75 Pleasant Street
Portsmouth, NH 03801Neighborhood:
Latin AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brazorestaurant.com/
- Phone: 6034310050x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday & Tuesday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Wednesday & Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Latin American
- Executive Chef: Phelps Dieck
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Let us bring Brazo to you. We are happy to accommodate your catering needs. No party is too big or small.
- Private Party Facilities: The restaurant is available for private parties and functions.
- Private Party Contact: Tim Murphy (603) 431-0050x
- Entertainment: Latin night on the firs Friday of every month. Live music starts at 9:00pm
A word from Brazo
What if Portsmouth had a fling with a Latin lover? What if mojo filled the streets, steaming with the heat of Cuban, Spanish and, Latin music. What if you could drink a caipirinha on a Tuesday night? Or salsa with someone you'd never met? Welcome to Brazo where the flavors of Latin and South America are completely at home in northern reaches. Its everything an exotic journey should be right in downtown Portsmouth. Viva Brazo!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerFit for Foodies
Brazo - Best Restaurants in Portsmouth ›
Brazo reviews from OpenTable diners
79 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (54)special occasion (35)neighborhood gem (28)romantic (26)good for groups (20)hot spot (18)vibrant bar scene (14)notable wine list (11)late-night find (3)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great FinddrmacDined on 10/18/2014We chose this restaurant based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was fun and energetic. But the noise level was way too loud. The server was great, once we brought to the attention of the hostess that we were not recognized. The food was fantastic...we had the Mojo pork and the swordfish special, the date appetizers were so good, I can't wait to make them at home. Overall good prices, relatively speaking.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/13/2014We had a great time, there were 3 of us. The food was fantastic as always and the waitress was friendly, helpful and very good. We had the poblano pepper one with shrimp and one with chorizo and Fire Grilled Churrasco. The tapas appetizer and Charred Romaine Salad were also very good. I have a gluten allergy and again the waitress was very knowledge and went out of her way to make sure I knew what was gluten free on the tapas plate and had the kitchen separate out what I could not have.Special Features:
- Delicious but a bit slowOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/13/2014Our food was superb and the staff was courteous but they seemed overwhelmed and we definitely waited longer for our drinks and food than one would expect .Special Features:
- A little disappointingDaniVIPDined on 10/10/2014I usually trust the recommendation on trip advisor so I am not sure why our experience wasn't great. The main issue was that we waited way too long for the food. The tuna and duck were great, the steak was ok but cold, probably because of the extra wait time. Sorry to say this, but yesterday we were at Wellington and it was by far better
- Bar's greatTommyVIPDined on 10/8/2014Food, "mediocre"...it was good, just, good. But the bar goes to great lengths to make everyone comfortable and well served. Definitely order the evening's Tapas appe. Always very good. We had a quiet night, too, on a Wed in October. Their margaritas are very good.Special Features:
- One of my favorite spotsJonathanVIPDined on 10/4/2014Not only is the food really good, but you have to ask for a table with Ryan as your waiter. He is the best!Special Features:
- Great meal as usualOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 10/1/2014I travel on business to Portsmouth, and make it a point to get to Brazo as often as possibleSpecial Features:
- NYC quality right in PortsmouthwelltraveledDined on 9/26/2014On a visit and decided to try based on positive reviews. They were right! unexpectedly interesting and diverse menu - drinks were delicious and I especially loved the red quinoa stuffed in a pepper and drizzled with a delicious cheese and sauce. Definitely recommend for foodies!Special Features:
- Let downOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/20/2014Wanted to try Brazo for a long time. The waitress wasn't aware that we had been sat. Another person refilled half filled bottled water with tap. They were very nice and made up for these mistakes by comping first round and not charging for the water bottle. But what it really came down to was the food. The tapas plate for two was an absolute rip off. $22 for one empanada cut in half, two nuggets of chicken, two small artichoke hearts, a hard boiled egg cut in half, and two thin slices of a strawberry with a piece of goat cheese on them. Then the much anticipated skirt steak chimichurri not only had an undetectable amount of sauce on it, it had a charred flavor that overwhelmed the taste. Both our steaks had this. Would not recommend.
- A memorable a meal!Lynn7498Dined on 9/20/2014My husband and I returned to Brazo this Saturday evening for a romantic meal for our weekend away from home. It was just as delicious as I'd remembered it was four years ago! The service was perfect, and we weren't rushed at all. Highly recommend Brazo for couples dining or small parties. The round booths are very private - if you reserve a table, see whether you can request one of them!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!lovesgreatfoodDined on 9/20/2014The food was absolutely fantastic! Drinks were excellent and the staff was wonderful! We enjoyed ourselves immensely!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not as good as usualNhfoodieDined on 9/11/2014Was disappointed - Brazo is normally much better than this. Wasn't overly busy (Thurs pm) but sever seemed distracted or disinterested - barely saw her beyond checking when food was delivered. Food was nothing better than I could have thrown together at home-Paella was dry, overcooked and the bottom was oily. Nothing like in the past or that days's Facebook post/picture. I couldn't see the individual grains of rice-it was a homogenous lump. The chicken was tiny, dry and had a bone in it. Not sure where the saffron was either. Whole dish was wrong (and small?)-felt like it was kitchen sample plate or someone's practice dish. Didn't complain as felt all our food that night was subpar and didn't trust them to do it any better with a take 2.Special Features:
- Steak-haven!AkkimDined on 9/6/2014Both of the appetizers weren't anything special (guacamole and mussels in coconut/curry), but they were good. What really was incredible was the beef entrees we ordered - the skirt steak and the ribeye. Great portions, perfectly cooked and of such a great quality that it really stuck out while fully crushing the meat cravings we were having. The bar was busy and the service was friendly - a great little spot on the outskirts of PortsmouthI would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencerback1Dined on 9/5/2014First Latin restaurant experience and it was a delight.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food good. Service bad.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014First, the men's room was a mess. Wet floor (slipped on it and nearly hurt myself). Crucial items on menu were not available. Late reservation that could have been earlier. Service people couldn't get out of their fast enough. Cleaning up wS mire important than serving late eaters properly. Best part of dinner was the drink made professionally by a good bartender, who, however, disappeared as soon as she could. Restaurant was listed as high end but the only thing high here was the prices!
- Wonderful find!evilballerinaVIPDined on 8/30/2014Everything was great-Our server (Luna) was very sweet, knowledgable and had perfect timing. The drinks were delicious as was the food-Inventive, creative plates. The decor/fixtures were a bit dated but the service and food made up for it. Wonderful evening and meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing food. Perfect service.Saar814Dined on 8/30/2014Ordered the Paella and Pork Confit. The food is amazing. We are visiting Portsmouth for Labor Day Weekend from New York City, Brazo can compete with ANY restaurant at home the food is that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 2nd trip not as good as firsttshepherd9999Dined on 8/29/2014I took my wife and daughter to Brazo to celebrate a special occasion, having been there once prior which was exceptional. Sangria was very good, and the bartender made a "cocktail" suitable for my 14 year old. The crab and mango dumplings and latin poutine were very good. Daughter ordered and loved the Pork Confit, wife had the Stuffed Poblano Pepper, and I had the Nicoise salad. The tuna on my salad looked pretty mangled, and was a bland pink rather than the dark red I'd expect, but other than that the food was decent. Server was attentive but lingered a bit more than I prefer. Overall, very good, just didn't live up to my recollections of the first time around. Might have been that it was later on a Friday night too.Special Features:
- Wonderful as always...CarolVIPDined on 8/29/2014Lucky to get a table on a busy Friday night through OpenTable, and food was exceptional as always. Sara, our server, was so helpful and delightful, again, as always. Tapas plate was amazing...and featured wine was wonderful. Never fails to delight...Special Features:
- superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/28/2014Great food. Everything we ordered was delicious. Great cocktails. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- skh2Dined on 8/26/2014Bravo to Brazo. Fun atmosphere with delicious and varied plates. I will surely go back again!Special Features:
- Just goodpgrbedDined on 8/22/2014Service was a bit slow. Rib eye steak was a bit tough, tuna was good and dessert was delicious. Too noisy.Special Features:
- Great Latin FlavorlynnskiDined on 8/22/2014Food was excellent. Service was just right...not too little, not too much. Our waiter was knowledgeable in the wines. We will definitely go back. Brazo was well staffed with extra people to serve, clear and check in with customers. We were going to a concert and the timing was perfect, but not rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and FoodNicBDined on 8/19/2014We had another excellent experience at Brazo this week. My boyfriend had the special, Red Snapper dish, and I had the Pork Confit - simply amazing. The best part about our experience was our wonderful server, Ryan, who we've had the pleasure of serving us in the past. He's got such an upbeat personality and very knowledgeable of the menus. I highly recommend Brazo and would suggest asking for Ryan if possible!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent seafoodRoseyDined on 8/14/2014Great service, fun atmosphere, delicious food wonderful for groups or couplesSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/9/2014Excellent service nice atmosphere. our waiter was outstanding, wish I could remember his name. Cocktails were delicious and the food was amazing! Highly recommended.Special Features:
- SuperbOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/6/20143 of us made an early reservation in order to attend a concert in Prescott Park. Our server, Ryan, could not have been more welcoming, attentive, knowledgeable, and warm! Do not miss the Latin Poutine to share as an appetizer! So heavenly. All of the food was superbly cooked and presented. Portions are large, so bring an appetite! We shared a bottle of Spanish Cava which was so delicious, and made the whole dining experience at Brazo exceptional! It will be our first choice for dinner whenever we are visiting Portsmouth. Thank you so much Ryan and Brazo staff!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingSLCTODined on 8/2/2014I must admit that I typically follow Trip Advisor's input on restaurants in cities I haven't been to and they are spot on. However, Brazo was not a good selection. While the appetizers were tasty and suitable to the theme of the restaurant, the main courses lacked flavour and just didn't taste good at all. We were both sorry that we chose this restaurant and would not return. All other restaurants we tried in Portsmouth were really good and if you want Spanish, suggest to go to Cava which was much better.
- Great menu and unique dishes!wannabechefVIPDined on 7/26/2014Great menu, we all had something different and everyone enjoyed their dinners very much! The guacamole appetizer was great but could have used some extra chips to dip. I had the stuffed poblano pepper which was awesome! One of the best I have ever had and I frequently travel to Mexico where they are very common. Would highly recommend this restaurant and I will be back!Special Features:
- Splendid dinnerYobisDined on 7/19/2014The food and service was delightful. The sangria was very nice as well.Special Features:
- Awesome!Lovefoodalways74Dined on 7/19/2014We went for my husbands 40 th birthday dinner- the food and service were amazing! Would highly recommend and will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceBurritoDined on 7/19/2014Seafood and Chicken Paella was superb. The Halibut special was delicious, as well. Definitely recommend Brazo to those seeking an Excellent Dining ExperienceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always great!NapleshogVIPDined on 7/15/2014Wifey and I only get to visit this place once a year when on vacation. The mojitos are great, particularly the ginger. Fish tacos and paella are standouts on the menu. We usually eat at the bar because the bartenders do a great job of slinging drinks as well as food. Tuesdays are half price apps. Salmon salad app was large AND tasty.Special Features:
- Brazo, service great food overdoneelizabethDined on 7/15/2014Brazo was a perfectly well appointed and well organized but was noisy for conversation and the food was overdone. The service was top-notch. Our waiter took his job very seriously and he couldn't have been nicer.Special Features:
- Disappointing -CindyDined on 7/11/2014The food and service were excellent. This was our first time dining at Brazo. We were celebrating a special occasion with friends on their 25th anniversary. The restaurant was not overly busy. The noise level was horrendous. We could not carry on a conversation with our friends without hollering. I believe part of the problem were the acoustics. We will not recommend Brazo to anyone that wants to have a conversation with their dinner companion(s) even though the food and service were so good.
- Great choiceLreg27Dined on 6/26/2014Brazo was highly rated on Trip Advisor and after eating there we have to agree.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious...donnotDined on 6/23/2014Went here with a party of five and everyone enjoyed their meal. Poutine was excellent, as was my chicken & seafood paella. Would definitely recommend and go back!Special Features:
- The following 515 reviews are from the Brazo reviews archive.
- A real pleasure!DougDined on 6/20/2014The entire staff was a real pleasure and the food was outstanding: cocktails, appetizers, entrees, dessert, coffee... everything. I especially enjoyed the catch of the day: local haddock on dirty rice. My wife and I bought a "dinner for two" gift card for a friend to check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!fitfoodie310Dined on 6/20/2014After 4 years of living on the seacoast and after hearing wonderful things about Brazo all this time, I finally made it there. When I came home, I told my roommate that I could not remember a meal that good since I ate at Le Bernadin in NYC over a year and a half ago. I had the duck and my date had the paella. We ordered the mushroom salad for an appetizer. Everything was amazingly tasty and the chef gets major bonus points for presentation, especially for the duck entree. Our server was friendly, attentive and assured us that we were making excellent choices for our meals. She couldn't have been more right. Oh, and the drinks were awesome too. I cannot wait to go back, this time with a group of friends!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding food and serviceGorettiDined on 6/13/2014The four of us friends decided to try Brazo for something different. glad we did, the food selection was just right, the wine list outstanding. The waitress Amy was fantastic, it was nice to relax with friends, outstanding wine and food and not feel rushed. We all enjoyed it very much, will be back. The four of us always meet in Portsmouth and this will be one place will go to again and again The atmosphere was great as well. Thank you Maria, Bill, Virginia and DanSpecial Features: