Bravo! Restaurant and Cafe
5402 Portage Rd
Kalamazoo, MI 49002Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
Bravo! Restaurant and Cafe
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://bravokalamazoo.com/
- Phone: 2693447700
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm;
Brunch: Sunday: 10:30am - 2:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Shawn Hagen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Groups as small as eight or as large as sixty five. Our private banquet rooms offer the same atmosphere and service as our main dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Terry Hagen 2693447700
A word from Bravo! Restaurant and Cafe
Bravo! specializes in fresh, Tuscan inspired cuisine prepared by award winning chef/owner Shawn Hagen. Guests are welcomed to our comfortable fine dining atmosphere by maitre d'/owner Terry Hagen and the exceptional service staff. Since its opening in 1987, Bravo! has been recognized for its unique food, comprehensive wine list, private dining offerings, handcrafted beer and personalized service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Bravo! Restaurant and Cafe - Best Restaurants in Kalamazoo ›
Bravo! Restaurant and Cafe reviews from OpenTable diners
43 reviews since June 28, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (32)fit for foodies (18)good for groups (16)romantic (16)great for brunch (14)neighborhood gem (14)notable wine list (14)great for lunch (10)great for outdoor dining (4)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (3)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014We ordered the tenderloin, medium cooked and the Pepper steak, cooked medium well and the Tenderloin was medium rare and the Pepper steak was well done, but flavor was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Table for 12?lindazDined on 10/17/2014The service for our rather large group was very good - and you addressed the needs of the 2 kids (3 and 5) very well!! The fanily had a great time together!! We especially appreciated that we were seated in a squre - not a long line -- much easier to visit!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great BrunchAlwaysUpDined on 10/12/2014It had been sometime since we have enjoyed the Bravo! Brunch. It was as grand as we remembered.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome place to dine!Dine2smileDined on 10/8/2014This is by no means my first visit nor will it be the last!!! I am always blown away by the food and service at Bravo!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine dining at it's best!kzoodianeDined on 10/4/2014I recently had dinner with friends at Bravo's. It was such a nice dinner. It reminded me of what it used to be like to go out for a nice dinner. Excellent service, delicious food and drinks. I definitely will be going back. I'd like to try there pizza and beer.Special Features:
- PorscheDined on 10/3/2014Food is awesome and our server was top notch. Interior needs to be updated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good But Pricysfb24Dined on 9/20/2014We were there for dinner with an out of town guest. We were in no hurry but the service was slow and the restaurant was not that busy. My wife and our guest ordered the Scollop special and said it was good but also ran into what seemed small pieces of shell. I had the Chicken Marsala and it was good. All our dishes were served with Corn and Aspargras Risotto which was outstanding. Over all it was a good experience but not outstanding or a meal to remember.Special Features:
- ServerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014Our server was incredible. We were there to celebrate a birthday of my mothers diseased husband. She is 93 and really enjoyed being at their favorite restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday CelebrationBirthdayDined on 9/6/2014We were a group of eight for a birthday celebration. It was an excellent evening. More than one person remarked that it was the best dinner they had had in years, and those of us who had the dinner special were very pleased. Our server was attentive without rushing us, and we had a great time. Thank you!Special Features:
- Bravo to BravoBravoDined on 8/23/2014what a nice evening. dinner was awesome. the food was excellent. I do think the tables are too close together though.Special Features:
- Overpriced foodSlreedDined on 8/16/2014The food was not worth what we paid! I have had better food at a much better price . 70.00 meal for two is alittle over priced! I was not impressed!Special Features:
- Very delicious!MagsDined on 8/14/2014Had dinner there on a Thursday evening with work colleagues. The interior is very pleasant. Enjoyed a nut brown beer. The duck breast was absolutely delicious. Our waitress was pleasant and great customer service. The whole package was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- anniversary dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Food was great. Staff was friendly. Many wines and beers to choose from. Atmosphere was romantic yet casual.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best in Kalamazoo area!MargaretDined on 8/7/2014Bravo is a great place for brunch, lunch or any special occasion. The service is outstanding...they really make you feel special. The food is also excellent, and they keep the menu strong with favorites and new offerings regularly. Bravo is our go-to whenever we are dining with family or friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okaydlz10168Dined on 8/3/2014Service was very good. Presentation of food was average and serving size was small (except for pizza). Wine list was acceptable, but we left disappointed and hungry.Special Features:
- Never disappointsBhawks13VIPDined on 7/30/2014Had a business lunch that once again proved that Bravo is a model of consistency but that it can occasionally surprise. Good service as always. I had a chilled asparagus soup (yum) and Tuscan chicken with kale and cannelloni beans. Great little combo (new on the menu) and delist but both the beans and the kale could've been cooked down a bit more. Nevertheless, kudos for trying something different. Definitely would have it again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner with FriendsKalamazooHappyDiningDined on 7/26/2014Start with wonderful service, great wine and cocktails, add a wonderful selection of delicious salads/soups and entrees, and end with incredible desserts and coffee-all makes for a tremendous dining experience for us as locals and our out of town friends used to fine dining in Chicago. They were suitably impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014The food was amazing but the service wasn't polished enough for the prices they charge.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local FavoriteExperiencedDinerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Bravo! has always been one of our favorite restaurants in the Kalamazoo area. This evening was no exception as w enjoyed a relaxing meal with friends. Every food ordered was well prepared. The burrata salad was magnificent and exceptional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Heavenly brunchTheLaughingDragonDined on 6/29/2014I've been to Bravo many times for dinner and lunch, but yesterday was the first time I had visited for brunch. It was absolutely sensational -- incredible variety and every item was delectable. And a free mimosa, too? A dream come true.Special Features:
- The following 128 reviews are from the Bravo! Restaurant and Cafe reviews archive.
- Sunday brunchFoodEditorDined on 6/22/2014Having heard rave reviews from friends for years, our expectations were perhaps excessively high, leading us to feel that the food was good but not outstanding in flavor and quality. Its abundance and variety were great, it must be confessed, but my wife and I felt that my (and her) own tilapia done at home was superior to yours; her cinnamon rolls are considerably better than yours; the quality of the beef served at Sunday brunches we have had with friends at Wyndham without question beats your beef. In conclusion, we thought the buffet was good, but less impressive than we had expected.Special Features:
- CharlieDined on 6/22/2014I go here for brunch now and then. The food is always good as well as hot. Selection right up there with the best of Sunday brunches.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014Excellent service. Wonderful food and great ambiance. It was a perfect place to celebrate our anniversary. Thank you to the staff and chefs for making it a memorable night.Special Features:
- Great Service and Food!MarikrautDined on 5/15/2014Bravo has been a favorite of ours for many years. Many family anniversaries, graduations, retirements and birthdays have been celebrated at Bravo over our 25 year life in Portage. The food is always so good and they have a good choice of wines.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!ChristiBDined on 5/10/2014We went to Bravo! after my son's graduation. The whole family loved the food. The gnocchi and duck breast were special favorites. The only thing we didn't find exceptional was the crab cake. Otherwise, the meal was perfect! Our server was great and gave good service in spite of being busy with prom groups.Special Features:
- Enjoyable brunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/27/2014One of the few local places I am aware of that serves brunch. Great opportunity to catch up with family over a leisurely sunday brunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bravo, Bravo!AlwaysAZODined on 4/27/2014Our family enjoyed celebrating my Dad's 86th birthday with a Bravo Brunch! I appreciated the online reservation service! I wrote Monday and everything was ready for our party of 13 when we arrived Sunday. I'd forgotten they had a fire place, so it was a special treat to have a table by the fire! We were greeted by a beautiful garden of bright yellow Daffodils as we entered the parking lot and friendly faces greeted us and helped us with the door. They easily handled our large group with all age levels. Our service was attentive and friendly. Their food was delicious and included a wide variety of selections! I have fond memories of a lovely rehearsal lunch at Bravo's 5 1/2 years earlier for our daughter and her fiance, now husband.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cool JazzOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/27/2014Loved this venue for a special night of Jazz from the WMU Jazz Orchestra. Limited menu was just okay, hostess was confused the night before on when the doors opened to the public, but the music was great. Planning on another night of Funk soon.Special Features:
- great forgotten gemOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014I've only eaten here once before and was pleased to see the food quality remained high and service was exceptional. I was surprised that they were not busy even though it was graduation weekend for WMU.Special Features:
- Too expensive, not much of a valueItalianLoverDined on 4/26/2014The food was a major disappointment. Very high priced for what you received. The Prime rib was very fatty, my wife and son had to cut around the fat everywhere on the cuts they received. The Lobster Ravioli has only small pieces of lobster but was very expensive. We came here after reading reviews and were expecting more. Our reservation was for lunch after my son's college graduation. The white fish was good though this could not make up for the price we paid for below average food at premium prices.
- WonderfulGotanDined on 4/2/2014I live in California now, but I always come back to Bravo! when I am in Kalamazoo. I love the food, but am also a fan of their beer, which they brew themselves and is available only at the restaurant.Special Features:
- Canada Team Meet & GreetCherriDined on 4/1/2014Bravo was chosen for our very rare get together with some Canada team mates. The food was wonderful, and the atmosphere was very relaxing, and conducive to visiting while we ate. I would highly recommend Bravo to others. It's a must try!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great dishes in an intimate settingLarryDined on 3/17/2014We both had seafood dishes (salmon and white fish). The salmon had a spicy seasoning, but not overpowering. Portions were a nice size not too much, although my wife needed a 'people bag.' Service was polite and attentive. Good wine list. We tried a French red blend that was full bodied, dry and was added to our list for tasting again. Good overall experience and would recommend for a special occasion or a romantic evening.Special Features:
- A great restaurant -- i ALWAYSJumboDined on 3/13/2014A great restaurant -- i ALWAYS DINE HERE WHEN i WANT TO IMPRESS CLIENTS!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and flexibilityLisaDined on 3/6/2014Great food and flexibility to add one more person to our big group. Great service as well.Special Features:
- Always a good experience!cr99Dined on 3/4/2014We have dined at Bravo many times and have always had a good experience! Service is always attentive and the meals well prepared. The wine selection is good and covers Michigan regional as well as California wines. Mushroom soup is notably excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Date nightmanicmummaDined on 2/17/2014My husband and I are parents to 4 kids and were able to squeeze a date night in around his work schedule. We chose this restaurant based on internet reviews and were NOT disappointed. We started with cocktails (unique and delicious) and the artichoke mousse (fabulous texture, gorgeous plating, served inside a raw red onion). He had a roasted red pepper pasta with chicken and was thrilled. I had the chicken marsala with roasted corn risotto. the chicken was very good, but the risotto stole that plate. it was fabulous, and im not even a corn person. After such a gorgeous meal, we were both too full for dessert. I plan on saving room next time, as their dessert menu was impressive as wellSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The StandbyrvbddsDined on 2/8/2014As with our previous visits, the food was outstanding as well as the service. We've always enjoyed our dining here and it will continue to be one of our go to spots.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thank you!TammyDined on 2/8/2014We dined Saturday evening, party of 6. Food was great. Service was excellent!!! One of our party has food allergies. She gave the chef a note indicating what she could not eat and asked him to prepare whatever he thought would work. She was thrilled! Kudos to your Chef/Staff!! Thanks again!I would recommend this to a friend.
- One visitrkozDined on 2/4/2014Have only experienced the restaurant once. Not adequate for a critique. However, I did enjoy my first visit. Enjoyed the thinly sliced and crispy sweet potato chips, the mushroom soup was delicious, and the yellow-fin tuna sandwich was great but overcooked for rare.Special Features: