Brasserie Monte Carlo
7929 Norfolk Avenue
Bethesda, MD 20814Neighborhood:
Bethesda / Chevy Chase
FrenchPrice: $30 and under
Brasserie Monte Carlo
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.brasseriemontecarlo.com/
- Phone: 3016569225
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday & Sunday: 11:30am - 3:30pm; Lunch: Monday - Friday : 11:30am - 2:30pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday and Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Sunday: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Sonny Abraham
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Cafe, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area (patio only), View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: We will create individual lunches for your next gathering. We will provide a box lunch for each person. Full catered meals can be at our restaurant or your location. Specialize in French, Italian and Mediterranean Cuisine. Outdoor event consultation free. 27 year's experience.
- Special Events: Open on most Holiday's.
Pre-Fixe menus available on Holiday's.
A word from Brasserie Monte Carlo
If you are looking for a unique place to go for brunch, lunch, or dinner, Brasserie Monte Carlo is the place to go. Stepping into the restaurant, one can not help but notice the beautiful mural (designed by Dianne Hoppman) that takes up the whole right wall, and the rustic decor that helps add warmth to the room. Sonny Abraham owner/chef of Brasserie Monte Carlo has been in the restaurant business since 1985. Sonny has done a wonderful job of staffing his restaurant with only the best. He personally completed his culinary training in Lausanne, Switzerland and his matre d' worked at the Watergate Hotel in Washington, DC. It is truly a team effort at Brasserie Monte Carlo, at times you may even see Sonny waiting on a table to help his staff out, or helping in the kitchen or even providing wine service. Sonny's goal is to bring the taste of Washington's well known restaurants to downtown Bethesda but for a fraction of the cost maintaining quality, value and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Brasserie Monte Carlo reviews from OpenTable diners
46 reviews since May 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (19)romantic (16)great for outdoor dining (16)fit for foodies (13)special occasion (9)great for brunch (7)great for lunch (5)notable wine list (3)good for groups (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Reliable restaurantjjccVIPDined on 8/17/2014We always have a good dinner here. The specials are usually excellent. We had very tasty escargot, a boring salad, and a delicious steak. Also, the rockfish was perfectly cooked.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The "TEST" of time 15 Years!FoodiesDined on 8/15/2014I have been coming here for almost 15 years now. It is one of the few restaurants, still chef/owner operated. great food and service. Also one of the few restaurants certified/verified by the US Health Food Council. eatreal.org great for outdoor dining. The escargot and filet was amazing.Special Features:
- I was very disappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014The dinner was very mediocre, I will not go back. The salmon was over cook and had can mussels with a Pernod sauce, salad must of been seating all day was not fresh.Special Features:
- less than enjoyable experiencesustylersDined on 8/8/2014Used Groupon not worth it. Empty restaurant, high traffic area. 2 people @ outside tables none inside. Ordered 2 Arugula Salads w/ Goat Cheese & Almonds. Too small & too lightly dressed but it & the (1st rolls) were the best part of the meal. French onion Soup was pathetic. Far from authentic, lacked croutons, watery & overpriced. Grilled Salmon w/ Mussels & Duck Breast w/ Braised Cabbage. Salmon was bland, sauce would've been better from a jar. The duck was laughable. 5 small medallions 3/4 fat & the little meat there was was not cook properly. The 5 pieces of carrot & cabbage was salty. Tiramisu, all whipped cream & Green Apple Tarte w/ doughy crust & Vanilla Ice Cream that was more like tasteless ice milk completed a disappointing nite.
- Great food!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/8/2014I had a work meeting in Bethesda and found this place through Restaurant.com. I wasn't expecting much but it ended up being fabulous. The food was just outstanding. I had Butternut Squash soup to start and then lamb stew. My husband got a salad and the duck. All of the food was out of this world, flavorful and delicious. We had a great bottle of Bordeaux. Would highly recommend.Special Features:
- Nice for special occasionsOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/8/2014This has now become a family favorite for special celebrations.The food is always excellent and the service is very good.Special Features:
- Good food at Brasserie Monte CarloleniVIPDined on 8/1/2014Monte Carlo is a wonderful staple! the food is predictable and good. Service is knowledgeable and the restaurant is seldom overly noisy. we have been to group parties when the entire restaurant was taken which was superb and we have been to a quiet lunch. Both to be savored. They do fish particularly well, though escargot is not to be missed. Most enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- France on a Bethesda cornerOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 6/29/2014My friend and I went here on a Groupon 3 course meal. On an early Sunday evening, the restaurant was almost empty, though it was filling out when we left. The service seemed personal and pleasant, though not at all rushed. The food was good. Nothing was amazing but nothing disappointed. I had a lovely onion tart to begin, followed by the salmon and the chocolate mousse cake. My friend had arugula salad, lamb stew and fruit tarte. With the Groupon, the price was moderate, but it would not have been extreme without it for a full meal. A pleasant place to eat and talk.Special Features:
- Always excellent foodlorimcDined on 6/22/2014As always, the food was excellent, prepared exactly as ordered. The escargot is some of the best I've ever had. We were dining here on our wedding anniversary and they went out of their way to make us feel welcome.Special Features:
- Reliable but...AngelmomDined on 6/18/2014Met friends for dinner. The food is reliably good and the setting pretty, and it is easy to talk and hear. On this night, unfortunately, they were out of many food/menu/bar items, which was disappointing and annoying when we were told this for the third (but not last) time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 6/12/2014I have had a good meal here. But, last night food was not so great. Waiters very nice, but does not make up for water-down taste of food.
- Delicious food!DeliciousnessDined on 6/7/2014The food and the service were terrific. The fettucini carbonara was light and delicious! Great quiet ambiance!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice casual with great food!joyceanDined on 6/1/2014I've eaten lunch at the Brasserie Monte Carlo a few times a couple of years back but not dinner. The menu is somewhat different for dinner. My husband and friend said the appetizer of anchovies marinated in olive oil and fresh basil was excellent. Lemon caper sauce with chopped tomatoes served a top all fish dishes was very tasty--nice Mediterranean touch. Unusual sides -- 1 thick roasted potato slice and saute lettuce for sides was actually very good. The only disappointment was the coconut sorbet, strong coconut flavor but rather bland --something was missing. My husband said the Tiramisu was wonderful. All in all great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, easy conversationfoodmavenDined on 5/23/2014Our dinner on 5/23/14 was very nice. It's a small, charming restaurant, and it wasn't loud and noisy so we were able to have a great conversation without shouting. The food and martinis were delicious. It took them a while to first take our order, and then to bring us some bread (it was still baking, we were told), but then the service was decent. The staff didn't rush us, we were able to enjoy our meal for a nice amount of time. The green apple tart with ice cream at the end was warm and fabulous. I would definitely recommend this restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Pleasant Brunch SceneLadyLawyerDined on 5/18/2014My fiance and I took my Great Aunt to brunch last Sunday and we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The food was good, but the neighborhood charm of the place was arguably the best aspect of the experience! We will absolutely come back again.Special Features:
- Return Visit Yields Happy Family!PotomacDinerVIPDined on 5/17/2014My wife and I dined here a few times during the winter (by ourselves, with out-of-town friends, and with our teenager daughters) and were always quite pleased. We returned this weekend with our college student son in tow, as well as his sisters. This was our first visit in at least a couple of months, but Sonny/staff all welcomed us as though we were their most important regulars. They remembered our previous selections and preferences, and simply outdid themselves. We returned to old favorites (the angus medallions and braised short ribs) while our kids enjoyed a shrimp-stuffed-with-crabmeat special. Both the tiramisu and the green apple tart were crowd pleasers. My wife noted the attractive outdoor seating "for next time."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingUKFoodiesVIPDined on 5/17/2014After reading so many good reviews of Brasserie Monte Carlo, I was looking forward to redeeming a Groupon for two 3-course meals with my husband. Unfortunately our experience did not live nearly as close to the hype. We arrived for dinner on a Saturday night, and the restaurant was half-full, but service was exceedingly slow. After uninspiring starters (garden salad with fennel and canned sardines with salad); our mains arrived. My trout with tomatoes, onions and capers in a white wine sauce tasted of canned tomatoes and was luke-warm. I'm not sure the trout was very fresh either. My husband's beef was OK but we were turned off by what was obviously re-heated potato fondants. Warm apple tart was only just about warm and tasted stale.
- Overpriced Food / Average ServiceJollyDinerDined on 5/11/2014The price I paid for this Mother's Day meal was just too much. The butter with the rolls was very hard, the pork chop I ask for at medium was very well done and tough (it would have been nice to have a steak knife). Add to this having to ask for silverware when our forks are taken with our salads, somebody is not on the ball. The desserts were very good (I had the chocolate mousse and some of the apple tart). For such a nice looking place, it is always a shame that the food and service do not live up to this nice location.
- Mother's Day BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/11/2014The Mother's Day Brunch was a pre-fixed menu that was over-priced for the dish. The pork chop had a delicious sauce, but the dish was overcooked. The duck was cooked to order and the sauce hit the spot. The shrimp and crab dish had small portions, needed at least two more shrimp. The steak was served cold with a warm sauce -- the favor was very good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CharmingPeteDined on 5/10/2014This was a very satisfying experience. We were seated and pleasantly offered beverages and then advised of the daily specials. This restaurant offered a good range of foods. The menu prices were moderate. The various flavors were appealing and portions were above ample' The service was pleasant and attentive. Will return at some future date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DecentRyanVIPDined on 5/3/2014To sum up the food is very good and everything else is mediocre. Our escargot and salad took an hour to come out. Our main dishes 30+ minutes after that. The duck breast was amazing, wish there was a little more. We'll probably give it another shot at some point.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 351 reviews are from the Brasserie Monte Carlo reviews archive.
- Classic French!MaestraKKVIPDined on 4/28/2014I always love this restaurant! The last 2 visits have been in rainy wicked weather -- beautiful to be indoors eating warming French fare!! Limited wine list, but all good. I love the onion tart for appetizer -- just the right balance of sweet soft carmelized onions and teeny chewy ham cubes in flaky pastry, and perfect with the fresh dressed greens and thin tomato slices. I had the "osso bucco style" ribs -- melt-in-your-mouth meat and richly flavored carrots from the long braising in red wine. Really perfect for the cold night. Friendly, professional service. A great start to my DC visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden gemOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 4/23/2014Located in the older downtown Bethesda neighborhood on Norfolk at Cordell. Hard to understand why there aren't long lines at lunch and dinner. The food was first rate; there was great service and a lovely streetscape view. This was my third meal there. They've all been good.Special Features:
- Special Easter BrunchJoeDDined on 4/20/2014Special fixed-price 3-course meal replaced the normal Sunday brunch menu but the options were varied and the end result was a pleasant experience top to bottom. We have eater here before, both for lunch and dinner, and always seem to get great food at reasonable prices, with friendly service and peaceful ambiance. With all the restaurants in Bethesda, this one shouldn't be passed by. Give them a try.Special Features:
- The test of time, 14 year's strong!FoodiesDined on 4/17/2014My partner and I, had dinner on the now open patio, with our puppy. The food and service amazing. Even the chef stopped by briefly. I had the escargot, being a word traveler, very well made. My partner had the fish of the day, Wild Alaskan Cod, a light wine fennel sauce, very good. I had the filet medallions, the sauce was 'licked". For dessert the Apple tarte, nice. We had a Spanish Rose', light and crisp, more Grenache, therefore not very dry. Great place for people watching! Sam was great. We will be back for brunch. A good place to relax, with our puppy.Special Features:
- As a return custom, we alwaysLindaVIPDined on 4/11/2014As a return custom, we always find the food to be fresh and delicious! Your food is cooked to order and served hot. We recommend the fish dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingRWoodBVIPDined on 4/8/2014I rate the food in a restaurant very good or excellent only if the ingredients are at least as good as those I use at home and the flavors are better than those I am able to create at home. In this case, the beef medallions were not of the quality I purchase for home use and the flavors were only fair. Also disappointing was the salad dressing. The selection of wines by the glass is very limited and features wines that generally sell for $10 or less a bottle when one purchases a case. .
- UnderstaffedOldProfessorDined on 4/5/2014On a Saturday night there were only two servers and no support staff. They were running, but inevitably there was poor service. We had to ask for silverware and napkins. We never received bread, although other tables did. Our request fro coffee and tea were forgotten.
- Food was OKKensingtonDined on 4/4/2014It is pretty quiet on a Friday evening, which we did not mind. The food was OK, nothing to scream about. The server was helpful to recommend us to buy the wine in a bottle vs. a glass as we are allowed to take home the left over wine. It is a cheaper option than by the glass if you drink more than one glass.I would recommend this to a friend.
- ok restaurant. like the smallbarnVIPDined on 3/29/2014ok restaurant. like the small size, nothing special on the menu. terrible cappuccino. Would not rush back
- Nice little french bistroUStFoodieVIPDined on 3/29/2014My wife and I got a groupon. I was kind of weary based on past reviews, but in the end I was pleasantly surprised. I had smoked salmon, duck, and chocolate mousse. Salmon salad was good. Duck was kind of a fatty, but portion was fine. The mousse wasnt anything special. My wife had beet salad and cod (special); both were better choices than mine. She had the apple tart for dessert, which was good, but nothing special as well. As for the tables being too closed together; we didnt have this problem being seated near the windows. I could see if you were seated along the wall, the tables might be closed together. My recommendation is to have dinner early, so that you have your pick of tables. Our reservation was at 6:30 on Sat night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice FindEarlVIPDined on 3/16/2014This was our first time @ this establishment and we are already looking to go back!Special Features:
- Great meal and servicekarlpDined on 3/16/2014We had a great meal here. My wife is allergic to gluten and dairy, so we don't eat out much. Sonny and Sam were very responsive to our concerns and provided excellent service. There were not a lot of options on the menu for my wife, but she loved the one she picked! Thanks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We enjoyed our three courseRitaDined on 3/15/2014We enjoyed our three course meal, everything was well prepared.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinnerOccasionalDinerDined on 3/7/2014My husband and I had a great time dining here on our first anniversary. The servers were friendly and helpful. The food, wine, and desert were delicious! It's definitely worth dining here on a special occasion.Special Features:
- Great find in BethesdaWondering12Dined on 3/6/2014I love a restaurant where they know you personally. Everything is to like about Brasserie Monte Carlo. It is cozy on a cold night, as it was when we went there recently with four other people. We can depend on the food and service being excellent and are happy to take friends. It is a relaxing ambiance. It is everything a restaurant should be in our opinion. The owner, who is a chef, really cares about his customers and the restaurant's reputation, which is reassuring to know. Did I mention good value--you get that as well. It is still a lesser known gem of a place--and I like it that way! You definitely feel great after an evening out at Brasserie.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The perfect spotShashDined on 2/23/2014We arrived 15 minutes early before they opened for a Sunday Brunch, but they welcomed us in and treated us to a complimentary glass of "bubbly". A window seat and no noise completed a fine place to visit. Sheila in Washington.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Well done French MediterraneanPotomacDinerVIPDined on 2/15/2014This rather small restaurant was packed on a Saturday evening, but the service was friendly, prompt and efficient. My wife ordered the filet medallions and loved the peppercorn sauce. I had the osso bucco style short ribs and would recommend them to any fan of that dish. The owner helped us pick a Languedoc that accompanied our choices nicely and was well priced; he also had it decanted for us. We both enjoyed the green apple tarte for dessert and thought it was outstanding. We look forward to returning and trying some different dishes. There was one large group celebrating a birthday near us, hence our description of the noise level as "energetic." My guess is that on an average night, it would be quieter--perhaps moderate.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- V Day - not a normal night outErScDined on 2/14/2014Although I read similar reviews, we tried it anyway. The food was good (not particularly to my partner's liking or overly inspired). But there are WAY too many tables packed WAY too tightly together. Plus, even though it was a fixed menu, service didn't seem to be all that great. We waited about 10 mins to get water and a menu and I heard someone behind me say they waited 15 mins. I'd try again, but I'm not sure if my partner is up for itSpecial Features:
- Great service, great foodlorimcDined on 2/13/2014Even in the snowy weather, this neighborhood gem was still open and serving. Excellent service and ambiance. Definitely a go-to place for a special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.