718 South St
Philadelphia, PA 19147-2023Neighborhood:
GermanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.brauhausschmitz.com/
- Phone: 2679098814
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Sunday: 11:30am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: German
- Executive Chef: Jeremy Nolen
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Private Room, Takeout
- Catering: Off-site catering is available.
A word from Brauhaus Schmitz
Philadelphia magazine has honored Brauhaus Schmitz with three “Best of” titles in their annual “Best of Philly” issues. Open since 2009, the restaurant has revived the city’s love affair with its ethnic heritage and reintroduced a whole generation of Philadelphians to the foods of their forefathers. In addition, Hager is the owner of Wursthaus Schmitz in historic Reading Terminal Market, a sandwich and cured meats shop that specializes in made-to-order dishes and German-style products for sale by the pound. To complement the much-lauded food at Brauhaus, Hager continues to grow its outstanding beer list. By cultivating close relationship with brewers during his visits to Germany, Hager procures 29 of his 30 taps from there, many of which he pours exclusively among the city, state and even the country. Most of his 100-bottle list is also imported from Germany.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Brauhaus Schmitz - Best Restaurants in Queen Village ›
Brauhaus Schmitz reviews from OpenTable diners
94 reviews since May 23, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (56)vibrant bar scene (41)fit for foodies (35)neighborhood gem (29)hot spot (21)great for lunch (19)special occasion (17)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (10)notable wine list (4)great for brunch (3)romantic (1)scenic view (1)great for outdoor dining (1)Show More
- Don't changea thingOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/16/2014I have been to Brauhaus Schmitz a few times and there has never been any complaints. Everything is alway AMAZING, from the greeting when you walk in the door to the exceptional food and wonderful service! Keep up the great work.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great visit to start of OctoberfestOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/13/2014Gave this restaurant a try on a rainy Saturday. Was there for my son's 15th birthday. We had planned a day at the beach but the rain kept us in town. He is studying German in school so thought we'd give the Brauhaus a try. He enjoyed the scene and the food very much. Atmosphere is great, food was very good and the beer list was immense. Potato pancakes, goulash, pickled beets and wiener schnitzel were all perfectly done. All in all this turned out to be an excellent choice.Special Features:
- don't order the main coursetoomuchfatneveragainDined on 9/12/2014the appetizers were delicious..the soup was good, the cabbage salad was wonderful. Unfortunately the main course was disgusting. I ordered a pork dish that was covered in congealed gravy and when I flipped it over to look at the meat over half the meat was gross fat.the apple strudel dessert was just so-so. the wait staff was wonderful the beer was delicious but I'll never eat there again.Special Features:
- Loud and RushedBKEPDined on 9/11/2014The noise from the bar area was very loud making conversation at the table nearly impossible. While it is a good choice for sampling German food and beer, they don't give you the time to enjoy it. Though the restaurant wasn't full, entree and dessert courses arrived before we were finished with the previous course.
- Great Birthday DinnerHeatherDined on 9/10/2014I took my partner here for his birthday, during restaurant week. The menu was great, the food did not disappoint (delicious and a lot of it), and as always the beer list was outstanding. Our server was nice and attentive. Overall, a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/9/2014Should have ordered either wurst or specials but was on a diet. My companion ordered off the specials and had a really excellent meal. Goulash was excellent , rich meaty gravy. Schnitzels were well-prepared. Great beer list which many at the bar were enjoying. Apple strudel was excellent. Would go again. Probably this filling fare better suited to cool months.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TrulyHappyDined on 9/6/2014Wonderful food, atmosphere, and service. Brauhaus is doing all the important things very well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sausage Fest!ObliquityDined on 9/3/2014Birthday dinner for my girlfriend, early on a Wed night. Excellent German draft beer selection. Started with the Käseplatte, which was one of the better that I've had, due to the yummy sides and bread (cheese was good, as well). We split the Wurst Brett for the main course, which was a board with all six types of sausage and two large sides. This was enough food for four people! While all of the sausages were delicious, I didn't feel that there was enough a difference between 4 of the 6, in terms of flavor, and I quickly realized our mistake. I will certainly return for more beer and to try some of the other entree's, but I've had my fill of sausage for a while :)Special Features:
- Terrific German StyleadwalkDined on 9/2/2014Beers are imported. I found a beer that I actually like. The food was very good but a little salty.Special Features:
- Amazing!!!RosysDined on 8/16/2014That's all I have to say! Just amazing! Fast service, great food and amazing variety of bear!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YUM!!TwinsonamissionVIPDined on 8/16/2014Will most certainly be dining and drinking here again VERY soon! We did some pre- theater dining here and it was a great decision! It was early, 12:00 when we ate so there were not that many people there. The beer was a great and the food makes you want to return to try everything else on the menu. If you want domestic beer, this is not the place, but the waiters will most certainly be able to lead you in the right direction as far as something that is far better than the usual bottles of beer! GO!! You will not be disappointed!Special Features:
- GREAT GERMAN FOODSullyVIPDined on 8/11/2014Celebrated our son's birthday here, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves!! Great beers, Food and Service!Special Features:
- Great, authentic German foodNETWODined on 8/4/2014After a mix up about our reservation and one food order, the food we received was excellent and the restaurant acknowledged their mistakes and offered us complementary desserts which were also excellent.Special Features:
- Steven hartwickGrouchyDined on 8/2/2014Great service and food. the noise level can be a problem, a little oompa music wouldn't hurt either. We will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb atmosphere and German food!PaulanerDined on 8/2/2014This brauhaus is about as authentic as you'll find anywhere. Reminded me of many in Germany and Austria. Atmosphere perfect without being overdone or kitschy. Real German food was excellent. We had several classic dishes (sauerbraten, rouladen, pork schnitzel) and were just right, in taste and portion size. Beer list is impressive - both on draught and bottled. Good wines too for the non-beer drinker. Waitress friendly and with a smile on her face the whole time. This place is a gem. WILL be coming back, hopefully many times over.Special Features:
- Brauhaus SchmitzOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014My wife, my son-in-law and I went for dinner to celebrate my birthday. Lots of great great German beers on tap (beers for all tastes are available in bottles). Beer was excessively pricey driving our bill way up. The entrees and sides we ordered were competent, but not outstanding. The Flammkuchen we had for an appetizer was lively and delicious. The apple strudel I had for dessert was not at all distinctive. I was also disappointed that a couple of the beers we looked forward to having on tap were not available. The server was friendly and attentive. On the whole, we had a very pleasant evening and will return at some point, but not soon because of the price.Special Features:
- solid neighborhood barMicheleDined on 7/26/2014Good food and drinks, a little noisy for dinner on a Saturday night but great for lunch or to grab a drink.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Germany comes to PhillyRJOPRDined on 7/26/2014OK...my wife is a chef, and German...so I don't go out for good food alone. I like the total experience, and Brauhaus Schmitz had it all. Gretchen had the Wurst...I'm vegan and don't go there. I had the Mushroom and Smoked Barley Pilz Strudel...and it was great. Saurkraut...YUM! The beer selection is exactly what one would expect from a beer house...whiskey not so much...but that was to be expected. The only down side was the pretzel and we don't take points off for that. No restaurant yet has come up with a true German pretzel...they are too hard to make...bulk fermenting, refrigerating, and then there is the food grade lye...but the average person wouldn't know better. So even at 4 bucks for a bad pretzel...the place still gets 5 stars!Special Features:
- Very authentic!Steakluva24VIPDined on 7/26/2014We had a great time and meal. The food was simply amazing, very authentic and plenty. I left a little room for dessert. The apple strudel was simply amazing, the best I have ever had in any restraunt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistent and tastyOneHappyRestaurantGoerDined on 7/18/2014Brauhaus Schmitz has consistently good German food and an excellent selection of German beers. We enjoyed appetizers, salad, and main courses. Unlike many so-called German restaurants that have adequate food, this restaurant is a level higher, with authentic food that is of great quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for a night out with friendslittlejDined on 7/18/2014Typical German brewhouse atmosphere. Nice variety of entree options, excellent, friendly service. Portions were very generous! Food was hearty, flavorful, and spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Word Cup FeverYodiVIPDined on 7/12/2014Here the Saturday Night before the World Cup and the place was hopping. What great German food. I travel to Germany often and this is as good as it gets. Real authentic. Beers are out of this world too. You must try this casual dining but expect to leave stuffed. The servers were so friendly and attentive.
- Good food -luv2eatDined on 7/5/2014The food was very good but we found the atmosphere to be very disappointing. This is really a sports bar and not a German Brauhaus. It was so loud we had difficulty talking to each other.Special Features:
- nlm10Dined on 6/27/2014Beef roulaide was excellent, multchausen just ok as was the veal schnitzle. A bit dissapointing.
- Solid German Food Amazing Beer ListHappyBeeDined on 6/27/2014I love that the servers are so knowlegable about beer and all the reccommendations were spot on. The food is delicious with very generous portions. We had a soft pretzel, sauerkraut fritters, potato pancakes (don't miss those), schnitzel, red cabbage and fantastic sausages.Special Features:
- Good Germn cuisineDinerDined on 6/25/2014There is a great menu of German specialties. Hard to choose which to have. The roulade were excellent. Spargel is a great appetizer. Large portions enough for dinner the next day at home.Special Features:
- I will give them a second chanceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014...cause we were there on Father's Day during the world cup. It was busy, we had to wait for our table, our food was delivered to and eaten by another table, management did buy us a round of beers and got our food to us soon after. The biggest problem was it was SO LOUD in there I couldn't even hear the waiter. Perhaps the volume on the dozens of TV's could have been on mute, cause you couldn't hear them anyway.Special Features:
- Love this placeHunterDined on 6/15/2014Everything about Brauhaus suits me to a "T." Great beer list, meat-centric menu, always soccer on tv. It feels like I am on vacation in Germany every time I come.Special Features:
- Noise level was beyond measure.Katrina4Dined on 6/14/2014I could not hear anyone at my own table. Too much stimulation to even enjoy the meal (both noise and large-screen TV's). Our waitress was wonderful and very attentive.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceLuxeLambDined on 6/13/2014This is a cozy restaurant with a friendly atmosphere and modern style. I love that the menu is purely German and there are no attempts at mass appeal by sneaking in items that are non-German so that the pickiest or least adventurous eater will be happy. If you don't like to try new things and you don't like beer, pick another restaurant. They have an extensive beer and wine list and it's such a comfortable atmosphere that you can return again and again to work your way through the selections. Get your most interesting friends together and plan to stay awhile so you can take advantage of what this place has to offer.Special Features:
- Good German Food!HazelineDined on 6/7/2014On a Saturday evening, we almost left before being seated due to the noise level. But the hostess found us a quieter spot (relatively speaking), and we stayed, as we are both fond of German cuisine. It was worth tolerating the enthusiastic crowd. The beer selection was great, and the food was real German, in spicing, preparation, freshness, and flavor. We both thoroughly enjoyed the food, and will certainly come back on a weeknight, which our delightful server promised us would be much quieter! Just don't take a date on a Saturday night, if you are interested in conversation. If you are interested in sports, and like to holler, it is THE place.
- Delectable German cuisineOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 5/31/2014This is a great restaurant with delicious food. It's sure to be enjoyed by children and adults alike.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, slow servicethisisastupidrequirementVIPDined on 5/28/2014My fiance and i split a bratwurst platter and there was a ton of food for only $28. It was a great value, and the wursts, sauerkraut and potato pancakes were all fabulous. ONly complaint was that there seemed to only be one waitress on duty so she was seating/serving and it took a while to get waited on. Food came out pretty quick though.
- Definitely worth tryingArchern69Dined on 5/24/2014There's not many good authentic German bar restaurants around this area. But this is a really great place. It's really nice in there. And so much bigger than it looks from the outside. The German beer and wine list is huge. And the food was even better than I expected. And the portions were big. I couldn't finish my meal. I will definitely be back there. Check it out!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Champions League FinalIsaacDined on 5/24/2014Great beer. Great screen. Champions league final without German teams playing was still fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- tubaboneDined on 5/24/2014Looking for traditional German cuisine excellently prepared? Check out Brauhaus Schmitz. Like incredible and exclusive German Beers? Check out Brauhaus Schmitz. Like a fun vibrant place to hang out with family and/or friends? Brauhaus Schmitz. Whether you are a German food expert or a newbie, you will love the flavors of the food here. Lots of great choices on the menu. The smoked/aged meats and wursts are first class and house made! German potato salad, red cabbage, spaetzle, even the big soft pretzel are all perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BarralaDined on 5/23/2014The food was very good. We enjoyed a wurst platter and all were delicious. Service was very good. Beer selection was extensive.Special Features:
- stymieDined on 5/23/2014great selection of beers,good food great service!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 8 reviews are from the Brauhaus Schmitz reviews archive.
- Good Fun but Food too SaltygritmuncherDined on 5/21/2014We were a group of 9 and had a great table which was very comfy. They actually gave us the choice to sit in the back room on a long table with big chairs or near the main bar on a smaller table. The smaller table was better since everybody can hear each other which would not have been the case on the longer table. Service and the beer were great but we had some issues with the food. We had many different dishes and all thought that the food (the roladen & sausages especially) was much too salty. I was not aware that they had a Hax'n Braten on the menu so we tested it and it was very good. Not as good as at the City Tavern but almost as good! If you never had one of these then you have to try one, but bring a good appetite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great German BierhausWashadelphianDined on 5/17/2014Brauhaus Schmitz is the best German dining I've had in Philadelphia. Everything about this restaurant was solid - near exceptional. I'd highly recommend for a group or reunion. Great atmosphere, great beer selection and good food and service. Although a little loud when we dined (we were hosting family), it was nonetheless a very good experience. Price was reasonable as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.