everything an exotic journey should be right in downtown Portsmouth. Viva Brazo!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Brazo - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Brazo reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since May 24, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (51)special occasion (38)romantic (31)neighborhood gem (26)good for groups (18)hot spot (16)vibrant bar scene (12)notable wine list (11)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)kid-friendly (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Steak-haven!AkkimDined on 9/6/2014Both of the appetizers weren't anything special (guacamole and mussels in coconut/curry), but they were good. What really was incredible was the beef entrees we ordered - the skirt steak and the ribeye. Great portions, perfectly cooked and of such a great quality that it really stuck out while fully crushing the meat cravings we were having. The bar was busy and the service was friendly - a great little spot on the outskirts of PortsmouthI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencerback1Dined on 9/5/2014First Latin restaurant experience and it was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good. Service bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014First, the men's room was a mess. Wet floor (slipped on it and nearly hurt myself). Crucial items on menu were not available. Late reservation that could have been earlier. Service people couldn't get out of their fast enough. Cleaning up wS mire important than serving late eaters properly. Best part of dinner was the drink made professionally by a good bartender, who, however, disappeared as soon as she could. Restaurant was listed as high end but the only thing high here was the prices!
- Wonderful find!evilballerinaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was great-Our server (Luna) was very sweet, knowledgable and had perfect timing. The drinks were delicious as was the food-Inventive, creative plates. The decor/fixtures were a bit dated but the service and food made up for it. Wonderful evening and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Perfect service.Saar814Dined on 8/30/2014Ordered the Paella and Pork Confit. The food is amazing. We are visiting Portsmouth for Labor Day Weekend from New York City, Brazo can compete with ANY restaurant at home the food is that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd trip not as good as firsttshepherd9999Dined on 8/29/2014I took my wife and daughter to Brazo to celebrate a special occasion, having been there once prior which was exceptional. Sangria was very good, and the bartender made a "cocktail" suitable for my 14 year old. The crab and mango dumplings and latin poutine were very good. Daughter ordered and loved the Pork Confit, wife had the Stuffed Poblano Pepper, and I had the Nicoise salad. The tuna on my salad looked pretty mangled, and was a bland pink rather than the dark red I'd expect, but other than that the food was decent. Server was attentive but lingered a bit more than I prefer. Overall, very good, just didn't live up to my recollections of the first time around. Might have been that it was later on a Friday night too.Special Features:
- Wonderful as always...CarolVIPDined on 8/29/2014Lucky to get a table on a busy Friday night through OpenTable, and food was exceptional as always. Sara, our server, was so helpful and delightful, again, as always. Tapas plate was amazing...and featured wine was wonderful. Never fails to delight...Special Features:
- superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Great food. Everything we ordered was delicious. Great cocktails. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skh2Dined on 8/26/2014Bravo to Brazo. Fun atmosphere with delicious and varied plates. I will surely go back again!Special Features:
- Just goodpgrbedDined on 8/22/2014Service was a bit slow. Rib eye steak was a bit tough, tuna was good and dessert was delicious. Too noisy.Special Features:
- Great Latin FlavorlynnskiDined on 8/22/2014Food was excellent. Service was just right...not too little, not too much. Our waiter was knowledgeable in the wines. We will definitely go back. Brazo was well staffed with extra people to serve, clear and check in with customers. We were going to a concert and the timing was perfect, but not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodNicBDined on 8/19/2014We had another excellent experience at Brazo this week. My boyfriend had the special, Red Snapper dish, and I had the Pork Confit - simply amazing. The best part about our experience was our wonderful server, Ryan, who we've had the pleasure of serving us in the past. He's got such an upbeat personality and very knowledgeable of the menus. I highly recommend Brazo and would suggest asking for Ryan if possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafoodRoseyDined on 8/14/2014Great service, fun atmosphere, delicious food wonderful for groups or couplesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent service nice atmosphere. our waiter was outstanding, wish I could remember his name. Cocktails were delicious and the food was amazing! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/20143 of us made an early reservation in order to attend a concert in Prescott Park. Our server, Ryan, could not have been more welcoming, attentive, knowledgeable, and warm! Do not miss the Latin Poutine to share as an appetizer! So heavenly. All of the food was superbly cooked and presented. Portions are large, so bring an appetite! We shared a bottle of Spanish Cava which was so delicious, and made the whole dining experience at Brazo exceptional! It will be our first choice for dinner whenever we are visiting Portsmouth. Thank you so much Ryan and Brazo staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSLCTODined on 8/2/2014I must admit that I typically follow Trip Advisor's input on restaurants in cities I haven't been to and they are spot on. However, Brazo was not a good selection. While the appetizers were tasty and suitable to the theme of the restaurant, the main courses lacked flavour and just didn't taste good at all. We were both sorry that we chose this restaurant and would not return. All other restaurants we tried in Portsmouth were really good and if you want Spanish, suggest to go to Cava which was much better.
- Great menu and unique dishes!wannabechefVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great menu, we all had something different and everyone enjoyed their dinners very much! The guacamole appetizer was great but could have used some extra chips to dip. I had the stuffed poblano pepper which was awesome! One of the best I have ever had and I frequently travel to Mexico where they are very common. Would highly recommend this restaurant and I will be back!Special Features:
- Splendid dinnerYobisDined on 7/19/2014The food and service was delightful. The sangria was very nice as well.Special Features:
- Awesome!Lovefoodalways74Dined on 7/19/2014We went for my husbands 40 th birthday dinner- the food and service were amazing! Would highly recommend and will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceBurritoDined on 7/19/2014Seafood and Chicken Paella was superb. The Halibut special was delicious, as well. Definitely recommend Brazo to those seeking an Excellent Dining ExperienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great!NapleshogVIPDined on 7/15/2014Wifey and I only get to visit this place once a year when on vacation. The mojitos are great, particularly the ginger. Fish tacos and paella are standouts on the menu. We usually eat at the bar because the bartenders do a great job of slinging drinks as well as food. Tuesdays are half price apps. Salmon salad app was large AND tasty.Special Features:
- Brazo, service great food overdoneelizabethDined on 7/15/2014Brazo was a perfectly well appointed and well organized but was noisy for conversation and the food was overdone. The service was top-notch. Our waiter took his job very seriously and he couldn't have been nicer.Special Features:
- Disappointing -CindyDined on 7/11/2014The food and service were excellent. This was our first time dining at Brazo. We were celebrating a special occasion with friends on their 25th anniversary. The restaurant was not overly busy. The noise level was horrendous. We could not carry on a conversation with our friends without hollering. I believe part of the problem were the acoustics. We will not recommend Brazo to anyone that wants to have a conversation with their dinner companion(s) even though the food and service were so good.
- Great choiceLreg27Dined on 6/26/2014Brazo was highly rated on Trip Advisor and after eating there we have to agree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious...donnotDined on 6/23/2014Went here with a party of five and everyone enjoyed their meal. Poutine was excellent, as was my chicken & seafood paella. Would definitely recommend and go back!Special Features:
- A real pleasure!DougDined on 6/20/2014The entire staff was a real pleasure and the food was outstanding: cocktails, appetizers, entrees, dessert, coffee... everything. I especially enjoyed the catch of the day: local haddock on dirty rice. My wife and I bought a "dinner for two" gift card for a friend to check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!fitfoodie310Dined on 6/20/2014After 4 years of living on the seacoast and after hearing wonderful things about Brazo all this time, I finally made it there. When I came home, I told my roommate that I could not remember a meal that good since I ate at Le Bernadin in NYC over a year and a half ago. I had the duck and my date had the paella. We ordered the mushroom salad for an appetizer. Everything was amazingly tasty and the chef gets major bonus points for presentation, especially for the duck entree. Our server was friendly, attentive and assured us that we were making excellent choices for our meals. She couldn't have been more right. Oh, and the drinks were awesome too. I cannot wait to go back, this time with a group of friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceGorettiDined on 6/13/2014The four of us friends decided to try Brazo for something different. glad we did, the food selection was just right, the wine list outstanding. The waitress Amy was fantastic, it was nice to relax with friends, outstanding wine and food and not feel rushed. We all enjoyed it very much, will be back. The four of us always meet in Portsmouth and this will be one place will go to again and again The atmosphere was great as well. Thank you Maria, Bill, Virginia and DanSpecial Features:
- Gem in PortsmouthFood4funDined on 6/7/2014Brazo in downtown Portsmouth is more New American than Brazilian but no matter what you call it, it offers a great dining experience. A tapas variety appetizer prepared us for a delicious dinner. The salmon special was outstanding as was their standard menu hangar steak (Churrasco). Sangria and other delicious cocktails are available. We finished with a house-made sorbet. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The good and the bad...OutandAboutDined on 6/7/2014Food was spectacular. Fish taco was to die for; paella was scrumptious, bread rustic and perfect. The tres leche cake was out of this world- truly! The rice pudding was horrible. It was really surprising considering how great everything else was. It tasted like something I'd make for breakfast. And I LOVE rice pudding. On the bad side, it was horribly loud, even though it wasn't even full (it was Sat night). What really dimmed the evening was the bathrooms. I am by no means a neat nut but I used two of the bathrooms (I drank a lot of water) and they were both really a mess. It reflected badly on the place. I always think if the bathrooms look like this, what does the kitchen look like. I'd still go back but I will not run back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner at Brazo'sJoeyDined on 6/2/2014I had a Limelight coupon for Brazo's & it was a terrific deal. Toasted Coconut Margarita's were excellent to start with. I had the pepper crusted ahi tuna which was phenomenal! Generous portion of tuna left me stuffed. My wife had the seafood paella which she enjoyed though she liked my choice better! Topped it off with a vanilla custard Cuban cake for dessert that was to die for. Great food worth going back for.Special Features:
- Excellent food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 6/2/2014Entrees were excellent and the tres leeches dessert was one of the best I have ever had. We did not care for empanadas which were deep fried and tiny .Special Features:
- Bravo for Brazo!el7ciervoDined on 5/24/2014Nothing boring about Brazo...We have been consistently pleased with the food, service and ambiance. The food is beautifully presented, the menu changes often, the hosts/hostesses and wait staff are lively, attractive, attentive and very well-trained. There is plenty to attract lovers of all ages, who appreciate well-muddled drinks and Latino food with a flair.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A wonderful eveningWonderfulDined on 5/24/2014Great night, friendly staff (all around) amazing food!!Special Features:
- The following 506 reviews are from the Brazo reviews archive.
- Fuz905Dined on 5/17/2014Great food, menu is a little different but not outlandish. Service is outstanding. The room is a bit noisy but not so bad that it is difficult to hold a conversation.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect Dining Experienceel7ciervoDined on 5/17/2014We continue to delight in the intimate setting, cuisine, lovely sense of style (decor & presentation), attentive and well-informed service and total dining experience at Brazo. We have introduced friends to Brazo. Portsmouth has many great places at which to dine, but Brazo is unique. Dining at Brazo evokes warm and wonderful memories of my travels to ARG.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Loved it!PiaAnitaUlrikaDined on 5/10/2014We had the Yucatan Style Fish Taco and Latin Poutine for appetizers and it was delicious! The entrees were delicious too, we had Fire Grilled Churrasco Marinated skirt steak, Rioja Braised Short Ribs, Peruvian Style Roast Duck and Espresso Grilled Rib eye Steak. We drank the house margarita El Corazon made with blood orange puree, yummy! For dessert we had the brownie with melted marshmallows and ice cream, a crème brulee and a hot alcoholic coffee drink all very good. Great for groups and very accommodating to my 12 year old son, who only wanted steak and fries.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable mealvtdinnerDined on 5/8/2014Nice decor and interesting menu. The menu we were given was a little different than what was on the website. Missing was the seafood stew which I was really looking forward to trying. I ended up with a salmon dish which was very good. Really liked the white Sangria and empanadas.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer Ribeye!!!KASIIVIPDined on 5/3/2014Great food, ribeye was " off the hook" , as we're the dates wrapped in bacon. Good cocktail list tooSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our new favoritezebster43Dined on 5/2/2014You wouldn't normally call a restaurant your favorite after one appetizer and entre apiece but the food was that good. Even if it was just very good instead of outstanding, the staff would make you want to go back over and over. Amy was tremendous. Unfortunately, we live hours away but we will go back. You must try the pork shank.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.