723 - 17th Ave SW
Calgary, AB T2S 0B6Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.bravabistro.com/
- Phone: 4032281854
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Wednesday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm; Thursday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Global, International, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Turner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Special Events: Our restaurant can accomodate up to 125 for a private event. Please contact email@example.com to enquire about your next special event!
The late night menu available until midnight, Thursday to Saturday has locals mingled along the bar enjoying chilled Martinis with mounds of clams or mugs of International Ales.
Everything about this restaurant is stylish from the plates, to the smooth grooves – even the staff!
While Brava has no pretensions to grandeur, the cooking is assured, the service is slick and the wine selection is one of the best you will find.
- Splendid, as always. We areOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/3/2013Splendid, as always. We are regulars at their first Sunday of the month special menus. Top-class food, especially the Irish Cheddar Soup, interestingly tangy lamb chop, and the biggest dessert we've ever been served. Waitress Laura was efficient, friendly, humorous, and - best of all - did not pester us with Is Everything Alright? every few minutes, which is the curse of so many restaurants. And, of course, kudos to the chef. Back next month!Special Features:
- Our #1 Restaurant in Calgary!amandaDined on 1/26/2013We absolutely adore Brava! We always try new places, and while we find restaurants to add to the favourite list - Brava is always our #1. Love the energy, love the service and love the food! I also love the wine list. Always something on there to fit our budget and anyone elses really. Simple, delicious flavours that aren't pretentious, yet they still impress.Special Features:
- Took my cleints for lunch.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 1/21/2013Took my cleints for lunch. 10 people. We were all very full and very satisfied. Great place and will be back again with my wife.Special Features:
- My favourite in Calgary - by far!amandaDined on 1/19/2013Brava is always going to be my favourite restaurant in Calgary I think. There's just something about this place. The food is good, and I love the decor. It's so trendy and not stuffy. I always feel comfortable there no matter what I am wearing and who I am with. Love love love!Special Features:
- The food was great and theOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/5/2013The food was great and the service was outstanding. Great cocktails and wine list. Definitely worth the price.Special Features:
- I dream of the musselsBack4moreDined on 1/4/2013We ordered the mussels, calamari pasta, braised pork shoulder with perogies and the lobster poutine. All of it was delicious especially the mussels which came with fries and a generous dollop of garlic aioli. When we ran out of fries, we used the remaining divine aioli on everything else. I need to return really soon. We finished the evening with a creme brule, a panna cotta and gingerbread cake. Once again, all of it was scrumptious!Special Features:
- The food was absolutely great!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/4/2013The food was absolutely great! Very high quality food, although the quantities were leaning a little to the small side. Tenderloin and short ribs were some of the best. The food arrived in a timely manner and the staff were very friendly. Only complaint would be that seating was crowded, and we ended up seated between two full tables which made getting in and out of the seats difficult.Special Features:
- Consistently good. I alwaysOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/3/2013Consistently good. I always enjoy my dining experiences at Brava. The service is always great, the food is always tasty. The house wines are good value for the price, the appetizers and salads are among the best available in the city. My biggest lamentation is that my favourite appetizer is missing: where's my mushroom, asparagus, pine nut bruschetta? (I know, the menu needs to be refreshed from time to time... I just found that one amazing).Special Features:
- Lots of Sizzle, But...JumpsterDined on 12/31/2012After several attempts to get a reservation throughout the year, we were finally proactive enough to book well in advance for New Year's Eve. We had heard a lot of hype about this place, so we were anxious to try it out. We were seated at an excellent table, and had a wonderful server. She was absolutely great! But...that's where it peaked. The food was only average. It was good, but nothing to write home about. I found the gimmicky tablet-driven wine list to be quite limited with its selections. We will try Brava Bistro once again, but it will not be high on the priority list for now. Our server did make it a worthwhile evening overall, though.Special Features:
- This was my second time atOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/30/2012This was my second time at Brava. Our table wasn't ready when we arrived, but we were sat at the bar and given complimentary sparkling wine. The service was excellent, and our waitress allowed us to sample three wines to find one we both enjoyed. I ordered my pasta without bacon and unfortunately the kitchen still added the pork to the dish, but the waitress was apologetic and offered a free glass of wine to each of us to make up for it, since I didn't want to wait another 25 minutes for my dish to be made while my dining partner's dish got cold. Overall, a wonderful experience :) The service makes up for any small inconvenience.Special Features:
- Brava!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/27/2012We went for dinner at Brava to celebrate the Christmas season (my brother and I with our spouses) and couldn't have asked for a better evening. The host was friendly and welcoming, opening the door for us on our way in. Our waitress (Heather) was AMAZING - so personable, very knowledgeable about the wine list and everything on the menu. The food - delicious. Everything was simple but fresh and tasty. My other half was in the mood for some seafood but nothing that was on the menu either fully appealed to him or fit his food allergies/restrictions, so Heather went back to the kitchen to talk to the chef. What came out on his plate was nothing short of incredible - he was so happy with it, he's still raving about it. A must-eat!!Special Features:
- Heard rave reviews of thisOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/27/2012Heard rave reviews of this place, but we found it just ok. MIght have been our server, or the fact that we were a little under the weather.Special Features:
- We went to this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/23/2012We went to this restaurant for our anniversery celebration. Very nice quiet environment; very fitting for bringing your date for dinner or for a wine. The seat was very comfortable and relaxing, feel like your own living room. The salmon steak with boiled spinach I had was a great piece of art!! Nicely displayed and the salmon was soft inside and juicy, yet the surface is crunchy. Overall, I really like the experience in this restaurant!!Special Features:
- Brava Bistro - More than a BistroSchneider42Dined on 12/23/2012Loved the wine selection app using a tablet. The wine was superb. Tremendous food at very reasonable prices. Service was excellent. Adding Brava to our list of favorite places to dine in Calgary for 2013.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/22/2012I've been to Brava Bistro several times and it had become my favourite restaurant. This recent visit disappointed me. The lobster poutine in particular. The fries were overcooked and tasted as if burnt. Four of us had two poutines to share and both dishes were the same. Each time I've had the poutine the amount of sauce has become less as well. Will be giving Brava Bistro a miss for a while.
- My boyfriend and I celebratedyycfoodieVIPDined on 12/21/2012My boyfriend and I celebrated my birthday at Brava after reading reviews about the wonderful food and service. Overall, I was impressed, but the restaurant was really cold inside and it was quite pricey for what you get. I will definitely return in the future!Special Features:
- Some great menu options atCowtownFoodieVIPDined on 12/20/2012Some great menu options at a reasonable price. Servings are generous. Service was good. Overall though, was not a fabulous experience, just average.Special Features:
- Service sub-par as far asalbertafoodiesDined on 12/20/2012Service sub-par as far as keeping beverages flowing. Maybe server was allotted too many tables for her to attend well to.Special Features:
- Fantastic wine list and seasonalRitzyDined on 12/19/2012Fantastic wine list and seasonal bistro cuisine. Perfect place for an intimate dinner for two, a business lunch or for dining with a group of friends.Special Features:
- Our experience at Brava wasMochiDined on 12/18/2012Our experience at Brava was top notch as usual. Thank you for consistently being the perfect dining experience.Special Features:
- Overall excellent - went forOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/18/2012Overall excellent - went for a dinner date with my sister for her birthday and we loved it - we will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- This has been a favouriterammerVIPDined on 12/15/2012This has been a favourite restaurant of mine but the food was less than good on this visit. Everything else was great.Special Features:
- The food was very good but.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/14/2012The food was very good but. I left hungry. I don't normally have to order an appie. I think a bit more on ththe plate would be wiseSpecial Features:
- Although we loved the saladsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/9/2012Although we loved the salads and desserts we had at Brava Bistro, our main courses were good but not great.Special Features:
- Missed the mark (this time)DLPCANADAVIPDined on 12/6/2012Normally I am rave about the food at Brava. This lunch was an exception. The special was a chicken pot pie and it was - hmm, nothing short of horrible. The chicken tasted like rubber and was full of gristle. I should have ordered something from the menu, but was swayed by the great description of the chicken special. Next time, I will stick to crispy cracklin chicken or any other number of regular items.Special Features:
- The food was excellent andOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/5/2012The food was excellent and the Lobster poutine was the best I have every had. Many thanks to chef Kevin for coming out to talk to us after the meal. it was a very personal touch. We will be back.Special Features:
- Service was amazing! FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/4/2012Service was amazing! Food was good, but dessert was awesome. Gave us a complementary dessert for my Birthday :)Special Features:
- Can only repeat previous reviews.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/2/2012Can only repeat previous reviews. We regularly attend the First-Sunday special dinners, which tells its own story. Food, wine, service all splendid. Shall recur as often as possible.Special Features:
- We went on a Sunday when allOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/2/2012We went on a Sunday when all that was offered was a set Sunday dinner menu. The food was okay. I had a chicken pot pie. The other main dish choices were a seafood risotto and red meat dish. Service was great and ambiance was nice. Perhaps I'll try it again when they have the regular menu.
- Great service!! Very friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/1/2012Great service!! Very friendly and accommodating, took my wife here for her 30th bday and absolutely loved it.Special Features:
- A disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/30/2012Avenue Magazine had picked Brava Bistro as the #1 overall best restaurant in Calgary. There is no way it is even close. The food was average. I had the chicken and it was nowhere near as good as at, say Boxwood for a lot less, or at restaurants like River Cafe. The mussels were fine, but my wife's are much better, and desser was just average. Service though was excellent and it definitely has an energetic vibe. Good place to meet friends, have a good glass of wine ... but not if you're serious about the food.Special Features:
- Wonderful all roundOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/29/2012Have been to some of the best restaurants in Calgary, Brava matched the likes of Rouge in my opinion. Service was great, food was delicious yet reasonably priced, overall, just nice to be able to go out to a great restaurant and not feel like it is trying to do anything extraordinary, other than serve wonderful food in the right way.Special Features:
- Pleasant lunch - nothing specialMoiraVIPDined on 11/27/2012I've never understood why this restaurant gets such accolades. The food is reliably good but not particularly inventive or creative. Service was pleasant but again, nothing special - just solid and reasonably attentive. Over all a pleasant business lunch but personally, I would come back if someone else wanted to go but I'm not excited about going back any time soon.Special Features:
- Can't wait to go back!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/24/2012We held our small company Christmas party (10 adults) at Brava. None of us had ever been before but we booked there based on reviews found on the internet. Within our group, we have some world travelers and food and wine lovers. All of us agreed that is was one of the best meals we've had. We are all looking forward to our next visit to Brava, hopefully in the near future.Special Features:
- For my retirement luncheon,DTM0603Dined on 11/23/2012For my retirement luncheon, two friends and I decided to try a something new and booked a reservation at Brava Bistro. Although this restaurant has a lovely ambiance, the overall experience was subpar. The presentation of the food was unappealing and the chicken burger and fries were cold. The bacon on the burger was so dried out, it fell out of the bun. I ordered a latte; which arrived without foam, lukewarm and tasted like dishwater. We will not return here.
- Food was excellent. HeardOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/21/2012Food was excellent. Heard of Brava's previous awards and recognition as being one the city's restaurants to take in while in Calgary. Also came highly recommended by one of the locals in my party.Special Features:
- We had an amazing time hereOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2012We had an amazing time here and would highly recommend! Heather and Justin were fantastic servers.Special Features:
- We always enjoy Brava - greatlouiseDined on 11/19/2012We always enjoy Brava - great soup & warm gingerbread cake!Special Features:
- Nice place to eat, nice atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/18/2012Nice place to eat, nice atmosphere and staff very accomodatingSpecial Features:
- Great waitstaff and hostess.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/15/2012Great waitstaff and hostess. Party of 5 and well looked after. Meat preparation, presentation and flavor was great. Pasta dishes were so-so. Clam specialty was big disappointment. Pasta was over done to the point of being mushy and was very cool in temperature. Likely sitting on the sideline waiting for the other dishes to be finished. Would have sent it back if it wouldn't have disrupted our meal. Other pasta dish was mediocre. Chocolate orange martini seemed like a very short pour, especially for the price.